What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kano Kano's Ruthless Matchup Discussion Thread

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
People still play Commando while Sun God exists?
Why play Kano in general while Kotal exists? Better damage, better pressure, better meter gain, better mix-ups, better chip damage, better footsies. Only thing Kano has over Kotal are his knives, which are only decent in Cybernetic.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Why play Kano in general while Kotal exists? Better damage, better pressure, better meter gain, better mix-ups, better chip damage, better footsies. Only thing Kano has over Kotal are his knives, which are only decent in Cybernetic.
The only things you've said that Kotal actually has that's better than Kano is damage and pressure. Better chip damage is redundant because you already mentioned he has better damage and you're just adding it to try and emphasise your point.
Kano has better meter gain than Kotal does, Kano can throw knives but what's Kotal going to do to build that much meter that quickly? (Hint: the answer is nothing, Kano builds meter faster)
Cutthroat has neutral/plus on block 50/50s that lead to 40%+ damage. Kotal's mixups are not as good as that. Sun God's ticks are better than Commandos but Commandos grabs do more damage on average.
Footsies are pretty even. Both have great 9 frame mids, Kotal has more range on average but those moves tend to be slower.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
The only things you've said that Kotal actually has that's better than Kano is damage and pressure. Better chip damage is redundant because you already mentioned he has better damage and you're just adding it to try and emphasise your point.
Kano has better meter gain than Kotal does, Kano can throw knives but what's Kotal going to do to build that much meter that quickly? (Hint: the answer is nothing, Kano builds meter faster)
Cutthroat has neutral/plus on block 50/50s that lead to 40%+ damage. Kotal's mixups are not as good as that. Sun God's ticks are better than Commandos but Commandos grabs do more damage on average.
Footsies are pretty even. Both have great 9 frame mids, Kotal has more range on average but those moves tend to be slower.
Also: Kano has better skins

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I'm always feeling better about Commando Kano. He's fairly solid right now imo and just needs some slight buffs and then I think he's ballin'.

Youphemism

Ex parry beating everything (including jumps), choke to have less recovery frames and more hit advantage, and a proper tick throw (either b1 or f4).

Also, can we talk about how Cybernetics mid knives only do 5% but Flamefist's LOW fireball does 10% from his free buff?
The only parries (parrys?) that beat jumps are xrays, sssssssssssssssssssstahp. Choke could do with a few tweaks but I don't see it as something holding the variation back. It's only really -5 on hit against wakeups, against non-wakeups it will have more advantage. I feel he needs at least another one or two ticks to even be worth considering choosing as a command grab character, every other grappler has way more options with their grabs.

kantboy-2

Ripper
They should simplify his command throw motions to down/forward, down/back.
Give him an air throw.
Add b2 from Cybernetic (Power Plant) and that should help with spacing for counters and throws?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The only parries (parrys?) that beat jumps are xrays, sssssssssssssssssssstahp. Choke could do with a few tweaks but I don't see it as something holding the variation back. It's only really -5 on hit against wakeups, against non-wakeups it will have more advantage. I feel he needs at least another one or two ticks to even be worth considering choosing as a command grab character, every other grappler has way more options with their grabs.
It was late, give me a break lol. And fuck it, it is redundant to require meter and still guess high/low and still get beat by jumping. And compare it to Jax's gotcha man. You hit someone with choke and that's it over, they literally don't have to care about oki outside of the corner.

Youphemism

It was late, give me a break lol. And fuck it, it is redundant to require meter and still guess high/low and still get beat by jumping. And compare it to Jax's gotcha man. You hit someone with choke and that's it over, they literally don't have to care about oki outside of the corner.
Choke has a really good hitbox for anti-airing, just use that instead of having to spend a bar on ex parry.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
even in the corner you can't armor break after choke. It's sad.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
What's the matchup guide on players better than you? It always feels like a 0:10 matchup

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
How is the Sun God matchup? I played a friend last night and just got bopped.
Depends on if you're on the beta or not
. I like cyber and commando for it. Cyber has the keep away and ex up ball to keep them out. Commando can parry the long range attacks and anti air ji1 with choke. But once he hits you, you lose 40-50% of your health so there's that.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Depends on if you're on the beta or not
. I like cyber and commando for it. Cyber has the keep away and ex up ball to keep them out. Commando can parry the long range attacks and anti air ji1 with choke. But once he hits you, you lose 40-50% of your health so there's that.
We were in the Beta, and I was playing cutthroat. I'm trying to get strong with all variations, because they all have something very good and different to offer.

Fresh900

"Cooler than a polar bear's toenails." #Outkast
I wish Cyber would get the 2,2 string that Commando has now, or (as somebody already made mention of) maybe increase his db1 maybe just 2%. That's just my opinion tho..

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
How is the Sun God matchup? I played a friend last night and just got bopped.
It's a weird one because on one hand you have cyber/commando constantly chipping away at kotals health in little chunks, and on the other you have Kotal who hits you once for half your health.

In neutral you have to be aware of the spacing after a blocked knife that Kotal can hit you with the spacing of j1 that Kano can't anti air with b1. It's really just a pure footsie match.

I personally like the footsies of cyber over CT in this MU. I feel Kotal is worst when he has to deal with fast projectiles which force an approach.

If you want to play CT play a similar game as Cyber, being wary of the worse knives, and try to land a knockdown midscreen so you can go in.

Reactions: DFC

Legion DC

"Another weakling..."
I don't play my MK X beta. I dont see a lot of changes staying. Kotal' Sun God has the same options as Commando in the beta. Kotal command grabs off of certain strings too. Doing it with less inputs. When done at the same time, Kotal's ex coke can beat both of Kano's ex command grabs. Sun God laughs at my commando. Change Kano variations?? Everyone knows Sun God coke inputs should be changed.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I don't play my MK X beta. I dont see a lot of changes staying. Kotal' Sun God has the same options as Commando in the beta. Kotal command grabs off of certain strings too. Doing it with less inputs. When done at the same time, Kotal's ex coke can beat both of Kano's ex command grabs. Sun God laughs at my commando. Change Kano variations?? Everyone knows Sun God coke inputs should be changed.
That's the reason I play sun god. I don't like 3 directional inputs.

Leave it be. Sungod was nerfed in the beta slightly.