What's new

Has NRS done a good job patching Mortal Kombat X so far?

Has NRS done a good job patching Mortal Kombat X so far?

• Total voters

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I agree with you. Depends on the character though. Prime examples are Cassie and TG Raiden. If breakers cost one bar of stamina then those two characters, among others ofc, say something like "Ok so? I ll just use my remaining stamina to get on your face and continue my pressure". Tbh with you zoners benefit better with the current breaker engine.
It's not only that though. You woukd be able to use up stamina rushing down and still break immediately after making mistake in a lot of cases. Breaker costing a whole bar makes it more risky to run in.

I care about other characters because any fighting game that only revolves around one gameplay style is boring. I would like to see more variety in Mortal Kombat X. In spite of the horrendous balance and abundant bugs and glitches, Mortal Kombat 9 remained interesting to play and watch for two years because of its variety.

Cyrax - combo heavy
Freddy - full screen zoning
Johnny Cage - rush down
Kabal - versatility
Kenshi - mid range zoning
Kitana - footsies
Kung Lao - mobility
Reptile - set up
Sektor - poking
Smoke - anti-zoning

Each of the top ten Mortal Kombat 9 characters was unique and interesting to play. Even Injustice, which is considered bland by many players, had more variety than Mortal Kombat X.

Aquaman - footsies
Bane - grappler and okizeme
Batgirl - vortex
Doomsday - rush down
Flash - combo heavy
Martian Manhunter - versatility
Sinestro - mid range zoning
Superman - footsies and corner vortex
Wonder Woman - footsies and corner vortex
Zod - full screen zoning

Mortal Kombat X, on the other hand, has far less variety. The vast majority of characters do nothing but 50/50 mix ups and pressure. Your character cannot win in Mortal Kombat X unless he or she has very good rush down.

D'Vorah - footsies and 50/50 mix up
Erron Black - pressure and 50/50 mix up
Jax - pressure and 50/50 mix up
Johnny Cage - pressure
Kung Jin - footsies and 50/50 mix up
Kung Lao - pressure
Quan Chi - full screen zoning and vortex
Raiden - 50/50 mix up
Scorpion - anti-zoning and pressure
Tanya - run away and 50/50 mix up

Even if you are an anti-zoning zealot, I fail to understand why anyone would you want a one-dimensional fighting game. I quit Tekken and decided to play Mortal Kombat because the games are, or at least used to be, more interesting.

omg so much this!!!!!!!!!!

Scoot Magee

Simple, if I can block breaker these characters they can no longer gain massive amounts of meter. And who needs to block breaker Kitana for example? You won't need to be wasting a bar of meter, and a bar of stamina to push them back it's pointless. Raiden is the only one who would be a bit infuriating to have this going for him due to his retarded meter gain because of multihitting strikes. But at the very least you could push him back enough to possibly get out of the corner while he is bullying you there after a guess.
But still just because you can push them off doesn't mean they can't still build a ton of meter. If you don't have a bar or you need your bar you're going to have to deal with the block pressure. Those characters still have the meter building advantage regardless.

As for raiden cornering you, you're still forced to guess. Sure you can push block him off if you guess right but you can save the meter by that point.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
If the whole argument for 1 bar breakers is to tone down 50/50 characters (which it won't like I've been saying since this argument came up) this won't hurt anyone but characters that don't have a strong 50/50 game.
Improved block breakers will serve to deal with pressure such as D'Vorah's f+1,1,2 xx GWC pressure, Erron Black's 2,1,1,2,2 pressure, Johnny Cage's b+1,2 pressure, Kung Lao's EX hat spin pressure, Quan Chi's EX rune pressure, etc. without having to normalize any specific block frame advantages.

In your case, you will still get to spam Scorpion's 2,1,4 xx FBC mindlessly, but your opponent would have an opportunity to push block you for less resources.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
But still just because you can push them off doesn't mean they can't still build a ton of meter. If you don't have a bar or you need your bar you're going to have to deal with the block pressure. Those characters still have the meter building advantage regardless.

As for raiden cornering you, you're still forced to guess. Sure you can push block him off if you guess right but you can save the meter by that point.
No duh you'd have to deal with the block pressure. My point was why would you need to breaker Kano, Goro, Kitana, Jason, Ermac, Sub-Zero, a good portion of the cast. They will do a string and it will be over, you'll take like 3% chip damage, push block that for me, I'll be grateful. I just made you lose a bar of meter and a bar of stamina to stop yourself from taking 3% chip congrats. It would just give options against characters who do/gain obessive amounts of chip/meter is all. And give block breaker meaning.

Scoot Magee

No duh you'd have to deal with the block pressure. My point was why would you need to breaker Kano, Goro, Kitana, Jason, Ermac, Sub-Zero, a good portion of the cast. They will do a string and it will be over, you'll take like 3% chip damage, push block that for me, I'll be grateful. I just made you lose a bar of meter and a bar of stamina to stop yourself from taking 3% chip congrats. It would just give options against characters who do/gain obessive amounts of chip/meter is all. And give block breaker meaning.
It's not really all about chip damage if block breakers are going to work how you mentioned. 1 bar of meter is a pretty low price tag to get out of potential bad situations. For instance, ermacs strings leave him at a great distance to whiff punish, IA green ball and 50/50. Push block can avoid that whole situation. Sub zero could be canceling a string into a clone and you prevent it by push blocking him. I can't confidently comment on what kitana, goro and jason can do so I wont.

@General M2Dave I agree with you that mkx has less variety. Most characters just have different methods to setup the same thing. I just do not think that block pressure is strong enough to make a universal change to the mechanics apart from dvorahs and erron blacks stuff.

BloodyNights

It's not really all about chip damage if block breakers are going to work how you mentioned. 1 bar of meter is a pretty low price tag to get out of potential bad situations. For instance, ermacs strings leave him at a great distance to whiff punish, IA green ball and 50/50. Push block can avoid that whole situation. Sub zero could be canceling a string into a clone and you prevent it by push blocking him. I can't confidently comment on what kitana, goro and jason can do so I wont.
It's one bar of meter and one stamina. I don't know what Ermac is gonna do. What I had in mind was about two characters lengths away for the push block. And even if it was mild, his B3 wouldn't reach. So it doesn't set him up for a 50/50.

Also if I just prevented Sub-Zero from Ice cloning with a block string...why can't he just ice clone where he is at...I don't really get it. lol

Scoot Magee

Improved block breakers will serve to deal with pressure such as D'Vorah's f+1,1,2 xx GWC pressure, Erron Black's 2,1,1,2,2 pressure, Johnny Cage's b+1,2 pressure, Kung Lao's EX hat spin pressure, Quan Chi's EX rune pressure, etc. without having to normalize any specific block frame advantages.

In your case, you will still get to spam Scorpion's 2,1,4 xx FBC mindlessly, but your opponent would have an opportunity to push block you for less resources.
Dave that's fine I understand that point but how will that affect the rest of the game? It will be one bar of meter to get out of any bad situation, that can really hurt some characters. I'm not sitting here just worried about if I can just FBC all day, there's been suggestions that would actually help fireball cancels floating around in this thread that I spoke out against.

Scoot Magee

It's one bar of meter and one stamina. I don't know what Ermac is gonna do. What I had in mind was about two characters lengths away for the push block. And even if it was mild, his B3 wouldn't reach. So it doesn't set him up for a 50/50.

Also if I just prevented Sub-Zero from Ice cloning with a block string...why can't he just ice clone where he is at...I don't really get it. lol
I didn't mean that he would 50/50 after being push blocked. I meant that you have incentive to push block him to keep out of a bad situation where you would have to deal with a mix up. Good ermac players don't just run in 50/50 as much because of how unsafe it is. They usually condition with a string to push you to a good range and give themselves more options than just a raw 50/50.

Yes sub zero can clone from where he is but positioning is key in fighting games. I think it would be a pretty big deal to be able to push block sub away when you're about to get trapped by a clone setup.

Also Kano has some significant advantage on his knives and can do some pretty good chip up close.

BloodyNights

I didn't mean that he would 50/50 after being push blocked. I meant that you have incentive to push block him to keep out of a bad situation where you would have to deal with a mix up. Good ermac players don't just run in 50/50 as much because of how unsafe it is. They usually condition with a string to push you to a good range and give themselves more options than just a raw 50/50.

Yes sub zero can clone from where he is but positioning is key in fighting games. I think it would be a pretty big deal to be able to push block sub away when you're about to get trapped by a clone setup.

Also Kano has some significant advantage on his knives and can do some pretty good chip up close.
So these very small nitpicking situations, that I'd personally gladly let my opponent waste a bar of meter and stamina on, are your reasons against it? Is there any situations that would just be game breaking to characters who'd have this option? I mean... I'm just trying to think about the entirety of the game.

If a character uses this pushblock mechanic, unless they were rocking 3 bars, they couldn't combo break when they get hit, and even if they were if they did and got smacked before their meter refilled they'd have to take damage anyways. Majority of the cast you don't need to break or push back. And the ones that you do push back, pretty much lost nothing for it, instead of chipping you left and right into mix ups from you blocking an attack because hey you gotta block sometimes. They suck the opponents resources away instead, as a chosen option.

Scoot Magee

So these very small nitpicking situations, that I'd personally gladly let my opponent waste a bar of meter and stamina on, are your reasons against it? Is there any situations that would just be game breaking to characters who'd have this option? I mean... I'm just trying to think about the entirety of the game.

If a character uses this pushblock mechanic, unless they were rocking 3 bars, they couldn't combo break when they get hit, and even if they were if they did and got smacked before their meter refilled they'd have to take damage anyways. Majority of the cast you don't need to break or push back. And the ones that you do push back, pretty much lost nothing for it, instead of chipping you left and right into mix ups from you blocking an attack because hey you gotta block sometimes. They suck the opponents resources away instead, as a chosen option.
I never claimed it would be game breaking, I just don't like what I think the game can evolve into. The game has been out for about 2 and a half months and we're already talking about completely revamping the block breaker system before we actually fully understand the game. Every week it's a different strategy or a different character that people bitch about. The game has barely been explored and everyone is jumping to completely change a universal mechanic in the game. I'm not saying I'm absolutely right but I believe it could possibly make the game worse. If anything other changes could be made if it turns out that some of this stuff is way too strong relative to what other characters can do in the long run.

Also I don't think pushing out of a terrible situation is really nitpicking. Once some characters get into a certain position it can be really bad for the other player. If that player has the option to send them abut half screen away for 1 bar of meter and stamina I think that's pretty significant. You're still left with 1 bar of stamina so you have pretty much full mobility and all your normals/specials at your disposal. It's not like it will be free for the other player to just get push blocked and run right back in.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I never claimed it would be game breaking, I just don't like what I think the game can evolve into. The game has been out for about 2 and a half months and we're already talking about completely revamping the block breaker system before we actually fully understand the game. Every week it's a different strategy or a different character that people bitch about. The game has barely been explored and everyone is jumping to completely change a universal mechanic in the game. I'm not saying I'm absolutely right but I believe it could possibly make the game worse. If anything other changes could be made if it turns out that some of this stuff is way too strong relative to what other characters can do in the long run.
Even though the writing is on the wall and the meta of the game is extremely simplistic, I agree that we should wait until buffing universal gameplay features.

BloodyNights

Even though the writing is on the wall and the meta of the game is extremely simplistic, I agree that we should wait until buffing universal gameplay features.
I don't mind waiting it out either. But if another 2 and a half months go by and people still are not using the block breaker system...perhaps then it would be a better time for NRS to look into it perhaps.

Scoot Magee

I think that would be the smart way to go about it. I'm not against gameplay changes but I think a better understanding of the game is required before any big decisions are made.

Scoot Magee

I don't mind waiting it out either. But if another 2 and a half months go by and people still are not using the block breaker system...perhaps then it would be a better time for NRS to look into it perhaps.
Well there's situations where the block breaker does work as intended, people just have the wrong idea on what it is or just want to change what it is.

Scoot Magee

Also I want to say I would completely support you having a good runaway character in mkx. I felt extremely satisfied when I got in on your zod with arrow. It's very fun to me tbh.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i think mkx is balanced better than most games at this point, however i would like for there to be more characters that slow down the pace of the match

Hitoshura

Head Cage
i think mkx is balanced better than most games at this point, however i would like for there to be more characters that slow down the pace of the match
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I agree with you on the pacing of the game. It's going to be hard to do seeing as the entire game is fast paced and run is utilized a lot with rushdown characters. If we as the community want this game to be slower than the games mechanics would need to be altered.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I agree with you on the pacing of the game. It's going to be hard to do seeing as the entire game is fast paced and run is utilized a lot with rushdown characters. If we as the community want this game to be slower than the games mechanics would need to be altered.
nah its really not that bad as far as balance goes. its not as bad as NRS's previous games already and its way better than the overwhelming majority of anime and capcom games. i also think i wordered it poorly when i said "slow down the pace of the match". its not that i want the game to be slower, i just feel that the game is way too disrespectful and there are too few things in the game that really make your opponent stop and have to hold that after a knockdown. i usually find myself losing to people who are way worse than me because im playing too respectful and they're just kinda doing shit

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Kotal ? For little tournament except Alucard (just like Ares in igau). Erron Black would disepear at the same time than Sonicfox. There is no mileena, and no JC at big tournament (DJT dropped him I believe). For the rest, it's not even half of the cast ...

And yeah, on mk9 it was also the same players, all playing Kabal, Cyrax and Kung Lao x)
Both of these things are untrue. Saltface got top 4 at ECT with just Mileena and DJT just won Xbattles with Johnny Cage.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
nah its really not that bad as far as balance goes. its not as bad as NRS's previous games already and its way better than the overwhelming majority of anime and capcom games.
Guilty Gear XRD:Sign and USF4 are more balanced than MKX. There's no arguing against that.

I usually find myself losing to people who are way worse than me because im playing too respectful and they're just kinda doing shit
Then how is it balanced? If you're playing a fighting game the way a fighter is supposed to be played and you're losing to others who just do random shit and get away with it for free then it's not balanced. This game is far from broken, but there are issues with how the game is being played. A lot of characters are fair, due to pros and cons he/she may have, while the top characters aren't as fair as the rest of the cast and that's because they abuse the games mechanics and manipulate them in their favor to a certain degree. They're nowhere near as abusive as Kabal, Cyrax, and Kenshi was in MK9 though. All the top characters build meter quickly, are pretty safe upclose, and have a 50/50 coin toss leading to 40+ damage with corner carry. Now, I can see this game going two ways, one is that all the characters end up playing the same in terms of gameplan to keep up with the meta, or the other is that the "problem" characters, and I'm using the quotation marks for humor, end up playing like a lot of the fair characters. In other words, have mixups that are in target combos which can be seen coming which means you have to open people up in order to get damage. This will equate to a players skill level. Skilled players will be able to get damage via mixups like in SF or KoF by conditioning them to block a certain way and get what they want. Or, some characters will only have a low/overhead like Kano in two of his variations which means more skill is required to obtain the W over your opponent. It's hard to balance a game and NRS is doing a decent job trying to fix this game.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, wait. I want to address something. Why the hell are throws a mixup in the game? What genius thought that would be a good idea to bring that back. Injustice got rid of such cancer in its gameplay yet the tumorous growth is back in MKX.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Both of these things are untrue. Saltface got top 4 at ECT with just Mileena and DJT just won Xbattles with Johnny Cage.
I did not watch the entire X-Battles, but I thought DJT mostly used Tempest Kung Lao. He definitely did in the grand finals.