What's new

Question Is it more character or player?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Assuming it's two higher level players in a game with good balance then f0xy has it.about right, its 80 player, 20 character or there abouts.

Yeah it's to get an advantage. He is a player that is dangerous to others because you don't know what his play-style or character is going to be that day of the week. He has switched to characters like Abel against Momochi at evo or Decapre vs Haitani to get an advantage against him. If you have as many characters as he has under your belt than you are stupid to not counter pick for a good match up.
Decapre vs Makoto is hardly a counter pick. That matchup must be at worst 5.5-4.5. Again though I don't care if you think he counter picks he does sometimes, but saying that he needs to counter pick to win is pretty insulting when he's probably got the most overall game/character knowledge and incredible execution.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I think it's all player. You could give me Summoner Qaun or Tempest Lao, and give Sonicfox (or some other pro player) somebody considered bad like Unstoppable Jason and I would still get bodied even though I have the "better" character, and that's because they are better players than me lol

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Definitely the player. Only characters I can see scrubbing out better players despite skill gap is Quan Summoner or Kobu Tanya. Other than that, it's all player. I would say 80% player, 20% character.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Decapre vs Makoto is hardly a counter pick. That matchup must be at worst 5.5-4.5. Again though I don't care if you think he counter picks he does sometimes, but saying that he needs to counter pick to win is pretty insulting when he's probably got the most overall game/character knowledge and incredible execution.
Not once did I say that all he does is counter pick. I just think he relies on picking top tiers and going for good match ups than someone like Alucard. I don't know why YOU are so insulted because it's true. I don't know what it is with the street fighter community but if someone has any honest criticism about your favorite player you need to go on an internet rant.

Doctor Rektangle

Think outside the Box
23% Player. 77% Character. 7-3 and above MUs

You both are equally experienced but your character overpowers the rest of the cast and has a plethora of tools to dominate te MU in a 3 out of 5 set. Even in a best of set. The character will be the paradigm shift. It's why "Counter picking" in a MU yields benefits.

6-4 to 4-6

100% Player
Best player will adapt, conquer, out play, the opponent. Matches may be close but both players will know what went down. Equal players with close to equal MUS know if they lose. They know THE SPECIFIC reasons for their loss. Not making the right read, correct guess, blocking the Mix Up, dropping a combo, or not respecting the safety of a move or even playing to too safe. It will be the fault of the players that decide the outcome.

10-0 0-10
Do you believe in RNGsus? If no. Then stop picking Sheeva in MK9

This is my own advice.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Honestly like 95% player. The character only REALLY boosts or hurts someone when they are too broken(nobody in mkx imo) or too trash(kenshi and jason). Sonic Fox's erron black is a pretty good example. Nobody sees erron black as a uber broken character but he still it really sucessful with him.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
75% Player 25% Character

A good player with a bad character can still do good. @YOMI REO for example.

A bad player with a good character is still a bad player.

Solignac

Noob
It's definitely more player than character. You not only have to know your own character, but also your opponent's character. You need to have the skill to establish your gameplan to fight with your character against their particular one. Regardless if it's a 7-3 matchup, that doesn't really mean shit unless the player knows how to capitalize on the weaknesses one character has while fighting another.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
But on a serious note i think the worse a character is the more player skill is needed to win but it's different for top tiers. You still need skill to win with top tiers but slightly less than if you used a shitter.it's hard to say if it's 60 40 but it might be character dependant.