What's new

General/Other - Ermac Ermac General Discussion Thread

Embestone

Stoen
So I watched the ESL match with BreadTruck and Emperor Rebelo and at some point the F34 completely whiffed the overhead hits costing Bread a round.
Apparently sometimes F34 misses the overhead hits on low blocking subzero at point blank range, even in midscreen. I tested 5 or 6 other characters randomly and only sub had this problem.
Here's a video:
Yes, and its not just ermac's f34 either. Relentless Jason's most utilized string (I forget which one) also whiffs on a low blocking sub-zero, even though its a mid. Could use more investigating.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Any tips on how to handle Kung Jin with MoS
Block and pray lol.

Honestly I'm really not 100% sure. I'd like to think b1,2 is the go to because I believe that's our safe string. And if it hits we can go into soul ball or the vortext. I'm not the most knowledgable. I've been able to get past a few Kung Jin's by just being more aggressive. Forcing them to guess through the 50/50s. B3 into soul ball. If blocked into the overhead or the sweep. F4 into soul ball because of it's deceptive range.

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
Yeah I try to do all of those things. Idk I got scouled when I was in someone's stream. People were saying that ermac stylistically should've won. Feels bad mayun.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Well when you've got Green Energy in most of your combos and that voice you should be winning by default. No opponent can't match up to the mac swag :p

methademic

UPR Methademic
Honestly if the king Jim player is good with their spacing I feel like it'd impossible for me to get in consistently so I just resort to blocking and punishing which isn't bad for big Mac since any touch can easily be 35% plus

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
I've found playing mind games at the start of the match to be a little successful. I like to back dash at the start and jump into lift d3. Now once he hits the ground. You'll be at full screen. His next option is either arrow or that kick he launches him to the otherside of the map. 99.9% that kick is coming. But if the player messes up go invisible in the air. Thats basically my playbook for Jin.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
What if Spectral mac behaved similar to Hawkgirl. With the air projectile and rush (rush could be a modified soul charge). Not just would that fix his problems but would that make the character viable similar to how Hawkgirl was late into IGU's lifespan?

Afumba

Noob
I have the hardest time doing instant air blast. Especially off of block strings. Anyone have any advice to get it more consistent? Up then db2, on a pad quickly feels rough.
Pressing 2 before completing the motion helps. Airblast comes out if you just do "ddb2". On PS4 pad you can press the down button and hit it just on the left side to get the "d db" motion. So if you get it right you just need to press d2. Buffering up helps as well.
Beside this... no idea... Its still is hard to do. :-/

b12~teleport, f, 4
b3~teleport, f, 4
f4~teleport, f,3
You can use any other direction instead of forward.
pardon my ignorance, but I guess I still don't understand how an OS works. if I put these inputs in, wouldn't I just teleport instead of having b124 come out?

Icy Black Deep

Still training...
What if Spectral mac behaved similar to Hawkgirl. With the air projectile and rush (rush could be a modified soul charge). Not just would that fix his problems but would that make the character viable similar to how Hawkgirl was late into IGU's lifespan?
Hawkgirl got slaughtered by anyone with an air projectile. That could be somewhat mitigated by using a different variation against such characters with Ermac, but the question is really: What kind of character would an improved Spectral be BETTER against than Master of Souls?

Hawkgirl also didn't do so well against characters with good air-to-airs or good dash-up down-2s. Better air mobility and an air projectile that doesn't have a million frames of recovery could help on that front though.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Hawkgirl got slaughtered by anyone with an air projectile. That could be somewhat mitigated by using a different variation against such characters with Ermac, but the question is really: What kind of character would an improved Spectral be BETTER against than Master of Souls?

Hawkgirl also didn't do so well against characters with good air-to-airs or good dash-up down-2s. Better air mobility and an air projectile that doesn't have a million frames of recovery could help on that front though.
Though hawkgirl didn't do well I remember late in it's life span people had some decent Hawkgirl strategies. It was very zone heavy but it applied air pressure. When they tried to go in they'd charge.

In Ermac's case give him air projecticles similar to Acenstral Kung Jin. He can shoot projectiles straigtht, or at an angle but onyl while flying. He can use soul charge to dash at an opponent. Let him use lift while flying again for more space control zoning. If he MBs it while flying he can instantly bring them to him, slam them into the ground while also exiting flgiht letting him combo.

Not to mention he'd still retain his tp to punish other peoples projectiles. Make him into a full zoner who wants to stay in the air to zone. The idea with Spectral at this point isn't to make it better than MoS, it's to make it a viable or at least interesting way to play Ermac. Because currently it offers nothing of worth.

Afumba

Noob
pardon my ignorance, but I guess I still don't understand how an OS works. if I put these inputs in, wouldn't I just teleport instead of having b124 come out?
No. If you timed the input correctly the teleport will only come out if b12 hits; otherwise you get b124. The "f" motion removes the teleport to be executed on block.

No. If you timed the input correctly the teleport will only come out if b12 hits; otherwise you get b124. The "f" motion removes the teleport to be executed on block.
So if the teleport comes out on block after the b12 then i did it wrong? Sorry to ask again im at work and cant test it currently.

Gliss

Χ Ξ Σ
I would so love a video about how to pull this off.

Also,what does OS stand for?

<- New guy here.

Afumba

Noob
So if the teleport comes out on block after the b12 then i did it wrong? Sorry to ask again im at work and cant test it currently.
Yea, correct.

I would so love a video about how to pull this off.

Also,what does OS stand for?

<- New guy here.
Sry i am not the video type of guy. Maybe a more video enthusiast can.
But there is really not much to it besides how you time the input after your teleport input.

Hey folks,
Been playing Mystic Ermac since day 1, not super competitively...and am trying to take baby steps towards becoming a better player.

Right now, my strategy largely revolves around:
- D3 to poke enemies and open them up to F4, 3;
- pushing folks to the corner as much as possible with force push in or out of combos;
- the 50/50, particularly in the corner, involving, B3>2>1 vs. B3>4 vs F4>3. When I land one, I usually run in and alternate;
- jump in combos of the JIP>222>lift, NJP, jumping 1, teleport, soul blast (or push if I'm trying to get to the corner);
- teleport punch when characters whiff/projectile;
- while I normally save EX for combo breakers, I do use it fairly often to combo into my X-Ray when it'll win me the 1st round or match;
- I don't use the F2>1>D2 combo that often, because my game mostly focuses on the mix-ups.

I know that's not super high level play, but I feel I have a pretty good handle on it in terms of playing comfortably/not ever dropping these things. What I'm trying to do is find ways to expand this general strategy with better damage potential and learning how to get out of sticky situations while still being realistic about my skill level. Basically up my game little by little. I think I need help with the following:

1) I can't seem to consistently get a combo after standing or air teleport. I heard D4 and D1 are follow-ups, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Any tips? Do I just need to press them faster or is there a distance from the enemy that it works with better than others?
2) When I open my opponent up to an overhead with pokes, is there a better damaging combo to use than F4, 3? It generally works well for me in the sense that I do that, then rush;
3) When I'm getting rushed down, I find it very hard to get up. Is there an armored EX of choice for Ermac players?
4) Is there a longer/more punishing combo that plays off the low/overhead game I have going? Instead of doing B3>2>1 or B3>4, is there a way to still keep the opponent guessing but when connecting doing more damage?

Thanks folks - I'd really appreciate some insight into easy ways to slightly improve my game. So often my losses come down to a really close match where an extra 5% here or there would've been the difference!

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Master of souls is the competitive variation. I don't play Mystic myself but I'll try to answer your questions.

1. D1, B12, and F4 are all good normals you can link after either teleport.

2. Idk. Master of Souls can do F4/B3 xx Soul Ball for 40% meterless, though

3. Ex tele has armor on wakeup. Soul blast has armor but I dislike it.

4. Seriously, play Master of Souls.