What's new

Question - Reptile How Good is Reptile?

How good is Reptile?

• Total voters

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
I really just don't see him being that bad. I haven't learned him yet tho. Everyone will have their opinion.
Well I've played him a decent amount and he is unbelievable Meter dependant , it seems like his tools are outclassed by the rest of the cast , and he's just seems so amazingly average.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
I really just don't see him being that bad. I haven't learned him yet tho. Everyone will have their opinion.
Hes knocking on the door of the top 10 but I personally consider him in the 15-20 range.
  1. No safe specials regular or EX
  2. Does not build meter very easily outside of slide combos in nimble and is a very meter dependent character.
  3. His meterless damage is on the low end
  4. Zoning might be the worst in the game with how bad recovery on FBs are (ie Sub zeros ice ball has 3/4 better recovery than FB with the same startup) and how negative Acid Spit is (-16 vs Kano Knives that are -7 with faster startup and recovery). EX forceballs don't recover instantly and are still -19 on block (Subs EX ice ball is -8)
  5. Forceball is no longer a meaty mid, anything that low profiles goes under them giving your opponent a ton of options when you do a FB ender if your opponent can't flat out punish it due to its recovery.
If they would have left him the way he was in the final testing session (OH safe Klaw, EX FBs recovered instant, could stop FB with meter when it left his hand immediately, 6 frame dash) he'd be great but for whatever reason they took it all away and we're left with a character that feels incomplete. If he gets all that back I think every Reptile player would agree, he'd be in the top 10 consideration easy.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Hes knocking on the door of the top 10 but I personally consider him in the 15-20 range.
  2. Does not build meter very easily outside of slide combos in nimble and is a very meter dependent character.
  4. Zoning might be the worst in the game with how bad recovery on FBs are (ie Sub zeros ice ball has 3/4 better recovery than FB with the same startup) and how negative Acid Spit is (-16 vs Kano Knives that are -7 with faster startup and recovery). EX forceballs don't recover instantly and are still -19 on block (Subs EX ice ball is -8)
  5. Forceball is no longer a meaty mid, anything that low profiles goes under them giving your opponent a ton of options when you do a FB ender if your opponent can't flat out punish it due to its recovery.
If they would have left him the way he was in the final testing session (OH safe Klaw, EX FBs recovered instant, could stop FB with meter when it left his hand immediately, 6 frame dash) he'd be great but for whatever reason they took it all away and we're left with a character that feels incomplete. If he gets all that back I think every Reptile player would agree, he'd be in the top 10 consideration easy.
His meterless damage is fine when considered against most of the cast's meterless damage. His zoning is nowhere near the worst in the game, you're comparing his zoning to characters that are meant to chuck projectiles repeatedly from full screen, Reptiles are not. He has a way to blow up people low profiling his forceballs, so that's not an issue.

Him having a safe armored launcher would be ridiculous, Goro is the only character to have that.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Finally someomr gets it. Now someone's goin to call you out and say "nooo broooo why you say he bad! Youre just hung over mk9 reptile".
Although we never said he was bad, just not top ten

Wetdoba

All too easy...
His meterless damage is fine when considered against most of the cast's meterless damage. His zoning is nowhere near the worst in the game, you're comparing his zoning to characters that are meant to chuck projectiles repeatedly from full screen, Reptiles are not. He has a way to blow up people low profiling his forceballs, so that's not an issue.

Him having a safe armored launcher would be ridiculous, Goro is the only character to have that.
Lackey Torr has a safe armored launcher too :D

RapZiLLa54

There are several safe armored launchers in the game not just Goro and I never said his EX OH Klaw, I was talking about his regular one, his EX one was always full combo punishable as it should be.

As for the zoning...you have no idea what you're talking about lol. Reptile throughout MK history has always been about zoning and putting forceballs on the screen. He can't do that in this game, he gets outzoned by almost everyone. Hes a knockdown character like @dribirut stated. In a game with "variations" its a shame he doesn't have a zoning variation. How awesome would it be for Deceptive to have UMK zoning :)

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
There are several safe armored launchers in the game not just Goro and I never said his EX OH Klaw, I was talking about his regular one, his EX one was always full combo punishable as it should be.

As for the zoning...you have no idea what you're talking about lol. Reptile throughout MK history has always been about zoning and putting forceballs on the screen. He can't do that in this game, he gets outzoned by almost everyone. Hes a knockdown character like @dribirut stated. In a game with "variations" its a shame he doesn't have a zoning variation. How awesome would it be for Deceptive to have UMK zoning :)
Yeah but Cassies zoning is bad, but she isn't a zoner so what does it matter?

RapZiLLa54

But he isn't a zoner...
Reptile has always been a zoner
Yeah but Cassies zoning is bad, but she isn't a zoner so what does it matter?
Not sure if serious... You're comparing a brand new character who has average zoning by design to a character that has always been a zoner since the games birth who just all of a sudden isn't anymore even though he has 4 different types of forceballs and acid spit.... lol okay

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
But he isn't a zoner...
His f32 is -5 and not a viable stagger offline. His pokes are very lackluster. His b3 is nice but can't get any damage out of it without Being unsafe and b3 is -6 so you will eat pressure after. His b2 is decent also but has crap range. There are times when I play him that I have to guess right 5-7 times to kill the opponent, while others can do it in 2-3

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
That I can't agree with, his f21 string and b3 are amazing footsie tools.
I don't thing f21 is that great. It has really good range but if it's blicked you are left in a shitty situation where anything you cancel it into is unsafe and the move itself is also considerably negative. You get no reward. I like b3 though but when you compare it to other footsie tools such as kung Jin,ferra, takedas njp, subs clone, all of kanos strings, lius reka, d3 and overhead, devorahs strings, etc it is very lack luster

RapZiLLa54

His f32 is -5 and not a viable stagger offline. His pokes are very lackluster. His b3 is nice but can't get any damage out of it without Being unsafe and b3 is -6 so you will eat pressure after. His b2 is decent also but has crap range. There are times when I play him that I have to guess right 5-7 times to kill the opponent, while others can do it in 2-3
f21 is -4 and does have nice stagger. The opponent has to respect the grab at the end so they have to wait. You have a ton of options here, backdash and whiff punish, jump over, NJP, Armored claw. F21 is very strong.

B3 is -4 and b3(4) comes out crazy fast and does a nice chunk of damage (b34 does 16% by itself). So again its not something that is just easy to reverse pressure on.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Reptile has always been a zoner

Not sure if serious... You're comparing a brand new character who has average zoning by design to a character that has always been a zoner since the games birth who just all of a sudden isn't anymore even though he has 4 different types of forceballs and acid spit.... lol okay
Yeah but that doesn't mean he has to be a zoner in this game... Look at Elbow dash, a crazy fast movement option FOR GETTING IN. Elbow dash doesn't make him run away to get full screen and allow him to start zoning... Reptile is suppose to be all over the place in this game, and as a result doesn't excel in every category. Jack of all trades and master of none, but that doesn't make him bad.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
f21 is -4 and does have nice stagger. The opponent has to respect the grab at the end so they have to wait. You have a ton of options here, backdash and whiff punish, jump over, NJP, Armored claw. F21 is very strong.

B3 is -4 and b3(4) comes out crazy fast and does a nice chunk of damage (b34 does 16% by itself). So again its not something that is just easy to reverse pressure on.
I meant b34 but the grab comes out instantly after so when I play teptile I don't really have trouble if there try to stagger that string. It has pretty bad recovery

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
f21 is ok at best? Not a chance.

All his combos can end in either a force ball or a hard knockdown into 50/50s, so why can't he rush down?
I already stated my reasoning. You just said not a chance.. And that's his knock down game. But in the neutral his rushdown game is alright

RapZiLLa54

f21 is ok at best? Not a chance.

All his combos can end in either a force ball or a hard knockdown into 50/50s, so why can't he rush down?
Because the recovery on forceball is too much so the days of ending in a forceball and getting in someones face no longer exists. IE if you're Johnny Cage and I end with a FB ender you can actually d4 under the forceball and hit me while I'm trying to Dash or Run in to start said "rush down" Or you can Jump out over it and Reptile and we're back to neutral again. Even with EX slow ball he struggles getting in your face due to its recovery. Its only very strong when cutting a nimble combo short.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
His f21 is an amazing string, and his best meterless launcher is SAFE what more do you want? His b3 is great, so you have to make a read to get damage off it, but 2 b34's are 32% on hit which is great. His launching 50\50 should have an unsafe option, as should all.