What's new

grabs beating pokes! game design or bug?

as you guys know grabs are high but for some reason in mkx they will grab your pokes. this never happen in mk9 but in mkx d1, d2, d3 and even d4 get grag in mid animation by a regular grab. it maybe that the character move their hurtbox higher as they do a poke and this is why the grab gets them but i have never seen someone getting hit by a high attack as they try to poke.

i was just wondering what others think about this.... could this be a bug or this is a new design for grabs in mk games ?

if this is a new design for grabs then grabs just got much better lol i mean they were already very good in mk9 because of the window to tech them and the 50/50 to do so. and now in mkx the window to tech them is smaller the 50/50 it is still there and now grabs can grab you out of your poke animation as well.

i am not saying this is bad or good just trying to show how the new properties of grabs work in mkx

Last edited:

ando1184

Noob
It's probably a bug, and a pretty shitty one at that since an EX command grab will whiff if you d1,d3, or d4 sometimes. In other fighting games grabs have priority in situations like this but this being an NRS game, I don't think any of this is intentional.

I like it. I don't know how this works really and how ot make use of it consistently. Grabs have different properties on pokes, it somehow becomes a mid temporarily.

Reactions: GAV

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
In MK9 some d3's (Ermac is an example) were winning against regular grabs. That is not the case in MKX. This is known for quite sometime (at least in the Greek scene). Looks like NRS buffed the hitbox and the range ofc, of the throws in MKX. Some characters need that. Others, do not. I actually have mixed feeling about this. Plus the fact that most, if not all, throws in MKX lower the character's hitbox... That i find stupid.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
that's interesting I was wondering if something like that was happening., when trying to end a match quickly at the finish him if I was next to a downed opponent a high or overhead would miss but throws would seem to always work., I wonder if it always hits as long as someone isn't in just neutral crouching position.

Levaranoia

War God
Yeah, I've noticed this. It's probably cuz back throws are like 7 frames I believe and are just faster then some of those pokes for characters and a lot of those things hit mid so they change your hitbox I'm assuming.

as you guys know grabs are high but for some reason in mkx they will grab your pokes. this never happen in mk9 but in mkx d1, d2, d3 and even d4 get grag in mid animation by a regular grab. it maybe that the character move their hurtbox higher as they do a poke and this is why the grab gets them but i have never seen someone getting hit by a high attack as they try to poke.

i was just wondering what others think about this.... could this be a bug or this is a new design for grabs in mk games ?

if this is a new design for grabs then grabs just got much better lol i mean they were already very good in mk9 because of the window to tech them and the 50/50 to do so. and now in mkx the window to tech them is smaller the 50/50 it is still there and now grabs can grab you out of your poke animation as well.
Grabs are weird. I swear I've been grabbed out of a raw hat orbit/spin. It almost feels as though they have a few frames of invincibility

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash

It just seems inconsistent. I've been hit out of my grab animation with uppercuts but see myself grab people out of d4's and etc.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Grabs beating normals is a common feature in a bunch of fighting games.
But they shouldn't in this game. Grabs are supposed to be highs in this game so you should be able to use a crouching move under them. It's just weird because nrs gives moves weird properties that don't make sense with what the game tells us.

EDIT: Apparently this is by design and some people gave explanations that make sense so I don't have a problem with it. Seems all good to me

Last edited:
Most of the world isn't in to martial arts so that's why games pull that ( grabbing your opponent while they're attacking ) b.s in fighting games. Lol i'd love the see anyone attempt to grab a guy by the shoulders while he's throwing out a punch or a kick, lol it would have a completely different outcome then these fighting games portray unless the art is ment to do such things witch only maybe 2 or 3 styles are capable of in this game. It's just a ridiculous flaw in my eyes and cracks me up every time I see it happen. But then again, I guess if a character with no magic or abundance of chi can roll up into a ball and spin in one spot for 3+ sec lol... nothing is impossible

so this happens offline too? yesterday i did a reversal with an 8 frame d3 and got grabbed out of it

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I though everyone knew already that throws in this game are strike invincible, such as some special attacks are also throw invincible.

You can't stuff a throw attempt if the throw was performed first.
You can't grab certain special moves upon its execution.

According to the in-game text crouching opponents are throw invincible. All attacks should truthfully be throw invincible as well unless the throw is an attack counter

this happen a lot people can run to you and do a grab and if you try to poke the grab will get you.

i will upload a video showing some stuff in which grabs will grab low profile d4 at their lowest animation where even some mid attacks will wiff

I though everyone knew already that throws in this game are strike invincible, such as some special attacks are also throw invincible.

You can't stuff a throw attempt if the throw was performed first.
You can't grab certain special moves upon its execution.
yea this is known but it does not explain why grabs will grab your low profile d4

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
this happen a lot people can run to you and do a grab and if you try to poke the grab will get you.

i will upload a video showing some stuff in which grabs will grab low profile d4 at their lowest animation where even some mid attacks will wiff
Throws are strike invincible just like in Street Fighter, if you try to stuff a throw after the animation starts your attack hitbox has no priority over throws, so it will lose if you try to react to a thow with a normal, you have to neutral crouch the throw.

There is also attacks that can't be grabbed, during the animation.

Scorpion - Fllame Aura, Teleport
Kung Lao - Hat Call back
Raiden - Superman

etc etc-

Reactions: GQJ