What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPR_Nova

Noob
^Kuatan is a counter style when you need it. It's awesome.

Making players jump nets you free %30 combos and stops a lot of ranged pressure and projectile chip.
I definitely see where you are coming from with that. My experience playing against some great players have made that thought a fairy tale from where I'm sitting unfortunately lol. I won't abandon completely but I don't think I want to spend my time unlocking this variation. I'll just leave it up to everyone else and mooch lol. Thinking I might give Johnny a try also with those Fisticuffs. Double chip damage? Yes please.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
is anybody landing b12u2 outside of combos somehow? It feels sluggish and short ranged to me, I can't seem to find a place for it in footsies, because otherwise how do i do good damage?

Somebody please post videos of yourself or something, I feel like I'm a rudderless boat with our favorite shokan, ,unless I'm in a zoning predicament as Tigrar

UPR_Nova

Noob
is anybody landing b12u2 outside of combos somehow? It feels sluggish and short ranged to me, I can't seem to find a place for it in footsies, because otherwise how do i do good damage?

Somebody please post videos of yourself or something, I feel like I'm a rudderless boat with our favorite shokan, ,unless I'm in a zoning predicament as Tigrar
That really doesn't have a place outside of combos or to punish close range. Best starter for a meterless punish but that's about it.

^Yeah, it has butt range, and should for what you get from it.

From what's going on in the streams and what he has from just about any combo or low, he's looking pretty tops. :eek:

Albo

Noob
B12U2 can be easily poked and armour interrupted before the u2, so it should only be used for a clear close punish, but you could always cancel into specials before the u2.

so what are we using all using offensively?
He doesn't have any other launchers leading into juggles without meter, except for 3d3 in the corner which is a pretty good offensive string in general. It's useful as anti wakeup armour, hits overhead/overhead, only -2 on block with a little pushback and can be mixup up with b3~into whatever, d4, d3 after conditioning your opponent to block low.

oh I forgot b2 is a decent sweep range launcher leading into meterless damage. On hit you can get a f3 grab midscreen off it for 24%. 0 on block and leaves you at range for a d4 check.

edit: unrelated but i've noticed the latest patch has change much of goro's frame data by 1 frame worse on block and on hit, maybe recovery and cancel also. eg punchwalk on block was -4 now -5, d4 was -5 now -6, 3d3 was -1 now -2. checked few other characters and seems to be the case with them too.

Last edited:
Goro's command grab now scales better. He easily hits 40% with all variations in corner. Midscreen it's 35% or more.

I'm really becoming a fan now of Kuatan Warrior because of dd4 and bf2. After confirming a combo into punch walk, often I have people tech roll and back dash to ensure they are away from goro. dd4 stops tech rolls and make people want to jump instead, which adds more mixups (stomp, fireball, RC into anti-air). bf2 deals slightly less than punch walk and is a nice ender for screen control or just staying in afterwards. bf2 puts the opponent in a hard knockdown so they have to deal with the next mixup. It also just helps with punishing things that would be extremely hard for goro or not possible at all.

db2 pressure is real in DF variation. If you don't have a 5 frame normal or MB move to counter poke, you're always losing.

Gruff757

The Gruff
wanna see some funny shit? F3xxDragon Breath repeat

it can be interrupted of course but it causes some funny reactions from the unwary

Last edited:
Got 2nd at my local tourney yesterday using Kuatan Goro. Put into loser and lost in the finals to the same Dragonfury Lui Kang. Didn't really have much trouble against other characters but I couldn't keep Kang off of me. When I did get him off of me, he out-zoned me. Gotta get into the lab.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Good posts in this thread. Helped me level up very very quickly with this man.

With that in mind...... what are you guys punishing moves with slight pushback with?

I ran into my muscle memory doing b12 bnb.... and Mileena's damn roll pushes her far enough that the last part whiffs.
There were other instances of this... i just didnt' care to remember.

I think that really is my only problem at this point. F3 is a whiff punish machine.

As to the whole meter reliance. Just about everyone in the game is in this boat. Even the guys who get 40% meterless... they need typically slower moves to pull it off. Goro having good 30% into massive wallcarry is just crazy town.

The other thing...... i know most bnb's end in Shokan Grab.... however, can they also be ended in punchwalk as well? I haven't really tried... as again... 1 day muscle memory.

Albo

Noob

With that in mind...... what are you guys punishing moves with slight pushback with?

I ran into my muscle memory doing b12 bnb.... and Mileena's damn roll pushes her far enough that the last part whiffs.

I think that really is my only problem at this point. F3 is a whiff punish machine.

As to the whole meter reliance. Just about everyone in the game is in this boat. Even the guys who get 40% meterless... they need typically slower moves to pull it off. Goro having good 30% into massive wallcarry is just crazy town.

The other thing...... i know most bnb's end in Shokan Grab.... however, can they also be ended in punchwalk as well? I haven't really tried... as again... 1 day muscle memory.
I've been having the same problem. 121 and 21 have a little more range than b12, are 9f and hit confirmable into punchwalk. F3 and raw punchwalk are good for longer range whiffs punishes like mileena's telekick, scorps take, subs slide etc.

You can end bnbs in punchwalk, but you have to time it right or it'll whiff. I prefer grab since the hitbox is huge, they can be far away from you, but you touch them with a f3 toe and grab will still connect. It also does a little more damage and throws opponents across the screen. But since goro is meter dependant, quite a few of his bnbs use ex punchwalk in them anyway.

UPR_Nova

Noob

Make sure you take those punishes into the lab. For example, against Scorpion's takedown you can hit 21 MUCH earlier than you think to land the punish. Works for blocked rolls from Mileena as well. Can't confirm early input for her telekick though. So in Tigrar, 21 xx EX df4, njp, 21 xx dbf3; 21 xx EX df4, njp, 21 xx bf4; and if you wanna get swagtastic on 'em 21 xx EX df4, njp, 21 xx EX bf4, 2 xx dbf3 (supreme combo, but swag only....waste of meter). Animations unfortunately don't always line up in this game, making visual cues weird. I think it's worse than MK9 visual cues. :(

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Make sure you take those punishes into the lab. For example, against Scorpion's takedown you can hit 21 MUCH earlier than you think to land the punish. Works for blocked rolls from Mileena as well. Can't confirm early input for her telekick though. So in Tigrar, 21 xx EX df4, njp, 21 xx dbf3; 21 xx EX df4, njp, 21 xx bf4; and if you wanna get swagtastic on 'em 21 xx EX df4, njp, 21 xx EX bf4, 2 xx dbf3 (supreme combo, but swag only....waste of meter). Animations unfortunately don't always line up in this game, making visual cues weird. I think it's worse than MK9 visual cues. :(
So basically 2,1 is the punish string for a majority of things... and not b12u2? ........ GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

makes me want to really hurt someone. 30% meterless is what i've been craving ... and most punishes aren't going to allow it.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
So basically 2,1 is the punish string for a majority of things... and not b12u2? ........ GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

makes me want to really hurt someone. 30% meterless is what i've been craving ... and most punishes aren't going to allow it.
Yeah he has the sektor problem.

and I feel like I am the only one who enjoys Kuatan Warrior

UPR_Nova

Noob

Yeah dude just burn that bar because you get it back in probably 10 seconds realistically.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Yeah he has the sektor problem.

and I feel like I am the only one who enjoys Kuatan Warrior
I used to hate it. It's still a situational, matchup based selection for me though. But I can't say much anyway because I'm probably switching characters really soon. Pocket Goro for unsuspecting people.

UPR_Nova

Noob
Speaking of which

does anyone know how quickly you get meter back during his BNB combo's?
The exact Mayo science? No. But, I can say jip, 121 xx bf4 on block is essentially between half and three quarter. Two of those is definitely a bar, so you would have to figure it out from there. That's a great idea btw, never explored that exactly.

On hit obviously it's a totally different story. Would say he doesn't gain well at all on hit because sometimes, I feel meter starved, especially in the second round if I trash them in the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.