What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

delbuster

hungry
i think they are about the same. buzzsaw has more lows so it can the opponent a lot but it doesn't do much damage. tempest can't open up the opponent as easily but every hit can turn into 40% or more so that's the balance of it.

Is Tempest now better than Buzzsaw? What do the KL Lao players think?
Buzzsaw is better imo. Tempest variation has

- safe overhead launcher
- ex hat spin to extend blockstrings
- high damage

Imo activating hat spin and running in should be used sparingly, because when you activate hat spin you are kind of already announcing that you are getting in. So the opponent will probably not get hit by the hat spin. If they block the hat spin your hat will be gone for 3 sec, which pretty much leaves you at disadvantage because all his strings are - on block and you don't have the hat so you don't have the threat of ex spin. It is better to just get in and then use ex hat spin to extend pressure.

In buzzsaw you have a lot more space control. Rushdown and defense are both superior. The only thing it doesn't have compared to tempest is raw damage.

WATCHD0G

Noob
And you can get some good timing down on the moving spin then there is much fun to be had. not gonna lie i thin i may have finally found my main.

mrtom

Noob
This is one of main midscreen combos- f23 xx df1, b321 xx df1(ex), njp, d2. Is it possible to end with njp, jk-dk, d2 after the ex df1? If I do ex df1, njp, jk-dive kick I can't seem to ever connect a d2 after so I just skip the dive kick since d2 does more damage. I'd really like to maximize the damage but i don't want to spend a lot of time in the lab trying to land a combo that's not possible.

On another note, I won't go back to buzzsaw, tempest ex spin has got to be one of the best specials in the game. My only complaint is no low starter so mixups aren't the greatest but ex cyclone is so strong I can kind of understand why he doesn't have one.

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
Even though Kung lao isnt one of the stronger characters in the game, tempest and buzzsaw could complement each other if they made the hat spin useful.
may i ask you a question, am new to mkx, who do you consider the stronger characters in this game(top 10), could you list them for me, i like lao and and kenshi balanced

mrtom

Noob
Top 10 is more opinion but top 3-5 seems pretty consistent among most players. I personally think the strongest characters (in no particular order): Quan Chi, Raiden, Kung Jin, Sonya and Erron Black. Quan Chi Summoner is probably the strongest character in the game, the others listed are very strong but somewhat close.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
so then how do u make good use of his spinning hat?
end combos with it then run up to them and hover over them before they wake. and if you feel they will ex block with that hat spinning around you. they will wakeup to a stun into combo if they dont armor but, its worth it if they do, cuz they ex for nothing when you block after running up to them;)

its dangerous for them when they wake up with normals!

its also used for general confusion, just throw it up to scare them back then rush when they flinch.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Don't know if your are being sarcastic or not but people like Pig of the hut and others have him bottom 8 in the game. Maybe my Kung Lao Buzzsaw is just that good because I feel he is top 10 in the game. He has the best pressure. Yeah he has no low starter but mixing strings up with low hats and teleports really opens the opponent up plus our wake up is Sooo goood. I just don't see him being bottom tier like people are suggesting.
ill make a combo wiff guide on him... so you can see why.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Buzzsaw is better imo. Tempest variation has

- safe overhead launcher
- ex hat spin to extend blockstrings
- high damage

Imo activating hat spin and running in should be used sparingly, because when you activate hat spin you are kind of already announcing that you are getting in. So the opponent will probably not get hit by the hat spin. If they block the hat spin your hat will be gone for 3 sec, which pretty much leaves you at disadvantage because all his strings are - on block and you don't have the hat so you don't have the threat of ex spin. It is better to just get in and then use ex hat spin to extend pressure.

In buzzsaw you have a lot more space control. Rushdown and defense are both superior. The only thing it doesn't have compared to tempest is raw damage.
You're accidentally downplaying Tempest's Cyclone, which has far longer, superior active frames compared to buzzsaw's EX spin. This allows Cyclone to beat the best of NJPs, Ferra/Torr vicious, Takeda, jin, anyone. Tempest's is still faster and better for interrupting, and leads to storms of damage and hat spin oki. Also, the pseudo safe mixup potential gained from teleorting with hat-spin out should not be ignored, as well as hat spin allowing random hits to be converted off of far more easily.
It gets easier to land throws with hat spin out, too the opponent blocks more

You're accidentally downplaying Tempest's Cyclone, which has far longer, superior active frames compared to buzzsaw's EX spin. This allows Cyclone to beat the best of NJPs, Ferra/Torr vicious, Takeda, jin, anyone. Tempest's is still faster and better for interrupting, and leads to storms of damage and hat spin oki. Also, the pseudo safe mixup potential gained from teleorting with hat-spin out should not be ignored, as well as hat spin allowing random hits to be converted off of far more easily.
It gets easier to land throws with hat spin out, too the opponent blocks more
Active frames dont really matter because both spins have more than enough active frames. buzzsaw spin has 3 hits of armor...Also they are both 7 frames now so no cyclone is not faster. Both spins beat njp clean in that regard they both get the job done just as good.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Active frames dont really matter because both spins have more than enough active frames. buzzsaw spin has 3 hits of armor...Also they are both 7 frames now so no cyclone is not faster. Both spins beat njp clean in that regard they both get the job done just as good.
Buzzsaw's ex spin still has to move forward after its 7 startup frames, making it a little bit slower to punish far away attacks.

Banazama

Noob
You mean hits 3 times right? EX spin has one hit of armor just like everything else.

Buzzsaw's ex spin still has to move forward after its 7 startup frames, making it a little bit slower to punish far away attacks.
And Tempest EX spin fails to catch moves with enough pushback. Both Tempest and Buzzsaw spins have there different uses and can't be compared directly to determine which one is "better."

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
thanks for your opinion, what do you think of liu kang(very fast start ups and very little neg BA on alot of moves), mainly dragon fire, i find his kombos and spec move kombo easy on my hand eye coordination to perform, i like kung lao tempest, but i have a hard time accepting a b321, i just cant get myself to do the back, i wish it was f321, more of a natural motion for me, that is why i like liu kang, his moves seemed very easy for my hand to eye cooridination to perform scott

kencheese

sub zero cryomancer
Top 10 is more opinion but top 3-5 seems pretty consistent among most players. I personally think the strongest characters (in no particular order): Quan Chi, Raiden, Kung Jin, Sonya and Erron Black. Quan Chi Summoner is probably the strongest character in the game, the others listed are very strong but somewhat close.
what do you think of liu kang dragon fire, i find his strings easy on my hand eye coordination to perform, have tried all player and variants and he suites me