What's new

Question - Reptile How Good is Reptile?

How good is Reptile?

• Total voters
Reptile has always been one of my favs. So I am trying to main him right now. He looks awesome. I do not like how everyone insults his intelligence and his first fatality is lame. But anyways I wanted to know if he is worth the time. I would still play him if he is sub par. Its not the challenge I am worried about. There is a lot of conflicting options on reptile in here. Some say other characters do what reptile does but does it better. I just want to know if he is complete trash and yes the game just came out so this is based of off what you have seen so far.

It's barely week 2 and it's too early to advise on this and others right now. Look at Kabal and Jax in MK9, nobody said jack about them in the beginning and look where it ended. Just use, who you feel comfortable with and give it time.

Gravelands

Cory, Trevor, smokes. Let's go.
It's barely week 2 and it's too early to advise on this and others right now. Look at Kabal and Jax in MK9, nobody said jack about them in the beginning and look where it ended. Just use, who you feel comfortable with and give it time.
While I don't disagree with this, we have to keep in mind that MK9 has already had its release and subsequent digging. I'd like to think that pro's and nerds from all over have a much sharper eye of what to look for, what's good and what isn't good, etc. So I'd expect things a little faster than w/ MK9, and even Injustice (considering that Injustice was virtually nothing like MK9, at least from what time I put into it).

learis1

Guardian Cadet
If there was a section that was in between not bad and solid pick I would choose that one. I saw this really really good Reptile on psn. I think his name was Rapzilla or something. But he made Reptile look very scary. Still, he's gotta take risks and meter to get the ball rolling imo. The biggest issue that I'm finding with reptile is that I can't anti-air worth a shit. My uppercut is just getting stuffed. I voted for solid pick though.

Raptor warrior baby. I miss those sweet force ball combos he had, but jeez if Reptile isn't blisteringly fast now. He has a speed advantage on so many characters now, and his enhanced f2, f1 combo looks great. Not to mention his new overhead claw leap. Nearly half of Reptile's moves can start combos now with meter behind them.

Plus some of his strings just look so cool! Like b3, b4. I think Reptile is a little different now, but he is a rushdown monster WITH some very nice pressure courtesy of the force balls.

Spend some time in the lab, and get to tearing their flesh!!

Very solid choice. He has both fast and safe 50/50 mix ups (a 10 frame overhead? WOW!) and great hard knock down set ups (which are actually good in this game since invincible wake ups have been removed). Despite all this, he also still has a great zoning game.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Based on the Reptiles that I've faced thus far, I'd say he's a pretty solid character. Tends to rely on meter a lot, though.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
He is good enough to win a major or top 8 minimum solid character for sure. He is very viable in this game

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
I'm still learning him but I have his main bnb down but I am loving him. I use deceptive and for now at least switching between the low and overhead while invisible is wrecking ppl.
I came into the game not planning on playing reptile but now he one of my favorite and can't wait to get some more tech for him. Solid damage good mixup and invisibility shiennigans

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Is he like known for being a good player? Cus his reptile was absolutely sick. He was doin insane 30% combos that I have no clue how he managed to pull off online. He's got very good muscle memory.
I appreciate it man! I used to be considered one the good Reptile guys, I've made top 16s at Majors before but never in the Top 8, I'm not in that upper godlike level lol.

Reptile imo struggles with exactly what he did in Mk9 except unfortunately it will become worse as this game evolves in my opinion. Reptiles problem in Mk9 was he didn't have a poke game so he was constantly having to put his lifebar on the line using his command dash to escape pressure rather than being able to keep people in check with pokes like the majority of the top tier. Reptile here is the same except his Dash is no longer 6 frames so now he will have to use his Ex slide to get out of pressure since his poke game is the same as his best mid at 9 frames.

So when he faces the top characters that have 0 on block strings with 6 frame pokes or normals there will always be the hesitation of "do I try to poke in hope they are trying another string and risking getting hit by a poke which will leave you subjected to the wide range of 50/50s OR do I continue to block and try to counter poke? In most cases the option of dashing isn't even available since its 7-8 frames now so any 6 frame poke will always beat it out at the highest level.

Its odd really, on paper if you were to compare MK9 vs MKX you could very easily argue MK9 Reptile is better since this Reptile is completely 1 dimensional as his zoning is horrendous and he has to be in your face for 50/50s but the power of 50/50s, especially one as quick as Reptiles does make him REALLY scary on knockdown.

Mk9 Reptile Pros: EX Fb was +1 on block, recovered instantly and had AA properties (forceball animation he got low to the ground and put the forceball in front of him) - 321 string was 0 on block throughout every hit and was hit confirm-able on the last hit - One of the highest damage outputs in the game - Acid Hand (overhead special) could be canceled into on d4 or 321 for a true block string with push back leaving you at only -4. EX Dash was also +5 on block but there was a gap and people could armor out if they had meter - Invis could be used as a pressure tool and was only -2 on block when cancelled into. Forceball were meaty mids and only Mileena could roll under them or Kabals silly d4 could consistently go under them. Builds meter quickly due to projectiles and command dash. Best looking combos in the game with the NJP

Cons: No poke game as I mentioned earlier and one of the slowest AA normals in the game, slide was -2 on hit and an awful combo ender lol.
-----

MKX Reptile Pros: 0 on block 50/50 although b34 is -7 and can be full combo punished by you guessed it, the top tier characters with 6 frame starters or pokes. F2 has incredible range and can be used to check people advancing and can be used to do Air to Air combos, something he couldn't do at all in Mk9. Slide is actually positive on hit and is a great combo ender with actual follow up options. d4 is still very good and his 21 string is 0 on block, although both hits after it 21(2)(4) are both full combo punishable as they are -8. f4(1)2 is an overhead.

Cons: No safe specials, Everything Reptile does is full combo punishable with or without meter. Forceballs are not meaty mids which means any move that low profiles in this game will go under them leaving his FB ender setups virtually useless since most characters can actually d4 under the forceball while you are trying to advance in. SubZero can actually punish every FB ender with normal slide before Reptile can recover in time. Cannot counter zone or zone at all. His best bet is spit in hopes of a trade since EX forceball barely recovers faster than the normal fb this time around. Does not build meter quickly since he can't use most of his special moves in zoning or in block strings and his main string f412 is -5 and -6 throughout and has to be hit confirmed on the 2nd hit rather than the last. Can no longer do the NJP combo and FBs scale insanely in combos :(

If hes going to want to dream of being with the eventual top tier of this game, I think he needs EX FBs to be meaty mids + on block with instant or better recovery , Klaw needs to be an overhead and safe on block, and he needs at least a 7 frame poke.

Damn that was a lot lol. Even with all this hes still super fun to play just a completely different version of Reptile from the past incarnations with how much of non-zoner he is. What do some of you guys think? @THTB @RM Cossner @Denzell @G4S J360 @colt @R.E.O.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I think he is way better than old mk9 reptile because of all the different variations he offers. I don't think he will need buffs to compete vs the majority of the cast. He may have a few hard matchups but nobody in the cast will completely destroy him in this game.

He actually has mixups in this game. Mk9 rep had no good mixup. He actually has more than one move with armor. Something mk9 rep didn't have besides booty sweat ex slide aha.

He definitely needs to be explored more before any buffs. I doubt he will need buffs in my opinion.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
I think he is way better than old mk9 reptile because of all the different variations he offers. I don't think he will need buffs to compete vs the majority of the cast. He may have a few hard matchups but nobody in the cast will completely destroy him in this game.

He actually has mixups in this game. Mk9 rep had no good mixup. He actually has more than one move with armor. Something mk9 rep didn't have besides booty sweat ex slide aha.

He definitely needs to be explored more before any buffs. I doubt he will need buffs in my opinion.
Different variations? His variations are flat out a joke in comparison to the majority of the cast. Most characters got either a zoning, anti zoning, rushdown, grappling or all of the above while reptile got Grundy trait, poor man flash trait and useless variation lol.

Noxious is by far his best imo (damage boost, kills comebacks, and builds meter safely).

Nimble is cool but again requires meter, something Reptile has trouble building. If you could block like Flash could then I'd consider it his best. The fact it doesn't change block stun and reduces chip damage in half really leaves you scratching your head.

Deceptive is literally wasting a bar to cut combos short to do invisible block strings or mixups when his 50/50 is already strong as hell. Oh and he loses stealth while blocking...

Last edited:

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Deceptive is literally wasting a bar to cut combos short to do invisible block strings or mixups when his 50/50 is already strong as hell. Oh and he loses stealth while blocking...
Deceptive reptile is what got Chris G to top 8 at NWM this year.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
To troll people like he did with Noob?
Chris G, getting top 8 by trolling? I've never heard of such a thing.:DOGE

Regardless, that's the reason I think deceptive is going to be the best variation; the pros know what they're doing.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Reptile is alright. Having a 50/50 doesn't make him better than his mk9 variation since that was pretty much a universal buff. Imo he will need buffs to be tourney viable in the long run. Too unsafe, too little damage, bad pokes, bad zoning, no variation