What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Does Predator Invalidate Sub-Zero?

Does Predator Invalidate Sub-Zero

• No

Votes: 58 38.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 47 31.1%
  • Too early too tell

Votes: 46 30.5%

• Total voters

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
No and normally I would leave stuff like this alone. But the SZ community is especially silly sometimes. In every patch thread asking where their buffs are, Brady's hilarious series of clone rants, for a while it seemed that every thread, no matter what it was about, turned into a talk about Sub Zero being shafted in the patch and the buffs he needed. Just for arguments sake lets say I agree that Sub Zero could use some tweaks, I still would say that the way they've gone about talking about it on TYM is obnoxious.

So I saw this and it was like "oh for fuck sake, really? I'm going to be a smartass."
Good, this is what we needed to be doing 2 patches ago and maybe we'd get fixed. If it ain't fixed a year from now, I'll still be mentioning it everytime I see something relevant or something that can be compared to it is brought up in topic. Our bugs should be fixed and if NRS is gunna deliberately duck out of it, then it deserves to be attached to their public image everytime it's relevant.

Kinetic Balding1

Day 1 Phenomenal Cyborg
Well, SZ has the 50/50, no matter how unsafe his B2 is it's at least still an option that Predator doesn't have. He is also much more mobile. And has MUCH better wake ups.

Predator has heavy advancing to (sort of) make up for the lack of mobility, MUCH higher damage (one of the highest damage characters in the game compared to one of the lowest), and better set-ups, corner game, and options. He gets far more off a Trap connect than SZ ever will.

There is some areas where SZ isn't completely outclassed by Predator. But at the end of the day, Predator is just a better character with a similar play style, he's a better SZ. I'll be sticking with both and keeping the pocket Sub, but Predator aka Sub-Maximum will see more play than Sub-Zero from me from now on without a doubt.

Here's where he'll fit in with my pool of characters

#1 Hat Trick Kung Lao
#2 Hunter Predator
#3 Grandmaster Sub-Zero
Warrior Predator needs meter for 50/50s, but his instant air sautja attack is a 10-12 frame overhead.
Plus Gm Sub Zero needs meter to do damage after b2 and Predator can do even more damage with the same amount of meter.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
ppl underestimate the power of a fucking clone
Yeah, that clone that has the hitbox of a toothpick, doesn't come out vs characters that breathe, and goes away on block.

Reeeeal powerful.

Look at the hunter variation corner video that shows off the trap. Sub Zero used to have something similar. Not anymore...

And to the OP:

Absolutely invalidates sub zero.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Good, this is what we needed to be doing 2 patches ago and maybe we'd get fixed. If it ain't fixed a year from now, I'll still be mentioning it everytime I see something relevant or something that can be compared to it is brought up in topic. Our bugs should be fixed and if NRS is gunna deliberately duck out of it, then it deserves to be attached to their public image everytime it's relevant.
I understand your frustration.

But that's not exactly the right way to go about it. If the 3D breathing hitboxes cause issues with the game, perhaps those should be addressed in a different topic altogether. It's the same reason why a lot of crouching, blocking characters don't get hit by some mids. This is just purely for discussion on Predator and if his tools overall are worth more than SZ.

I GOT HANDS

Warrior Predator needs meter for 50/50s, but his instant air sautja attack is a 10-12 frame overhead.
Plus Gm Sub Zero needs meter to do damage after b2 and Predator can do even more damage with the same amount of meter.
Yeah but that's like looking at Kung Lao's dominance at the moment and saying Kung Lao has a Low Hat mix-up. Were talking about Hunter here so there is no overhead, different variations completely different characters. Also, GM gets 22% off B2 and 40% in the corner! both meterless, so it's not fair to say he doesn't get damage off that. In fact Midscreen it's the LOW he needs to spend meter on to get anything (against Males)

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Hey guys, I don't plan on hopping in too often as I really want to hear from you guys rather than reaffirm my opinion in the comments. That being said, ice clone is 1/2 of a functioning move in 1/3 of what makes Sub-Zero a character. I think it's also important to discuss how Cryo and Unbreakable measure up to Predator as well to get the best answer either for or against my assessment.

I GOT HANDS

I understand your frustration.

But that's not exactly the right way to go about it. If the 3D breathing hitboxes cause issues with the game, perhaps those should be addressed in a different topic altogether. It's the same reason why a lot of crouching, blocking characters don't get hit by some mids. This is just purely for discussion on Predator and if his tools overall are worth more than SZ.
And... That's exactly what we talking about. Predator is attracting Sub Zero players because our character is so unreliable with so many options. Otherwise I'd be sticking to Sub personally. It's extremely relevant to topic

Am I the only one that watches kombat kasts?

I don't think they thought as much into it as the OP suggests. They haven't demonstrated enough knowledge of their own game to know what may or may not be OP, invalidate another character, etc. You don't see them doing anything optimally ever. None of the tactics that are widely used or remotely good at all in this game is ever demonstrated by these developers. In short, they don't identify OP things, broken things, imbalanced movesets, etc because they SUCK at this game.

RM_NINfan101

Am I the only one that watches kombat kasts?

I don't think they thought as much into it as the OP suggests. They haven't demonstrated enough knowledge of their own game to know what may or may not be OP, invalidate another character, etc. You don't see them doing anything optimally ever. None of the tactics that are widely used or remotely good at all in this game is ever demonstrated by these developers. In short, they don't identify OP things, broken things, imbalanced movesets, etc because they SUCK at this game.
Well maybe you will get to see more of 16Bit and PPJ and Check.

I don't really think the point of the KombatKast was to show off character technicality, but to get fans hype.

Hunter and GM are very similar. How can someone who plays as neither tell people who do how it is?
Being good at something isn't a requirement of having an opinion about it. Nor is partaking in it. The whole "get good with SZ before you talk about SZ" thing was all pretty absurd too. I think the dude that played darth vader in the last starwars movie is a terrible actor. Should I get good at acting before I'm allowed to think that?

Anyway, I can tell that hunter and GM are similar. I play neither.

RM_NINfan101

3 hit kombos, a couple of normals, showing special moves a couple times, and then playing johnny cage for a half hour isn't very hype. :)
Won't disagree with you either, but let me not get off topic haha.

I GOT HANDS

To be fair, because there was only one truly viable trapping character to begin with. This game has rushdown/pressure all over the place.
I disagree, I think both Master of Storms Raiden and Hat Trick Lao are both very playable and both likely better than GM Sub

Hunter is just VERY similar to Sub

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
No and normally I would leave stuff like this alone. But the SZ community is especially silly sometimes. In every patch thread asking where their buffs are, Brady's hilarious series of clone rants, for a while it seemed that every thread, no matter what it was about, turned into a talk about Sub Zero being shafted in the patch and the buffs he needed. Just for arguments sake lets say I agree that Sub Zero could use some tweaks, I still would say that the way they've gone about talking about it on TYM is obnoxious.

So I saw this and it was like "oh for fuck sake, really? I'm going to be a smartass."
habibi, that hilarious clone rant is proofing a lot of problem with characters whiffing left and right, that's the first time for some of us to hear about the breathing hitbox, and even if you don't like the community or tom, you have to admit by watching those vids, that the breathing hitbox is ridiculous, that and klone do need to be fixed.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I disagree, I think both Master of Storms Raiden and Hat Trick Lao are both very playable and both likely better than GM Sub

Hunter is just VERY similar to Sub
I understand... I must admit however that MoS and Hat Trick fell to the wayside of my memory, I suppose Summoner Quan is a trap character as well, his corner game is excellent as well in a lot of respects.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Hey guys, I don't plan on hopping in too often as I really want to hear from you guys rather than reaffirm my opinion in the comments. That being said, ice clone is 1/2 of a functioning move in 1/3 of what makes Sub-Zero a character. I think it's also important to discuss how Cryo and Unbreakable measure up to Predator as well to get the best answer either for or against my assessment.
I'll do my best and try to address that. Sub v Pred:

- Projectile department:
Sub ice ball is slow, punishable by everyone up close and does no chip dmg if blocked from afar (in fact it's the only projectile the does no chip, correct me if i'm wrong). You can also jump over it. EX version eats projectiles (but not the Pred's ones, they are too high up). Preds disks outo-track you, can catch you in the air, so no jumping, they do chip dmg, but are punishable up close just as Sub's snow ball. So it is no chip against chip (in favour of Pred), Preds projectiles prevent jump ins (which are godly in this game), EX ice ball will not eat them, they are too high up. They are both punishable up close though. When both projectiles hit however, you can combo off them.

- GM: his trapping tool is unreliable, disappears on block, pokes go through it, if you decide to cancel into clone in the corner you have to be prepared it will not work out because hitbox wasn't breathing in Sub's favour. In severe situations if you try to cancel into MB Klone, you might not only lose meter but also get punished. So basically clone is good as shield or sometimes projectile, but if you wish to make further usage of it, like cancel into it, you are risking. Hunter's traps stay on block, cover great range if you toss them mid screen and detonate (and Pred doesn't need to stay next to them to detonate it). So it's better keep away tool. Opponent gets launched and you can combo off it. Plus, Hunter deals more damage. His only minus so far is his mobility. Although bf4 covers big range, it's punishable by Sub. And we are yet to see what else can be done with Hunter's traps. He can also toss them from air. So far he seams to be better, mostly because he has CONSISTENCY. And Sub doesn't.

- Unbreakable: all Pred variations have dmg mitigating tools and when meter burned no chip damage, which is what ice aura is all about. The thing is Pred deals far more dmg then Unbreakable and has far more better anti airs (disks for example). I mean, no contest. Pred wins here hands down. Also SZ's Shield has too much recovery, and anybody who shoots 2 projectiles in a row is guaranteed to hit him on the second one.

- Cryomancer: if you wanna rush down character, any Predator variation is better. Cryo's hammer is slow, punishable (Pred's amazing d4), he struggles building meter, cannot even cancel normal hammer for it. Has useless air hammer. Warrior Pred is a b(e)ast if it goes for damage so far.

So far really no reason to stick with Sub-Zero other then character loyalty. Things might change in future, although for GM it is more about game mechanics messing his klone set-ups, and that might be pretty hard to repair.

I GOT HANDS

I understand... I must admit however that MoS and Hat Trick fell to the wayside of my memory, I suppose Summoner Quan is a trap character as well, his corner game is excellent as well in a lot of respects.
You could probably include Ronin Takeda as well although fairly sure he just sucks ass

I don't play a character because of his strength or certain playstyle. I play a certain character because I love the character. I started playing sub in mk9 cause I loved how the character looks and because he is an antagonist to annoying and always overhyped Boon's pet Scorpion.

I will always play Sub, no matter how underpowered he gets. If you love the character you can be good with a character, if you play someone just because he's the most powerfull, then maybe you should play other games or do other things. I never ever in my life in any game period played a character that I didn't like visually and story-wise, tiers have zero effect on me whatsoever.

Just my opinion though.