What's new

Kung Lao General Discussion thread

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I was talking about meterless special moves that launch, not normals…
he doesn't seem to have any so far.

I'm genuinely curious to try somethings out, if his upward kick with a kameo can be extended without meter for longer combos, 3 more weeks then.

Ardet

Noob
he doesn't seem to have any so far.

I'm genuinely curious to try somethings out, if his upward kick with a kameo can be extended without meter for longer combos, 3 more weeks then.
It will surely be possible. It will work like johny's uppercut punch. U will need ambush assist like kano knifes or sonya square punch.

Kung lao looks ok at best. Useless meter-less upwards kick? Hat overhead that pops but can’t be followed up without kameo? No teleport :( Full screen spin that has hitbox issues?.. compared to other characters KL looks a bit dry..

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Kung lao looks ok at best. Useless meter-less upwards kick? Hat overhead that pops but can’t be followed up without kameo? No teleport :( Full screen spin that has hitbox issues?.. compared to other characters KL looks a bit dry..
The spin is borderline useless, imo. What exactly is its purpose? You have two kombo enders with the flurry of punches and the grab attack. It doesnt pop up, has a considerable start up and long animation frames.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Idk if people are using it like this, but B33 xx Goro gives Kung Lao a 13 frame launcher. Depending on the spacing, Goro will hit right after on block, making you +12-14. If not, it's just -6 with pushback.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The spin is borderline useless, imo. What exactly is its purpose?
Does it have any use as a movement tool if you EX it? Being able to get away or get in for a bar with a hit of armor could have some utility. Especially combined with the right Kameo.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Does it have any use as a movement tool if you EX it? Being able to get away or get in for a bar with a hit of armor could have some utility. Especially combined with the right Kameo.
It does grant some mobility but not sure how practical it is... it starts slow, costs a bar and doesnt pop up if you hit them. I get a feeling this might be buffed in a future patch.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Has anyone figured out what the purpose is of EX hat projectiles? They seem to add nothing?
I'm going to look into it more, but first glance EX Buzzsaw gives more damage and 7 more frames of hit and block advantage, and leaves Kung Lao at -7.

EX Hat Toss starts up 6 frames sooner and gives 4 more frames of hit advantage.

So I'm guessing using EX could potentially lead to combo extensions on certain air juggles.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Two early Kung Lao guides, just some nice general early tips on what to go for with him.

I got the game, played it but I’m not sure if it’s for me. The fact that I’m forced to spend bar to combo is kinda killing it for me. I don’t understand this type of mentality with NRS games that you need to spend bar to have fun.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
The fact that I’m forced to spend bar to combo is kinda killing it for me. I don’t understand this type of mentality with NRS games that you need to spend bar to have fun.
I find this a little confusing.

1. He has meterless launching strings, and strings that can launch using a Kameo assist

2. Using meter to launch has been a staple of NRS games since pretty much forever. In most games most characters require meter to launch and do combos. A lot of it is simply resource management: Build a bar, spend that bar. That's why it's so easy to build meter in NRS games. Meter has always been the lifeblood of NRS titles.

3. It's how most fighting games that have a meter system work. You generally don't get to do big combos unless you build and spend a bar. This applies to games like Killer Instinct, Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, etc.

I find this a little confusing.

1. He has meterless launching strings, and strings that can launch using a Kameo assist

2. Using meter to launch has been a staple of NRS games since pretty much forever. In most games most characters require meter to launch and do combos. A lot of it is simply resource management: Build a bar, spend that bar. That's why it's so easy to build meter in NRS games. Meter has always been the lifeblood of NRS titles.

3. It's how most fighting games that have a meter system work. You generally don't get to do big combos unless you build and spend a bar. This applies to games like Killer Instinct, Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, etc.
I could do plenty of combo’s in MK9 without spending meter. MK11 was a bit more restricted but it still gave me the possibility to combo without spending bar. Spending bar was just there to extend my combo’s or add mix ups. Exactly how it supposed to be imo

I’m aware of strings that pop, i know that any character has at least one of them. But what’s the point of having different strings if only one string has the potential to do more damage (without spending meter)

Wasn’t that the point of having “specials that pop” so we can input them in any other given string to potentially extend the combo for higher damage?

I know that we have plenty of options in MK1, but they always cost meter now. No meter is very limiting your play style. Maybe I need to get used to this but so-far I’m not a fan of these restrictions..

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Kameo talk - who do we enjoy so far?
For combos Sonya seems to be the lay up - 212 db4(k) xx b24 xx b2 db2 is 40% meterless and is honestly pretty easy to hit. If you get in the corner and catch someone you can get to 50.
Mixup wise it seems we need KL or someone with a combinable low to be really functional. I was trying frost but there’s not at an full mixup with the overhead.

Spin is weird I think it’s supposed to be a wake up move? And why do we have 2 diff projectiles but 1 hat?

TH3DISTURBED1

"Never say 'never'
Goro seems one of the better cameos. 212 db4 UpKameo leads to a pretty good combo (dash, 121 bf2). He's got a little of pressure, mix, and neutral. I can't say I figured a combo bigger than ~38% but he seems somewhat strong. I don't think he's top tier but I don't think he's far out of it

I've found absolutely ZERO use in spin, except for using it on prediction that someone is gonna use the Sareena knives fullscreen. I EX it and now I can just walk us into the corner for absolutely free. But good players don't just throw that out randomly. Only other time I use it if I don't feel like anti-airing with standing 4, very rarely do I use the spin. Even as an anti air option it's not that good because it's hitbox against aerial people leaves much to be desired.

That aside, i'm really sad about this iteration of Kung Lao. I'm still gonna main him, but man it's just not as satisfying as MKX or 11 Lao.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Goro seems pretty solid with Lao. Adds armored conversions and turns his b3 into a massively plus meterless 50/50 launcher. Just do either b33 or b34 and call down goro as soon as the b3 connects. On hit, it will launch for a full conversion, on block you are at least +6 and can get as high as +14. b34 won't launch but is around +14 on block.