What's new

Match-up Discussion Kenshi Matchup Discussion Thread

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
It looks like kenshi can hold his own pretty good then. Hey teef, I use raiden, not the best but if you want experience on that match up add me and I'll gladly play you.
ohh hey rey. Sure i would like to :)
hopefully ur east coast or not laggy....so we can have fun in this matchup :) lol. add me whenever u can.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
many people think scorpion is a bad matchup for kenshi. . . i personally do not think he is but i have yet to fight a good scorpion so i can not talk about that matchup
It's like 5.5-4.5 Scorpion at absolute worst. Hellfire can make Kenshi very sad for a little bit, but that's about it. Cross-up jump-punch 50/50 is a little too easy against Kenshi, but at the end of the day, Scorp is still Scorp.

Anyway, I don't know the exact number, but Kenshi definitely has a BIG advantage in the Shang Tsung match-up.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Telefurry is a great move, I disagree that it won't be used much at high level. Saying it's punished most of the cast describes lots of special moves in this game. Hell Kabal's spin is punished by everybody and will eat 30-40%, doesn't mean it's not great. Kenshi is a zoner first and foremost, and the fact he can't use it much against Kabal fucks him REALLY bad

Also, I have access to a great Raiden player and this match is AT LEAST 6-4, maybe 7-3. You can't touch Raiden, you have to fight him up close. Now ask yourself, who's better up close?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
hey nori. man i didnt say it's a bad move at all. I find EX SC and TKS are way more handy.
for godsake u can dash forward from Tele furry if timed correctly :S. and if done anywhere beside max distance, it's way not useful and risky in most of the situations....that's why i find TKS way usefull.

telefury has it own use , and i find it very useful against some characters. For instant, tele furry cannot be used as for wake up game, making Teleports have upprhand, unlike TKS were it stuffs teleports (mileena for example). this fact, will make u USE IT ONLY if it's complete ground to ground to halt opponent...this aspect of ground to ground without an initial Stun benefit or hit benefit, is risky by itself.

as for raiden. i would agree. so far i see it as 6 -4 . but i think it can be possible to hit 4.5 - 5.5

-Kenshi can manuever away from teleport and punish any reckless Move from raiden or even jump, except for torpedo. Also EX RK can be usefull against reckless raiden teleport into attacks. so this itself is a little mind game. Will force Raiden to teleport into torpedo sometimes , or simply teleport and defend away.....i see it a nice gamble
-TKS DOES stop Torpedo as well as RK. (regular Torpedo only)
-reflecting EX Projectile is realy useful due to the ability that u can Punish Raiden fast with EX SC if he's reckless. if he teleported, it's zero frame reset...so it's all gamebling again

-As close to close. ahh raidens TC can be stoped in the middle by EX RK. so for example, b+3,2,1 . after the b+3, EX RK. after his two highs into low hit (knock down) if blocked, it's a reset frames, so it's all bout what happens after wards.

so i see some gabs in there and i would like to venture through them actually. so far am in progress with this match. i did put it as 5 - 5 WITHOUT astrex, which means i really dont know this matchup for kenshi, as i mentioned.

thuogh, i would give it 6 -4 for now.....still in progress again though

hey nori. man i didnt say it's a bad move at all. I find EX SC and TKS are way more handy.
for godsake u can dash forward from Tele furry if timed correctly :S. and if done anywhere beside max distance, it's way not useful and risky in most of the situations....that's why i find TKS way usefull.

telefury has it own use , and i find it very useful against some characters. For instant, tele furry cannot be used as for wake up game, making Teleports have upprhand, unlike TKS were it stuffs teleports (mileena for example). this fact, will make u USE IT ONLY if it's complete ground to ground to halt opponent...this aspect of ground to ground without an initial Stun benefit or hit benefit, is risky by itself.
Hehe... "tele furry"...

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
My opinions on matchups:

What makes Kenshi great overall as a char is the fact he's a zoner at heart. I'm convinced he can throw down up close if he NEEDS to (keywords NEEDs to). W/that being said, this is what I feel about the following matchups (this is all based off of offline play):

vs Raiden 4-6

Kenshi almost can't throw out any special moves, at all, unless it's in a combo. Teleport screws everything up. You will throw out moves and because of teleport, another move will come out instead and now you just lost 36%, at least. IMO, not worth it. You have to be extremely careful in this match, I see Raiden at full adv here. If kenshi throws out a special move and it's wrong, he's eating a lot of damage. I feel if the matchup has to be fought up close, Raden is already one of the best up close and unless you are KL/Kabal/Reptile/Cage or pick somebody w/a panic button attack. Kenshi can get people off of him, but god help you if you guess wrong against Raiden. And I'm talking about a good raiden here, not a cookie cutter Raiden scrub you find online.

vs Ermac 7-3

What can Ermac really do? Kenshi has him beat on range. He can punish him for anything. He never ever has to go towards Ermac. If Ermac is dumb enough to do a teleport, that's nothing but a xmas present. High level Ermacs will not use teleport, and Ermac is a zoner. I want anybody who actually mains Ermac (if they disagree) to explain their point of view to me. Kenshi has better normals, better zoning, better defensive options. Ermac IMO has to work his ass off to win vs a good Kenshi

vs Sindel 5-5

Sindel controls the air better than anybody in the game IMO. Extremely hard for Kenshi to do anything if Sindel guesses right, but Kenshi can also hit like a truck if he does get in her face. Reflect helps him out a lot, but don't overuse it as good Sindel players will bait it out.

I'll post up more thoughts later

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
Teef you happen to have a good break down vs kabal. I notice I've had to work extra hard against kabal to get in the low saw and iaf's are a killer and hard to trade with. Would getting in be the only solution and running a low poke combo rk or tks? Also I noticed that tkp moves kenshi's hit box up so even iaf's can hit him from far in the head yet when you parry the same ball sometimes it glitches and absorbs and you gain meter but no reflect.

SZSR

Noob
Can someone elaborate on how Smoke is so advantageous on Kenshi? I really didn't see that this weekend...

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Can someone elaborate on how Smoke is so advantageous on Kenshi? I really didn't see that this weekend...
He's not. this match is really 5-5 :)

Will post up all the matches at the end of this month...analysis might help in better understanding the match up in general.

Ashenar

Just a slightly above average player.....
Hey teef you are right about that smoke fight 5-5 is pretty much it I played one and had the previous 7-3 match up in my head and when I took it to him after watching the same player house some liu kang at the tournament I was rather happy.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Teef you happen to have a good break down vs kabal. I notice I've had to work extra hard against kabal to get in the low saw and iaf's are a killer and hard to trade with. Would getting in be the only solution and running a low poke combo rk or tks? Also I noticed that tkp moves kenshi's hit box up so even iaf's can hit him from far in the head yet when you parry the same ball sometimes it glitches and absorbs and you gain meter but no reflect.
Hey Man. srry i just noticed ur post. Alright, u came at the right time. cause recently, i've been fighting a lot of kabal's Lately.
i would say this match is HANDS DOWN kabal favor! ...hands down. this match at some point (along with kung lao), might make me sick to my stomach!
both of those chars, dominate my both main (rep and kenshi). to be honest, i really cant figure out a solution!

-Kabals mix ups are too much
-kenshi hurtbox is Horrible! so seriously, your only way to counter cross ups is by doin a reverse EX RK to punish, OR if ur anticipating the jump either dash or regularly walk in or out
-Projectile fight is completely safe for Kabal due to the fact of Proj. spam cancel. at the current patch, u can reflect and nothing would happen, and instead, the second fireball will hit kenshi... hope this IA projtile bug is fixed
add along the saws....this makes everything horrible for kenshi

so yah...this match up is DEF kabal favor in every possible way. i shall do the write up against every character in the project learning lab thread by the end of the month. so for sure i will mention kabal. hopefully will point out some useful pinpoints.

As for the smoke match:
Yup, it's really 5 - 5 ....glad a lot of players agree with me on this :)

Insuperable

for now , i would say 5/5 just because of these points
-Very fast Uppercut
-the mix ups quanchi has in general
-Cross up

those are very general to be honest, though Quan's mix ups are pain sometimes due to the fact of safety on block with some certain inputs.sometimes, i feel that i have to have an EX meter as backup when quan is rushing, or else it might be a little pain. though, as long as quanchi is far away....Kenshi has the upper hand.

but again, i dont fight a lot of good quanchi's! i might be wrong....will for sure look into that

NORI:

hmm, i would say the ermac matchup is 5.5 - 4.5..... i will mention why later on for sure.

in general:

some matches scores

-K VS sonya (6 - 4) EDIT: srry i just noticed this...this is actually Kenshi favor hands down
-K VS Cyrax (4-6)
-k VS kung (3-7)
-K VS kabal (3-7 / 4-6)
-k VS mil (5 - 5)
-K VS reptile (4.5 - 5.5...can go 5 - 5? )
-K vs Kano (6 - 4)
-K VS sektor (4-6)
-K VS noob (4-6)
-K vs Smoke (5 - 5)
-K vs Kitana (5 -5)
-K vs Jax (4-6)
-K VS rain (4-6)
-K vs Scorpion (5-5)
-K vs Cage (5-5)
-K VS Lui (5-5)
-K VS NightW (4-6)
-KVS CSZ (5-5)
-K vs Shang (5-5)

SZSR

Noob
He's not. this match is really 5-5 :)

Will post up all the matches at the end of this month...analysis might help in better understanding the match up in general.
That makes a lot more sense. I was pretty confused with that, since I was pretty much outplayed but still seem to put up a fight.

davidovitch

In Europe!
I only just started playing Kenshi but I am having problem with almost every character. To me his match-ups are not as advantageous as described here. I mean, my opponent can just walk up to my Kenshi while blocking my attacks? And once up close if I don't catch them with a Rising Karma or Spirit Charge I'm basically screwed. So while I may have been able to get some guard damage in, the advantage is quickly lost in the close combat exchanges.

If the opponent can teleport or zone well it becomes even more difficult. Sure I can try to reflect Sub-zero's ice balls but he will still be able to block them if he's far away so it's not very risky for Sub. And if I decide to do his down-ward slash attack and it trades with an iceball I'm screwed again. As for teleporters, many of them can react to my zoning (admittedly I'm still learning so I'm likely too predictable) and teleport into a combo or close pressure.

And what to do against cross-over punches?

Sabin

Elder God
d1 rising karma, d3 to lower kenshi hitbox, or nJP. basically universal moves. it's not easy to beat crossups.
i cant even do d1 vs crossups consistently yet like cdjr lol

d1 rising karma, d3 to lower kenshi hitbox, or nJP. basically universal moves. it's not easy to beat crossups.
i cant even do d1 vs crossups consistently yet like cdjr lol
I've seen on streams where you've used a jumping back punch, then raising karma juggle and finish the rest with a combo. How effective has jumping back punch been for you? Is the hitbox on it reliable to counter your opponent's jump attacks?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
I only just started playing Kenshi but I am having problem with almost every character. To me his match-ups are not as advantageous as described here. I mean, my opponent can just walk up to my Kenshi while blocking my attacks? And once up close if I don't catch them with a Rising Karma or Spirit Charge I'm basically screwed. So while I may have been able to get some guard damage in, the advantage is quickly lost in the close combat exchanges.

If the opponent can teleport or zone well it becomes even more difficult. Sure I can try to reflect Sub-zero's ice balls but he will still be able to block them if he's far away so it's not very risky for Sub. And if I decide to do his down-ward slash attack and it trades with an iceball I'm screwed again. As for teleporters, many of them can react to my zoning (admittedly I'm still learning so I'm likely too predictable) and teleport into a combo or close pressure.

And what to do against cross-over punches?
Hey David. it's just because ur still new to kenshi...through out time, u will understand why some of these matches can be or IS advantageous to Kenshi.

first off, kenshi is VERY good at Offense. his defense is ALSO considered a good offense due to pressure and spam control from full screen. and his defense in general is good untill sweep distance range.
his problem is as u said, characters that sit on kenshi. if ur new to kenshi, u might find it a little hard....though there are solutions for cross overs.

Secondly, after playin with kenshi...i discovered the problem is not that he has a bad close up game at all!! the problem is he's a VERY slow character with a lot of unsafe moves as well. pretty much, mind games and gambling when it comes to escaping cross ups.

third, the jump in punch to throw is now gone! this easy stuff up for kenshi! a lot as well...i will mention why

forth, your talkin about characters just move and block? will...this is how to counter kenshi :S opponent wont stay in his place and eat the same moves over and over. Though, kenshi DOES have a lot of mix ups and pressure....most of them are gambling! if they hit , u go! if they fail in the trap, u go! if not, then here comes good defense and counter pressure

fifth, as Arturo(sabin ) said...THOUGH! those are not reliable! at all in my opinion....except cr+1 IF u can read the opponents jumping arc.
kenshi cr moves has HORRIBLE recovery unlike others (cr+1), as well that kenshi's hitbox is horrid on crouch (body hurtbox)
so , with kenshi u are forced to learn those...which are basics! and sadly few player use that due to a lot of horrible scene in the game (example: Kung spin)

1- crouch attacks. though depend on the jump arc. cr+3 can evade any punch, though it depends on when opponent do it! the reaons is, cr+3 is so fast and recovers fast..thus, kenhsi will have a lower hurtbox advantage while cr+3 is excuted only.....the time bracket is really small :S. as well as, after wards, u have to manuever or punish or else ur still stuck at close up cross overs

2-Standing one. good AA against jump in's. againt cross up as well! though, must be perfectly timed

3- Maneuvering around. Yes. you see opponent crossing over or u kNOW they will cross over, simply move backward, forward , or dash in or out

4- the most reliable, though requires 1 meter. reverse input of EX RK/ SC

PS: sub vs kenshi match just got harder this patch due to Armor on Slide.

another PS: jumping back punch is timing dependable as well as distance dependable. after kenshi's ANY AA JP, it's guarenteed to dahs in into f+3,2~ rk

tshkn

NRS=Needs.Repaired.Systems.
i know this sound noobish since kano vs kenshi is 6-4 but how do u fight that matchup its driving up the wall so much could u do a writeup on how to fight it teef?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
hey Tshkn. ...man if i only had time, i would've posted every matchup!
today i will write the rest of the matchups and post em online for sure. here's the reason why i think this matchup is Kenshi VS kano 6 - 4 kenshi favor.

-Kano nature gameplay is turtle. So turtling kano = Dead Kano. due to reflect.
-Turtling kano = TKS and TELEFLURRY! one reflect will put a free TF into TKS trap for free
-Upclose it's 5 - 5.
-Kenshi offensive on kano, kano doesnt have a lot of answers except upball...bait it and kenshi will punish after

this match can easily go 5 - 5 in my opinion...for now i put it as 6 - 4 just because if kano turtled, then Kenshi will have upper hand,hands down. If kano spamed knives, kenshi reflect. if he tried bait spam of knives into Ball roll, the reflect will hurt him, OR if u baited it out block it and kano is severely punished.

very simple matchup to be honest

Thead

Noob
Hello Kenshi dwellers, I've noticed in the matchups your board puts Kenshi at 5-5 against Jade.

I'm a Jade user and massively struggle against any decent Kenshi. I would put it 6-4 at best and possible even 7-3 in Kenshis favour. Jade struggles getting in on Kenshi due to not being able to Flash through his zoning tools and Reflect nulling her Boomerangs. Once you do manage to dashblock in all it takes is one Spirit Charge and you're set back to fullscreen where the fun starts all over again.

Can some of you Kenshi users explain why this matchup is 5-5 for you? Or is it just a lack of experience against Jade?

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
Hello Kenshi dwellers, I've noticed in the matchups your board puts Kenshi at 5-5 against Jade.

I'm a Jade user and massively struggle against any decent Kenshi. I would put it 6-4 at best and possible even 7-3 in Kenshis favour. Jade struggles getting in on Kenshi due to not being able to Flash through his zoning tools and Reflect nulling her Boomerangs. Once you do manage to dashblock in all it takes is one Spirit Charge and you're set back to fullscreen where the fun starts all over again.

Can some of you Kenshi users explain why this matchup is 5-5 for you? Or is it just a lack of experience against Jade?
hey there
pretty much lack of experience. in the thread i mentioned that the early post were just for quick adjustment....meaning non of it were accurate(for my side, dont know bout others lol). though, i am updating my guide and actually do have some accurate results. will be posting them along with a kenshi miscs tech vid in project learning lab soon :)

the match i would diffenatly say 6 - 4 kenshi favor. Jade has nothing against kenshi Period except her EX shadow....which is a 1 meter requirement to matigate NON armor SC and rk or even TKS.
note: EX SC is so fast on recovery , so in a lot of situation, kenshi can actually escape punishment while jade EX shadow is active

so yes, this match is really kenshi favor :)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I am still new to kenshi but I understand the basics well enough to comment I think. I also have kenshi up against the hardest competition in ga and I have a few thoughts and would like input.

Vs characters like kang, cage, Kung Lao, raiden, mileena And reptile, I feel like kenshi has the best GTFO me move out there. I'm still trying to master the timing but the errors are mine not the characters...any jump in and any dive kick can be prevented by a well timed sc or eh sc. This being said eh spirit charge is the best option but on wakeup not really needed. The best part about it is that as soon as it lands...I can out zone any character in the game...ANY character as long as I'm smart and build meter the right way.

Now I'm not saying it's easy. It's hard to guess right every time on a crossover punch and sometimes the reflect comes out on accident but let me give you my breakdown.

Kung Lao.6-4 kenshi. Up close Lao isn't as much of a threat anymore and it's easy to get in a sc in-between his strings...worst case scenario is a d3 linked to a sc or a d1 to sc...he can't punish a blocked sc. If the sc hits I can zone him with TKS...he can't do anything to get out of TKS either...teleport gets stuffed and other moves can be baited and put in check with TKS of different distances. If he does get a teleport off, I get a free RK or a sc and the process repeated itself...it low hat is a non issue due to reflect, and overall his options are so limited it forces Lao to take risks that kenshi doesn't have to take. Lao can win If he guesses right every time but kenshi can out zone him to the fullest.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Let's add mileena in.another 6-4 for kenshi because of sc.

The only thing kenshi has trouble punishing is eh tele kick. Her d4 is how she spaces most of the cast but with sc, she can't get her comfortable spacing. Also most characters end up jumping at her because they cant dash in due to d4 which gives her AA roll, tele kick, among other options. Reflect makes it more difficult for her to zone and if her only way on is to jump or teleport I'd say kenshi can iron out his way ahead in this matchup. Remember if she does an eh tele kick to get in, that is meter wasted because I blocked it and when she tried to approach after that I gave her the shoulder or eh shoulder on cross up.