What's new

General/Other - Kenshi I keep hearing Kenshi is bad...

I'm a scrub, but I thought Kenshi was pretty elite. He has a few 35-40% dmg combos with easy starters and rising karma has good range. I guess I don't know the frame data comparisons or what ever. I might revert to reptile though if he's improved or better than he was in MK9.

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
is it true that Kenshi was considered "bad" when he was available on MK9 ??(by the time i bought MK9, people had already figure out the char.)
my question is that because i kept hearing from CDJr(Team Spooky Stream) that "Kenshi is not bad", "just put more work...".... here's the video:
P.S. i'm not trying to start a war here, it was just funny, he was trying to hype the match, but he was clearly being sarcastic... lol

Immortal

Blind justice....
is it true that Kenshi was considered "bad" when he was available on MK9 ??(by the time i bought MK9, people had already figure out the char.)
my question is that because i kept hearing from CDJr(Team Spooky Stream) that "Kenshi is not bad", "just put more work...".... here's the video:
P.S. i'm not trying to start a war here, it was just funny, he was trying to hype the match, but he was clearly being sarcastic... lol
Firstly, Sub-Zero MU is actually decent for Kenshi. Secondly that Sub-Zero player made a lot of mistakes and clearly didn't know Kenshi MU. Also that Kenshi player didn't even do right (best midscreen) combos. Thirdly CDJr said on this stream that he has no idea about this character, which is true.

And lastly for like 1000000000 time - NO, Kenshi isn't good at current state in MK X.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
It's easy for people like jr and reo to say this garbage or whoever it was saying this when they're maining Cassie/ quan and Jax/Dvorah /Jaqui

I mean let's start being absolutely f ing serious here

You saw reo recently use quan at a local as well as about 10 other pro players

How many of those players are running to Kenshi?

The answer: NONE OF THEM however if he gets buffed then all of a sudden the narrative becomes "see bro told u he was good" and they start then using him

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
It's easy for people like jr and reo to say this garbage or whoever it was saying this when they're maining Cassie/ quan and Jax/Dvorah /Jaqui

I mean let's start being absolutely f ing serious here

You saw reo recently use quan at a local as well as about 10 other pro players

How many of those players are running to Kenshi?

The answer: NONE OF THEM however if he gets buffed then all of a sudden the narrative becomes "see bro told u he was good" and they start then using him
Ok, agree 100%... especially that none of these guys are playing Kenshi....

but back to my question, was Kenshi that bad(like CDJr and Brady are saying) when he was released back in MK9 ???

P.S. Even Arturo says that he agrees that Kenshi needs buff(him and Brady)

learis1

Guardian Cadet
Kenshi balanced isn't bad, good dmg off overhead/low mixups as well as the best zoning of the three variations. It's his other two variations that are really bad.

Edit: striking out wrong info. I don't want to mislead ppl.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Ok, agree 100%... especially that none of these guys are playing Kenshi....

but back to my question, was Kenshi that bad(like CDJr and Brady are saying) when he was released back in MK9 ???

P.S. Even Arturo says that he agrees that Kenshi needs buff(him and Brady)
Oh in mk9?

When he was released day 1 he was top 2 and broke

Pig Of The Hut

Kenshi balanced isn't bad, good dmg off overhead/low mixups as well as the best zoning of the three variations. It's his other two variations that are really bad.
How u gonna open up good players w top 15 character w a low and a .....low

OH slash is armor launch interruptible and punishable

learis1

Guardian Cadet
How u gonna open up good players w top 15 character w a low and a .....low

OH slash is armor launch interruptible and punishable
Well I'm referring to his low b32 string and his overhead 44 string cancelled into rising karma and juggle for additional dmg. The other two variations don't have that good meterless additional dmg ability from those strings. I suppose if good players reactions are quick enough to see the first 4 and then block high for the overhead then yea he doesn't really have a good 50/50 mixup and will have trouble opening people up.

I'm not saying that balanced is really good, but it's definitely a tier level better than his other two.

Edit: Struckout my completely wrong info in assuming 44 was an overhead.

The top characters in this game feel really braindead to me. I'd rather see more nerfs to top characters than buffs to weaker characters. The game would be more interesting if you actually had to think with every character you play. But I know that ppl would be more pissed if more nerfs were given than buffs. So the way it looks for the future is that every character will be buffed to have braindead stuff in order for the game to be balanced. I'm not looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Well I'm referring to his low b32 string and his overhead 44 string cancelled into rising karma and juggle for additional dmg. The other two variations don't have that good meterless additional dmg ability from those strings. I suppose if good players reactions are quick enough to see the first 4 and then block high for the overhead then yea he doesn't really have a good 50/50 mixup and will have trouble opening people up.

I'm not saying that balanced is really good, but it's definitely a tier level better than his other two. The top characters in this game feel really braindead to me. I'd rather see more nerfs to top characters than buffs to weaker characters. The game would be more interesting if you actually had to think with every character you play. But I know that ppl would be more pissed if more nerfs were given than buffs. So the way it looks for the future is that every character will be buffed to have braindead stuff in order for the game to be balanced. I'm not looking forward to it.
44 is NOT an oh

I think possessed is best

Then balanced closely behind and Kenjutsu blows

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
There are people who seriously wouldn't buy an MK game because their character is allegedly not super good in it? Un-fucking-believable. Lots of people's mains aren't even IN the fucking game and they're still supporting it. Just be thankful Kenshi is in the game period.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
No one said that they weren't getting the game, try reading next time. Also what's the point to be thankful for an absolutely useless character that isn't even mid- tier...
Some characters in every fighting game are just going to have to suck. Unfortunately its Kenshi. We all loved Makoto in 3Rd Strike. Then she was low tier in SF4. just happens

BookBurning

Voidwards
Jax was the first character I really hopped on when MKX dropped and what can I say? He's pretty good, no complaints.

But this thread is about Kenshi. Kenshi sucks.

Also what's the point to be thankful for an absolutely useless character that isn't even mid- tier...
My favorite character in the Mortal Kombat series is Baraka. I'd love to play as him, but NRS felt the need to demote him to NPC status. I'd take a low tier Baraka if it meant he was playable, though to be fair I'm not a tournament player so there is nothing on the line for me to play low tiers.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I still think we need much more time. The game has been out ~2 weeks. Things are found, matchups are explored, etc. Seems is not always is.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
I understand that I am far from a top player. I 0-2 every tournament I go in. But it doesn't take a top player to see how glaringly bad Kenshi is.

People kept talking shit about Possessed and Balanced, so I figured, hey maybe nobody's done Kenjutsu yet. Why not try that?

Hoo boy. If it's not worse, it's certainly just as bad.

I can see where they wanted to go with this character, and why they might have erred too much on the side of caution. Him being straight up faster and safer would make him fairly nasty. However, he's just straight up not. If you keep playing him, kudos because you're playing the person who love, but as someone who's played Dee Jay for 4 fucking years, lemme tell you this : The characters don't love you back.

Nicolas Floyd

Chi Commander.
The Kenshi players I have faced online don't seem as OP as they were in mk9. That being said, mkx feels to have more answers for zoning than the previous installment (running, faster startups, etc...). Although I'm not a Kenshi player, he certainly feels like less of a threat than he used to be. Maybe a few buffs could help, but I personally don't feel like he will be top tier simply due to the overall rush down game in mkx.

We also have to keep in mind that although Kenshi may have his faults, somebody somewhere will find the tech with him, after all, I met plenty of good lex luthers on injustice when people were calling him he worst in the game. Those were matches I thought I had, but was surprised when I found myself trapped at the other end of the screen eating a laser from space.

Pig Of The Hut

The Kenshi players I have faced online don't seem as OP as they were in mk9. That being said, mkx feels to have more answers for zoning than the previous installment (running, faster startups, etc...). Although I'm not a Kenshi player, he certainly feels like less of a threat than he used to be. Maybe a few buffs could help, but I personally don't feel like he will be top tier simply due to the overall rush down game in mkx.

We also have to keep in mind that although Kenshi may have his faults, somebody somewhere will find the tech with him, after all, I met plenty of good lex luthers on injustice when people were calling him he worst in the game. Those were matches I thought I had, but was surprised when I found myself trapped at the other end of the screen eating a laser from space.
Nobody was ever calling lex worse in the game