What's new

General/Other - Ermac Ermac General Discussion Thread

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Although not sure if anyone else is thinking so but is Spectral Ermac's corner game really good or is it just a gimmick no one is stopping me from utiliIng. Using the b12 or f21 or f4 or 22 really any starterxxlevitate 2,3,d3 / d3 / 3,4,d3 / 3,4,db2 / 2, d3 / 2,3,4,exdb2 into ender/

It has good overhead low mix up potential. But that low stomp leaves you susceptible to armored attacks. It's an easy hit confirm from levitating attacks. Instilling fear in opponents with levitating 2 wait 3,4. Or 2,3,4 and then 2,3,4, teleport combos to close out the round have been pretty fruitful as well.

Posted this a few days ago.

Not sure if it's something you've been doing. However corpse hopping with bf2 has been really cool too.
Put AI on reversal and you can only do fly~1,2 on block. 2,3 and 3,4 are not true blockstrings so on block if you do any of the 1,2,3,4 series except for 1,2 which is hard to connect, you can get armoured out for full combo by a lot of characters.
Fly 2,3,4 has 2 gaps in it on block.

I would call gimmick on this because its has gaps everywhere. Anything into levitate has a gap, the air normals into ground pound have a gap and the chain combo has gaps as well. Plus, the ground pound is only +2 on hit so the options are limited after.
As for staggering, Flying 2, 3 and 4 are very negative on block so might not be the best idea.

zaf

professor
Forward dash, nj. I can make a video on all wakeups if you want.
Sure go for it dude.

There is also this -

Afte you do B1D2, you can dash over the person and input a reverse instant air soul blast ( ex version) If timed right and they normal get up, it will hit them on the opposite side

Sure go for it dude.

There is also this -

Afte you do B1D2, you can dash over the person and input a reverse instant air soul blast ( ex version) If timed right and they normal get up, it will hit them on the opposite side
I'll record it and edit it today. Video up by late today or tomorrow. All wakeups

fobley

Noob
Although not sure if anyone else is thinking so but is Spectral Ermac's corner game really good or is it just a gimmick no one is stopping me from utiliIng. Using the b12 or f21 or f4 or 22 really any starterxxlevitate 2,3,d3 / d3 / 3,4,d3 / 3,4,db2 / 2, d3 / 2,3,4,exdb2 into ender/

It has good overhead low mix up potential. But that low stomp leaves you susceptible to armored attacks. It's an easy hit confirm from levitating attacks. Instilling fear in opponents with levitating 2 wait 3,4. Or 2,3,4 and then 2,3,4, teleport combos to close out the round have been pretty fruitful as well.
eh, just gimmicky. Came across your spectral Ermac twice in ranked just a couple of nights back. First time you used it in the corner took me aback, observed it a couple more times, and then afterwards it didn't bother me anymore. I definitely saw the mind game aspect of it though, cuz I remember you doing empty levitates from time to time and then trying the ground pound on reaction.

fobley

Noob
I just wanna add, off-topic:

I have been to a lot of the character sub forums in TYM, as I'm sure all of us have, and I just have to say that we are (imo of course) the most civilized and eloquent thread in here. It is honestly such a joy to just come in here a couple of times a day and just pick up from the last discussion without having to scrub through negativity and "shitposts." This thread here is definitely a refuge for the weary lol.

eh, just gimmicky. Came across your spectral Ermac twice in ranked just a couple of nights back. First time you used it in the corner took me aback, observed it a couple more times, and then afterwards it didn't bother me anymore. I definitely saw the mind game aspect of it though, cuz I remember you doing empty levitates from time to time and then trying the ground pound on reaction.
Yeah I figured. According to others there's a couple gaps in levitation strings. So one could easily armor punish me for full combo. So there's issues. But still can be relatively useful for opponents with no meter.

I have been to a lot of the character sub forums in TYM, as I'm sure all of us have, and I just have to say that we are (imo of course) the most civilized and eloquent thread in here. It is honestly such a joy to just come in here a couple of times a day and just pick up from the last discussion without having to scrub through negativity and "shitposts." This thread here is definitely a refuge for the weary lol.
DONT' JYNX IT MAN

zaf

professor

I keep this place in check

Noob
My Review of Mystic and Spectral Since the Patch, Read Only if your Interested (Note: this review is subjected to my personal opinion as a character designer and as a MK player)

Spectral:

So from what i gather Spectral seems to be the topic of soem discussion regarding if it is really, good or not so much and what you should be doing with him...
Well i have been playing it for a while against some of the best i could find, and honestly what ended up happening is exacly what i predicted and thats exacly what im going to review here.
Whilst, MOS can make the opponent respect you from a ranged standpoint, Spectral cant... The soul ball will make opponents think twice before doing anything to reckless, the same cant be said for Spectral. Its main problem is that for Spectral/Ascension footsies to work you need to be "grounded", but the character is designed to be in the air 90% of the time so you can take advantage of the high mobility he has while floating, This was what he was designed for...

You can see where the thematic contradicts the necessity of Ermacs gameplay?! Ermac is by no means a character that can give himself the luxury of being full Screen for very long, But Spectrals Design rewards Exacly that.. Being full screen and Pounding/evading your opponent with Ascension as much as possible because he is so fast in the air.

Now lets say you contradict its design purpose which obviously we must in order to have success with this variation: You are now taking the offensive, selecting your moments carefully.. With the added "bonus" of Ascensions TC´s you have a hand full of overheads, and you are able to "mixup" your opponent by interropting the string at any point for a groundpound. Cool right... Wel,l when you really look at it, no, Not that cool honestly. Why you ask?

well its quite simple, if you look closely at Ermacs gameplay he has plenty of Mix up game already thats way more effective then Ascending just to do a couple messy overheads into a low pound that doesnt even let you combo afterwards... So what do you gain from actually doing any of the Spectral specific Stuff? well you gain Cool kid points, and thats probably the only thing really... The name of the game is, keep it simple, the fact that you have to do all this extra inputs just to get couple poor overheads doesnt reward you as a player for having skill or reward you in the match because there are way easier mix ups Ermac already has in his standard kit...

What i think Spectral really needed: Well someone gave the idea that EX groundpound should be a launcher (apologies i cant remember your name, so sorry bro) While this goes against Spectrals base design, it is in fact a great idea... Because now going into Ascension Tc´s can be rewarded with a combo instead of just some shitty pressure and messy/poor dmg combos... Another thing that could be relevant for this variation and Mystic but ill get to that in a second, is for him to have a Fireball, This is a necessity for Spectral because he needs to have a tool that will make the opponent think twice before pressing that run Button...

Mystic:

Now Mystic the variation everyone wants to Love but just falls short of being what it needs to be... Well This i will keep Short because its honestly quite simple, Mystic Falls short of being great because they are to afraid of providing Zonners in this game with true Zonning power, because of the big lash "Casuals" feed NRS with this type of gameplay... in 2 simple Buffs Mystic could be better or just as good as MOS.

Mystic doesnt need such gimmicks as "gain 5% life when you EX Force Choke... WTF? gain 5% life? what are we, predators?!? In this patch they had the brilliant idea that the solution was that Choke simply was not doing enouth dmg to be rewarding enouth to use, due to is poor Frames, so they upped Chokes dmg... so ill be forced to repeat myself with a good WHAT??? WTF??

Choke did not need its damage increased... it needed better frames... So before i get lashed on for saying any particular number on its Block or recovery data, i simply wont, but ill say this instead... With a very minor decrease in frames and without new damage from this patch this character could be what it needs to be. By simply having a fireball to compliment the fact that Choke tosses the character almost full screen, Ermac could do exacly what this variation was designed to do, Reward the player with good reads on Choke and punishing the opponent for being to aggressive or impulsive by having a fireball to slow his progress down...

This is What i think of the new changes and the variations the patch affected, hope you guys enjoy and if you agree of disagree about my opinion feel free to Reply to this coment and everyone can talk about it. Cheers everyone

zaf

professor
@14K Pretty much how I feel. There are just too many gaps in the ascension pressure, good players wont let you get away with it. The top tier characters always have meter to hit out. Over time every one will know the gaps and just hit you out.

Mystic buffs is w/e... Ex push should of been like that from the start..

Reactions: 14K
My Review of Mystic and Spectral Since the Patch, Read Only if your Interested (Note: this review is subjected to my personal opinion as a character designer and as a MK player)

Spectral:

So from what i gather Spectral seems to be the topic of soem discussion regarding if it is really, good or not so much and what you should be doing with him...
Well i have been playing it for a while against some of the best i could find, and honestly what ended up happening is exacly what i predicted and thats exacly what im going to review here.
Whilst, MOS can make the opponent respect you from a ranged standpoint, Spectral cant... The soul ball will make opponents think twice before doing anything to reckless, the same cant be said for Spectral. Its main problem is that for Spectral/Ascension footsies to work you need to be "grounded", but the character is designed to be in the air 90% of the time so you can take advantage of the high mobility he has while floating, This was what he was designed for...

You can see where the thematic contradicts the necessity of Ermacs gameplay?! Ermac is by no means a character that can give himself the luxury of being full Screen for very long, But Spectrals Design rewards Exacly that.. Being full screen and Pounding/evading your opponent with Ascension as much as possible because he is so fast in the air.

Now lets say you contradict its design purpose which obviously we must in order to have success with this variation: You are now taking the offensive, selecting your moments carefully.. With the added "bonus" of Ascensions TC´s you have a hand full of overheads, and you are able to "mixup" your opponent by interropting the string at any point for a groundpound. Cool right... Wel,l when you really look at it, no, Not that cool honestly. Why you ask?

well its quite simple, if you look closely at Ermacs gameplay he has plenty of Mix up game already thats way more effective then Ascending just to do a couple messy overheads into a low pound that doesnt even let you combo afterwards... So what do you gain from actually doing any of the Spectral specific Stuff? well you gain Cool kid points, and thats probably the only thing really... The name of the game is, keep it simple, the fact that you have to do all this extra inputs just to get couple poor overheads doesnt reward you as a player for having skill or reward you in the match because there are way easier mix ups Ermac already has in his standard kit...

What i think Spectral really needed: Well someone gave the idea that EX groundpound should be a launcher (apologies i cant remember your name, so sorry bro) While this goes against Spectrals base design, it is in fact a great idea... Because now going into Ascension Tc´s can be rewarded with a combo instead of just some shitty pressure and messy/poor dmg combos... Another thing that could be relevant for this variation and Mystic but ill get to that in a second, is for him to have a Fireball, This is a necessity for Spectral because he needs to have a tool that will make the opponent think twice before pressing that run Button...

Mystic:

Now Mystic the variation everyone wants to Love but just falls short of being what it needs to be... Well This i will keep Short because its honestly quite simple, Mystic Falls short of being great because they are to afraid of providing Zonners in this game with true Zonning power, because of the big lash "Casuals" feed NRS with this type of gameplay... in 2 simple Buffs Mystic could be better or just as good as MOS.

Mystic doesnt need such gimmicks as "gain 5% life when you EX Force Choke... WTF? gain 5% life? what are we, predators?!? In this patch they had the brilliant idea that the solution was that Choke simply was not doing enouth dmg to be rewarding enouth to use, due to is poor Frames, so they upped Chokes dmg... so ill be forced to repeat myself with a good WHAT??? WTF??

Choke did not need its damage increased... it needed better frames... So before i get lashed on for saying any particular number on its Block or recovery data, i simply wont, but ill say this instead... With a very minor decrease in frames and without new damage from this patch this character could be what it needs to be. By simply having a fireball to compliment the fact that Choke tosses the character almost full screen, Ermac could do exacly what this variation was designed to do, Reward the player with good reads on Choke and punishing the opponent for being to aggressive or impulsive by having a fireball to slow his progress down...

This is What i think of the new changes and the variations the patch affected, hope you guys enjoy and if you agree of disagree about my opinion feel free to Reply to this coment and everyone can talk about it. Cheers everyone
Words straight out of my mouth.
This was brewing in me for some time and i need to let it out my fellow souls...
I went through some serious character crisis with my beloved Ermac :winkwink:
As much as i love him, always did and always will, i can no longer play with him even in online.
I like to keep my mkx mindset of characters divided to keep it simple: Ermac MoS in mkx is an antizoner and vortex character, Ermac Mystic is Zoner, Ermac Spektral is ... i dont know what he is w/e; Raiden is pure 100% vortex character; Quan Summoner is a vortex/zoner, Quan Warlock is a zoner/pressure, Cage is 100% pressure, Kenshi is Zoner/Antizoner and so on and so forth.
Now, im not talking about who is how good with his type of gameplay. That is a different discussion. Now, i love zoning. I love the thrill of ranged battle, i love how my opponent struggles to come at me, and when he finally does, I love sending him fullscreen with amazingly timed throw... MK9 Ermac... <3
Mystic in theory should be a zoning character, but he is, lets for civil purposes just say "unviable", and outclassed by MoS. And MoS in itself is not a zoner, in fact, i consider him quite opposite of a zoner. If I were to look up definition of an antizoner it would probably say something like: all ranged trades are in his favor...
Ok, so by gameplay limitation and from pure validity perspective im stuck with MoS. Well, alright, since i love this character so much i could try to change my play-style to fit with the gameplay of master of souls... And this is where I hit the wall. I'm not saying i don't have skill to play any different type of character, I do, and let's consider this just a fact... It's just I prefer zoning, and that is all. But somehow pressure oriented Ermac of MKX does not suit my playstyle.
The b2 unblockable and air soul burst in mk9 were one of the most amazing tools in that game (Ok, maybe this is little fanboy in me speaking) And when I compare MK9 Ermac and his tools to MK10 Ermac and his, it is apparent to me that MK10 Ermac doesn't have same qualities as his MK9 counterpart. For example MK9 Air burst was a force of power, it had an impact both physical and kinetic. It had a sound of blast! And from gameplay perspective it had amazing hitbox, recovery, plus frames on block and pushback. Now go and compare it to MK10 air soul burst... it's like comparing Dezert eagle to Makarov... It has neither feel nor impact. And in online his instant bursts are pretty hard to do and borderline useless. You have to time it as close to ground as possible. And those + frames you gain are lost in online... so yeah... moving on.
It just im sad that i was hoping for buffs to Mystic so i can finally try out his zoning variation. But apparently NRS, and also us, ermac community, considers Ermac pretty balanced and viable. MoS maybe. But Mystic needed more that 5% damage increase or whatever they gave him... LOL.
And spektral... well, yeah, im not going into that territory of abyss.
And to be frankly my dear fellow souls, it is mostly our fault. It is both privilege and burden at the same time to be a part of such civilized community as ours. We are literally the most civilized community in all forums combined on TYM. But you gotta remember man, the upplay gotta stop at some point... How long do we need to keep quite? How long it will take for us, not a single person, but all of us, to accept that all 3 variations combined objectively, we're sitting bottom 10, people. Wake up already, or Ermac is gonna be new Jade of MKX.
5 years of TYM showed me that those who cry the loudest, get what they ask. This is probably the only language NRS/paulo understands. And this is were we hit the wall. We're so civilized, that we never cry and never complain. It is nice. I agree... But all this combined made me turn to Raiden, and the fact that only 1 week of playing with him wields better results than yolo unsafe god is already saying in itself everything...
And to add a salt to the wound, latest patch completely killed execution for me. I am not sure what they changed or how they changed or what the hell they did. But my execution fell to the level of a scrub. I'm on a pc and haven't had the privilege to see if this is fixed with latest hotfixes yet...(shortcuts are on)

Last edited:

Noob
@BoromiRofGeo Well its complicated, on one hand, one would expect NRS to understand their concepts regardless of public discord with what they seem is fit for a character/variation or not... So when the aspect of "crying" for something begins to sound viable, well there is something wrong with this picture..

While im not one judge to Paulo/NRS as a professional myself, as that is complitely disrespectfull to our profession and skill, i am however going to as a player of a game i love... So when i hear him say that with this patch the game is exacly where they want it to be, i cannot fathom what the hell they are thinking in respects to Mystic and Spectral... is there something i am missing both as a player and a professional??? I think not, cause its clear this changes did nothing for the variations mentioned... Now my review is on the basis that as a effecient player that has been playing fighting games for as long as i can remember this patch does nothing to improve the variations because said variations are just not working as their archtypes need them to, its this simple...

@BoromiRofGeo Well its complicated, on one hand, one would expect NRS to understand their concepts regardless of public discord with what they seem is fit for a character/variation or not... So when the aspect of "crying" for something begins to sound viable, well there is something wrong with this picture..

While im not one judge Paulo/NRS as a professional myself, as that is complitely disrespectfull to our profession and skill, i am however going to as a player of a game i love... So when i hear him say that with this patch the game is exacly where they want it to be, i cannot fathom what the hell they are thinking in respects to Mystic and Spectral... is there something i am missing both as a player and a professional??? I think not, cause its clear this changes did nothing for the variations mentioned... Now my review is on the basis that as a effecient player that has been playing fighting games for as long as i can remember this patch does nothing to improve the variations because said variations are just not working as their archtypes need them to, its this simple...
well maybe it is time to let them know that we're dissatisfied? Honestly, acknowledging a problem is already a big start. They need to put their stuff together man... fix Macro already.

Afumba

Noob

Spectral:

Mystic:

I fully agree with this.

On ex TKP... you totally forgot that you drain 33% of a bar too... and it adds up! If you have 3 bars and use it three times you drain a whole bar AND get 15% health back. Awesome right? /sarcasm off :)

Reactions: 14K
well maybe it is time to let them know that we're dissatisfied? Honestly, acknowledging a problem is already a big start. They need to put their stuff together man... fix Macro already.
I think NRS is scared of the casuals not being able to deal with zoners. The Kenshi community is one of the most vocal on tym and the update showed them no love just like Ermac. Ultimately its the design team that makes decisions, and they definitely don't want Mystic and Spectral to be viable.

What frustrates me is that it was so easy to make many of us happy, just give us MK9 mac: give mystic a fireball and less negative frames on push. Even if MoS was still better, at least we would have an option to play a different style.

Afumba

Noob
Words straight out of my mouth.
This was brewing in me for some time and i need to let it out my fellow souls...
I went through some serious character crisis with my beloved Ermac :winkwink:
As much as i love him, always did and always will, i can no longer play with him even in online.
I like to keep my mkx mindset of characters divided to keep it simple: Ermac MoS in mkx is an antizoner and vortex character, Ermac Mystic is Zoner, Ermac Spektral is ... i dont know what he is w/e; Raiden is pure 100% vortex character; Quan Summoner is a vortex/zoner, Quan Warlock is a zoner/pressure, Cage is 100% pressure, Kenshi is Zoner/Antizoner and so on and so forth.
Now, im not talking about who is how good with his type of gameplay. That is a different discussion. Now, i love zoning. I love the thrill of ranged battle, i love how my opponent struggles to come at me, and when he finally does, I love sending him fullscreen with amazingly timed throw... MK9 Ermac... <3
Mystic in theory should be a zoning character, but he is, lets for civil purposes just say "unviable", and outclassed by MoS. And MoS in itself is not a zoner, in fact, i consider him quite opposite of a zoner. If I were to look up definition of an antizoner it would probably say something like: all ranged trades are in his favor...
Ok, so by gameplay limitation and from pure validity perspective im stuck with MoS. Well, alright, since i love this character so much i could try to change my play-style to fit with the gameplay of master of souls... And this is where I hit the wall. I'm not saying i don't have skill to play any different type of character, I do, and let's consider this just a fact... It's just I prefer zoning, and that is all. But somehow pressure oriented Ermac of MKX does not suit my playstyle.
The b2 unblockable and air soul burst in mk9 were one of the most amazing tools in that game (Ok, maybe this is little fanboy in me speaking) And when I compare MK9 Ermac and his tools to MK10 Ermac and his, it is apparent to me that MK10 Ermac doesn't have same qualities as his MK9 counterpart. For example MK9 Air burst was a force of power, it had an impact both physical and kinetic. It had a sound of blast! And from gameplay perspective it had amazing hitbox, recovery, plus frames on block and pushback. Now go and compare it to MK10 air soul burst... it's like comparing Dezert eagle to Makarov... It has neither feel nor impact. And in online his instant bursts are pretty hard to do and borderline useless. You have to time it as close to ground as possible. And those + frames you gain are lost in online... so yeah... moving on.
It just im sad that i was hoping for buffs to Mystic so i can finally try out his zoning variation. But apparently NRS, and also us, ermac community, considers Ermac pretty balanced and viable. MoS maybe. But Mystic needed more that 5% damage increase or whatever they gave him... LOL.
And spektral... well, yeah, im not going into that territory of abyss.
And to be frankly my dear fellow souls, it is mostly our fault. It is both privilege and burden at the same time to be a part of such civilized community as ours. We are literally the most civilized community in all forums combined on TYM. But you gotta remember man, the upplay gotta stop at some point... How long do we need to keep quite? How long it will take for us, not a single person, but all of us, to accept that all 3 variations combined objectively, we're sitting bottom 10, people. Wake up already, or Ermac is gonna be new Jade of MKX.
5 years of TYM showed me that those who cry the loudest, get what they ask. This is probably the only language NRS/paulo understands. And this is were we hit the wall. We're so civilized, that we never cry and never complain. It is nice. I agree... But all this combined made me turn to Raiden, and the fact that only 1 week of playing with him wields better results than yolo unsafe god is already saying in itself everything...
And to add a salt to the wound, latest patch completely killed execution for me. I am not sure what they changed or how they changed or what the hell they did. But my execution fell to the level of a scrub. I'm on a pc and haven't had the privilege to see if this is fixed with latest hotfixes yet...(shortcuts are on)
As you i prefer zoning and all sort of defensive play over offensive ones...
Problem is as @14K also stated in his Spectral/MYstic feedback above... Mystic wont get any love from NRS cuz they dont give a shit about strong zoning out of fear from all the whining it might bring along. Too many ppls just like MK to be extremly fast paced with easy ins on the opponent and dont want to be bothered with something else. I mean how are we to ask that they think for a second before mindlessly pressing that run button? :) And its not just casuals... lots of ppls outside casuals hate on zoning and brand it as cheap and skilless etcetc not realising going ham on somebody is at least as cheap and skilless.

Just think awhile back... remember all that Jacqui rage that went on for months... just cuz ppls were to dumb to play the game properly...
Anyways i feel you but after half a year and all those patches/fixes i dont think something in this regard will change.

Further ppls here are not up-playing Ermac as far as i know. At the start of the game there was talk of top 10 and stuff but thats over since long.
Also Ermac, talking about MoS ofc, is balanced... well he would we if this was a different game. Problem is Ermac (MoS) is a good character in a game with tons of totally over the top characters. Going by best variations Ermac most likely wouldnt make my top 15... If we put variations on their own MoS is even several places farther down the ladder.

So at the end for me its not an issue with realizing where Ermac stands but that i somewhat made my peace with it.
Sure i still get mad and occasionally rage/rant about here... but thats my nature... cant help it.
Going into every forum and crying for Ermac buffs isnt going to change anything. Also i prefer that we just stay the chilled bunch that we are & leave the overboard crying to others.

And hey... maybe NRS just doesnt like Kinetics... after all Kenshi got screwed as well^^ (or even more - just to be safe from any Kenshi attackers :D)

Afumba

Noob

While im not one judge to Paulo/NRS as a professional myself, as that is complitely disrespectfull to our profession and skill, i am however going to as a player of a game i love... So when i hear him say that with this patch the game is exacly where they want it to be, i cannot fathom what the hell they are thinking in respects to Mystic and Spectral... is there something i am missing both as a player and a professional??? I think not, cause its clear this changes did nothing for the variations mentioned... Now my review is on the basis that as a effecient player that has been playing fighting games for as long as i can remember this patch does nothing to improve the variations because said variations are just not working as their archtypes need them to, its this simple...
They just made the changes to throw a bone... make it seem like they checked everything and came up with the best solution at that point.
Its clear that for the patch they didnt give the same level of attention to all characters... leave alone variations... even though they´d like us to believe that.

Not even talking about Ermac here... several variations got benched and lots of changes dont make any sense.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
I think the only way to improve (not fix, don't get me started) Mystic and Spectral is to give out level 1 soul balls to both variations. Really not hard, just change the inputs of soul charge/push.

Before anyone shits bricks level 1 balls do 8% damage, are high projectiles and have no stun/combo ability.

The video is 20 minutes long, lolol sorry guys. I'll have a description text on gym explaining everything and you can watch the video to see it. Its a video against all wakeups that have armor.