What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick Kung Lao Hat Trick Variation General Discussion

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I really wish someone could find anything for this. I honestly can't lol. He seems so useless with his hat just watching him. It's like jax putting his arms in the ground to watch him kick the opponent.
lol basically, i use tempest and buzz to mix it up...

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

GT = SIR JAY LEGEND add me on XBL for matches
Why would you include the initial knockdown and that strong is b22
Theres 2 reasons firstly you need to get the back hat toss out, secondly the initial knock down is neasesary for this combo as its spacing specific. You can't use B321 > Back hat toss or when you do the teleport 3 > 44 > run > B321 > hat call back you will have traveled passed the hat and drop the combo. try and do it yourself with any other knock down that is cancelable into the back hat toss and you'll see what I mean.

This is a two part combo that changes slightly dependant on what string you use to cancel the back hat toss into.

Long story short use a string of your choice if your opponant is blocking use EX hat toss as it leaves you plus 30 on block and hits twice this gives you time to use an over head string or use F2,3.

F2,3 won't lead into this combo but you see thee purpose behind the initial knock down now if you get it.

Go into the combo I put in the video.

IF you land something else eg B321 do this .

B321> back hat toss > teleport 3 > 44 > hat callback > F21 > spin > jump kick > dive kick >f1 > forward hat toss > low block.

Then use the hat call back to start a combo again.

Ps the f22 was a typo thanks for correcting it :) also did you watch the video because if you did you'll see why I do what I do. Here I'll post it again.

http://xboxclips.com/TM+SOUL+CAPTAIN/98773fec-cd52-447e-a833-f3910ce746f7

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Theres 2 reasons firstly you need to get the back hat toss out, secondly the initial knock down is neasesary for this combo as its spacing specific. You can't use B321 > Back hat toss or when you do the teleport 3 > 44 > run > B321 > hat call back you will have traveled passed the hat and drop the combo. try and do it yourself with any other knock down that is cancelable into the back hat toss and you'll see what I mean.

This is a two part combo that changes slightly dependant on what string you use to cancel the back hat toss into.

Long story short use a string of your choice if your opponant is blocking use EX hat toss as it leaves you plus 30 on block and hits twice this gives you time to use an over head string or use F2,3.

F2,3 won't lead into this combo but you see thee purpose behind the initial knock down now if you get it.

Go into the combo I put in the video.

IF you land something else eg B321 do this .

B321> back hat toss > teleport 3 > 44 > hat callback > F21 > spin > jump kick > dive kick >f1 > forward hat toss > low block.

Then use the hat call back to start a combo again.

Ps the f22 was a typo thanks for correcting it :) also did you watch the video because if you did you'll see why I do what I do. Here I'll post it again.

http://xboxclips.com/TM SOUL CAPTAIN/98773fec-cd52-447e-a833-f3910ce746f7

Hope that answers your question.
while I appreciate the effort you are putting into this variation I hope you can see how specific the scenario has to be and how impractical this is in a real match. The b22 is techable, super unsafe(made more so by the hat throw) they can wake up, walk. Almost anything really. Against a good opponent this will never happen

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

while I appreciate the effort you are putting into this variation I hope you can see how specific the scenario has to be and how impractical this is in a real match. The b22 is techable, super unsafe(made more so by the hat throw) they can wake up, walk. Almost anything really. Against a good opponent this will never happen
True for the most part but ex hat toss isn't unsafe its + 30 on block.

Really the hardest part is landing the teleport 3 once you do a knockdown > back hat toss off a string.

I have 3 versions off this combo that I do depending on what string hits and how far I am from the hat.

Eventually I'm gonna put together a hat trick combo video. But not just the ones that show off combos more like a tutorial to show you your options if your opponant block and so on. What I have found is that you have to condition your opponant to respect the hat which isn't easy.

Best thing I have found to do is do combos such as this F23 > Spin > jump kick > dive kick > F1 > forward hat toss. Then block. If your opponant wakes up call the hat back it's got a relatively fast start up of 8 and the ex version has armour naturally and can beat out some wake ups.

This variation isn't as easy to use it as viable as the other two but I play it because it's fun to use.

Also you'd be surprised how many players get caught in this combo and the others I have because there not used to the variation.

Thanks for recognising the effort I'm putting into it and I do agree with you specific combos are hard to pull off but that's why I have several with this variation to cover a range of scenarios.

In this variation you have to play more defensive/reactive rather than agressive/Proactive like Buzzsaw and tempest.

That's all I have to say tbh sorry the response was a little long but I had to make sure I got all my points across.

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I meant b22 is unsafe and also canceled into back hat toss.
If you are talking about mb hat throw, or hatarang. It is only plus if the hat hits twice. There is a gap between them and on return it is a high and can be neutral crouched so they don't have to respect it.

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Hat trick really, really sucks.
End of discussion.
Okay fine, a little bit more.
Tempest's coolest looking combos are its most practical, even when Tempest spends meter.
Nothing Hat trick does feels worth it, especially in terms of damage.
This variation's only chance of coming back from the GRAVE which it deserves to be buried in, is a crazy damage buff.
Combo potential is here in this cool idea of a variation, and McFly showed off how SWEG it can be. Make the Sweg hit hard, like it looks like it should, and Trucko Del Sombrero may have a chance.

MadeOfMetal

yeah, its not possible, you give up a huge majority of your moves list once that hat is out and about.

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

It's not possible to call the hat back at the same time as F4 you'd have to call it back then do F4. Besides f4 is a hard knock down there's no combo opportunity from that.

I recommend using ex hat call back. It has so little recovery compared to the normal version you might be able to catch them with a B22 I'd have to test this though.

At least from a hit on B22 you can cancel it into another hat Trap.

I recommended away hat trap > teleport 3 > 44 > run > b321 > hat call back > spin> d2 for 41%

MadeOfMetal

Lao loses his b2 when he loses the hat, in every variation. But, and I'm just theory crafting here as I'm at work, his f4 overhead might have some use with low hat call back.
maybe he ment he calls back hat then performs B22?

MadeOfMetal

Do you mean calling back the hat in blockstun, or just between gaps?
in block stun, it would be sick, i havent done it, just hoping its there. i honestly dont play hat trick that much, not a fan untill it shows promise from others.

but that would be one thing that could convert me from Tempest to Hat Trick