What's new

Is Kotal Kahn the "perfect" character of MKX right now?

Is Kotal Kahn the best-designed character of MKX?

• Yes

• No

• What a stupid thread (aka I cant argue with logic, but like Subzero better just beacuse)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Provide a list of players winning or placing high at majors for each variation. Or top player using this variation as a main.
BioHazard uses all 3 variations of F/T equally and places top 8s all over the place. Just placed 3rd in the last tournament.
MilkySituation placed top 8 in EVO with noxious Reptile I think, and almost everyone agrees that the other 2 variations are way better than noxious.
WoundCowboy uses all 3 variations of Shinnok and won a major and placed top 8 many times.
Saltface with Mileena, uses all 3 variations. Although almost everyone agrees Ethereal is her best one now. Placed 9th at EVO.
Jax is used all over the place and all 3 variations are used very much, I don't even think this needs mentioning.
All 3 variations of Erron Black are used as well, Crathen won the EU major in Rome just this week with both Outlaw and Gunslinger. DarthArma uses Marksman almost exclusively and does well with him.

Is this "funny" yet?

jharris

I'm not surprised, motherfuckers
also i dont see how having 3 good variations makes him the best designed when tempest covers everything

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Provide a list of players winning or placing high at majors for each variation. Or top player using this variation as a main.

I might have taken your word for it, but still im curious - Why are you playing summoner then? Why every other player uses summoner? Why all the top placings are summoner? Being "just as good" but not seeing play, whatever the reasons dont count.

Yeah right. Everyone forgets Jacky, b/c there is nothing to remember. Nobody places with jacky. Viability nets results, so far no results, no viability
Ketchup placed top 8 at EVO with Sorcerer dude.

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
Everyone forgets Jacqui lol.

Honesty, all 3 variations are viable and all have match ups in which they fair better. I would honestly say they got Jacqui pretty smack bang on atm.

Sure, she has some issues (reflect not being fast and armour being some of the worst in the game) but I think she's pretty much the level that all characters should be balanced towards.

Also, all 3 of her variations are vastly different and play in a completely different manner.

The problem with Jacqui has and always will be underrepresentation. There just isn't anyone using her.
I'm not knocking your opinion but my opinion is no all her variations are not viable shotgun barely makes the quota and high tech is ass,in fact high tech needs a lot of fixes and general buffs before she can even compete with anyone.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
BioHazard uses all 3 variations of F/T equally and places top 8s all over the place. Just placed 3rd in the last tournament.
MilkySituation placed top 8 in EVO with noxious Reptile I think, and almost everyone agrees that the other 2 variations are way better than noxious.
WoundCowboy uses all 3 variations of Shinnok and won a major and placed top 8 many times.
Saltface with Mileena, uses all 3 variations. Although almost everyone agrees Ethereal is her best one now. Placed 9th at EVO.
Jax is used all over the place and all 3 variations are used very much, I don't even think this needs mentioning.
All 3 variations of Erron Black are used as well, Crathen won the EU major in Rome just this week with both Outlaw and Gunslinger. DarthArma uses Marksman almost exclusively and does well with him.

Is this "funny" yet?
i'm just going to tell you what he'll say to this: "not all of those variations have been in top 8, or being used in touramnets does not equate to viability. and who's darth arma?"

What you "think" is your subjective opinion. I can respect that, but I aim for objective numbers, which are thournament results
That's a different discussion then. Are you talking overall balance across variations? Or just balance among the the top-tier characters' variations?

Mileena's variations each are designed to counterpick different styles of play. But she's just fundamentally weak as a character so you don't see her used often in general.

Belial

Noob

Is this "funny" yet?
Biohazard - ok
Everyone agrees - oh lol
EVO was ages ago and though mileena was buffed I dont see people repping her. In fact havent seen SlatFace for a long time. Link?
Jax - heavy. unless you got proof
Erron black oh wow) really? And you bring up some regional tournament now?

I'm saying each have a variation to deal with anything in the game.
It doesnt matter if they "have" its if they are played. They are not. Kung Lao from your list is tempest exclusive. past patches it was buzzsaw exclusive

also i dont see how having 3 good variations makes him the best designed when tempest covers everything
If you cant see why no helping you

What he means is that you can use all 3 of Quan's variations. Yes summoner is the best, but the other two variations are probably top tier too and can definitely be used competitively
Can be and ARE - not the same thing. I understand that logic, however Kotal has that totally unique niche in MKX right now (IMO) that allows (different) people to main every variation and be succesful at majors. I've yet to see any other character like this.

Ketchup placed top 8 at EVO with Sorcerer dude.
Read first, then post. Dude

Belial

Noob
That's a different discussion then. Are you talking overall balance across variations? Or just balance among the the top-tier characters' variations?

Mileena's variations each are designed to counterpick different styles of play. But she's just fundamentally weak as a character so you don't see her used often in general.
Kotal is placing in tournaments in each variation and by different people. While not being exactly top tier also. So I think he's unique in that way. I assume thats pretty clear from my OP, if its not sorry for confusion

Honesty, all 3 variations are viable and all have match ups in which they fair better. I would honestly say they got Jacqui pretty smack bang on atm.

Sure, she has some issues (reflect not being fast and armour being some of the worst in the game) but I think she's pretty much the level that all characters should be balanced towards.

Also, all 3 of her variations are vastly different and play in a completely different manner.

The problem with Jacqui has and always will be underrepresentation. There just isn't anyone using her.
What matchup is High Tech actually better for? I'm having trouble seeing how Shotgun/FA can lose a MU that High Tech wins.

Kotal is placing in tournaments in each variation and by different people. While not being exactly top tier also. So I think he's unique in that way. I assume thats pretty clear from my OP, if its not sorry for confusion
Ah ok. Well Kotal has more people playing him than some of the others. I know Saltface used all 3 of mileena's variations to get to top 8 at some tourney not too long ago (Summer Jam i think?). But yeah, characters like Mileena aren't as popular due to tier placing.

Last edited:

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks

I might have taken your word for it, but still im curious - Why are you playing summoner then? Why every other player uses summoner? Why all the top placings are summoner? Being "just as good" but not seeing play, whatever the reasons dont count.

Yeah right. Everyone forgets Jacky, b/c there is nothing to remember. Nobody places with jacky. Viability nets results, so far no results, no viability
Because believe it or not I play a character cause it's fun lol not just cause it's good. Summoner is more than fine. I like combos and zoning. Sorcerer had dirty shit but I don't find it fun at all. So I stay summoner

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
What you "think" is your subjective opinion. I can respect that, but I aim for objective numbers, which are thournament results
Then you are the least knowledgeable poster in this thread, being incapable of recognizing power or potential in a version outside of the time that someone else better than you goes out and does something with them.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Because believe it or not I play a character cause it's fun lol not just cause it's good. Summoner is more than fine. I like combos and zoning. Sorcerer had dirty shit but I don't find it fun at all. So I stay summoner
Be careful, if you keep going like this you'll lose your hard earned reputation for downplay lol

Belial

Noob
Then you are the least knowledgeable poster in this thread, being incapable of recognizing power or potential in a version outside of the time that someone else better than you goes out and does something with them.
Damn dude you are right, I was blinded by my incapability of realizing power of potential. Too bad all the top players are blind to it as well, they need your guidance ASAP

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher

In what match ups would you ever use high-tech? :/

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
It doesnt matter if they "have" its if they are played. They are not. Kung Lao from your list is tempest exclusive. past patches it was buzzsaw exclusive

Why are we still using tournament results to evaluate how good a character is?

compy pls

fisticuffs is ruined and kobu is exaggerated through character ignorance, her other variations are not good for sure tho
\\

How'd it get ruined? It's less dumb, definitely. Good is relative though, if they turn a 4-6 Kobu into a 5-5 or 6-4 Pyro/Naginata then it's good in that instance even if it's not good when looking at the meta as a whole. Scorpion was cited as a potential counter to Kabal despite being a mid-tier character, in the game as a whole he's not that great but against one of, arguably THE best character he could be good.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Biohazard - ok
Everyone agrees - oh lol
EVO was ages ago and though mileena was buffed I dont see people repping her. In fact havent seen SlatFace for a long time. Link?
Jax - heavy. unless you got proof
Erron black oh wow) really? And you bring up some regional tournament now?
Yeah I'm not a live journal that keeps tracks of all placements in tournaments, maybe you should keep up with the community instead of just replying with stuff like "hahaha" and "oh lol" and "not even funny" when someone tries to discuss something with you.

Have fun "laughing".

I'm out.