What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espio

Kokomo
jesus christ he has 4 fucking arms why do his air punches suck so much ass
I mean....the game is basically telling you without screaming it that the character is not one that heavily revolves around jumping and is more about winning on the ground and when you have people on their back. This is the same odd complaint Cage gets where people complain about his air game when you're a character that has a great ground game where they thrive.

Plus his jump kicks are pretty decent range wise and you can play around with command grabs off of them too. I usually also have an easier time avoiding being low profiled when I jump in on people in comparison to Kitana where I feel like people duck my jump in punches and poke me far more often.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
jesus christ he has 4 fucking arms why do his air punches suck so much ass
Not gonna lie dude, his air punches are actually incredibly useful for 1) the post punchwalk game and 2) the corner game. In both situations it's actually kinda easy to react if you're looking for a jump and u1 or u2 to allow you to punish them for jumping. Granted, you usually have to make a decent read, but they serve the exact purpose I think they were designed for.

Agilaz

It has begun
I mean....the game is basically telling you without screaming it that the character is not one that heavily revolves around jumping and is more about winning on the ground and when you have people on their back. This is the same odd complaint Cage gets where people complain about his air game when you're a character that has a great ground game where they thrive.

Plus his jump kicks are pretty decent range wise and you can play around with command grabs off of them too. I usually also have an easier time avoiding being low profiled when I jump in on people in comparison to Kitana where I feel like people duck my jump in punches and poke me far more often.
His kicks are fine, agreed. I made that comment after a particularly bad set of matches against Sonyas, Cassies, Kotals... It's absurd to me that certain characters like Sonya outrange Goro when it comes to jumping punches. Like how does that even make sense? Kotal I can kinda understand, but the others...

Yeah, Goro's jump punches can hit low profiling moves. Can't really complain, really.
Really? Never seen it happen, usually I'll just get low profiled and punished the moment I land.

Agilaz

It has begun
Not gonna lie dude, his air punches are actually incredibly useful for 1) the post punchwalk game and 2) the corner game. In both situations it's actually kinda easy to react if you're looking for a jump and u1 or u2 to allow you to punish them for jumping. Granted, you usually have to make a decent read, but they serve the exact purpose I think they were designed for.
The people I usually play against barely get caught by post-PW jump punches. If anything they look out for them and use them against me, so I wouldn't call them that useful. They're a valid option, but at this point neutral crouching has done more for me than jumping.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
The people I usually play against barely get caught by post-PW jump punches. If anything they look out for them and use them against me, so I wouldn't call them that useful. They're a valid option, but at this point neutral crouching has done more for me than jumping.
Im a dummy, I thought you were talking about u1 when you said air punches. Ignore me haha.

Diagonal j1 can do it, but it's iffy as balls.
Diagonal j2 can beat low profiles too, but its frames just suck so bad I don't see a reason to use it.

Diagonal j1 seems to have a small horizontal hit box. But as long as to jump at the right angles (e.g. If you go for a cross over you can't start from too far away, you have to be almost right beside), it does its job fine

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Goro is actually able to get a forward dash in on the opponent after connecting with a flame breath. Usually whenever I hit a flame, I auto-piloted into dash -> command grab without ever testing if it was actually a thing. But it's actually kind of a thing, so that's cool.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Hey Guys, just wanted to touch on an aspect of the post punchwalk meta that I've only just spent time working on. Recently I've found myself being caught by reversal back throws post blocked pw and I end up burning more meter in case it happens again. Often this will just be a waste of my meter and I'll leave myself in the same situation, guessing (if I'm not paying enough attention and making good reads.)

What I've come up with to help alleviate this issue is to hold down post punchwalk, then quickly block and let go of duck (this is all very quick, if people arent sure what I mean I can post a vid). What this does is ducks the reversal throw or high counterpoke, giving you enough time to let go of block and punish reversal throw or react to their jump over and punish with u1. It doesnt beat low counterpoke attempts or fast reversal specials, but that's not too big a deal. I think this concept should most definitely put the post punchwalk game further into Goro's favour.

If anyone has any thoughts or questions about the idea let me know. :)

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
I agree @Cabjoy Goro players SERIOUSLY need to develop their post block punchwalk meta game. A lot of the ones I play do the same thing: down poke or ex punchwalk, that's it. I would like to see: ex telestomp, neutral jump punch etc to blow up jump outs and cross ups. Despite his meh back dash, it evades low pokes, command grab beats people just turtling in anticipation of punchwalk, just blocking is a good mind game too. I feel like that is the core thing holding back a lot of Goro players. The other things are reliance on telestomp and a linear pressure system. The lack of 1,2,1 and back 1,2,1 is real. I don't use the evasion tactic you use currently so I'll have to try and incorporate it into my game see if I can get it down.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I agree @Cabjoy Goro players SERIOUSLY need to develop their post block punchwalk meta game. A lot of the ones I play do the same thing: down poke or ex punchwalk, that's it. I would like to see: ex telestomp, neutral jump punch etc to blow up jump outs and cross ups. Despite his meh back dash, it evades low pokes, command grab beats people just turtling in anticipation of punchwalk, just blocking is a good mind game too. I feel like that is the core thing holding back a lot of Goro players. The other things are reliance on telestomp and a linear pressure system. The lack of 1,2,1 and back 1,2,1 is real. I don't use the evasion tactic you use currently so I'll have to try and incorporate it into my game see if I can get it down.
Yeah for sure man everyone has a lot of work to do here. We had our locals here this past weekend and I played thoughtlessly and as a result my post PW game was off and in turn I played quite poorly. The reversal throw was the one big issue that prevented me from playing the game I wanted to play. The great thing about being cautious and observing post punchwalk is that you can legitimately react to things like crossover jumps quite easily with u1 to punish for 30ish%, or just cmd grab if they're being too respectful. With the idea I posted above I think it should alleviate both the issue of jumping and mashing reversal throw quite well, and with time will become of our most useful strategies.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
If I understand correctly, it's tap block then duck, right?

'cause if you're ducking while blocking you'll get thrown.

I tried it out myself. Just ducking works fine vs. throw but if you so much as press block at any point you'll get thrown.

Last edited:

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
I'm sure this may have something to do with me lacking the matchup experience- but i'm getting wrecked as TF vs Scorpion and ermac.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
If I understand correctly, it's tap block then duck, right?

'cause if you're ducking while blocking you'll get thrown.
Hold down, let go of down and tap block as you're coming up. You'll avoid the throw if timed right and be able to block other stuff if necessary.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
are any of you guys using 212 in DF? I need to abuse that more, another valuable source of chip and plus frames

Espio

Kokomo
I'm sure this may have something to do with me lacking the matchup experience- but i'm getting wrecked as TF vs Scorpion and ermac.
Scorpion is one of his harder match ups for Tigrar. Ermac is meh, not really too big of a deal imo.
are any of you guys using 212 in DF? I need to abuse that more, another valuable source of chip and plus frames
There's absolutely no real downside to using the string. The variation is basically pure chip, footsies, and damage.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Scorpion is one of his harder match ups for Tigrar. Ermac is meh, not really too big of a deal imo.

There's absolutely no real downside to using the string. The variation is basically pure chip, footsies, and damage.
To add to what Espio has said I'd encourage the use of DF for both of those matchups myself. Any characters that have teleport somewhat limit the effectiveness of your fireballs, but more importantly ex fang spin is great for swatting jumpers out of the sky.

As for using 212, I havent really implemented it tbh. Mostly because if I want fast highs I'll use 11 or I'll stick with b12. I could probably get away with a bit more stuff if I used 212 more but it just feels a bit slow for me at this point.

Agilaz

It has begun
Does anybody have any footage of Goro vs Cassie and vs Kung Lao?

Preferably against GOOD Cassies and Laos so I can actually see what's viable to do against them?

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Does anybody have any footage of Goro vs Cassie and vs Kung Lao?

Preferably against GOOD Cassies and Laos so I can actually see what's viable to do against them?
Man I had a great set against a KL last night but forgot to record it. I play the guy regularly so I'll be able to get some footage soon for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.