What's new

Kung Lao General Discussion thread

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
One of the most powerful aspects in NRS fighting games has been safe, armored launchers because they allow you to steal turns while playing neutral or pressuring. People despised fighting a character like Tremor who would throw out pokes, and when you retaliated with your own pokes or your fastest mid string, you would get launched. For this reason, the armor on most armored launchers was removed in MKX in the last patch.

Kung Lao with Goro can play this meta because EN b,f+2 advances forward, has moderately fast startup considering its range, and leads to 30%+ combos, the most damaging in the game after an armored launcher. So for the Kung Lao players asking "Where is the dirt?" THIS is the dirt. LOL. And you should take advantage of it before NRS decides to add damage scaling after EN b,f+2 or Goro's up punch.
You explained this better than I could thank you

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
One of the most powerful aspects in NRS fighting games has been safe, armored launchers because they allow you to steal turns while playing neutral or pressuring. People despised fighting a character like Tremor who would throw out pokes, and when you retaliated with your own pokes or your fastest mid string, you would get launched. For this reason, the armor on most armored launchers was removed in MKX in the last patch.

Kung Lao with Goro can play this meta because EN b,f+2 advances forward, has moderately fast startup considering its range, and leads to 30%+ combos, the most damaging in the game after an armored launcher. So for the Kung Lao players asking "Where is the dirt?" THIS is the dirt. LOL. And you should take advantage of it before NRS decides to add damage scaling after EN b,f+2 or Goro's up punch.
You still on reo about that lol good times

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I've got a question.

So, d4 on hit is +15 and leads to a safe 50/50 with Goro, but I've seen it done a couple different ways.

A- K xx B4 for low, F2 xx DK for overhead,
B- B33 for low, B3 xx BK for overhead.

Personally, I think B is a lot easier to pull off than A. Is there any argument for using A over B? The only thing I don't love is that B3 xx BK side switches.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Did any of you Lao mains struggle with his combo trial #7? Idk if it got harder after the patch, but I was doing it yesterday and it took me FOREVER to finally get it. Really the only issue was getting the b1 to connect after the whiffed dive kick. And not only getting the b1 to connect, but also having to immediately cancel into the noogie grab move.

Like, execution is typically my strong suit, and this was one of the hardest combos I’ve tried to do in a long time. Obviously I figured out one of the biggest reasons I was struggling and it helped tremendously. And after spending an embarrassing amount of time on it and finally getting it, I got it like 5 more times afterwards lol. There’s definitely a specific timing you need to do.

Anyway, just was wondering if actual KL mains struggled on it. AND if it got harder after the patch or if it hasn’t changed.

Did any of you Lao mains struggle with his combo trial #7?

Anyway, just was wondering if actual KL mains struggled on it. AND if it got harder after the patch or if it hasn’t changed.
I got it in under 15 minutes, I am a full blown kung lao main since umk3 XBLA / mk9 / mkx

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Did any of you Lao mains struggle with his combo trial #7? Idk if it got harder after the patch, but I was doing it yesterday and it took me FOREVER to finally get it. Really the only issue was getting the b1 to connect after the whiffed dive kick. And not only getting the b1 to connect, but also having to immediately cancel into the noogie grab move.

Like, execution is typically my strong suit, and this was one of the hardest combos I’ve tried to do in a long time. Obviously I figured out one of the biggest reasons I was struggling and it helped tremendously. And after spending an embarrassing amount of time on it and finally getting it, I got it like 5 more times afterwards lol. There’s definitely a specific timing you need to do.

its easier to get in the corner, i got the combo in 5mins
the inputs act weird coming from the air into b1, i think, that's the harderst part of the combo.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
its easier to get in the corner, i got the combo in 5mins
the inputs act weird coming from the air into b1, i think, that's the harderst part of the combo.
Yeah connecting the b1 was the hardest part for me. But once I realized my mistake, which was doing the jump 4 into divekick too quickly, the combo became infinitely easier.

Has anyone found a use for lao's F4?

I finally found one, its not the greatest thing in the world but its something.
I was trying to find counters for striker bombs and noticed that when someone does something very unsafe like reptile death roll or sindel B3 into delayed bomb you can punish with F4 take the bomb hit and continue the combo.