What's new

Question Is it more character or player?

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
I think both DJT and Fox are great examples of this game being at least 80% player at a high level.

With that said, I think depending on the character, that can definitely go down. Tanya, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Quan, Predator and Shinnok I personally believe are the dirty characters that is closer to 50% the character, not the player. Likewise, I would say Kano is nearly 100% player since he is almost exclusively fundamentals.

I know from experience of myself and other people though that some characters definitely make someone look a lot better than they actually are, but I don't think thats a thing at high level, only amateur level.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
it's hard to measure something like that. switching to a different character doesn't make you any more or less skillfull. you're still the same person. i'd say if you only do well the higher you go up in the tier list, it's character over skill in most cases

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
You can't just percentage it off, makes no sense. The only time character is relevant is during unbalanced match ups. That is of course a lot of match ups in the game.

It's 100% about the player. Until it's not. Then it's relevant to how much it's not. That's the only real answer here

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Probably something like 80% player, 20% character.

A majority of it is mental (player), but you need the right tools to implement your plan (character).
Let's be honest though -- we've all seen successful players who tried to pick up other characters (some of whom stuck with them for a while) and the difference was far more than a mere 20%. Sometimes they look like a completely diff. player when they're given a diff. set of tools (for better, or for worse).

So I think we'd have to admit that it depends a lot on the specific player (and the character) we're talking about.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
70% player, 30% character if the character is complete.

Depending on how good that character is it can change. Quan Chi has an added bonus of 20%, so a player who is only at 50% can play Quan Chi and be at 100% threat level.

A top player (70%) using say Kano, who is probably 25% maxed, can top out at 95%. So the better player can lose to the lesser player using Quan Chi or Tanya or what have you.

Then you have matchups. A 70% player (top player) using Reptile vs. a 65% player using Sub Zero causes Reptile's peak of 30% to go down 25% because of the matchup. Meaning the match can go either way despite the Reptile player being better.

There's all types of variables between players, characters and matchups which is what makes it all so fun to watch.

My main point is, characters and matchups definitely play a part, it's definitely not 100% player. Problem is I'd say there are only a small handful of players in the NRS community that are probably at the full 70% as a player. Most players are at like 30-50% and then blame everything else on their character, matchups and NRS.

SM StarGazer

The voice of reason in a Sea of Salt
I say 50/50, both the player and the character(s) they are using play an equal part in the success someone has imo.
Your avatar disagrees, but you play Mournful so Praise You. Scrubs can be Gods with Lady Tanya. Maybe it's just my salt tho.

................Nah.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
My main point is, characters and matchups definitely play a part, it's definitely not 100% player. Problem is I'd say there are only a small handful of players in the NRS community that are probably at the full 70% as a player. Most players are at like 30-50% and then blame everything else on their character, matchups and NRS.
I like your analysis, just saying if 70% is max out for the player because 30% is decided by the character, then not a single player of this game is above 60%. Or even 50%. Seriously. Even SonicFox has at least half his skill left inside him in potential. There is always a shit ton of room to improve

Not once did I say that all he does is counter pick. I just think he relies on picking top tiers and going for good match ups than someone like Alucard. I don't know why YOU are so insulted because it's true. I don't know what it is with the street fighter community but if someone has any honest criticism about your favorite player you need to go on an internet rant.
I'm not upset sir. I just think it's inaccurate to say that infiltration needs to counter pick or play top tiers to win. I'm sorry if you think that's me being offended/angry, but it's just an observation. I'd also like to point out that Abel vs Ken is likely a 5/5 matchup but you'd probably disagree.

gam224

The world's least hype player
I'm not upset sir. I just think it's inaccurate to say that infiltration needs to counter pick or play top tiers to win. I'm sorry if you think that's me being offended/angry, but it's just an observation. I'd also like to point out that Abel vs Ken is likely a 5/5 matchup but you'd probably disagree.
Calling someone's post stupid is a sign or being upset. People don't just throw around derogatory terms for fun. Regardless I think infiltration is a fantastic player and I hope to see him do well in SFV.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Its the player. Players like Saltface with his Mileena or Milky Situation with his Reptile (before whatever buffs he received) are proof of that.

But when I think about it, and I don't mean any disrespect, would a player like Dragon be that dope without Tanya? He may very well be dope with other characters I'm just using it as an example.