What's new

Match-up Discussion Ermac Matchup chart by Metzos

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Kitana's throw game is great I don't know what you're talking about. She can either toss you away or put you in ideal oki position. Her throw is her key mixup tool. Kitana players that aren't throwing all day are crazy.
I m gonna agree with Osu here. Her throw is really good. It enables Kitana to either pressure her opponent or zone him. But i find Ermac's throw much better though. Plus, in my humble opinion ofc, he controls space much better than Kitana when in midscreen. Fullscreen Kitana has a slight advantage. But still i dont see that MU as even.

EDIT: About F21 Foxy is right though. If 1 whiffs Kitana is punished by full combo. Btw did you play vs Krayzie's Ermac at the tournament ? If so were there any of your matches recorded ? I'd like a link if you have any.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
This is definitely in favor of Kitana, and I knew this since NEC.

I actually only chose Ermac because I underestimated 16 Bit. Not his skill, don't get me wrong, but his Kitana playstyle. I watched all of his matches, and nobody forced him to come in, which is what I do to Kitana players with Ermac. Basically I used a sling shot on a bull, because once he was in, I was done.

I should have used Cyrax in Winners. I think I could have reset the grand finals, and then you never know what the last set would look like. I also want to play you at the next major 16Bit. I think Cyrax is 5/5 with Kitana, the entire Grand Finals was me trying to figure out all of the possibilities of the match, which is something I should have done in Winners.

But well played man.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
This is definitely in favor of Kitana, and I knew this since NEC.

I actually only chose Ermac because I underestimated 16 Bit. Not his skill, don't get me wrong, but his Kitana playstyle. I watched all of his matches, and nobody forced him to come in, which is what I do to Kitana players with Ermac. Basically I used a sling shot on a bull, because once he was in, I was done.

I should have used Cyrax in Winners. I think I could have reset the grand finals, and then you never know what the last set would look like. I also want to play you at the next major 16Bit. I think Cyrax is 5/5 with Kitana, the entire Grand Finals was me trying to figure out all of the possibilities of the match, which is something I should have done in Winners.

But well played man.
I m gonna need some footage K.Bone. Do you have any ?

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
There's the first match or two of the grand finals of SCR...and there's tons of CD vs. REO's Ermac on the VSM archive. REO getting shut down consistently.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
The SCR Major was just yesterday man. I don't control the footage, so I cant really give you much right now.

I'm sure the footage will come in any time soon, just keep checking the front page of TYM, all of the matches will come out.

Also, the NEC footage is not up yet for some reason. I don't know whats up with that.

There's the first match or two of the grand finals of SCR...and there's tons of CD vs. REO's Ermac on the VSM archive. REO getting shut down consistently.
REO used Ermac for like a few days... lol

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
You can space out f+2,1 but not easily when it's used correctly, which is to check counter pokes or the attack/throw mixup. Kitana's juicy range is right in her max d+1 range. She's there when she gets in after a blocked tkp and i don't see how Ermac gets his game started dealing with that. Trying to punish a blocked d+1 or space out a f+2,1 is a shitty situation. If we've established that she has a fairly decent path in then what's the case for this being in his favor?

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
This is not in Ermac's favor. Its an even 5-5.

At full screen its even. Whoever gets the projectile advantage will likely keep it. One or the other has to start moving in.

At midscreen Ermac wins. Push is unpunishable at max range forcing her to block. He can use this to either keep zoning or move in for offense.

At sweep range Kitana wins. d1 owns all. Only thing Ermac can do to stop it is push which will be punishable at that distance or jump or which is also risky.

And in your face range its even. Neither one have that good of tools to get eachother out.

The d1 being punishable on block with lift is lunacy. Thats almost impossible to do in practice mode, much less in a live match...even less in tourney with nerves.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
This is not in Ermac's favor. Its an even 5-5.

At full screen its even. Whoever gets the projectile advantage will likely keep it. One or the other has to start moving in.

At midscreen Ermac wins. Push is unpunishable at max range forcing her to block. He can use this to either keep zoning or move in for offense.

At sweep range Kitana wins. d1 owns all. Only thing Ermac can do to stop it is push which will be punishable at that distance or jump or which is also risky.

And in your face range its even. Neither one have that good of tools to get eachother out.

The d1 being punishable on block with lift is lunacy. Thats almost impossible to do in practice mode, much less in a live match...even less in tourney with nerves.
About d1. Yeah i know. I just mentioned it cause its a fact though. Its just that every Kitana player i ve faced, and trust me there were alot doing what Osu does, didnt give me much trouble (no dissrespect Osu you are a great player). I ve been maining Ermac since day one and have tested many things with him against almost the entire roster. About sweep range d1 can be beaten by IAB, a move i rarely see any Ermac player use. Also this move is a great counter for air to air situations which is one of Kitana's main gamestyles. Up close 12 and 31 are just fine and no you dont need a jump in to start pressuring with these strings.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Hey guys i would really appreciate if someone who plays Kenshi in competitive lvl could post the MU vs Ermac with some info as to why the MU is in Ermac's favor or in Kenshi's favor. Thnx in advance :).

zaf

professor
I have some info on the ermac vs shang tsung mu. It's really not that bad anymore the way I play the MU.
All my testing has been done with Wound Cowboy. A reputable shang player.
I am not entirely sure if shang is best when played further away from you, but this is how Wound plays. At least against ermac and at least against me.
His up close game can be kinda retarded I find, but in this match this rarely happens to me anymore.

I basically start the match just like shang. I back off and get away fast. What my main goal here to do is to start a projectile war. I get him trading projectiles with me. Whether we both get hit or not I keep shooting fireballs. I want shang to get in the habit of shooting fireball after fireball as well. Most shangs wont sit there and do nothing because of the advantage granted from his projectiles.

What the fireball war does is this. It stops shang from being able to combo into more fireballs even if you are hit by one of his.
After his ground skull hits you on block, shoot a fireball.
After an upskull hits you on block, either dash away or forward or block. This projectile grants more advantage then a ground skull so you cant successfully get another fireball out after a upskull without being hit. Where as with a ground skull you can get a fireball out after blocking this, even if you get hit by it he wont be able to combo because of your fireball. This really lame strategy I have been using really stops him from getting any combos from fireballs. There is a lot of meter making on both sides if you are forcing shang to play this game. I actually use ex fireballs to gain life leads, so try this out as well.

Now I have played another shang ( i forgot his name sorry), but he has a "gimmick" that Wound cowboy also uses. When Shang thinks you are going to jump after blocking any skull or they are just testing you, they will do a ex skull. So its just skull, ex-skull. Its a great tactic and leads into combos.
You can keep trading fireballs if you think this is going to happen. Its just going to waste Shangs meter. However you can not trade a fireball if he did upskull first, then ex-skull. If you do not jump in the match up you do not have to worry about this and you should not be needing to jump anyways. Unless its for a jip.

Now, when you get shang pumping out a lot of skulls, you need to take a risk. But with the proper usage of your own fireballs this barely becomes a risk.
You need to have shang use enough skulls and put him in enough situations where even if he hits you he is stopped from comboing, by your own fireballs. When the match turns into literally just a fireball war, start teleporting. All the fireballs usage is putting him in the habit of shooting more skulls. Im not saying to teleport like a mad man or often, just once or twice a match to get a mix up attempt to gain the life lead. Don't even think about the teleport, you will make yourself obvious. Use it when you know 100% he is shooting something at you. This teleporting aspect of the MU might not sound like it is legit enough to really help win the match, but you just need to play this MU. The last time I played Wound Cowboy, whenever I needed to stop the fireballs and teleport on him to get some work in, it was done. I really made him get in the habit of using fireballs.

And this is it... this lame ass strategy is what I have been using to win.
There is still more in this MU that I would like to learn. Maybe I can speak with Wound and ask him to come in this thread.
But my biggest problem with shang is getting locked in the corner, and getting locked in a retarded blockstring.
The retarded blockstring is pretty much what his corner game is, except anywhere. He hits you with a blockstring and ends it in a ground skull, leaving him with advantage and enough time to pressure with another string and repeat. I've tried to poke out, sometimes works, not consistent. Especially if he changes the blockstring he uses. Cant tks/tkp, get hit out of this. Trying to jump out or over him is the best bet so far but then again if he changes the blockstring you are getting hit. Let alone how bad it is to always jump as a solution to something, you leave yourself open to a bad punishment, such as ex skull.

If anyone knows what can be done about his blockstrings into ground skull, or even his corner game at that I would greatly appreciate some of the info. I just fucking wish ermac had at least one super armor move. Don't even make it tks, i dont care about a combo. I want people the fuck off me, tkp would be his best for super armor in terms of balanace imo.

This fireball/teleporting tactic works well against shang since he has no teleport of his own and is forced to jump/dash his way in if he does not like the game you are playing. This isn't a match up like noobs where his projectile is faster and stops you from playing this sort of lame game. Also noob has a teleport to counter you back. Does anyone have a good tactic/strat against noob? Been having trouble lately and I would like to break that MU down like I have to this one.

zaf

professor
I'd also like to point out one more thing.
I do not see how people do not understand, that by just standing outside of a certain range against a certain character is effective.
A small dash back and forward here and there to keep the proper spacing, but for the most part not advancing.
I've been complimented on more then one occasion with being able to stand just at max jump range waiting, and punishing whatever my opponent does in different ways. Even if it doesn't seem like a punish at first, you shortly end up in a bad situation.

I try and play him like a magnet, moving in the opposite direction at all times to keep a certain distance.
Mike ross style from evo 2k10

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Just had the painful experience to realize that Mileena v Ermac is [very difficult]

Perhaps it was just the lag, but i dont care how good that player was.
The only thing i lost to was d4, and there was literally nothing i could to about it.
Hell, i couldnt even punish normal teleports with TKS. FMFL -.-

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Just had the painful experience to realize that Mileena v Ermac is BROKEN AS SHIT.

Perhaps it was just the lag, but i dont care how good that player was.
The only thing i lost to was d4, and there was literally nothing i could to about it.
Hell, i couldnt even punish normal teleports with TKS. FMFL -.-
Have you tried using Air-blasts ? Its really effective against her d4.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
About the MU vs NS you could use the reset for a combo ender to hold him near and from there mix it up you since you cant outzone him at all when he goes full screen. Generally the idea against Noob is to fight him at midscreen distance.

zaf

professor
Its just online trust me. Mileena isnt bad at all offline. D4 is just as punishable as her u4 or ex tele.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
As I have said before, I just think the Ermac-Shang matchup is bad for Mac. zaf, trading fireballs is a dangerous game for you. If I get an Ex skull off before your fireball, I will get hit by it but I will also recover in time to combo and get a wakeup situation. Teleporting is very risky. You would have to know that I am going to fireball ahead of time because Shang has deceptively fast recovery on his skulls. Meter is not that big of a deal because Shang can build crazy amounts of it through his blockstrings and constant groundskulls. I feel more confident in this matchup than I do with any of Shang's favorable matchups. If anyone wants to try and prove me wrong, they can be my guest.

Enenra

Go to hell.
5-5 vs Baraka
5.5-4.5 vs Cyber Sub-Zero
5-5 vs Cyrax
4-6 vs Freddy Krueger (?)
6-4 vs Jade
5.5-4.5 vs Jax
6-4 vs Johnny Cage
3-7 vs Kabal (?)
5.5-4.5 vs Kano
5-5 vs Kenshi (?)
6-4 vs Kitana
5-5 vs Kung Lao
5-5 vs Liu Kang
6-4 vs Mileena
4.5-5.5 vs Nightwolf
4-6 vs Noob Saibot
7-3 vs Quan Chi
4-6 vs Raiden
5.5-4.5 vs Rain
4.5-5.5 vs Reptile
5-5 vs Scorpion
5-5 vs Sektor
6-4 vs Shang Tsung
6-4 vs Sheeva
6-4 vs Sindel
6-4 vs Skarlet
5-5 vs Smoke
5.5-4.5 vs Sonya Blade (?)
6-4 vs Stryker
5.5-4.5 vs Sub-Zero

Tell me what you guys think. Btw expect this post to be edited ALOT. Still dont have enough data on the DLC characters so i would appreciate some help with these MU's :). If you dissagree with any MU's feel free to let me know.
Now THATS a match up chart I like! New main... Found.