What's new

General/Other - Kano Kano General Discussion Thread

What are the best fundamentals for Kano?
Best Bread and Butters?
I Play cut throat atm, I can't be the only one who is struggling with a back forward input on ps4?

This is me playing are these combos any good ? I was able to use them online btw.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
What are the best fundamentals for Kano?
Best Bread and Butters?
I Play cut throat atm, I can't be the only one who is struggling with a back forward input on ps4?

This is me playing are these combos any good ? I was able to use them online btw.

You have a couple of good combos but you could be getting a lot more bang for your buck. Check both the Kano combo thread and the Kano Cutthroat thread for bigger combos and some strategies.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Instead of replying to a bunch of various posts this is just going in general discussion for Kano. Currently my .02 as of today.

I'm getting a bit tired of players griping about the lack of a 50/50 in 2 of Kano's variations. Admittedly it would be pretty sweet to have an overhead (OH) in all the variations. I'm all for anything that would make him more versatile. But put that out for now, we don't have one.

If you're playing commando and the other person is letting you get into poke range, or even better just sitting there ducking...you can't ask for much more. OH not required, pressure them break some ribs/powerbomb that ass, repeat and sprinkle on some armor or parry obvious wakeup attempts into repeat the cycle, enjoy yourself. In time I think commando will become more and more dangerous as people get better at execution on tick throws, armor, and a better understanding of the game etc. I find you have to have a very strong grasp of fundamentals with him to succeed when opportunity presents and get the damage.

Now for the lack of an OH in cyber. But he's all about spacing people out to zone them or punish them accordingly. NRS even stated this on one of their earlier streams that that is his strong suit and that he excels at it compared to most of the cast, which is holding true thus far for the most part IMO. Hasn't really been a situation where I needed an OH normal yet in cyber which is my main variation atm. You can also use ex-knives to get a chunk of damage as well as a get off me move in turn based or they got in your face scenarios if they want to just duck after. Think, use your resources. Other than that use your strengths to zone and/or space them and if they have tele's or air options around it...gasp, you just might have to make a read and if you're correct you net 25-35%ish.

If you want a go to town with a 50/50 in your face char roll Cutthroat or gain an alt. I think some of you very much mis-understand being members of the Black Dragon.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I played the game first time on saturday against a friend using Scorpion. Tried out Cutthroat and Commando. So here are my initial thoughts:

I feel like choke on Commando needs to be safe. Point blank knives go over crouch blocks and can be punished. This is an issue imo since the only footsie tool you have in commando is f4 and that move terminates your pressure on block unless cancelled into specials, which are all unsafe if read correctly. Jax has safe gotcha grab and energy wave is advantage on block and has to be neutral ducked when canceled into from strings, just to compare. With Commando Kano you have to take too many risks for too little reward, your opponent will be sitting on meter always since they don't have to use breakers against commando so they can just armor you as they see fit and why wouldn't they armor frequently? Punishment in commando is very weak and you don't get much for blocking unsafe moves. Commando could be very good at high level... but we'll see, doesn't really suit my playstyle though.

In Cutthroat you can cancel f4 into bladeslice every now and then vs characters that can't punish it, same chars can't punish f2,1,2 either. Naked ex bladeslice can be used for whiff punishing the same as b2-series in Cybernetic, if f2 wont reach. F2 also punishes lots of uppercuts and sweeps as well. Regular bladeslice on hit is +10, pushes back and the only way to deal with an f4 (10 frames) follow-up is to backdash or block, no frames to use armor and jumps won't evade it either. If they backdash they are backing themselves against the corner (where they will get completely destroyed), whiffed f4 can not be punished after a backdash in this situation. Something to remember about the overhead in Cutthroat is the fact that even if you do have to give up your frame advantage and run cancel into it to hit opponents with it due to it's bad reach, the mere existence of the overhead means that people will be more inclined to use wakeups and armor and just generally press buttons more, read them correctly and you will punish them harder than Cybernetic Kano ever can.

I will give Cybernetic Kano a try in real matches, but Maaaaaannnggg... I absolutely love Cutthroat, everything I ever wanted Kano to have and he has it. F2,1,2 whiff punish reminds me of doing the same with b1,1,2 in MK9. I don't like the idea of having to blow meter in Cybernetic when I could have almost as much in Cutthroat without using meter... but yeah this is just me and my preference, I want high meterless damage and very stiff damage when using meter and godlike punishment... and the corner rape too lol, just an all around solid character that doesn't have terrible match-ups and has good options in all situations. I also don't want to sit at full screen chucking knives after I knock my opponent down now that there is actually an intelligent okizeme system, charge in and get on that ass, they have to guess and they are closer to the corner even if you just run up and block.

Oh yeah almost forgot, since Kano sucked in MK9 in comparison to the rest of the cast, I think now it's safe to say that "Mah turn! No charge!" :D

Edit: OK so bladeslice on hit into f4 is not a legit frametrap, armor is instant, my bad. You have to settle for a d4 if you are in range. Also, the cancel advantage on f4 can't be correct. F4-bladeslice can actually be backdashed if you block the f4 and then backdash. Bladeslice is supposed to be i19 but even with 20+ frames of cancel advantage the bladeslice can be armored through on at least after f4 and f3,3 on block. B3,1,2 can not be armored before the last hit although it says there is a 1 frame gap. 1,1,2 has a gap before the last hit.

Last edited:

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
F4 is his only footsie tool you say....

might want to look into that D3 & D4. Not really combo potential there, but reach and advantage which is huge in commando. Just saying.

But agreed that choke sucks. It's unsafe and has a pitiful -5 advantage on hit if I remember correctly, wtf!?

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I wouldn't take my chances with low pokes versus Goro's f3 or f4 for example, low poke hitboxes are inconsistent versus kicks and they will whiff on jumps. Ermac avoids low pokes at neutral by simply doing any string what so ever. Cum on mang, my avatar is Heihachi, mids from neutral all day 'erryday :D

Edit: Ok ok I was exaggerating, maybe Ez-mac doesn't avoid lows by automagically attacking, but that shit happened with f2,3-Man, I mean Superman in Injustice and a few others who didn't want to get their ballet slippers dirty.

Last edited:
I asked this in the commando thread specifically, but I'm sure people use the EX Kano Ball (cancel) as a way to extend combos in other variations as well. I just can't seem to cancel it quickly enough, it always feels like he's spinning for a few too many frames... every once in a while it looks perfect (though I still can't get the dash, jn1 required of me but that's probably because getting one decent cancel every 5-10 minutes doesn't give me much time to practice the timing on dash, jn1).

I just can't figure out the timing, is there a cue or some other trick to it?

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I asked this in the commando thread specifically, but I'm sure people use the EX Kano Ball (cancel) as a way to extend combos in other variations as well. I just can't seem to cancel it quickly enough, it always feels like he's spinning for a few too many frames... every once in a while it looks perfect (though I still can't get the dash, jn1 required of me but that's probably because getting one decent cancel every 5-10 minutes doesn't give me much time to practice the timing on dash, jn1).

I just can't figure out the timing, is there a cue or some other trick to it?
A little trick I like to use is hitting down three times to help buffer it. Just forget doing a combo and see if you can cancel ex kano ball into a dash 5+ times. Once you start getting the hang of it you'll be able to do it anytime. Also be sure to let go of block as you're inputting your down inputs so you can rotate to dashing.

A little trick I like to use is hitting down three times to help buffer it. Just forget doing a combo and see if you can cancel ex kano ball into a dash 5+ times. Once you start getting the hang of it you'll be able to do it anytime. Also be sure to let go of block as you're inputting your down inputs so you can rotate to dashing.
Works like a charm. Now to just practice the entire string for a bit. So odd, it's almost as if the first down after doing the ball doesn't count, but no matter how quickly I do it, 3 always cancels it.

Edit: aaand combo get! 35% ahoy, etc etc... time to put in the work and then rage when it's impossible in online play. Ahh the sweet circle of life.

Last edited:

CJMxxx

Noob
I really have no idea how to play neutral in this game. I also fuck up timing my normals with peoples wakeups and they just mash against me all day. Sigh.

D+4 into knife toss seems to be a good tool though.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
And now I wil start using the frame data. I didn't trust it before and felt it was subject to change and apparently I was right.

demosz

Noob
On a standing opponent at close range, kanos jumping 1 connects instantly and grounds you. It can link to an attack string. Does this have any applicatons?

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
On a standing opponent at close range, kanos jumping 1 connects instantly and grounds you. It can link to an attack string. Does this have any applicatons?
Does it connect if they're crouching? if the answer is yes then yeah it might have some uses.

Kano in his Commando Variation makes him a beast! I have not lost any matches using commando variation. His back dash and forward dash is so freaking fast! You can whiff some of his combos into his throws. His knife throw is insane and can out zone most projectiles. Kano in MK X is definitely top tier! I cannot find any weaknesses using him.

If you have problems with distance and cant get IN, Do this.
Throw Knife , DASH , D4.
The DASH , D4 pass through 3/4th of the screen in 1 second. If this connects which happends like 90% of the times because your opponent cant react so fast, you are in +18 frames advantage so you can do actually everything.
For example Kano's dash is 17 frames (test fielded by me) which means that after D4 you can dash in him and you shall be on +1.
P.S. - Also a very good distance tool is F4->DB1 ( works like a charm )

Last edited:

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Kano in his Commando Variation makes him a beast! I have not lost any matches using commando variation. His back dash and forward dash is so freaking fast! You can whiff some of his combos into his throws. His knife throw is insane and can out zone most projectiles. Kano in MK X is definitely top tier! I cannot find any weaknesses using him.
Indeed, we can block punish most enemy projectiles with our own projectile. Scrubs online who rely on shotty projectile spam get shat on. Even just being able to close the distance by running then blocking in between their projectiles covers ground so fast, and now they're up close and personal with knees to the ribs.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
If you have problems with distance and cant get IN, Do this.
Throw Knife , DASH , D4.
The DASH , D4 pass through 3/4th of the screen in 1 second. If this connects which happends like 90% of the times because your opponent cant react so fast, you are in +18 frames advantage so you can do actually everything.
For example Kano's dash is 17 frames (test fielded by me) which means that after D4 you can dash in him and you shall be on +1.
P.S. - Also a very good distance tool is F4->DB1 ( works like a charm )
ill try that, aside from missed grab inputs getting in and spacing is probably whats fucking me up the most. i keep whiffing or charging straight ahead and getting bopped hard

Last edited:

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
Just curious is knife throw and up ball an option select against teleporting characters whose attack comes from behind Kano? I've had it happen a few times when zoning scorpion when he tried to teleport up ball came out and beat the teleport.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I'm not one to brag, buuuuuut, I'm the highest ranked (and only) Kano on the ranked 1v1 leader boards :cool:

Button mashers ain't got nothin' on me.
hmmm you can't be the only one unless you got it on ps3 ahead of time or somethin' lol. I been grindin' mad games with commando kano.