What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick Kung Lao Hat Trick Variation General Discussion

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

GT = SIR JAY LEGEND add me on XBL for matches
Brothers of the shaolin I have a new combo to share with you that includes high hat trap. Yes I found a use for it. Not that great but it's better than nothing.

34% corner combo.

B321 > high hat trap > jump 2 > 4 > hat callback > b321> spin > jump kick > dive kick > 2,1

This is really hard to pull off the timing on the hat call back is very specific too early your opponent will go over your head when you attempts the b321 to late and you drop the combo.

Honestly I don't feel it's even worth it for how specific the timing is it feels like it's a one frame link.

But there you go I've given you guys a use for high hat trap

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Brothers of the shaolin I have a new combo to share with you that includes high hat trap. Yes I found a use for it. Not that great but it's better than nothing.

34% corner combo.

B321 > high hat trap > jump 2 > 4 > hat callback > b321> spin > jump kick > dive kick > 2,1

This is really hard to pull off the timing on the hat call back is very specific too early your opponent will go over your head when you attempts the b321 to late and you drop the combo.

Honestly I don't feel it's even worth it for how specific the timing is it feels like it's a one frame link.

But there you go I've given you guys a use for high hat trap
Does B321~high hat trap give you enough time to connect a jump 2 in the same combo? Something seems off about that.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If a combo is almost impossible to land consistently its not pratical, besides i would rather do B321~spin for a guaranteed 30% to 33% than going for a high hat trap where the drop factor is 99 to 1.

Just saying.

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

Does B321~high hat trap give you enough time to connect a jump 2 in the same combo? Something seems off about that.

No you can't it's a set up.

Do any combo you want but make sure you get High hat trap out that's why I put the b321. When you have your opponent in the corner use b321 as a hard knockdown ended and cancel it into high hat trap.

It doesn't all combo together.

The combo officially begins from jump 2 > 4 > hat callback

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

If a combo is almost impossible to land consistently its not pratical, besides i would rather do B321~spin for a guaranteed 30% to 33% than going for a high hat trap where the drop factor is 99 to 1.

Just saying.
I hear you like I said it's not a great use for high hat trap but it's better than none. What you can do if you so wish is do whatever corner combo you want but end it in b321 > high hat trap.

Youphemism

No you can't it's a set up.

Do any combo you want but make sure you get High hat trap out that's why I put the b321. When you have your opponent in the corner use b321 as a hard knockdown ended and cancel it into high hat trap.

It doesn't all combo together.

The combo officially begins from jump 2 > 4 > hat callback
Ah well don't use the same notation for moves that connect then lol. Use xx or ~ for cancels and commas to separate it out so we get how it's supposed to go. So it's:

B321~high hat trap, jump 2 > 4~hat callback > b321~spin > jump kick~dive kick > 21

?

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

Ah well don't use the same notation for moves that connect then lol. Use xx or ~ for cancels and commas to separate it out so we get how it's supposed to go. So it's:

B321~high hat trap, jump 2 > 4~hat callback > b321~spin > jump kick~dive kick > 21

?
Yep that's exactly how it goes.

Thanks for the tip on posting combos.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Foxy played Hat Trick Lao during VS over the weekend. Most of what I've saw is similar tech that you guys have talked about. Did anyone else catch the games?

It was only one game again Madzin's Grandmaster Sub. He didn't win the game (Madzin was on fire this tournament) but is Hat Trick potentially a good pick against GrandMaster sub?

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Foxy played Hat Trick Lao during VS over the weekend. Most of what I've saw is similar tech that you guys have talked about. Did anyone else catch the games?

It was only one game again Madzin's Grandmaster Sub. He didn't win the game (Madzin was on fire this tournament) but is Hat Trick potentially a good pick against GrandMaster sub?
Well, as someone who switched from Grandmaster to Hat Trick, I'll give my thoughts on this. I think the Ex-Spin alone makes it a worthwhile switch, and the Hat Trap is a projectile that goes through Clone and a great punish for it no matter where he tries to Clone if the Hat is behind him. Also I think it has nicer corner game and I think that's probably important playing against SZ, you are always one throw / cross up / spin(in this variation) for grabbing the corner for yourself and he is always one Slide from taking it away from you, so a good corner mix-up game is important not to give Sub that opportunity.

I was hype as hell when Foxy switched to it. He didn't have much luck, but it was still AWESOME to see, without taking anything away from Foxy, he didn't look as comfortable with the variation specific tools as say our man @Eddy Wang does, but that's to be expected - it's a secondary variation for him and I think he recognised he was much more comfortable with Tempest afterwards even with the poorer spin for this match up, and that's why he switched back.

@A F0xy Grampa feel free to correct me on anything or add to this man

buzzsaw works best against grandmaster sub.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
YOHOHO mr Hat a Rang scaling there sir.

112124~BF2EX, 11212~spin, JK~DK, 21 now does 28% and
112124~BF2EX, 44, B321~spin, JK~DK, 21 does 35%

THAT'S more like it :D
How about Hat-a-Rang Loops?
Also are you on PS4 or XBONE?

I need that patch as fast as possible.

Youphemism

How about Hat-a-Rang Loops?
Also are you on PS4 or XBONE?

I need that patch as fast as possible.
Not sure, didnt test it because I didn't think it was worth the bar lol. I'm off for the night since its 6am here but I'll test tomorrow if you haven't. I'm on Xb1

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

Hat a rang damage scaling was needed .

4 > hat a rang > 4,4 > run > b321 > Spin > jk > dk > 2,1 = 40% that's more like it.

Last edited:

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Isn't reptile dash 6f? I remember testing it briefly but kept fucking up and getting low hat rather than recovering and crouch blocking. I didn't get it to work once but if 6f pokes work against it then it can't be safe vs reptile dash

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Isn't reptile dash 6f? I remember testing it briefly but kept fucking up and getting low hat rather than recovering and crouch blocking. I didn't get it to work once but if 6f pokes work against it then it can't be safe vs reptile dash
It is, but I think the pushback buys you a frame against him, but Cassies starts off closer. That's why even some 6f shit isn't fast enough.

I don't know about B2xxHat Trap however. I never use that, doesn't seem to serve much purpose

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I never use that, doesn't seem to serve much purpose
It screws up reaction timing, ppl get to try to poke out of B22~trap all the time, they rarely expect B2~trap, if they try to react to a let change of mood you get a full combo punish.

Also F2 Hat Callback is still whiffing on Crouch Block, This wasn't fixed, besides of F2 being one of his best strings and hitting mid to prevent ppl to poke out of my pressure. Lao Away Hat Trap doesn't pose a real threat.

Kinda sucks because that seems to be his best trap post knockdown, because it triggers the most panic out of ppl, problem is that he can't do combos with the hat on his back and the opponent on front of him.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Call me retarded or a fool but what if they gave hat trick lao an extended move set when he is without his hat? Like more shaolin fist normals etc. While hat trap is active? And only can be used with out his hat.

Like in tekken yoshimitsu puts away his sword to gain access to a few moves he couldn't otherwise use with his blade.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Call me retarded or a fool but what if they gave hat trick lao an extended move set when he is without his hat? Like more shaolin fist normals etc. While hat trap is active? And only can be used with out his hat.

Like in tekken yoshimitsu puts away his sword to gain access to a few moves he couldn't otherwise use with his blade.
The best way they could do that is by having a way of letting his hat go back to his head while he is using his strings, hat call links could be a great idea imagine if he could link standing 4 after and rear hat call as 1f link, he would be able to have his best trap feared and actually stop to rely on gimmicks since his b12, F23 and run cancel 11212 would be true combo links

I have a made a video about it, but didn't upload it yet because i don't have enough internet for a 54MB upload, expect me to upload that next week for sure.

I know my english sucks and most of the time Hands and youph gets lost on things i talk about, well Colt does too, so i speak better with videos when things are too complex to use just words.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
The best way they could do that is by having a way of letting his hat go back to his head while he is using his strings, hat call links could be a great idea imagine if he could link standing 4 after and rear hat call as 1f link, he would be able to have his best trap feared and actually stop to rely on gimmicks since his b12, F23 and run cancel 11212 would be true combo links

I have a made a video about it, but didn't upload it yet because i don't have enough internet for a 54MB upload, expect me to upload that next week for sure.

I know my english sucks and most of the time Hands and youph gets lost on things i talk about, well Colt does too, so i speak better with videos when things are too complex to use just words.
I understand you bro

Youphemism

Do I?