What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Can someone tell me about the properties he has on his armor? (Punch walk specifically). I wanted to main Goro because the rumor was he played like dd, I wasn't feeling it all. Does his punch walk go through projectiles? Can he wakeup safe with armor on it?
Yes his MB punchwalk will take a hit from any attack besides an Xray (even walks through Sub Zero's ice clone.) It's also safe on hit when MBed for wake up as long as it hits. From my experience (which is limited obviously) the only way to punish it when MBed is to jump over it and punish or have a multi hitting ranged attack like Jax's machine gun.

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
I was having this problem too so I Googled it. The following worked for me "go to store.playstation.com, and under account name, go to "download list" and under "Mortal Kombat X", is "Goro", just select, "Download to your PS4". After that you'll see him added to downloads on your consile and you'll be good to go.
Thanks a ton! I even spoke to playstation support and they just told me to wait it out until the market updates. But this worked!

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
So if people are finding his normals too slow would that make him a specials oriented character? His specials are fantastically fast (7 frame grab!) and they tend to be super duper safe on block.

In fact with his fireballs and the fact that punchwalk and the grab nearly fullscreen it feels like tigrar might even be possible to zone with.
Wtf? His normals are fucking great lol

UPR_Nova

Noob
Yes his MB punchwalk will take a hit from any attack besides an Xray (even walks through Sub Zero's ice clone.) It's also safe on hit when MBed for wake up as long as it hits. From my experience (which is limited obviously) the only way to punish it when MBed is to jump over it and punish or have a multi hitting ranged attack like Jax's machine gun.
I'm not sure if you mistyped but I just wanted to make sure that all were aware that MB Punchwalk will take two hits from the armor that it has. I have to do further testing, but I have easily seen two hits and it's very possible that it can take more than that. I have consistently punished Kung Lao MB Spin with the MB Punchwalk. Throw something out that is negative or neutral on purpose to take the first hit of the MB Spin, then punish for around 37% one bar from MB Punchwalk. Like I said, don't quote me on the exact number of hits (it could be an active timeframe) just know that it is DEFINITELY more than one hit.

ruff321

Noob
I'm not sure if you mistyped but I just wanted to make sure that all were aware that MB Punchwalk will take two hits from the armor that it has. I have to do further testing, but I have easily seen two hits and it's very possible that it can take more than that. I have consistently punished Kung Lao MB Spin with the MB Punchwalk. Throw something out that is negative or neutral on purpose to take the first hit of the MB Spin, then punish for around 37% one bar from MB Punchwalk. Like I said, don't quote me on the exact number of hits (it could be an active timeframe) just know that it is DEFINITELY more than one hit.
His EN punchwalk absorbs two hits. Go to training mode pick Goro for AI and do EN flameball. EN flameball is 3 hits and when you do EN punchwalk youll see that he absorbs two flameballs.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Awesome, I did not know that. I left out any info on multi hitting physical attacks like Kung Laos spin or Takedas punches because I haven't tested it or come across it yet. The only time I've been stopped is by Jax's machine gun which is 4 hits I believe.

ruff321

Noob
And this thread is despressing as fuck. Goro is an absolute blast to play and it's still day 2 so let's keep this whole "he's unviable" thing to ourselves.

His chest lunge is amazing. If you know your opponent going to jump CL serves as a good AA, up close and from mid screen as well. If youre up close though you have to wait until the moment he starts coming down from his jump otherwise it'll whiff. Also it's such a good move to punish whiffs, especially if you use the EN version.

Will be tuning in and reporting any tech found in the MKX tom brady reo stream.

haketh

Noob
Well tell that to the several people in the thread complaining about it then.
He has a 13 frame overhead, solid low, an advancing special with tons of carry that's only -4, his normals are slow but occupy good space, & solid ass zoning. What more do you want with him?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I'm still bad but I love this guy

He has a shit ton of advancing moves and I think I'm starting to like KW/Tigrar a bunch. Girl's gonna be hard to keep off you when he gets rolling

UPR_Nova

Noob
I'm still bad but I love this guy

He has a shit ton of advancing moves and I think I'm starting to like KW/Tigrar a bunch. Girl's gonna be hard to keep off you when he gets rolling
The carry is no lie. 3/4 screen at least when landing a full combo with this guy and I can't wait till everyone opens up his corner game. Right now, I'm unable to really find the corner strategy that seems to be universal; the strategies that I have implemented only seem to be good for me and really aren't guaranteed. They also are not based around the character as a whole, only the Dragon Fang variation. I think I'm going to try to open up the Dragon Fangs and utilize Tigrar and Kuatan based upon matchups. Right now, I see the Kuatan being nasty against opponents with solid range. That chest charge is so fast, and harder to react to compared to the Punchwalk. Combine the chest charge for whiff punishes to the Punchwalk for bullying your way in, I see that to be very strong. We shall see.

Albo

Noob
21 dragon breath on block is +13, and 21 close ground fireball is +7, so doesn't that give a free shokan grab given it's 7f (and takes 1-2f for opponent to unblock)? From what I tested seems only interrupt able by fast armoured specials.

Espio

Kokomo
I love this character. He has a lot of neutral strings and normals, several of which are ten frame mids that are neutral on block and cancelable into punchwalk for further safe chip.

I've only been using his Tigrar variation, but his versatility with zoning plus up close feels well rounded to me so far. I need to get down a couple combos and have more time before I play online since I've only had him for less than a day, but I'm super excited to learn match ups with him

P.S. Green Goro Is Best Goro.

And this thread is despressing as fuck. Goro is an absolute blast to play and it's still day 2 so let's keep this whole "he's unviable" thing to ourselves.

His chest lunge is amazing. If you know your opponent going to jump CL serves as a good AA, up close and from mid screen as well. If youre up close though you have to wait until the moment he starts coming down from his jump otherwise it'll whiff. Also it's such a good move to punish whiffs, especially if you use the EN version.

Will be tuning in and reporting any tech found in the MKX tom brady reo stream.
He is indeed glorious. I'm not ruling on the viability of any of my characters yet personally, just making notes on them for the most part. I might try Kuatan warrior soon myself, aside from Tigrar fury, it's the only other variation that I'm interested in, dat ground pound and chest bump (not sure of it's properties at the moment).

Is that stream still on? I have not had time to view it.

ruff321

Noob
yeah man. they're also going to do a breakdown of goro later on. right now reo's getting some games in with goro

RYX

BIG PUSHER
what should I follow up with in pop up combos?

right now after the fang spin or with b12u2 I do njp f3 xx ex punchwalk f3 grab. gives me ~35% for a bar

also I'm not kidding, goro has stupidly easy screen cover with run cancels into his millions of advancing moves. I love this character

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
In tigrar his pressure games seems amazing, ending strings with bf2 for a +13 advantage is just unreal. F3xxbf2 and repeat looks very very good, not to mention all the other options...

The only thing he is lacking might be a good anti air...did you guys find any good solution?

right now after the fang spin or with b12u2 I do njp f3 xx ex punchwalk f3 grab. gives me ~35% for a bar

also I'm not kidding, goro has stupidly easy screen cover with run cancels into his millions of advancing moves. I love this character
I don't find njp after b12u2 to be reliable, I think is better to follow up with b2, f3xxwhatever you want. b2 hits everytime, njp sometimes whiffs.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
In tigrar his pressure games seems amazing, ending strings with bf2 for a +13 advantage is just unreal. F3xxbf2 and repeat looks very very good, not to mention all the other options...

The only thing he is lacking might be a good anti air...did you guys find any good solution?

I don't find njp after b12u2 to be reliable, I think is better to follow up with b2, f3xxwhatever you want. b2 hits everytime, njp sometimes whiffs.
I honestly can't get EX punch to hit after the f3 like this. I have a feeling there's a really small run cancel you have to pull off but my head hurts and I'm not going to keep trying lol

UPR_Nova

Noob

Depends on the situation but I have a few combos for you to try. JIP usually adds about 2%.

Midscreen
b12u2, run xx b12u2, 21 xx dbf3 ~ 33% **For max damage; no bar
21 xx EX db2, NJP, (walk forward a bit) 21 xx bf4 ~ 35% **For max corner carry
21 xx EX db2, NJP, (walk forward a bit) 21 xx dbf3 ~ 37% **For max damage; 1 bar
21 xx EX db2, NJP, 21 xx EX bf4, 1 xx dbf3 ~ 41% **For max damage; 2 bar

Corner is really self explanatory for the most part. For example, try doing a NJP then a JK mid combo after a pop up. It gives pretty good damage potential. Also, good swag corner combo would be 21 xx EX db2, NJP, 21 xx EX bf4, d2, throw back into corner. Lands 42% but of course it burns two bars so it may not even be practical. Had to make sure that I said it was swag! It doesn't include the jump kick but these should let your imagination begin to work! Find anything useful to add to these, make sure to post up.

Before I forget you can also cancel into du command after any combo, however, ONLY DO THIS IF YOU KNOW THAT THE OPPONENT WILL NOT TECH ROLL!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress this enough. The jump stomp will get there before the opponent is able to wake up. It is purely gimmick and based upon a read. It could also use some more testing because I only tested it against a couple of characters. It OTG's and of course beats all regular wakeup attacks as long as.....THE OPPONENT DOES NOT TECH ROLL. An example combo would be 21 xx EX db2, NJP, 21 xx EX bf4, 11 xx du. Combo hits for 38% and the jump stomp adds 10%, so 48% total, but hella gimmicky. Also, poke xx bf4 on block into EX bf4...FTW!

Last edited:

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
I honestly can't get EX punch to hit after the f3 like this. I have a feeling there's a really small run cancel you have to pull off but my head hurts and I'm not going to keep trying lol
It sounds a little counter intuitive, but after the njp you need to delay the f3 a little bit longer than your instinct is probably telling you to. After I realised this it's been much more consistent!

RYX

BIG PUSHER
It sounds a little counter intuitive, but after the njp you need to delay the f3 a little bit longer than your instinct is probably telling you to. After I realised this it's been much more consistent!
these delays are killing me but i know it'll all be worth it soon

Goro feels really weak without meter, he's definitely a momentum-heavy character. When I burn through it too fast I feel shafted a lot harder than with some other people, but he's got amazing meter build (safe, too). If I can get the lead though and I stop spamming EX punch walk in the worst situations, then I can bully people right into the corner and keep them down with all that armor

I think I'm gonna settle on Kuatan Warrior. It feels the most natural to me, with Dragon Fangs coming at a close second. I know Tigrar's the most versatile but I'm having a little more trouble clicking with it than the other two.

UPR_Nova

Noob

u1, u2 and d1 are nasty on cross-up attempts. Still have to be careful, but the floaty nature of jumps allows it. Also, standing 1 and d1 for jump-ins. You can standing 1, walk forward into d1 xx dbf3 (for damage); standing 1, walk forward into d1 xx bf4 (for corner carry); d1 xx dbf3; d1 xx bf4. All of those options are pretty good you just have to make sure that the air normal the opponent is throwing out isn't fast or has a funky hitbox. I believe standing 1 is 9 frames and d1 is 5 frames (pretty nasty d1).

Not related to your question but I've been using most of my stamina for invulnerability on cross-up attempts. Seems to work ok for the moment but I'm sure there is a way to counter. Possibly empty jump into a punish...anybody have any thoughts on that?

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
I just remembered Goro has that funny double up punch move, u4 lol. Maybe that is the crossup solution I'm looking for ^^

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
He has a 13 frame overhead, solid low, an advancing special with tons of carry that's only -4, his normals are slow but occupy good space, & solid ass zoning. What more do you want with him?

U2 is a pretty solid anti air, big hit box and you can kombo off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.