What's new

If MKX Wasn't MK "Branded"...

Would you play MKX if it wasn't MK Branded?

• No

Votes: 75 50.0%
  • I would play more if it was another brand (DC, Marvel, Original, etc)

Votes: 16 10.7%
  • I would play the same amount

Votes: 59 39.3%

• Total voters

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Also, never quote wikipedia or wikiquote.. seriously.. those sites are NOT sources of information.
This is all dependent upon context and situation.

For a college class? Never quote Wikipedia.

For the purposes of a debate on a Mortal Kombat forum? It's perfectly fine to quote Wikipedia.

It is generally pretty accurate. The reason it shouldn't be quoted in college is because it is essentially a third hand source. Which for our purposes, is fine.

This discussion has turned incredibly semantic.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
This discussion has turned incredibly semantic.
Haha yeah we are pretty deep now
We arguing the semantics of HOW to argue the semantics of an argument that is a semantic in it itself to begin with

The next step deeper would be for someone to counter your points somehow and explain how we are NOT actually arguing semantics

Semantiception!

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
To be totally honest I would argue the contrary. I had way more fun watching MK9 tourneys than MKX, by far. There are very few close matches, way too many block strings and corner pressure, and zero fights against time. I think those are reasons why there are few viewers for the weeklies.
Block strings and corner pressure? That sounds like a fighting game complaint, it's totally not specific to MKX. DO you really forget Kuhbawl? MK9 Cage, and Jax? Regarding time outs, this is MK, there are not supposed to be fights against time, there is chip damage instead. How many matches have you seen where someone is chip health away from dying and they have to go on the attack or move around?

These two go together
Fewer viewers? Tournaments get over 3000 viewers on average. That's waaaaaay more than what MK9 ever pulled in.

There aren't as many weekly views because YOMI has consolidated a lot of the best players from each region and has dominated the game outside of SonicFox. Since they are ahead of the curve watching local matches in other regions makes it seem like you're watching college players practicing to become pros instead of watching pros train for their next big major.
Random side note, but I feel like one of the biggest problems with MKX is not actually a problem with MKX. It's just the perception.

Like @Slips said, it's that YOMI has gobbled up the majority of the great players in this country. As has been talked about at length in different threads, MK9's rivalries were one of the things that made the scene so spectacular. The same could be said of any era. For example, if Tekken hadn't had ATL vs STL vs Cali vs NYC (and hell, even NJ, DE and Philly had separate vibrant scenes at the time) it still would've been an incredible game, what but good is an incredible game without hype behind it?

MK9 had Cali vs Vegas vs ATL vs Texas vs GGA vs NYC and several others. Right now, it's pretty much partial GGA (16bit is gone, Real Life seems to be besting several others), Sonic Fox, and YOMI.

It's times like this that the lack of a hype man like 16Bit is sorely missed. He was just as godlike at creating hype as he was at being a Low Tier Hero.
I think the biggest downfall of hype is from injustice era weeklies to MKX weeklies. This is mostly the result of the key people who aren't there. 16 Bit, Slips, Grawlix, THE PANTY CHRIST, Saucy Jack, Max, and Han missing from GGA. Theo, Slayer, and Tyrant missing out of socal. KDZ, Arma, and Decay regularly being missed at the break. A total hush falling over half of ATL who didn't end up in YOMI, we don't see Pig, Saltface, Pokchop, Harold, and Fly. Where's Florida? With all this personality gone, how can we say that is because MKX isn't fun to watch? I don't knock a single person for not being out there, I'm not going after anyone, just trying to articulate my point.

Every major had a story line built in of "do they know the meta with X top character? Does their scene repsresent nationally?" Now it's just "which three people did they put in to fight yomi and the foxes?" Now I know how sad people were when the much-touted MK9 era tension was gone for the start of injustice's life. It hasn't been a year though, this game hasn't had its NEC 2013 yet. I am hoping a little tweak here and there, four new characters (maybe eight who knows?), and continued big league support will keep people practicing enough for MKX to turn into something crazy.

Also, personally, losing Bit and Arma commentating is a huge blow to the fun factor of viewing.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Block strings and corner pressure? That sounds like a fighting game complaint, it's totally not specific to MKX. DO you really forget Kuhbawl? MK9 Cage, and Jax? Regarding time outs, this is MK, there are not supposed to be fights against time, there is chip damage instead. How many matches have you seen where someone is chip health away from dying and they have to go on the attack or move around?

These two go together

I think the biggest downfall of hype is from injustice era weeklies to MKX weeklies. This is mostly the result of the key people who aren't there. 16 Bit, Slips, Grawlix, THE PANTY CHRIST, Saucy Jack, Max, and Han missing from GGA. Theo, Slayer, and Tyrant missing out of socal. KDZ, Arma, and Decay regularly being missed at the break. A total hush falling over half of ATL who didn't end up in YOMI, we don't see Pig, Saltface, Pokchop, Harold, and Fly. Where's Florida? With all this personality gone, how can we say that is because MKX isn't fun to watch? I don't knock a single person for not being out there, I'm not going after anyone, just trying to articulate my point.

Every major had a story line built in of "do they know the meta with X top character? Does their scene repsresent nationally?" Now it's just "which three people did they put in to fight yomi and the foxes?" Now I know how sad people were when the much-touted MK9 era tension was gone for the start of injustice's life. It hasn't been a year though, this game hasn't had its NEC 2013 yet. I am hoping a little tweak here and there, four new characters (maybe eight who knows?), and continued big league support will keep people practicing enough for MKX to turn into something crazy.

Also, personally, losing Bit and Arma commentating is a huge blow to the fun factor of viewing.
I agree

A ton of the mystique and hype IMO is gone but that's a separate topic than this thread

Apologia X

Trump 2020
Honestly, this is the first MK game that doesn't really feel like a Mk game to me. It feels like Injustice 2.0 to me. Especially with the new characters such as Cassie and Jacqui. They're basically a pair of bland military chicks. They're not what I think of when I think MK and with the lore and creativity behind this amazing franchise, it just seems really lazy and uninteresting some of the new characters they added to the game. This is probably the worst character roster they have ever put together in my opinion. I still play it, but it's mostly because of the MK brand. Hopefully they'll get back to their roots in MK11.

Aramonde

Noob
Depends on if the game had interesting characters and atmosphere. I play a little SF4,GGX,KOF13 and SCII-HD but MK is my main fighter because its MK. Characters make a fighing game to me. If that makes me less of a fighting game player by the pros here i dont care.

Nothing could have highlighted your ignorance more than this sentence
the ignorance of someone who has played fighting games for 25 years now. why cant people accept that i say mkx is not a good competitive fighting game because its too easy? why am i an ignorant, butthurt fanboy? i loved mk for everything, of course presentation first, but the fast gameplay and combo system of mk3 made me stay. i also got my enjoyment from all the later games with mk9 being the best. mk was always one of my favourite series in terms of gameplay.

but mkx is imo a huge step backward in the concept of the gameplay. while details like input bug successfully got removed to make it more viable on a competitive level, theyve introduced so many braindead tools that this game is simply not fun to me. the omnipresence of super-powerful "why not?"-moves and even whole sequences of them is killing it for me.

this has nothing to do with being an mk fanboy who is disappointed by the roster (which i am too) but with criticism of the mechanics, which i usually loved in mk games. some people seem to view liking mkx mechanics as evidence for having a puristic understanding of fighting games though.

coolwhip

Noob

These two go together

Very good post. I actually love playing the game and enjoy it tremendously (as in, recently two weeks went by without playing due to real life, and I was itching to play again, which for me, is a sign of a good game). However, I mostly don't bother staying up to watch tournaments these days, and just catch the archive when I can in case something interests me. There are notable exceptions, like the tourney that Foxy showed up to and won because him being there is a breath of fresh air. But yes, competitively, while the level of play has been exponentially higher than what it was at this stage in MK9 and Injustice's lives, things just aren't as interesting, I do think NEC will be different though, and that's one tournament I'm really looking forward to. I'm hoping that this tourney, coupled with KIT shortly after will give the competitive scene some hype boost.

Again, the numbers are great, and the level of play is fantastic. That's not what I'm referring to. It's more about the "feel," if that makes any sense. However, I do think people go overboard with how "unhype" things are. Stuff like Cowboy vs. King and hell, even PL vs Fox was hype as hell. Then again, the fact that we're itching for something like this kinda shows that there was a certain something missing re: rivalries.

But this thread refers to the game itself, which in my mind is fantastic.

Last edited:

virtiqaL

Noob
HOW ABOUT----- People who like MK9 more, you play MK9. People who like MKX, you play MKX. Even people who like Injustice, that's what you do. I'm totally down to watch all 3 on streams. Why don't people just play the game they want to play and support resurgences of older games? Is it possible?
Honestly, if MK9 was still by supported by NRS with patches and fixes, I'd still be playing it.

I would as well. 4 years of input bug and meter drain though, I just can't go back to it.
I wish that was the only thing wrong with the game. If those were the only things wrong i'd still be playing. That didn't bother me anywhere near as much as cyrax and kabal. Playing harder and making way more better decesion to only lose to the cyrax player making one good decesion just defeats the principle of a fighting game. Losing to a lesser player through no real fault of your own is one of the worst feelings. And also.. Kabal. Ugh. Who's even worse. Again, another character that can beat better players than the player who is choosing to go kabal. Kenshi also needed a nerf . If those characters were fixed, i'd definately still be playing. Hell, if only kabal was fixed i'd still be playing. But ugh. That shit really pissed me of and no one should have to deal with that.

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
The real title of this thread should be "Would you play this laggy piece of shit/buggy port if it wasn't called MKX?"
My answer would be no, if this was injustice 2 i'd wait till it dropped in price, buy it to play the story mode then move on just like i did with the original one.

i played mkx for some couple of days after release, then i soon realized how bad the game is (imho, no offense)
and i dont care if its called mk, sf, gg, bb or something. a bad game is a bad game.

but i like UMK3 (the more drunk i am the more i enjoy UMK3) ;D

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
i played mkx for some couple of days after release, then i soon realized how bad the game is (imho, no offense)
and i dont care if its called mk, sf, gg, bb or something. a bad game is a bad game.

but i like UMK3 (the more drunk i am the more i enjoy UMK3) ;D
(me too)

virtiqaL

Noob
I wish that was the only thing wrong with the game. If those were the only things wrong i'd still be playing. That didn't bother me anywhere near as much as cyrax and kabal.
People knock MK9's balance a lot, and I agree it was imba, but I mained Scorp/Sub in that game and in even in match-ups that were not in my favor whatsoever, I rarely felt like I lost a game or set due to wrong guesses, but to wrong decisions. If that makes sense...

Hell, even in a Sub vs. Cyrax match, there was at least a chance to win if you played your hand right and played it patiently. And it was at least rewarding to outplay those match-ups and hype as hell to watch others pull it off too. In MKX, 'outplaying' just tends to feel as if I made the right choice between going for my overhead or low starter... not exactly rewarding.

Balance issues aside, the game was just damn fun, it was crack and it brought me into competitive fighting games. In MK9, win or loss, I was having fun. I don't find it hard to believe that there's people who definitely like MKX, but I feel few people LOVE the game. I have this nagging feeling that everyone who plays the game competitively/defends it wishes it was more than it is (could just be me projecting my own feelings), and that could be for a number of reasons already stated, such as the absence of notable personalities from the MK9 days.

I remember on an episode of KTP back in MK9 when 16 Bit and the guys were discussing what they wanted to see out of a sequel to MK9, and 16 Bit said he basically wanted as little change as possible from MK9. I took that as him saying he wanted a sequel that felt familiar with better balance. Well, MKX to me feels very different from MK9, and that may be a good or bad thing depending on you ask.

-edit-

I also want to point out, notable NRS/MK9 players such as Slips go on about how much of an improvement MKX is, yet we've seen less of them competitively (if at all) than we did in MK9, the supposedly inferior game. I understand that life gets in the way, and we don't always have the funds to travel, but to the "old school" MK9 players (the ones not already in YOMI) that truly feel this is the better game, where the hell are you? There's so many missing faces for this supposedly superior game, and even the ones that are familiar, in some cases, just don't seem to have the same spirit or come off as very inspired. Brady, for example, with all the supposed issues that Sub had in MK9, seemed way more passionate and inspired to compete back in those days. PL doesn't come off as someone who is 'into' the game that much either. CD Bros. are missing, etc. I could go on.

Last edited:
Honestly, this is the first MK game that doesn't really feel like a Mk game to me. It feels like Injustice 2.0 to me. Especially with the new characters such as Cassie and Jacqui. They're basically a pair of bland military chicks. They're not what I think of when I think MK and with the lore and creativity behind this amazing franchise, it just seems really lazy and uninteresting some of the new characters they added to the game. This is probably the worst character roster they have ever put together in my opinion. I still play it, but it's mostly because of the MK brand. Hopefully they'll get back to their roots in MK11.
I personally don't understand how people consider this to be the "worst roster ever."

29 characters. 19 are returning characters. 2 are guest characters (both of whom were heavily requested). 8 are new characters, most of whom actually do fit in well with the universe, and who could replace some older characters as Midway/NetherRealm has apparently wanted to do since after Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.

I mean if you prefer Cobra to Cassie and Darrius to Jacquie, then that's cool, but I suspect you'll be more in the minority.

The 8 new characters in this game are better than almost all of the new characters introduced in the 3D area, with a few notable exceptions (my opinion).

Edit: Put majority when it should have been minority.

Last edited: