What's new

General/Other - Hat Trick Kung Lao Hat Trick Variation General Discussion

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

GT = SIR JAY LEGEND add me on XBL for matches
Ive
I'm actually on vacation at the moment so I can't test em.

I know that first one however, you can run in after the 44 and go B3xxHat Call Back and get like an extra 2% on it, and also make the combo more consistent. However it's not something I'd ever use like that, as just throwing out TPs in the neutral is EZ punished on reaction, you gotta do it when you got some frames to work whiff like if your opponent projectiles or whiffs.

You should add add % next to the rest of them man
I've added the % to them now, when you first try them they will seem hard to pull off but it's just down to muscle memory.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Just a thought. How about instead of less damage scaling on hat callback, how about it doesnt launch on grounded opponents? Instead it would act like tempest lao's hat and allow that 44 to link for full combos, maybe increasing his meterless damage to be on par with tempest.

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

Hey guys I'm trying to experiment with Kung Lao Low hat traps but I'm having trouble consistently getting the move to come out after a b321 is there some kind of trick to it because I can only make it come out 50% of the time

I can make the move come out consistently outside of combos but trying to cancel into it is the issue

Hey guys I'm trying to experiment with Kung Lao Low hat traps but I'm having trouble consistently getting the move to come out after a b321 is there some kind of trick to it because I can only make it come out 50% of the time

I can make the move come out consistently outside of combos but trying to cancel into it is the issue
You are probably doing the Option select by pressing down, because the input for low hat trap is dfd2. Try pressing down slower.

BLOOD CAPTAIN X

As if this variation wasn't handicapped enough. I always lose matches going for the brutality
Try doing the F1,4 ender but doing the forward hat trap after F1. This will provide pressure on wake up with the hat trap and you'll have time to block any yolo wake up attempts and punish with the brutality.

I've done this a few times so I hope it works for you

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
1) Is there any significant reason not to use low hat trap vs regular hat trap? Is it just a matter of preference or is low hat trap just a little harder to throw out therefore requiring practice?

2) Is the B321 ender better then the 21 ender? Or does it vary by situation?

1) Is there any significant reason not to use low hat trap vs regular hat trap? Is it just a matter of preference or is low hat trap just a little harder to throw out therefore requiring practice?

2) Is the B321 ender better then the 21 ender? Or does it vary by situation?
Imo its all about the regular hat trap, because of the fast recovery and it is easier to convert too and it has a better vertical hitbox. Midscreen you normally want to end in b321 hat trap because you can setup a hat trap behind the opponent while doing a hard knockdown and recover fast. In the corner 21 is also a good option, but you also have to look at what options are available for you depending on the launcher.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Imo its all about the regular hat trap, because of the fast recovery and it is easier to convert too and it has a better vertical hitbox. Midscreen you normally want to end in b321 hat trap because you can setup a hat trap behind the opponent while doing a hard knockdown and recover fast. In the corner 21 is also a good option, but you also have to look at what options are available for you depending on the launcher.
Alright so in regards to hat trap, only throw out the low one when you want to mix your opponent up?
And thanks on the b321 tip. I'll work on incorporating that in. I was having trouble doing the 21 ender and then getting a hat out at the proper spacing.

Alright so in regards to hat trap, only throw out the low one when you want to mix your opponent up?
And thanks on the b321 tip. I'll work on incorporating that in. I was having trouble doing the 21 ender and then getting a hat out at the proper spacing.
I don't know any legit mixups with the low hat trap.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
When you put a low hat trap on a 21 knock down or B321, they're compelled to block low 90% of the time fearing imediate hat call back, which opens for a free F4 that hit overhead and when well timed will meaty on armored wakeups and destroy them.

It switches up roles, just like in Buzzsaw where his low hat doesn't give anything on hit aside from harassment compelling the opponent to block low so he can use the B22 overhead, in Hat Trick when the low hat trap is set in the corner, F4 becomes available, and grants another knockdown, although it doesn't grant anything on Hit aside from another knockdown, it deals a lot of damage and can be annoying, if they choose to block high to avoid it, and you do a hat call back, the low hat hits them which leads to a combo where it can end with another low hat trap.

Never once landed the Low hat trap into 44 mix up, this never worked however.

Low hat trap, F4, and Low hat trap hat call back, worked so well that helped to setup a 4~Hat call back in the corner, or any string into hat callback.

I have midscreen setups with away hat trap as well, i've been sucessfully using them, but my data will only be complete after this sunday where i will be playing Hat Trick exclusive.

@Youphemism, @I GOT HANDS and @Just2Swift, get ready, i'm going to fuck shit up this sunday on the brackets.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The ironical part is that a pratical low hat call back combo doesn't do 30% damage and hardly breaks 27% however, if you take 3 F4 fearing hat call back, you will see how fast your life has gone, lmao.

The ironical part is that a pratical low hat call back combo doesn't do 30% damage and hardly breaks 27% however, if you take 3 F4 fearing hat call back, you will see how fast your life has gone, lmao.
I don't really want to risk my life for 10%. If the hat is out I could also just go for 112124 ex hat callback into 112124 hat trap. That is more than 6% chip damage already + meter build.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Welp, I await the pressure/mind games that hat trick brings with baited breath. I really like this variation and I'm glad tech has been found for it

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I don't really want to risk my life for 10%. If the hat is out I could also just go for 112124 ex hat callback into 112124 hat trap. That is more than 6% chip damage already + meter build.
That is the philosophy of the regular Hat Trap, low Hat trap requires a different iteration.

However, there are characters with such a small hitbox, that when they're crouch blocking, your 112124 string and hat call back will whiff when they're crouch blocking, the risk is just the same, if they wakeup with armor they will blow you 112124 anyway.

The Hat Trick interacts with the matchup depending of how you use the traps IMO

That is the philosophy of the regular Hat Trap, low Hat trap requires a different iteration.

However, there are characters with such a small hitbox, that when they're crouch blocking, your 112124 string and hat call back will whiff when they're crouch blocking, the risk is just the same, if they wakeup with armor they will blow you 112124 anyway.

The Hat Trick interacts with the matchup depending of how you use the traps IMO
You have to do a run up to jail the string otherwise it will whiff. 11212 is not punishable on block like f4 though and you can't blow that up by staying on the ground like you can do to F4 if it whiffs. I just don't like using the low hat trap. My gameplan is built completely around the normal hat trap/

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You have to do a run up to jail the string otherwise it will whiff. 11212 is not punishable on block like f4 though and you can't blow that up by staying on the ground like you can do to F4 if it whiffs. I just don't like using the low hat trap. My gameplan is built completely around the normal hat trap/
That's not it, the 112124 string has an inconsistent hitbox against some character, no matter if you run or not, it will whiff against a few, as well as hat call back will whiff against some characters crouch blocking because they have a small hitbox.

But that's a choice though, i play my game to be varied as possible, and the more mixups the better, and definitely not a linear game, as you said yourself, staying grounded once they see a low hat trap to avoid F4, will only open them up for more pressure like 11212 while they're down as well, or NJP NJHCB.

The possibilities are a lot

That's not it, the 112124 string has an inconsistent hitbox against some character, no matter if you run or not, it will whiff against a few, as well as hat call back will whiff against some characters crouch blocking because they have a small hitbox.

But that's a choice though, i play my game to be varied as possible, and the more mixups the better, and definitely not a linear game, as you said yourself, staying grounded once they see a low hat trap to avoid F4, will only open them up for more pressure like 11212 while they're down as well, or NJP NJHCB.

The possibilities are a lot
It shouldn't whiff if you run against them and like ''stick'' yourself to your opponent. The mid hat whiffing is a real issue imo and they should fix it, the normal hat callback is his main tool and shouldn't have any problems.

Edit: just recalled King jin is one of those characters that makes it whiff even if you run.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
When you put a low hat trap on a 21 knock down or B321, they're compelled to block low 90% of the time fearing imediate hat call back, which opens for a free F4 that hit overhead and when well timed will meaty on armored wakeups and destroy them.

It switches up roles, just like in Buzzsaw where his low hat doesn't give anything on hit aside from harassment compelling the opponent to block low so he can use the B22 overhead, in Hat Trick when the low hat trap is set in the corner, F4 becomes available, and grants another knockdown, although it doesn't grant anything on Hit aside from another knockdown, it deals a lot of damage and can be annoying, if they choose to block high to avoid it, and you do a hat call back, the low hat hits them which leads to a combo where it can end with another low hat trap.

Low hat trap, F4, and Low hat trap hat call back, worked so well that helped to setup a 4~Hat call back in the corner, or any string into hat callback.

I have midscreen setups with away hat trap as well, i've been sucessfully using them, but my data will only be complete after this sunday where i will be playing Hat Trick exclusive.

@Youphemism, @I GOT HANDS and @Just2Swift, get ready, i'm going to fuck shit up this sunday on the brackets.
Where abouts? Will there be a stream? If there's videos post them here! :)

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.

My body is ready

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I might pick this up because I think Kung Lao is fucking rad, but I don't like playing overused top tier because I like to feel edgy and unique, so this variation is like a neat little middle ground.

Honestly I don't think i've actually fought a Hat Trick player once.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
A low hat in the corner leaves you with a lot of different options, including a 50/50 off 44 or 4xxHCB.

Really looking forward to it, the more footage you can get for us the better, I will watch every match from start to finish if you get them :) bring it home for us Eddy!