What's new

Kung Lao General Discussion thread

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Okay so today was the day some CC had early access to the story mode and the first character we'll get to introduce us to the game seems to be our boy Lao.

Here is some major things i noticed from all the available footage so far

Spin doesn't launch, both regular and ex version take a while to start and are both knockdown, the ex version has armor.

Lao has a gainer flip special, which works as anti-air, when ex'd he can cover into aerial rave combos, first thing i will take a look on releas will be if we can use an assist in order for him to recover earlier and pick up before they touch the ground

Lao dive kick is FAST on descent and activation, and his jump arc seems a bit faster than most, Ex Dive kick launches on hit, and somewhat safer at certain ranges.

Lao is a string Maniac, his normals animations are fast, among all strings, one has a small pop up, perfect for Kameo interaction, he has a 2 hit launcher like like a reverse C,A from UMK3 Ninjas, first hit seems like an overhead

Lao has a drop kick that jumps over lows
Lao has 2 types of Jump kicks, on top of the regular one, there it's a jumping knee with shorter range, considering he is an aerial character, it's probably a defense mechanism to bait up blocks, we'll see.

Lao seems to have either an attack/throw from strings, or a command attack throw special he can cancel from certain strings, finishing into a grab for position switch

Lao also has fist flurry but its a special move here

No Kommitment strings in sight, doesn't seem too complicated, but seems like they will let creativity flow with him like in MKX and MK9, i love it already.

Haven't seen hat toss, probably because of story mode and he wasn't fully developed yet.
(update)
Lao has two forms of Hat Toss, a directionable one like MK2 which has longer startup and the hat is thrown in horizontal shape, and Buzzsaw hat throw, which hits multiple times, good for Kameo addition into combo extention, and probably good wall extender combos

no teleport, so Lao with Kameo Lao should be an interesting take

but so far, i think he is by far the one that is clicking just by looking at him, can't wait for release day

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Pretty sure I saw hat toss in Max's invasion mode video
watched that just now, hat toss and Buzzsaw toss actually and both are meterless

One of the perfect Kameos for him seems to be Himself, since it has teleport and a spin that launches

Last edited:

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Fucking hilarious that they took a core move from his moveset, put it on his kameo, and now it's looking likely that in order to get the full Kung Lao experience, you have to fucking double him up and go with Kung Lao + Kung Lao.

Dumb as fuck imo, but obviously that is just the way it is now. Still excited to try him.

Taking away kung lao’s teleport is a stupid move from nrs

I don’t see the point of adding projectiles. He already had good low and mid projectiles. Upwards dive-kick is basically a pop up move and his free armored spin will probably be compensated with a slow start up.

Wasting important kameo meter on teleports is not ideal and limits your teleport hella hard.

Movement was what made Kung lao unique and different than other characters. This is my first MK game to drop kung lao. Very disappointed atm.

Last edited:

Zviko

Noob
Was there a move list anywhere that 100% confirms he doesn't have the teleport?

Then yeah, I totally agree. A game that is without character variations as we've known them until now you'd expect the characters to be complete. A character without their signature move is bad enough but to add the same character as a kameo who does the signature move.....that's extra bad. So if there is Sonya in the game as the main character, we will probably need to use her kameo too to do her most iconic leg grab, right?

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I actually have PTSD from his MK11 tele so happy he doesn’t have it. He looks fun! Excited to try him!

destroyer doing us a service

the character looks somewhat dry in terms of specials - no teleport, spin doesnt launch - but i see things that give me hope that his normal and string game is rather complex and that he can be a combo monster with the right kameo,

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I actually have PTSD from his MK11 tele so happy he doesn’t have it. He looks fun! Excited to try him!
His Kameo does have it though, as well as a launching spin, besides you will have to deal with that dive kick, which looks pretty fast, and fast recovery on block

His Kameo does have it though, as well as a launching spin, besides you will have to deal with that dive kick, which looks pretty fast, and fast recovery on block
But that’s using your kameo meter. Everyone has acces to kl kameo.. makes no sense lol

So far I have seen nothing that makes him stand out. A teleport would at least give him the mobility he was known for. Divekick is still punishable, and ppl will react to it with full combo’s sooner or later. Upwards dive kick costs meter, so idk.. hopefully they do something interesting with that instead.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
But that’s using your kameo meter. Everyone has acces to kl kameo.. makes no sense lol

So far I have seen nothing that makes him stand out. A teleport would at least give him the mobility he was known for. Divekick is still punishable, and ppl will react to it with full combo’s sooner or later. Upwards dive kick costs meter, so idk.. hopefully they do something interesting with that instead.
We get it, he doesn't play as you want it.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
There are two things I have always been terrible at: DBF inputs, and button mash strings ala Lao/Poison Ivy/Erron Black and so on. If no "kommitment" strings means no 112124/21212/122123454321 strings whose inputs I have to pray aren't going to get eaten up, and I can actually play Kung Lao without worrying about a whole ass important thing he does that I suck at doing, I don't care what specials he has. I've wanted to at least have a pocket Lao ever since MK9 and Foxy's Bird Lao style.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
So far I have seen nothing that makes him stand out.
Free armor on his spin looks good. Basically turns his spin into a counter. Plus enhancing Spin letting you move around the screen is pretty neat, could give him some armored mobility.

Free armor on his spin looks good. Basically turns his spin into a counter. Plus enhancing Spin letting you move around the screen is pretty neat, could give him some armored mobility.
Is it free armor but with slow start up? They kinda need to do that to balance it i guess? Fast attacks poke thru, slow attacks counter it with a pop up? If not i rather punish slower attacks with something i can get more damage out. Armored mobility sounds interesting maybe. I hope we get mobility divekick wise. Like being to divekick in long and short distances.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I guess we'll see on the start up. It obviously wasn't fast, but it didn't seem super slow to me. I think the main utility is going to depend if you can safely cancel into it from a number of strings. If so, it could be a way to add a counter/parry to the end of any number of his strings, or if you enhance it could make a ton of strings safe.

Lot of strings, potentially good mobility, solid projectile options. Seems like the kind of character that could be pretty flexible as to which Kameo to pair with.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Can you still full combo after non-meter spin?

Upwards divekick als costs meter right? Then we are stuck to use pop up normals? I hope that’s not the case. I don’t like being dependent on meter..

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Upwards divekick als costs meter right? Then we are stuck to use pop up normals? I hope that’s not the case. I don’t like being dependent on meter..
Upwards divekick costs meter to launch. He also has access to meterless launchers via strings. He has a really nice overhead normal which pops the opponent up, which although he can't combo off of it it's clearly designed to work with a kameo for an extended combo. If the question is whether he has a special that meterless launches, I'm not sure.

I'd suggest watching the Destroyer FGC YT video and Rooflemonger breakdown video. I'd also wager a guess that as a rushdown character with some likely good pressure strings and decent projectiles he seems like the type of character that should easily build meter, so being dependent on meter shouldn't be too bad.

Upwards divekick costs meter to launch. He also has access to meterless launchers via strings. He has a really nice overhead normal which pops the opponent up, which although he can't combo off of it it's clearly designed to work with a kameo for an extended combo. If the question is whether he has a special that meterless launches, I'm not sure.

I'd suggest watching the Destroyer FGC YT video and Rooflemonger breakdown video. I'd also wager a guess that as a rushdown character with some likely good pressure strings and decent projectiles he seems like the type of character that should easily build meter, so being dependent on meter shouldn't be too bad.
Sounds like doesn’t have meterless pop-up specials mid string?