What's new

Question Is it more character or player?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
hayatei before takada patch.... You can be a architect, but if you only have cardboard, that's going to be one hell of a house know matter how much you try to reinforce it lol!
Ok so we have the hayatei and pig examples now, but to counter that example we could use sonic fox (Kitana and Erron) who are both relatively mid tier characters (right?) and myself (Buzzsaw Kung Lao) who is also relatively mid tier/now IMO quite low) we managed to make it alright.

Israfel

Designer for BxA
I'm no top level player or anything but I think that majority of this or any fighting game is going to be player based. I could know every single matchup but every player is going to have their own "flavor" of that character. Playing character/variation mirrors proves that much, I think.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Ok so we have the hayatei and pig examples now, but to counter that example we could use sonic fox (Kitana and Erron) who are both relatively mid tier characters (right?) and myself (Buzzsaw Kung Lao) who is also relatively mid tier/now IMO quite low) we managed to make it alright.
When was the last time you saw sonic pick Erron against any of Yomi's tempests? against any tempest even? yeah das rit, he always picks kitana.
HQT being S tier instead of Royal storm is as much of a Yomi's propaganda as it is a joke, her keepaway and anit-zoning game is second to non.
You're right about the rest though, i just don't understand why too many people are downplaying kitana.

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
When was the last time you saw sonic pick Erron against any of Yomi's tempests? against any tempest even? yeah das rit, he always picks kitana.
HQT being S tier instead of Royal storm is as much of a Yomi's propaganda as it is a joke, her keepaway and anit-zoning game is second to non.
You're right about the rest though, i just don't understand why too many people are downplaying kitana.
Mid tier.S tier?No.Why? Terrible mixups, gets zoned out by many characters, damage isn't very good after those RIDICULOUS nerfs, is completely reliant on spacing and zoning which many characters do better.So IMO she's solid mid tier.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Just because kitana goes even against temp lao doesn't make her S tier lol. That's like saying reptile it broken because he beats Quan. Why would they have an invested intrest in downplaying kitana? Her antizoning not second to none.

Darth-Nero

Just because kitana goes even against temp lao doesn't make her S tier lol. That's like saying reptile it broken because he beats Quan. Why would they have an invested intrest in downplaying kitana? Her antizoning not second to none.
An S-tier is an S-tier because it got no losing mu outside of S-tier, If a character out plays every other character in anyway including S-tiers then it is an S-tier itself. She has the fastest projectile in the game that also launches from near full screen, along with the best reflect move. please name a better zoner(s)
I also don't know what you're talking about in quan vs reptile mu there but it's definitely not in reptile's favor.

Am not 100% sure but from the way it looks, Yomi doesn't wanna get on sonic's bad side. Notice how he successfully up played Mileena, diminishing all her chances of getting buffed. That's why it was necessary they complement him by placing kitana in mid-tier, It's simply avoiding war.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
1) have a tournament where only 1 character (the same character) in the cast is allowed to be chosen for all participants to determine the effect of the player
2) have a single participant play through the exact same tournament gauntlet (i.e., play against all the same opponents and their associated characters) several times and be locked to a single, different character each time to determine the effect of the character

...because science.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
An S-tier is an S-tier because it got no losing mu outside of S-tier, If a character out plays every other character in anyway including S-tiers then it is an S-tier itself. She has the fastest projectile in the game that also launches from near full screen, along with the best reflect move. please name a better zoner(s)
I also don't know what you're talking about in quan vs reptile mu there but it's definitely not in reptile's favor.

Am not 100% sure but from the way it looks, Yomi doesn't wanna get on sonic's bad side. Notice how he successfully up played Mileena, diminishing all her chances of getting buffed. That's why it was necessary they complement him by placing kitana in mid-tier, It's simply avoiding war.
You're making assumptions that you can't support as far as that second paragraph goes. And Quan chi is a much better zoner than kitana. Fan only launchers if they jump. Kanos knives are faster. She has no mixups besides throw and x-ray. Good but not S. There's not some secret YOMI illuminati trying to deny kitana her rightful place. Jesus, maybe she's just a perfectly viable mid tier character.

BlackJackSnack

Bags of mostly water
I would say 90 percent player, yes a character can have advantages and disadvantages but if you as a player invest your time in a character you will learn how to play them.

A character who has many weaknesses can only be played by someone who has invested the time and knows what to do in certain situations.

I can't really believe ppl when they say that can only play a certain "type" of character. It is whoever you invest your time in.

Darth-Nero

You're making assumptions that you can't support as far as that second paragraph goes. And Quan chi is a much better zoner than kitana. Fan only launchers if they jump. Kanos knives are faster. She has no mixups besides throw and x-ray. Good but not S. There's not some secret YOMI illuminati trying to deny kitana her rightful place. Jesus, maybe she's just a perfectly viable mid tier character.
Ofcourse it's an assumption, as i said in my previous reply, I don't know why she's being down played by many. Quan have better zoning tools but he is not faster and he doesn't have any defense, unlike kitana. Also comparing her zoning to another S-tier only just proves my point. Kano's daggers might be slightly faster but it doesn't launch and the firing rate does not compare to kitana's instant jumps. Kitana only needed mixups to be just as broken as pre-patched tanya, she's meant be a keepaway zoner with excellent mobility and pressure. top tier footsies game and a 12f two hit armored anti air reversal launcher. applying intense pressure on her is your only chance, but she can counter pick that with her assassin variation that got the best parry in the game so far which completely shuts down characters like kotal khan.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ofcourse it's an assumption, as i said in my previous reply, I don't know why she's being down played by many. Quan have better zoning tools but he is not faster and he doesn't have any defense, unlike kitana. Also comparing her zoning to another S-tier only just proves my point. Kano's daggers might be slightly faster but it doesn't launch and the firing rate does not compare to kitana's instant jumps. Kitana only needed mixups to be just as broken as pre-patched tanya, she's meant be a keepaway zoner with excellent mobility and pressure. top tier footsies game and a 12f two hit armored anti air reversal launcher. applying intense pressure on her is your only chance, but she can counter pick that with her assassin variation that got the best parry in the game so far which completely shuts down characters like kotal khan.
Funny that you mention Kotal kahn because he has the best parry in the game. She's not being downplayed. They are a group of guys that play more mkx than just about anyone and have no motivation to downplay kitana. She's good but not S. I can think of more than 10 characters off the top of my head that are undoubtedly better than kitana. If she was as amazing as you say why isn't she tearing it up every single tournament. I guess she's S if your opponent likes to jump lol.

Ns_Brutalmileena

Wheres Mileener!BRUH
@A F0xy Grampa I'm not claiming this is end all be all, and I agree there are times when skill can over come tier. You and Sonicfox are godlike and these characters while not top tier are relatively great, because this game is honestly not to bad balance wise. But, to think anyone can over come the true bottom tier and to say its mainly skill is to insinuate you can win a major with @Pig Of The Hut Kenshi and @YOMI REO Jason. Until this is done we loyalist will be waiting for someone to show us were bad and need to lvl up, until then its easier said then done......

Also in closing Kitana makes you play at her pace and control, even though shes not top tier, she is a great counter meta character....Erron, every time he touch's you has godlike options from his famous strings, again not a bad character his >>>OPTIONS<<< (the key word here) are competitive......

PS:::: @SonicFox5000 plays them for a reason lol, does anyone think he pulls them out just because he is loyal to them?> or maybe he knows the advantages they offer in certain match ups, [even tho his Mileena upplay in the words of Tanya (disgust me) played her terribly and got away with murder, wasn't punished at all. He calls her A+ tier with know explanation of why, which his performance didn't tell the story. Also didn't play her in any of the winning Tanya match ups ]...

What top players don't understand is he's beating them outside and inside the game sculpting the meta and choosing who he wants NRS to nerf/buff.

PSS::::: You would be a god with kung lao variationless lol. Lastly, if this comes off disrespectful just know this is my opinion, and your probably my favorite player in Mortal Kombat X ATM, along with @YOMI DJT .

Last edited:

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
As a sidenote, I think that godlike players also have a tendancy to have more flexibility in their character choices.

There's that top Dan player Ixion from Europe, and the level he manages to compete at with Dan in SF4 is just stupendous. Justin Wong won MVC3 at Evo with Storm on his team, a character that literally no other top player in the world uses... he's the only one who could play her at that level. I even think back to JOP and his godlike TTT Jack team.

Come to think of it, didn't you win a Ghost Battle back in the heart of Injustice using nothing but frigging Cyborg? I'm fairly sure I remember that happening. It really takes a certain level of player to show the true power of a low tier/underused character, and it's something a lot of even very good players can't do. Understanding that Low Tier Char X has tools Y and Z that make them theoretically viable is definitely different than actually being able to win anything with them haha.

My two cents, anyways!
It's just an understanding of tools and how you can use them to manipulate your opponent to behave a certain way. Regardless of tiers, if you play to the strengths of your character's tools you can force certain behaviors and capitalize on them. And going the other way, if you play a certain way against your opponent's tool you can force certain behaviors as well.

The best players have a certain 'style' and strategy. They aren't just bi-products of their character. You don't become the best by trying to copy someone else and do it better than them because that person has different strengths and weaknesses that are different than yours. People are too scared to be themselves these days in fighting games.

You can have the best character with the best tools, but like my good friend Rambo said...

"I always believed that the mind is the best weapon."

Spooky Deadeye

Project-6 β
70% player, 30% char. Scorpion highlights my strengths and good points. Whatever mistakes i do with him, i find a way to cover it up.

Slymind

Noob
Player for the most part, unless the characters in the equation are in the extremes tierwise, or the particular matchup is simply way too one sided.

MKX for what is worth, seems to have a very nice representation all across the board.

You can't test what percentage it is. There are too many variables. People that are giving a percentage are just making shit up. Good players beat bad players. Some matchups are hard. Get good and level up. Not rocket science, holmes.

Tweedy

Noob

This guy is crazy.