What's new

General/Other - Kano Kano General Discussion Thread

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag
i understand that but i did see an Ex knife throw into a decent size combo. the problem being you have to haul ass with the run button to get to them

Obmil

When is Kano trident rush?!
SMH Saltshaker and dave, your up playing will keep Kano down while everyone else gets buffed
R.I.P Kano 2015
#TeamDownPlay
#TeamMakeAllKanoKnivesMid
#TeamNukeFerguson
#TeamGiveKanoTridentRush

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Isn't the string B+1,3? Both that and B+1 are 0 on block and have a 7(?) frame startup?

Or does he have a new starter in Cybernetics?
B23 in Cybernetics is a mid poke that reaches mid screen followed by a mid kick pretty much as long. It's one of, if not the best footsie tool he has in that variation. Quick, safe, nice hit adv, can cancel into laser.

Sorry I'm a filthy Kommando player.
Nobodies perfect. :DOGE

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
SMH Saltshaker and dave, your up playing will keep Kano down while everyone else gets buffed
R.I.P Kano 2015
#TeamDownPlay
#TeamMakeAllKanoKnivesMid
#TeamNukeFerguson
#TeamGiveKanoTridentRush
You're right actually.

Everyone disregard Dave and my statements. Kano is clearly trash tier and needs multiple buffs to even be considered Top 20.

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
You're right actually.

Everyone disregard Dave and my statements. Kano is clearly trash tier and needs multiple buffs to even be considered Top 20.
Finally someone spoke up about it. I didn't wanna be THAT guy who complains about how bad his main is.
Kano needs armour on all normals and specials. All unblockables. Cutthroat should have EX buff activated by default.

If NRS can't do this, I may be able to settle for a smaller buff. Maybe.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
So can someone tell me what is the points of Kano Ball? I figured maybe it would be a fast punisher like the 8-frame low-hitting slides, but nope, it's 12 frames. I figured maybe it would be safer this time around, but nope, it's -45 on block. I figured maybe it led to a combo or untechable knockdown setup on hit, but nope, it deals 9% and a soft knockdown. I haven't tested this yet, but I'm already 90% sure it can be poked with normals, considering the other issues.

So what is the point of this move? Seriously; I'm not trying to complain or put down the character, I am genuinely asking. In MK9 it could follow up a knife to trip up low-skill opponents (any decent opponent would block it for a full-combo punish). In MKX, it doesn't even seem to have that utility. Same with Air Ball, though at least it can sometimes punish bad zoning for shitty damage and a soft knockdown. Am I missing something?

cyke_out

Noob
So can someone tell me what is the points of Kano Ball? I figured maybe it would be a fast punisher like the 8-frame low-hitting slides, but nope, it's 12 frames. I figured maybe it would be safer this time around, but nope, it's -45 on block. I figured maybe it led to a combo or untechable knockdown setup on hit, but nope, it deals 9% and a soft knockdown. I haven't tested this yet, but I'm already 90% sure it can be poked with normals, considering the other issues.

So what is the point of this move? Seriously; I'm not trying to complain or put down the character, I am genuinely asking. In MK9 it could follow up a knife to trip up opponents at a low level (any decent opponent would block it for a full-combo punish). In MKX, it doesn't even seem to have that utility. Same with Air Ball, though at least it can sometimes punish bad zoning for shitty damage and a soft knockdown. Am I missing something?
I'm mainly using it as a ghetto anti air at angles and ranges up ball won't catch. Or as a long range whiff punish since I'm too scrubby to run.

haketh

Noob

So what is the point of this move? Seriously; I'm not trying to complain or put down the character, I am genuinely asking. In MK9 it could follow up a knife to trip up low-skill opponents (any decent opponent would block it for a full-combo punish). In MKX, it doesn't even seem to have that utility. Same with Air Ball, though at least it can sometimes punish bad zoning for shitty damage and a soft knockdown. Am I missing something?
It's a safeish way to end combos in Cutthroat to get a powerup afterwards due to how far it knocks them back, also the EX Version has a stun on the first hit. Aris showed you can do wakeup EX Kano Ball, cancel it & get a combo off of it. Kano Ball is pretty useful, just gotta figure out the applications.

Pretty much been playing Commando exclusively the last day. Even though the game runs like ass on my PC, it DOES work on some stages, lol.

This variation speaks to me, since it's less combo-based. Always had trouble doing them in these games, due to the weird timing. Feels good to have a true grappler in this game, and as a VF player, tick throws are my bread and butter:).

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

I will say this. If there's anything that needs a buff it's Kano's ball. It's literally the only thing I've been complaining about. Here are my reasons.

-I've been hit out of ball so many times it's laughable. It should have much more priority. No one is jabbing Reptile and Sub-Zero out of their slides.

-Air Ball when EX'd at distance I simply get jabbed out on one hit as well, so why does it not have armor when going for the tackle while I'm still highlighted in EX? It has armor, but then armor wears off mid screen??? What? That's the whole point of EX'ing it in the first place. Incredibly limited due to this nonsense.

-It should be faster for more consistent ranged punishing. Especially for the non Cybernetics variations. As you stated, with the slides being 8 frames I don't understand why Kano's isn't at least 8 or 9, especially the EX version.

-Can't cancel the EX Ball on block. If you were able to do this all these weaknesses would be semi-tolerable, but you can only cancel on hit, close range hit at that. Why?

So you ask what is the point of this move? In it's current state, it is good for punishing on reaction for soft knockdowns, spacing on hit for knives or Cutt Buff, as well as cancelling close range EX Ball for combos/mixup, but that's about it. It should be much much more but it isn't.

My one Kano complaint because it is a legit one. Potential is being lost here.

GAMETIME

I Bring Knives To A Gun Fight !
Cut throat has a 50/50 mix up after a d3 hits. The opponent needs to armor, backwash or block to not eat 30-40 damage depending on if you are buffed and your screen position.

For mid screen meter less damage I like using f+212, 4, upball for 24% or at least until I can nail down the stricter timing of f+212,f+212,f+4, straight ball for 29%.
What's his 50/50 for cut throat ?

cyke_out

Noob
What's his 50/50 for cut throat ?
B1 is the overhead
B3 is the low

Both are string starters that can be combo'ed into blade slice. If you ex blade slice it launches. So for one bar, you get a 50/50 combo starter.

It's really the only thing cut throat has going for it, that and insane damage with his buff.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
B23 in Cybernetics is a mid poke that reaches mid screen followed by a mid kick pretty much as long. It's one of, if not the best footsie tool he has in that variation. Quick, safe, nice hit adv, can cancel into laser.

Nobodies perfect. :DOGE
Gotta give Cybernetics and Cutthroat a go. Sucks having to play on your friend's time ;_;

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner

Found a little tick throw OS for Kano. Obviously isn't practical if the dude you're playing knows you're gonna throw it out but it's still pretty cool that it exists. If the d3 hits, Powerbomb/Ribstrike doesn't come out, if they block it, whatever you inputted comes out.

Edit:Derocus found this before me, whoops.

demosz

Noob
Made a video of this and put it in the combo thread. May as well put it here too. Not really sure where blockstrings belong.

Let's talk about these setups.

1. Commando Kano gets a grab if the opponent stays blocking! Yay!

2. Can my opponent jump between the blocked poke and the grab coming out? What kind of Anti-Air punish can I net if I predict this?

3. Can my opponent backdash between the blocked poke and the grab coming out? What kind of punish can I get off that?

4. Does choke catch jumpers out of tick setups?

5. Can you anti-air with standing 1/2 like in MK9? If yes, what kind of damage can you get?

Last edited:
omg -______- i am going to drop kano if my kano community is this slow. Something like this is minute one commando testing, please no useless posts:mad:

edit: demosz just read yours to.... i have lost all hope FailFish
just test for yourself bro, you will feel a better sense of accomplishment when u figure things out on your own
damn TYM should have high level illuminati threads with no job jobs alowed
How about, instead of being destructive towards the morale of your fellow Kano players and putting them down, you encourage them to do well and contribute to developing the character?

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
Are you guys feeling that one GD thread is sufficient for this discussion? I see basically three entirely different characters being discussed here and we're all stepping on each other's toes.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Are you guys feeling that one GD thread is sufficient for this discussion? I see basically three entirely different characters being discussed here and we're all stepping on each other's toes.
I think it's fine if people simply specify which variation they're talking about in their posts.

When people say "Kano can etc" the need to say the variation.

I don't know where to find it. When Jaxel streams it's usually on YouTube the same night. Where is the footage? @DarthArma

Also here's some new combo / set up stuff I have been working on
Shock said he was uploading it, but Im not sure when. Try the kombat network youtube channel. When Jaxel stream it gets uploaded right away because hes uploading it as soon as the match is done. Jaxel is just nuts and NO OTHER streamer does this,,lol. And for that, I love him

Shock said he was uploading it, but Im not sure when. Try the kombat network youtube channel. When Jaxel stream it gets uploaded right away because hes uploading it as soon as the match is done. Jaxel is just nuts and NO OTHER streamer does this,,lol. And for that, I love him
I found the channel, but there are no MKX vids... or am I just bad with the interwebz?