What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick Kung Lao Hat Trick Variation General Discussion

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
So you are saying the AI is worse?

I mean, if he doesnt know how to make proper use of his Hat (which would probably be the easiest thing for a human to play around a CPU trying to do, and the hardest thing in the game to code for AI other than Liu Kangs Dualist Orbs), then basically he is just playing at a disadvantage everytime he uses his Hat Toss. Which is probably why the Hat Trick CPU seems worse than Tempest CPU.

I'm not not saying he's good (or bad), I'm just saying that NRS's crappy coding doesn't mean anything and on top of that, it would require really really good AI to play this variation properly anyway. Some things just require that human touch.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey guys, how are you seeing Hat Trick post buffs?

I'm enjoying this variation a lot, the fact that he can place and call back his hat almost immediately poses a real threat, and in many setups can put the opponent under some mental pressure to risk to attack during the hat trap or not, its probably the most beautiful thing i've yet seen in MKX currently.

And KL in general is already pretty strong, the weak point of this variation is not being able to apply some pressure with normals without risking a lot, which is replaced by long range pressure using hat trap and call back hat.

I believe there is more to it, and currently trying to see other scenarios as i go with the character.

All his 3 variations are pretty viable IMO.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.

I'm enjoying this variation a lot, the fact that he can place and call back his hat almost immediately poses a real threat, and in many setups can put the opponent under some mental pressure to risk to attack during the hat trap or not, its probably the most beautiful thing i've yet seen in MKX currently.

And KL in general is already pretty strong, the weak point of this variation is not being able to apply some pressure with normals without risking a lot, which is replaced by long range pressure using hat trap and call back hat.

I believe there is more to it, and currently trying to see other scenarios as i go with the character.

You brave soul....:DOGE

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Im a Hat Trick main and I love this character. His buffs were great and he is in a good place now. I just wish his low hat trap had a little less recovery so it could be used more but im still happy with the character overall.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Im a Hat Trick main and I love this character. His buffs were great and he is in a good place now. I just wish his low hat trap had a little less recovery so it could be used more but im still happy with the character overall.
That is true, in game frame data says that is 25 recovery but looks more like 30 to me.

If he could recover 5 frames faster on his hat traps, he would have some legit combos aside from the B22, hat trap, ex call hat.

I placed a challenge in my community, i've will give away a cent to anyone who eliminates me from the tournament, i will be playing hat trick only and enjoying the ride.

The cent idea came from Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) when he called out a lawyer from the justice departmant saying the accused was innocent and placed a bet on the value of a cent just to spice things up.

I GOT HANDS

I'm loving Hat Trick, he's become my new main.

What's wrong with his normals btw? Hat Trap is safe to set up after practically any blocked normal, and Hat Callback is +14 on block right.

Can you b22 ex HC mid screen?
You don't even need to EX it, or have it set up previously :) for example

27% Meterless - B22xxHat Trap, HCB, F2xxSpin, JiKxDK, JiKxDK

Meterless midscreen overhead strings

Vigilante24

What's wrong with his normals btw? Hat Trap is safe to set up after practically any blocked normal, and Hat Callback is +14 on block right.
Eh.. its not quite as safe as you think. There are only handful of strings that are legit completely safe on block from everything. I found out the hard way when B321 Hat Trap was being punished by Tempest EX Spin every single time. I thought it was just online BS til I went to the lab afterwards. The only reason other normals probably aren't being punished is because you somehow got them to stop mashing or because you are throwing it at an unexpected time which causes them to react slower.

It's +13 on block.

Me likes this combo!! Too bad im very inconsistent with it online so I just EX it for 34% instead. :(

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

You don't even need to EX it, or have it set up previously :) for example

11212 is -3
112124 is -6
Call Back Hat is -7 on block and is only plus if you ex the call back
This variation doesn't have a safe special, so he can't stay on their face without risking mashing and similar stuff, anyway KL is a character that punishes opponents for trying to press buttons on wrong calls, so he should be yolo spin here and there to force a mental pressure on his opponents to make him look a bit too safe when he is taking those risks

By using hat trap, call back hat from a distance, the risk is lessened because now if they get in to punish you, they're getting themselves inside the hat trap, and if the KL makes the right read, it can go both ways, if a full combo into call back hat doesn't hit them, call back hat will if they get hesitant.

So in order to kill this tactic they need an advancing special, the problem is, that most of these aren't safe and trying to react to to the hat will let KL block in time for a punish if he makes the right read again.

Its pretty fun.

The combo you posted has a really thigh window, so i just ex for guaranteed follow-up.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Can you b22 ex HC mid screen?
Yup! I posted a few combos (and you saw them lol):
I don't know if this has been found but you can actually use the hat and call it back in combos starting with B22:

B22~DF2, DD2, F21~DF1, J3~D4, J3~D4 = 27% meterless (tight timing)
B22~DF2, DD2EX, B321~DF1, J3~D4, J3~D4 = 34% one bar

And in the corner I'm doing something like
B22~DF2, D4~DD2, B321~DF1, J3~D4, J3~D4 = 33% meterless

Also tightly timed put hat out and call back and put hat out again combos using the airtime and hit advantage of spin:
44, run cancel~F2~DF1, DF2, DD2EX, B321~DF2 = 30% + setup
44, run cancel~F21~DF1, DF2, DD2EX, B321~DF2 = 31% + setup
@The PantyChrist

Video should be up at any moment.
See! Eddy remembers :D

Mykal NS

Demolition Sonya Main / Downplayer
112124xxFar Hat Throw is 100% safe. Hat Throw has 1 frame start up making it unpunishable by anyone in the game. I've tested vs Cassie, Lao, and Reptile, not only that but if they try to punish you get a free meterless punish off hat call back. 112124xxEX Hat call back is +13 and is a mid which allows for 112124 pressure into another safe hat trap, this is really strong. You can also punish Cassie getaway flip with hat call back into midscreen 31% meterless. I have vids if anyone needs them posted. Hat Trick will be the new dirt when people see the light. Also b32 into hat trap is SAFE, just don't do b321 and you're golden.

I GOT HANDS

112124xxFar Hat Throw is 100% safe. Hat Throw has 1 frame start up making it unpunishable by anyone in the game. I've tested vs Cassie, Lao, and Reptile, not only that but if they try to punish you get a free meterless punish off hat call back. 112124xxEX Hat call back is +13 and is a mid which allows for 112124 pressure into another safe hat trap, this is really strong. You can also punish Cassie getaway flip with hat call back into midscreen 31% meterless. I have vids if anyone needs them posted. Hat Trick will be the new dirt when people see the light. Also b32 into hat trap is SAFE, just don't do b321 and you're golden.
Thanks. I was going to say this to Eddy. I don't care what the frame data is, it's unpunishable by Reptiles slide. Hat Trick's pressure isn't as intense as Tempest's, but its still very good. Unfortunately you can't really get multiple reps off it, but when it's there it's 100% safe and builds meter really well.

I GOT HANDS

Eh.. its not quite as safe as you think. There are only handful of strings that are legit completely safe on block from everything. I found out the hard way when B321 Hat Trap was being punished by Tempest EX Spin every single time. I thought it was just online BS til I went to the lab afterwards. The only reason other normals probably aren't being punished is because you somehow got them to stop mashing or because you are throwing it at an unexpected time which causes them to react slower.

It's +13 on block.
I think you might be wrong. I was testing in the lab with Jax set to reversal and Reptile set to reversal. Either you are getting your string gaps punished or you are doing something wrong I think.

Tempest KL might be a different matter however

Vigilante24

Tempest Lao is the only character ive experienced that can punish that specific Hat Trap string but if one character can punish it, its enough for me to say its not completely safe from everything.

I made a list of all possible hat traps off all useful normals and strings using SZ EX Slide as the reversal. It blew through a lot of things. There are more unsafe options than there are completely safe hat trap calls.

I GOT HANDS

Tempest Lao is the only character ive experienced that can punish that specific Hat Trap string but if one character can punish it, its enough for me to say its not completely safe from everything.

I made a list of all possible hat traps off all useful normals and strings using SZ EX Slide as the reversal. It blew through a lot of things. There are more unsafe options than there are completely safe hat trap calls.
I have no idea what you are talking about, as I just tested 112124, B22 and B32 against both Tempest Cyclone and Sub Zero Icy Slide... all strings are 100% safe cancelled into Hat Trap. Hell, against Sub Zero slide you can even go B321 Hat Trap and be safe.

Mykal NS

Demolition Sonya Main / Downplayer
Hat Trick isn't as gimmicky as anyone thinks, also you can use bfxxEXhat toss for great midscreen damage as well as safe options for sub zero corner pressure as the hat hits mid TWICE and is 0 on block making it a safe option as well. 112124, b32, 4, b22, b2 are all 100% safe options into Hat Trap and are also all safe callback options into +13 pressure. Meaning u get a free meter building string after call back, u can bait armor and punish, or u can meter burn spin spoke attempts. The mind games with this variation are amazing and very viable, just wait and see. Tempest will catch another Nerf and Hat trick will emerge. B O Y Z

I GOT HANDS

Hat Trick isn't as gimmicky as anyone thinks, also you can use bfxxEXhat toss for great midscreen damage as well as safe options for sub zero corner pressure as the hat hits mid TWICE and is 0 on block making it a safe option as well. 112124, b32, 4, b22, b2 are all 100% safe options into Hat Trap and are also all safe callback options into +13 pressure. Meaning u get a free meter building string after call back, u can bait armor and punish, or u can meter burn spin spoke attempts. The mind games with this variation are amazing and very viable, just wait and see. Tempest will catch another Nerf and Hat trick will emerge. B O Y Z
I agree he's not gimmicky, just going to add to what you are saying tohugh. You can pretty easily convert off an Ex-Hat Toss from fullscreen. But on block, it comes back as a high, so doesn't work like that.

Hat Callback is a little less safe, off 112124 its punishable by Reptile EX-Slide (6 Frames) but not by EX-Dash (8 frames), so still very good. The other strings aren't safe to HCB tho at all.