What's new

grabs beating pokes! game design or bug?

SPY

Noob
On videos it looks like is not a horizontal throw range is crazy long, rather that it's hitbox is extended to the ground and able to whiff punish d4 while being slightly out of the range of it hitbox.

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
Attacks > grabs
Grabs > defending
Defending > attacks

The tried and true triangle system.

End of discussion. If it is intentional, then the game is shittily designed (which it is).

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
If you guys hate how throws are in this game, you'd hate how you can cancel a throw on hit into a combo starter in Blazblue.

I love MK X's throw system. They're actually good and viable, unlike in Injustice.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Happens to me ALL the time using predators d4/d1. It makes me mad as shit. Throws are insane in this game. Tough to break, beat pokes, and can be MB for reset.
Don't you even DARE complain about Predator's d1/d4. Those normals are incredible. Half the cast would sacrifice a goat to have those normals. BTW, Predator's throw range is INSANE, so you likely benefit more than anyone from this mechanic.

DanableLector

UPR DanableLector
Don't you even DARE complain about Predator's d1/d4. Those normals are incredible. Half the cast would sacrifice a goat to have those normals. BTW, Predator's throw range is INSANE, so you likely benefit more than anyone from this mechanic.
Not a complaint, just making a point. IMO predator has some of the best pokes in the game, and can still be beaten by throw... So yeah, throws are good. That's all I'm trying to say. def not talking down on d1, or d4. I play a Kenshi main all the time, so they can be annoying haha. Also, in regard to predators throw i didn't realize the range was insane. I typically use it for semi unbreakable damage in combo, or on occasion after a plasma cancel so I'm pretty close. Thanks for the tip though. I'll look into scenarios where I can use that range.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Not a complaint, just making a point. IMO predator has some of the best pokes in the game, and can still be beaten by throw... So yeah, throws are good. That's all I'm trying to say. def not talking down on d1, or d4. I play a Kenshi main all the time, so they can be annoying haha. Also, in regard to predators throw i didn't realize the range was insane. I typically use it for semi unbreakable damage in combo, or on occasion after a plasma cancel so I'm pretty close. Thanks for the tip though. I'll look into scenarios where I can use that range.
Ok, you're off the hook. He's got a nice tick throw in f4(blocked) throw. Not to mention the standard tick throws just work better with his pokes.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
No good fighting game is realistic.
No fighting game is completely realistic, but aspects of realism in fighting games is a big part of what makes them good. Combination attacks, throws, mix-ups, being classically trained versus having learned on your own - these are all aspects of fighting games that exist in the real world.

Masters of Kung Fu and serious fighting game players are comparable. Kung Fu masters seek to learn the insights behind forms because once a form is understood, anyone trying to use that form can be countered since the master would be more easily be able to predict what the other practitioner would do. That is why masters of kung fu seek to ascertain more forms, so they can not only gain that understanding - but so they can also be less predictable against other masters. Self trained fighters can give kung fu masters pause if they can fight with skill, since they are not predictable - but since they have no understanding or insight derived from being classically trained, they can be easily confused as well. Serious fighting game enthusiasts who understand the fighting meta run into similar obstacles against skilled "noobs" who are unpredictable, but are easily dispatched when attacked safely. Its up to the serious gamer to ascertain what their opponent knows. If they just assume that they are also "classically trained", then they are bound to be confused by the skilled novice's unpredictable nature. In this respect, the mediums of fighting and video game fighting are similar.

I know a lot of you will think this is a waste of time to compare them. I understand that if you immerse your mind fully into the game itself, that you can better understand it completely - and even think better outside the box within the game itself, but I would prefer to continue to look at the real and game world - and make comparisons, so I'm not put off by games as they evolve - and may even be able to contribute by seeing genius and shortcomings as they apply to reality.

Last edited:

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I don't see the problem.

Other fighting games are the exact same way.
You are getting thrown because you are extending your hitbox into the range of the enemy's throw.

...which is not nonsensical or bugged at all.

Reactions: SPY

Rude

No fighting game is completely realistic, but aspects of realism in fighting games is a big part of what makes them good. Combination attacks, throws, mix-ups, being classically trained versus having learned on your own - these are all aspects of fighting games that exist in the real world.

Masters of Kung Fu and serious fighting game players are comparable. Kung Fu masters seek to learn the insights behind forms because once a form is understood, anyone trying to use that form can be countered since the master would be more easily be able to predict what the other practitioner would do. That is why masters of kung fu seek to ascertain more forms, so they can not only gain that understanding - but so they can also be less predictable against other masters. Self trained fighters can give kung fu masters pause if they can fight with skill, since they are not predictable - but since they have no understanding or insight derived from being classically trained, they can be easily confused as well. Serious fighting game enthusiasts who understand the fighting meta run into similar obstacles against skilled "noobs" who are unpredictable, but are easily dispatched when attacked safely. Its up to the serious gamer to ascertain what their opponent knows. If they just assume that they are also "classically trained", then they are bound to be confused by the skilled novice's unpredictable nature. In this respect, the mediums of fighting and video game fighting are similar.

I know a lot of you will think this is a waste of time to compare them. I understand that if you immerse your mind fully into the game itself, that you can better understand it completely - and even think better outside the box within the game itself, but I would prefer to continue to look at the real and game world - and make comparisons, so I'm not put off by games as they evolve - and may even be able to contribute by seeing genius and shortcomings as they apply to reality.

No. Just...no.

Because real life martial artists can launch their opponents in the air and juggle them with punches 30 times before they hit the ground.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Personally I liked the 1, 2 or 1+2 breaks for regular grabs in tekken, even though I never mastered that. Glad they kept them for command grabs. Was more of a point on doing away with things that aren't necessary. Idk how short the window was in TTT1 but I think they could find a sweet spot somewhere. Heck people still got thrown in T6 and TTT2 so it didn't seem like the tech window was too big. As for the crush system, I like it and always thought you could duck throws since tekken 2. However I am by no means an expert. Just a slightly knowledgeable casual lol. I'm sure there are vets that dislike the changes as with every fighter it seems.

I don't think you could implement tekken throws in a 2d game unless you made very specific differences. The only thing that comes close in my mind are purple breaks in BB and those aren't really the same.

For TAP statement. I was talking about balrog's Turn Around Punch. He isn't active the whole time like what seems to be the case for mileena's roll. My point was that I don't see why the active frames of those two moves would be similar when they seem to function differently. Which is also why I said how the MK system is understandable but definitely has it's quirks.

(You must be old school with that "no sympathy" mentality lol. You guys grew up ruthless.);)
We'll just have to agree to disagree on the philosophy of throws should work. I think it's fine and I prefer throws being good as opposed to just being ok. And my main point was that this is something that was in MK9 and it's been in many fighters before.

About TAP. The newer SF games normal throws have very little reach, but when you go back to ST you have characters like Chun, Balrog, Blanka and Dhalsim who's throw range had more reach than a lot of characters jabs and shorts. Those games you could be thrown out of your active frames.

Throw range is what causes this to happen. It's just the law of priority in fighting games. When a hitbox on a throw extends pretty far out while the hurtbox stays in place, it can have good priority and can throw limbs and rolls and slides.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Kinda like how Balrog can be thrown out of dash/turn punches? Or in Tekken when throws beat out Electrics? I'm not sure why people are so baffled by a mechanic that exists in most fighting games. I think Virtua Fighter is the only fighting game where strike will always beat throw.
DOA as well due to the triangle system

for these who think that the reason why the d4 is been grab is because d4 don't low profile here a small test i did about it. as you guys now kung lao's f2 is a mid attack

i am not trying to say this is bad or good i am just trying to show the new properties of grabs in mkx and how they work now

Throws are just plain bad in this game. 1,1 pause, 1,1 pause, d3, d3, 1,1, grab should not be a viable pressure option lol. Thats a complete joke. Its just lazy development to have to succumb to and or completely be overpowered by some of these insane blockstring/meter building characters with the additional option to grab your attack while you try to fight your way out of complete destruction. Lol that's pretty funny. Meter management means nothing when you cant gain any

for these who think that the reason why the d4 is been grab is because d4 don't low profile here a small test i did about it. as you guys now kung lao's f2 is a mid attack

i am not trying to say this is bad or good i am just trying to show the new properties of grabs in mkx and how they work now
Does that not look like a bug? KL grabs the open air above the character then sucks the character into a grab animation. Lazy development/design? Thats about as bad as KL's teleport vacuum grab that's sucks him the distance of a standing 1 towards his opponent to complete the grab just to give him advantage if he ports to far.

Rude

Throws are just plain bad in this game. 1,1 pause, 1,1 pause, d3, d3, 1,1, grab should not be a viable pressure option lol. Thats a complete joke. Its just lazy development to have to succumb to and or completely be overpowered by some of these insane blockstring/meter building characters with the additional option to grab your attack while you try to fight your way out of complete destruction. Lol that's pretty funny. Meter management means nothing when you cant gain any
It isn't a viable pressure option if you poke in between staggers. Or duck the high jabs. Or armor. Or block breaker. Or play better footsies and not find yourself in that situation.

Even if you did 1,1, throw, as an example. I could backdash after the 1,1, or duck, or armor, or duck the 1,1 if it's a high and poke during the recovery frames.

So no, it's not bad game design. You just need to play better footsies or make better reads.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Dem online tactics doe.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Throws will beat crouching attacks during startup. You can only neutral crouch throws, not mash crouch pokes to cover throws as well, if you are at slight negative frames.

Nothing fishy about it, just seems to happen consistently as long as you are in throw range of the opponents. Throws have great hit boxes on them to interrupt people that love to mash things that normally low profile mids after doing something that is safe, but negative on block.
Yeah, dude, as a Quan player, I need this. It's my only way out.