What's new

Guide "I Love My Job" -- Deathstroke General Discussion Thread

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
The trait enables unblockable gunshots? Runetrap should be renamed in stroketrap. Btw his prerelease framedata aren't looking that good. I don't think he is an easy choice
If he's a solid zoner like I think he is (i.e. gun shots all day, then he's not going to have that great frame data to compensate. Which makes sense balance wise. All it means is your up close damage will be counter hits or whiff punishment - he won't be instigating much offense (apart from off that fucking sweet ninja spin flip!).

On a side note: I think Ares, Flash, Raven and Catwoman are going to be a big problem for 'Stroke. I'm going to make those four my top priority in terms of match-up knowledge.

If you plan to zone your opponent out, he might be solid. But I think his trait isn´t supposed to stay fullscreen and spam bullets. (I hope you get what I want, i´m not a native english speaker) It´s just an assumption but I think it could be a pressure tool like Quans EX Rune Trap vortex. Lock him down and mix him up, like Quan. In this case, framedata becomes important and his strings aren´t that fast and safe.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
If you plan to zone your opponent out, he might be solid. But I think his trait isn´t supposed to stay fullscreen and spam bullets. (I hope you get what I want, i´m not a native english speaker) It´s just an assumption but I think it could be a pressure tool like Quans EX Rune Trap vortex. Lock him down and mix him up, like Quan. In this case, framedata becomes important and his strings aren´t that fast and safe.
where did you get his frame data? i've heard only good things about him, from people who tested the game no less.

LEGEND

YES!
His trait takes to long to start up and doesn't last long enough for any kinda of "Rune Trap" similarities

Occasionally you might land a string into unblockable and get to throw out a poke while your opp is recovering but thats about it i think.

I'm interested to see what more he's capable off. The footage i've seen only showed about 2 different combos up close and lots of zoning with his guns. I hope he's more than that

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
My only request is that in honor of the Ed Boon Billy Squier "The Stroke" hint that someone use this insane remix of that song for a combo vid dedicated to Deathstroke.

Dem Wubs...its like Tron Legacy or something.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I haven't been able to play him yet, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but I'm wondering how useful his trait is going to be. With its long start-up and fairly short duration, followed by a period of being debuffed, I really can't see myself ever using it. The only way I could really see it being useful is if he has any string that ends with enough Hit Advantage to activate his trait and catch the opponent on wakeup. Linear zoning isn't incredibly hard to avoid, so unless you're able to set up a situation where you can definitely catch your opponent with his unblockable attacks, I might just pretend Deathstroke's trait is being a stone-cold badass, and nothing more.

I haven't been able to play him yet, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but I'm wondering how useful his trait is going to be. With its long start-up and fairly short duration, followed by a period of being debuffed, I really can't see myself ever using it. The only way I could really see it being useful is if he has any string that ends with enough Hit Advantage to activate his trait and catch the opponent on wakeup. Linear zoning isn't incredibly hard to avoid, so unless you're able to set up a situation where you can definitely catch your opponent with his unblockable attacks, I might just pretend Deathstroke's trait is being a stone-cold badass, and nothing more.
Yea I think they got a little too balance happy with it, either the long startup or the debuff, but both?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
A few of us Deathstroke mains are having a discussion via private chat, and I'd like to get general community input on one of our main topics of discussion: Deathstroke's trait.

It just takes so long to activate, and totally gimps him when it's over. Because his metered grenade shots knock the opponent down, I figured it could be used like Rune Trap, where you just burn multiple bars in succession to deal a ton of unblockable damage on wakeup, but the high shots can be ducked and the low shot doesn't knock down, and I don't think the grenade is unblockable unless the gunshots hit.
Also once the trait is activated, your opponent knows you're going to be looking for zoning opportunities. It's like telegraphing your gameplan, and linear zoning really isn't that difficult to dodge. If you do connect a shot, congratulation on your unblockable 10%~ damage, now you're gimped for 4 seconds... I think I'll save myself the hassle and just get in my damage the old-fashioned way.

[Edit] The assault rifle might hit mid, in which case the Rune Trap method would still be viable as long as you have meter and can get your opponent locked down almost immediately after activating the trait, making it pretty sitational.
The rifle hits mid, yes.
I think it'll be more of a mind game. The opponent expects you to hit them with the rifle, so they jump. Boom, you get them with an air pistol and I'm assuming it links into one of his ground pistols too. Using a move that lowers their hitbox? Low shots. I think NRS had it in mind that you couldn't just rape the shit out of them with unblockables because let's be serious, people would complain, and it'd be a little OP to take so much life and them not be able to block.

It could also really open up his offense/counter-offense game. People try to get in after your trait's activating, assuming you'll try and zone, then you catch them with an armored B3/F3 into a full combo punish, or even hitting them with a mix-up to catch them off guard(Being neutral is still really good to be honest, especially for a zoner.) Depending when you hit, you may or may not do a FULL punish with guns included, but even if it's still debuffed or just about to debuff, the combo will last long enough that it won't be too big of an issue, and considering he sends them full screen again, he can turtle it out pretty well too.

Not to mention he can really take a mean life lead (on paper) as I think this is more or less an offensive tool more than defensive, so once it's been deactivated, I think it'd be very easy to lame them out since they still have to get to you(most do), and the chip damage won't even compare to the damage you got on them. I see a few situations where a poorly timed trait will completely fuck you over but hopefully it won't be too bad.
I'm sure there are some interesting possibilities to explore, just at the moment (without ever having used the trait myself) I feel like the risk/reward comes out totally neutral, so why bother with the extra stress of attemping to activate the trait and catch your opponent and then deal with losing access to your zoning arsenal, when you could just opt to not use the trait and keep your opponent constantly locked down from full-screen, eating chip damage? I think Deathstroke's constant zoning will be enough to get people to make stupid mistakes.

Remote15

Noob
Wanted to ask you guys, how are his melee attacks? I know deathstroke is 'that guy', the straight up straightforward zoner, but what of his sword? I seem to think it was nerfed, I remember it being 30% for a simple combo, the same combo now was like 24%

Is he free up close, or can he fight back?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Wanted to ask you guys, how are his melee attacks? I know deathstroke is 'that guy', the straight up straightforward zoner, but what of his sword? I seem to think it was nerfed, I remember it being 30% for a simple combo, the same combo now was like 24%

Is he free up close, or can he fight back?
Sword has a lot of range and he has a low starter too. I don't think he'll suffer up close considering how well off people say he is.

I think his damage was nerfed and vortex and reset removed because LBSH Zoners shouldn't have that shit

Remote15

Noob
Sword has a lot of range and he has a low starter too. I don't think he'll suffer up close considering how well off people say he is.

I think his damage was nerfed and vortex and reset removed because LBSH Zoners shouldn't have that shit
Sounds good.

Another thing though, how is he against someone with anti zoning tools like a Raven or an Ares? Seems like a very tricky match to me. I know he eats through armor, which usually stops chargers like Bane and Doomsday, but how does he fare against teleporters, which you can't shoot? And if they catch you during your machine gun, which is higher in recovery, you might be real screwed.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Sounds good.

Another thing though, how is he against someone with anti zoning tools like a Raven or an Ares? Seems like a very tricky match to me. I know he eats through armor, which usually stops chargers like Bane and Doomsday, but how does he fare against teleporters, which you can't shoot? And if they catch you during your machine gun, which is higher in recovery, you might be real screwed.
He actually seems to have some issues with Bane and Doomsday, based on recent stream footage. I have no idea about the Raven matchup, but with Ares I've seen him own and get owned. It's hard to tell if the quick gunshot can be used to bait out a teleport for a punish or not. Guess we'll know tomorrow night!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
its 8:34 est
Arturo is about to do a Deathstroke breakdown on his stream. Go to the arturo stream thread guys...he just did GL and Aquaman.

karaokelove
Thanks for the heads up. I was at work unfortunately, but I did just win my gamestop's tournament with Deathstroke!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
So far I'm loving Deathstroke! My very first online match was against Phish Head, who you might recognize as the badass Harley player from the other night's stream. I though he would own me, but I got him down to about an inch or red life before he killed me. I beat him on my 2nd try, along with the next 9 opponents, none of which got me past my silver bar. Then everyone left the room.

I do find that he does not deal with lag very well. It makes it very difficult to accurately place his gunshots. So far the only match I've lost, besides my first match with Phish Head, was to a laggy Catwoman.

His trait takes to long to start up and doesn't last long enough for any kinda of "Rune Trap" similarities

Occasionally you might land a string into unblockable and get to throw out a poke while your opp is recovering but thats about it i think.
u have to activate it after you land a combo that ends with machine gun or super. there are a few safe enders after you land a forward 3 or b2u2.... don't just throw it out

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The in-game frame-data is all kinds of jacked up. His Sword Spin seems to be completely safe; it's definitely not -21 on block. I've got an AI Deathstroke set to do Sword Spin reversals(it's a 7-frame start-up), and I can block it every time after he blocks my Sword Spin. If I hit with the tip of the sword, I can even start walking backwards before his Sword Spin reversal starts up, causing it to whiff completely.

The in-game frame-data is all kinds of jacked up. His Sword Spin seems to be completely safe; it's definitely not -21 on block. I've got an AI Deathstroke set to do Sword Spin reversals(it's a 7-frame start-up), and I can block it every time after he blocks my Sword Spin. If I hit with the tip of the sword, I can even start walking backwards before his Sword Spin reversal starts up, causing it to whiff completely.
All of Deathstroke's block advantages in-game are wrong.

It calculates the block advantage using the first hit of every special move only, but all of Deathstroke's specials have multiple hits.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
All of Deathstroke's block advantages in-game are wrong.

It calculates the block advantage using the first hit of every special move only, but all of Deathstroke's specials have multiple hits.
LOL

NRS, you really need to fix this. You did so good with everything else, why is this so screwy ;_;

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Does anyone know if b1u2 can be interrupted? Right now the string seems to be completely unpunishable between its recovery and how far it pushes on block.