What's new

Question - Reptile How Good is Reptile?

How good is Reptile?

• Total voters

Method

Full Combo Punishable
And hell yes to the 1 bar Nimble corner carry for 30-40% off f412 ...

I recently made the switch from Nox to Nimble and I doubt I'll be going back.

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I appreciate it man! I used to be considered one the good Reptile guys, I've made top 16s at Majors before but never in the Top 8, I'm not in that upper godlike level lol.

Reptile imo struggles with exactly what he did in Mk9 except unfortunately it will become worse as this game evolves in my opinion. Reptiles problem in Mk9 was he didn't have a poke game so he was constantly having to put his lifebar on the line using his command dash to escape pressure rather than being able to keep people in check with pokes like the majority of the top tier. Reptile here is the same except his Dash is no longer 6 frames so now he will have to use his Ex slide to get out of pressure since his poke game is the same as his best mid at 9 frames.

So when he faces the top characters that have 0 on block strings with 6 frame pokes or normals there will always be the hesitation of "do I try to poke in hope they are trying another string and risking getting hit by a poke which will leave you subjected to the wide range of 50/50s OR do I continue to block and try to counter poke? In most cases the option of dashing isn't even available since its 7-8 frames now so any 6 frame poke will always beat it out at the highest level.

Its odd really, on paper if you were to compare MK9 vs MKX you could very easily argue MK9 Reptile is better since this Reptile is completely 1 dimensional as his zoning is horrendous and he has to be in your face for 50/50s but the power of 50/50s, especially one as quick as Reptiles does make him REALLY scary on knockdown.

Mk9 Reptile Pros: EX Fb was +1 on block, recovered instantly and had AA properties (forceball animation he got low to the ground and put the forceball in front of him) - 321 string was 0 on block throughout every hit and was hit confirm-able on the last hit - One of the highest damage outputs in the game - Acid Hand (overhead special) could be canceled into on d4 or 321 for a true block string with push back leaving you at only -4. EX Dash was also +5 on block but there was a gap and people could armor out if they had meter - Invis could be used as a pressure tool and was only -2 on block when cancelled into. Forceball were meaty mids and only Mileena could roll under them or Kabals silly d4 could consistently go under them. Builds meter quickly due to projectiles and command dash. Best looking combos in the game with the NJP

Cons: No poke game as I mentioned earlier and one of the slowest AA normals in the game, slide was -2 on hit and an awful combo ender lol.
-----

MKX Reptile Pros: 0 on block 50/50 although b34 is -7 and can be full combo punished by you guessed it, the top tier characters with 6 frame starters or pokes. F2 has incredible range and can be used to check people advancing and can be used to do Air to Air combos, something he couldn't do at all in Mk9. Slide is actually positive on hit and is a great combo ender with actual follow up options. d4 is still very good and his 21 string is 0 on block, although both hits after it 21(2)(4) are both full combo punishable as they are -8. f4(1)2 is an overhead.

Cons: No safe specials, Everything Reptile does is full combo punishable with or without meter. Forceballs are not meaty mids which means any move that low profiles in this game will go under them leaving his FB ender setups virtually useless since most characters can actually d4 under the forceball while you are trying to advance in. SubZero can actually punish every FB ender with normal slide before Reptile can recover in time. Cannot counter zone or zone at all. His best bet is spit in hopes of a trade since EX forceball barely recovers faster than the normal fb this time around. Does not build meter quickly since he can't use most of his special moves in zoning or in block strings and his main string f412 is -5 and -6 throughout and has to be hit confirmed on the 2nd hit rather than the last. Can no longer do the NJP combo and FBs scale insanely in combos :(

If hes going to want to dream of being with the eventual top tier of this game, I think he needs EX FBs to be meaty mids + on block with instant or better recovery , Klaw needs to be an overhead and safe on block, and he needs at least a 7 frame poke.

Damn that was a lot lol. Even with all this hes still super fun to play just a completely different version of Reptile from the past incarnations with how much of non-zoner he is. What do some of you guys think? @THTB @RM Cossner @Denzell @G4S J360 @colt @R.E.O.
I think there is definitely something there with reptile potential. i honestly have had many problems with reptiles combo strings linking after (forward+4, 1,2) back-forward+2, dash) i can get some strings, if i remember correctly . 212, slide. connects for 25%.

but all in all, i love reptile, love the kraken and my input would be to, stick with him and learn from others till you find your reptile variation and game play style!

Whats your PSN:RapZiLLa54 i would love to play ya and maybe see your style of reptile and maybe add some ideas to my game with him.
ESG Jagged

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I think he's good...and that's with playing someone who does punish my stuff. XD

I feel like people are too focused on the immediate meta, as well as how unlike MK9 he is, and not playing more to his strengths in this game. Which actually, IMO, isn't really the 50/50s lol.

I'm getting very unsure about Reptile. I've used mostly Noxious, started using Deceptive.

Grandmaster Sub-Zero, and Cryo Sub feel like very bad matchups. Ancestral and Bojutsu Kung Jin both feel like uphill battles. I feel like Reptile just doesn't have a lot of range that he's effective in. He feels pretty strong at point-blank range, but he still doesn't have a good way to get in.

And the forceballs just don't feel so useful lately. So much recovery time, and I don't like committing meter to them. Also, none of his specials are safe, so my opponent doesn't have to respect my offense, since all I can really pressure with are a handful of safe strings.

I'm hoping I'm wrong about Reptile though. I'm also hoping his Nimble variation might be a lot better than the other two. I've seen how Nimble combos are all but guranteed to carry an opponent to the corner, although not as damaging as one would think.

Does Reptile have armor on EX Basilisk?

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
I think there is definitely something there with reptile potential. i honestly have had many problems with reptiles combo strings linking after (forward+4, 1,2) back-forward+2, dash) i can get some strings, if i remember correctly . 212, slide. connects for 25%.

but all in all, i love reptile, love the kraken and my input would be to, stick with him and learn from others till you find your reptile variation and game play style!

Whats your PSN:RapZiLLa54 i would love to play ya and maybe see your style of reptile and maybe add some ideas to my game with him.
ESG Jagged
Rapzilla54

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Reptile sucks buff him. Give B2 the range of Kung Jin's F2 and B3 the start-up of Erron's F1. Make F21 1+3 MB Meterless and make Noxious default Stink do 5% a tick.

He should get a 4th variation where if he does F21 1+3 he instantly wins because he spews acid on your face you should not survive that.

Also make Overhead leap safe and give EX enough hit advantage for a NJP.

With these buffs maybe MAAAAYYBE Reptile becomes mid-low tier at best.

:DOGE

RelentlessOhio

Divekick x 1000
Yeah you reptile players need your balls buffed (pun intended). Any player can see those startup frames almost before they happen and it's lmao. Weak.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Yeah you reptile players need your balls buffed (pun intended). Any player can see those startup frames almost before they happen and it's lmao. Weak.
Start-up is fine. Recovery is what's bad. But I imagine buffing his regular forceball recovery makes his zoning a bit better than below-average making it a tad bit unbalanced. Leave it be. EXes are fine anyways

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I think he's good...and that's with playing someone who does punish my stuff. XD

I feel like people are too focused on the immediate meta, as well as how unlike MK9 he is, and not playing more to his strengths in this game. Which actually, IMO, isn't really the 50/50s lol.
go on...im listening

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
go on...im listening
I feel like he is stronger at pressure based on spacing, rather than the high/low game. A lot of his pressure options have significant pushback, that when combined with his fast steps, gives him good spacing capabilities on normals alone. I feel he's an offensive footsies type of character in this MK.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I don't think he's particularly good to be honest, though the only suggestion I'd have would be to add damage to his F21 string. I need to lab up with Reptile

Method

Full Combo Punishable
I feel like he is stronger at pressure based on spacing, rather than the high/low game. A lot of his pressure options have significant pushback, that when combined with his fast steps, gives him good spacing capabilities on normals alone. I feel he's an offensive footsies type of character in this MK.
I would have to agree. So many of his normals and combos are safe, but all of his specials are unsafe. You can't just toss out yolo slides and dashes, you have to hit confirm everything. Thankfully, his strings are hella easy to confirm for the most part.

My biggest issue (personally) is the 9 frame cieling on his normals. Even his slide is 8 (9?) frames. EX slide is 6, but it burns meter and leads to nothing. How do you guys deal with pressure from the top tier? You can't poke out of it, his specials are slow and get stuffed. I have a hard time "taking my turn" against a player who knows his block strings, abuses quick jabs, and doesn't rely on unsafe specials ... but that is likely my inexperience showing.

Right now, I'm leaning heavily on EX db2 to armor through gaps and start combos, but there must be a better way.

Last edited:

Xev

Noob
When getting pressured just work on that defense, I don't feel it's worth it to do armored wakeups unless I'm sure it hits. But that's just me. God knows I eat through meter like crazy with this character.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
When getting pressured just work on that defense, I don't feel it's worth it to do armored wakeups unless I'm sure it hits. But that's just me. God knows I eat through meter like crazy with this character.
bad idea, if your constantly blocking that means your opponent is building infinitely more meter than you are and we all know how shit reptiles meter building is. my friend plays pumped up jax and just pressures me like crazy. everytime i EX db2 out of his pressure he always has two meters by that time to break the combo. its rough man

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
His run and slide dasb being punishable? Reptile is way to predictable now , he's shit
just kidding hes good :p

Vagrant

Noob
Good enough to be able to see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Not good enough to know why Apple Jacks don't taste like apples.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Ok, NOBODY in this post is saying reptile is really bad. It's quite the opposite actually we all think he's really good, but we discuss his weaknesses because universally weaknesses are the challenges for all characters that we must rise above and overcome. We already know where reptiles strengths lie so there's no need to rehash the same strengths over and over. We're simply discussing his weaknesses so we can develop a viable strategy and refine the character. Gasp