What's new

Is Kotal Kahn the "perfect" character of MKX right now?

Is Kotal Kahn the best-designed character of MKX?

• Yes

• No

• What a stupid thread (aka I cant argue with logic, but like Subzero better just beacuse)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Belial

Noob
\\
snip
Because its the only and best objective method

Yeah I'm not a live journal that keeps tracks of all placements in tournaments, maybe you should keep up with the community instead of just replying with stuff like "hahaha" and "oh lol" and "not even funny" when someone tries to discuss something with you.

Have fun "laughing".

I'm out.
lol, your inability to have a proper conversation is amusing. Bye

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
Once again, what seemed like maybe could have been a decent discussion was instantly changed by OP when he started acting like a pompous douche that doesn't understand conversation, only arguments.

If you need some guidance on shitposting Belial, look at M2Dave's threads. They're the perfect level of controversial and his only comments are merely designed to "edge" people, not frustrate/anger them. They always turn into Grade A threads. You could learn something if you're looking to be "that guy"

Belial

Noob
Once again, what seemed like maybe could have been a decent discussion was instantly changed by OP when he started acting like a pompous douche that doesn't understand conversation, only arguments.

If you need some guidance on shitposting Belial, look at M2Dave's threads. They're the perfect level of controversial and his only comments are merely designed to "edge" people, not frustrate/anger them. They always turn into Grade A threads. You could learn something if you're looking to be "that guy"
Thank you for your most valuable opinion good sir. It has given me much to think about.

Back on topic.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure

To be fair it's actually much the same, he just doesn't oversaturate his market. He just fuels the fire with a comment like this every few pages or so. Also because of his rep for terrible threads people know to check his terrible threads. This guy has some work to put in first but he's definitely on the right path

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Id actually argue that there are more viable variation than useless

You said Sub even though GM is the best Cryomancer is definite more than viable and offers stand out elements that GM lacks, but yeah unbreakable is one of the lower variations

Since the latch patch it has really put the variation system to use, even the shitter variations can have their uses, but they just seem redundant to the better variations
But with a few tweets they can be useful

To answer your Question I would say Jax

Last edited:

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
\\

How'd it get ruined? It's less dumb, definitely. Good is relative though, if they turn a 4-6 Kobu into a 5-5 or 6-4 Pyro/Naginata then it's good in that instance even if it's not good when looking at the meta as a whole. Scorpion was cited as a potential counter to Kabal despite being a mid-tier character, in the game as a whole he's not that great but against one of, arguably THE best character he could be good.
In the case of Kotal his variations are more complementary, almost indepedent of each other. There's no mus where leaving Kobu would be neccesary. It would be downgrading everytime.

just get on and i'll show you how bad it is in a ft100 for old time's sake ok compy

Belial

Noob
Id actually argue that there are more viable variation than useless

You said Sub even though GM is the best Cryomancer is definite more than viable and offers stand out elements that GM lacks, but yeah unbreakable is one of the lower variations

Since the latch patch it has really put the variation system to use, even the shitter variations can have their used, but they just seem redundant to the better variations
But with a few tweets they can be useful
My hope is that all variations will be one day like Kotal Kahn. You can main one exclusively or you can use all adjusting to MU - your call.
Right now all this talk about "potential" doesn't hold any credit since only Kotal has solid proof. It's a shame really I have to explain such basic concepts

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
My hope is that all variations will be one day like Kotal Kahn. You can main one exclusively or you can use all adjusting to MU - your call.
Right now all this talk about "potential" doesn't hold any credit since only Kotal has solid proof. It's a shame really I have to explain such basic concepts
To answer your Question Jax, Kotal, Cassie, Erron Black and Kano I'm pretty sure are all complete and I'm also thinking Takada and Sonya but I'm not too sure on those 2

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
can someone explain to compy that the difference is this:

in injustice, his superman had these ugly resets like f3>dash>divebomb but there were setups like mine that went f3>Actual damage> divebomb reset. somethings are just empirically true than preferential.

anyway, i was the best superman u guise and compy cant hide forever

Slymind

Noob
Kotal, Jax and Kano are the ones the have the best balance across their respectives variations methinks.

I want to say Takeda too, but, i'm not sure how Lasher holds up.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Well. This thread changed tone fast.

Anyway, Jax has a very similar position as Kotal. There is nothing wrong or lacking in any of his variations.

Erron, too, but he did need Gunslinger buffs for that to happen.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
I do actually like this point. Kotal's variations do get a lot of play, but I would like to point out that they're from different players. Madzin exclusively plays Blood God. Forever King also exclusively plays Blood God. Alucard plays Sun God and War God, no Blood God performances from him (yet anyways). Pnut exclusively plays War God as far as I know.

I can't think of any Kotal player that actually plays all 3 variations at once in tournament, its just Kotal mains who have taken their preference.

The exact same can be said about:
  • Erron Black which has Gunshow as your tournament performer for Marksman + Gunslinger. SonicFox for Outlaw + Gunslinger.
  • Quan has Ketchup and Michaelangelo as Summoner + Sorcerer, (kinda reaching here but) iLLusions and Blitzgerste as your Warlock players.
  • Jax has Tyrant for Heavy Weapons, Jupiter for Wrestler and Undeadjim (plays all 3 variations but for this example) playing Pumped Up.
  • Ferra/Torr is a special case where its a very underplayed character.. But Biohazard has played and had solid performances with every variation.
  • D'vorah even fits in this where PPJ has played Brood Mother, Honeybee and Blind Ducky Venemous and basically everyone Swarm Queen.
  • Reptile with DatProStunner playing Nimble, Milky on Noxious and MIT on Deceptive
  • Kenshi where Pig Of The Hut has (correct me if im wrong) played every single variation for certain matchups in tournament play already
Personally I would say that Ferra/Torr is the most relative to what you're trying to describe in this discussion, seeing as all 3 of his variations actually handle a weakness of another. What makes Ferra/Torr different is that there is no reason someone would ever pick up a "Pocket Lackey" if they mained a different character. Several people on the other hand have a pocket Sun God Kotal for example. A F/T main like @Wetdoba or someone could go into more detail here, but generally Ruthless is a solid variation for the majority of matchups.. Vicious is a good anti-zoner for keepaway characters and GM subzero and Lackey deals with pressure characters well because of his 6F D1 and armor options. Kotal seems more (to me anyways) that you play Blood God or Sun God with a pocket War God.

There's some real discussion for you... Lets see if you actually consider it or just continue to yell NO at the top of your lungs while standing on "i dont give a fuck" mountain.

Last edited:

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
When was it with Ketchup? How many patches away?
As for your "list of viable 3 variation characters" - not even funny, sorry.

I think you confused this thread with "buff my character" thread
You do realize that Sorcerer has been the exact same since day 1 right?

Sorcerer is ridiculously good, but Summoner is easier to scrub out wins with. Hence everyone just uses Summoner.

EDIT: Also, the reason we don't see more Sorcerer used in tournament is because I commentate, rather than play.

I assure you that if I wasn't an ESL commentator you would see a lot more Sorcerer in EU tournaments.

Belial

Noob
You do realize that Sorcerer has been the exact same since day 1 right?

Sorcerer is ridiculously good, but Summoner is easier to scrub out wins with. Hence everyone just uses Summoner.
This actually supports My point

I do actually like this point. Kotal's variations do get a lot of play, but I would like to point out that they're from different players. Madzin exclusively plays Blood God. Forever King also exclusively plays Blood God. Alucard plays Sun God and War God, no Blood God performances from him (yet anyways). Pnut exclusively plays War God as far as I know.

I can't think of any Kotal player that actually plays all 3 variations at once in tournament, its just Kotal mains who have taken their preference.

The exact same can be said about:
  • Erron Black which has Gunshow as your tournament performer for Marksman + Gunslinger. SonicFox for Outlaw + Gunslinger.
  • Quan has Ketchup and Michaelangelo as Summoner + Sorcerer, (kinda reaching here but) iLLusions and Blitzgerste as your Warlock players.
  • Jax has Tyrant for Heavy Weapons, Jupiter for Wrestler and Undeadjim (plays all 3 variations but for this example) playing Pumped Up.
  • Ferra/Torr is a special case where its a very underplayed character.. But Biohazard has played and had solid performances with every variation.
  • D'vorah even fits in this where PPJ has played Brood Mother, Honeybee and Blind Ducky Venemous and basically everyone Swarm Queen.
  • Reptile with DatProStunner playing Nimble, Milky on Noxious and MIT on Deceptive
  • Kenshi where Pig Of The Hut has (correct me if im wrong) played every single variation for certain matchups in tournament play already
Personally I would say that Ferra/Torr is the most relative to what you're trying to describe in this discussion, seeing as all 3 of his variations actually handle a weakness of another. A F/T main like @Wetdoba or someone could go into more detail here, but generally Ruthless is a solid variation for the majority of matchups.. Vicious is a good anti-zoner for keepaway characters and GM subzero and Lackey deals with pressure characters well because of his 6F D1 and armor options. Kotal seems more (to me anyways) that you play Blood God or Sun God with a pocket War God.

There's some real discussion for you... Lets see if you actually consider it or just continue to yell NO at the top of your lungs while standing on "i dont give a fuck" mountain.
edit: disregard what I said you're probably right.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Why do people have to pick apart a question and whine like they're five?

He's talking about a character that has three VIABLE variations that you would NEED to make the character complete, but by utilizing those variations you have a VIABLE CHARACTER capable of 5/5ing any MU.

But hey, lets bitch about irrelevant shit and do our best to chase legitimate posters away!

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Cassie, quan, jax, lao, dvorah, takeda, reptile, tremor, predator, tanya, shinnok, johnny, sub, liu are all better than kotal objectively. But is he fun as hell and totally 100% viable? YES

I'm not knocking your opinion but my opinion is no all her variations are not viable shotgun barely makes the quota and high tech is ass,in fact high tech needs a lot of fixes and general buffs before she can even compete with anyone.
The point of the the thread is that characters have 3 good variations jacquis variations are good fir jacqui but the things that make her suck are all across the board just like the long range normals and damage that makes kotal good isnall across the board he juat a good character whilts jacqui is not so much

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
This actually supports My point

edit: disregard what I said you're probably right.
Easier to scrub out wins with against the masses and being actually competitively better are two different things.

Kung Lao gives Quan a hard time in all variations, but no matter who the character is, you put someone in the corner as Sorcerer and they HAVE to guess a safe meterless armoured 50/50. Or you can just do 70% damage for making them block.

He is very good, just not used for a very silly reason. I think eventually we will see a rise of Sorcerer once people actually figure out how good it is.