Do you like MKXL

• Yes

Votes: 177 64.8%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.2%

• Total voters

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Right, they both represent the two extremes. Injustice top tiers were could be played highly defensive with rushdown characters having little option to advance in, and the opposite goes for MKX. I assume somewhere along the line we get the best of both worlds (Hopefully with invincible wakeups).
Wait are you saying injustice top tiers were all defensive while mkx is the opposite and they are all offensive?

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Wait are you saying injustice top tiers were all defensive while mkx is the opposite and they are all offensive?
Moreso the style of play that won most of the time was to simply let the rushdown characters hang themselves due to tremendously large stages and poor grounded mobility. Characters like Martian, Aquaman, Bane, and Zod were all super top and essentially shut down a forward approach, which then opened up their own offensive games. If they had a life lead, good luck getting it back, because you weren't going to catch them.

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
I like the game, I mean either I like it or I am an idiot for playing 1000s of matches over the last year and some change. I have to say it has been a bit of a roller-coaster. From vanilla mkx to the Reign of Quanya to the Rise and Fall of the Robots and now the Alien infestation the game has been pretty crazy throughout the past year.
I still play it at my weekly, but so many people have quit for many of the reasons listed in this thread: setplay is too strong, constant patches, crybabies who won't lab, 50/50 psychic tests, and so on.
It sucks because a game that I've been playing nonstop for a year has started to lose it's flavor with less people to play, less salt to cause, and generally a weak image to the FGC at large. I hate going to watch a major stream and just seeing "MKX is dead." all across the side, but I think people are starting to believe it.

I like the game because it is easy to pick up characters and get a grasp on their gameplan, but they have depth if you are willing to put in the time with them. The run mechanic is my favorite part of this game, it makes combos and block strings more interesting, and adds a pace to the game that many other games don't have.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
My opinion stated earlier could be somewhat bias because of how much more I like SFV even though it also has flaws. I played Injustice and MK9 pretty much till they died but I stopped playing MKX way earlier. I just don't enjoy the way neutral plays out. That's really all I can say. I don't really mind the 50/50's honestly, it's a block button game.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Moreso the style of play that won most of the time was to simply let the rushdown characters hang themselves due to tremendously large stages and poor grounded mobility. Characters like Martian, Aquaman, Bane, and Zod were all super top and essentially shut down a forward approach, which then opened up their own offensive games. If they had a life lead, good luck getting it back, because you weren't going to catch them.
Oh gotcha. Well for characters like Zod and Aquaman that was their gameplan by design. Bane did that in only a few match ups really and MMH, well yeah he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted so thats on him I guess. I really dont feel like the grounded mobility was that poor considering it was a rule of thumb that blocking a non EX projectile gave everyone a free forward dash but I get what you are saying. On the otherhand there were characters like Batgirl and Flash that never really did that because they were busy hammering their offense down on people so I think it was more of a unique case. There were characters whose offense was just as strong as the defensive characters defense, I definitely would not say Injustice was as defensive as MKX is offensive, Injustice just had both options being viable.

I see nothing wrong with allowing people to hang them selves, blow them up for being impatient, and then starting your own offense now that youve conditioned them to respect your defense. That just sounds like a solid fighting game fundamentals to me if its designed around that kind of meta, but maybe thats why some NRS players didnt like it as much :rolleyes:

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I wanted to make a thread asking the same question but with a different topic. Seeing as how a NRS game dies when the next one comes out even though it isn't a direct sequel. Do people like MKx? Enough to keep it going alongside Injustice 2? Because really that's the only thing preventing any sort of longevity out of these games. People liking it enough.

Anyways, nope I don't like this game. I kind of did but definitely not enough to keep playing it. It's got all this offense but none of the fun stuff in offense heavy games. For example, movement/speed seems to be a bigger thing in offense/damage heavy games (tekken, GG, BB, MvC). MKx feels like the CoD of fighters. Everything is too close and everything is too powerful.

I'm mostly on the SFV thread. That and the hope injustice 2 is actually a decent fighter and NRS doesn't do something crazy post game, keeps me on this site. That and the blowups/drama here and there. That's always good to see.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
I say yes and no for me. I like parts and I hate others. This particular build I feel is like SF4AE where the game was broken and it was obvious a few top tiers were ruining the game and no other characters could hold a candle. If NRS would hold on to this game for maybe 2 more revisions we can have an ULTRA or ULTIMATE version of MKX. Maybe UMKX, UMK:XL, MKX:KE, UMKX:KE, UMKXL:KE lool.

Honestly though if the developers would work together with the scenes and communities to revise parts of the game and make as much aspects of it worthwhile the game would be one of my favorite. Not just balancing issues either. Revise universal gameplay mechanics that could help this current state like block breaker, make it less costly so it can be used like a push block and get some breathing room.

As far as unfair things existing in this game I used to play UMVC3 and I forgot what unfair truly was. If you feel like you're getting cheated out of playing in this game try UMVC3. Lose 3 characters faster than this game.

One thing I will say, I feel KI did better on the mind games and skill of the players. The breakers require the correct attack strength and timing, you can counter the breaker to keep your combos going, shadow counters are like simpler red parries from 3rd Strike. You're much more rewarded for being highly adaptable and knowing your options. It has a better back and forth feel going down to the wire.

I remember someone mentioning this, add extra stun or a specific animation from having your heavy/important moves blocked. Tekken has this for moves like heavy sweeps. If the opponent blocked it you stumble and they can punish. Even SFV has this now. I feel this simple concept could shift the tide on the constant offense MKXL has. Then again it may make things worse because what moves should be given this special stumble? NRS may pick the dumbest or most worthless moves for stumbles.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
No. I could never play MKX for a long period of time like other games where I could play endlessly and have loads of fun. It's not the same with MKX. The game just didn't do it for me. And because I didn't enjoy the game apparently I have my panties in a bunch. That's tym for ya.

CRKFIEND

Noob
Yes. It's the best NRS title to date. Not sure why everyone's panties are knotted about it.
What? This must be your first NRS game. MK9 was far superior to MKX/XL. Injustice was even better than MKXL. I was done with MKX within a month. That's probably the least I've played an NRS game since MK vs DC. MKX has the most bland cast of characters. The offspring story arc, and originality of the new characters suck, with exception of a couple. Half of the DLC roster are "guests" that I didn't want in my MK anyways. I obsess over good MK's. I bought THREE copies of MK9. I bought MKX for PS4 and haven't given it a look in months. MK9 had those UMK3 nostalgia feels.

Don't ya know, brah? You can't mess with the feels.

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
I like it. I think I enjoyed injustice a tad bit more but that's more because I enjoyed the community a lot more. There were rivalries. There was tension. The whole East Coast vs West Coast aspect of injustice was always really hype. It seems like the more "E-Sports" MK got, the personality of the community dwindled. Not completely, but it definitely did a little.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This thread is a really small sample and doesn't really reflect much. It's not like every competitive player is posting.

Like Injustice and MK9, some like it, some don't. I literally don't see any difference, and there is no particular "demographic" that likes this game more than others (ie those who are only casuals vs. experienced fighting game players).

Remember how many people took a shit all over Injustice, many of which being experienced tournament players? You could have made that same statement then.
What's interesting to me is that a lot of the comments about Injustice were from people who thought they were going to get MK9 back. There was plenty of "Just wait until Mortal Kombat returns", and players who thought MK 10 would basically be MK9.5.

Now that people know they're not getting MK9 back (and will have to accept different games, playstyles, and mechanics) I'm curious to see if it affects reactions to newer games.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
What? This must be your first NRS game. MK9 was far superior to MKX/XL. Injustice was even better than MKXL. I was done with MKX within a month. That's probably the least I've played an NRS game since MK vs DC. MKX has the most bland cast of characters. The offspring story arc, and originality of the new characters suck, with exception of a couple. Half of the DLC roster are "guests" that I didn't want in my MK anyways. I obsess over good MK's. I bought THREE copies of MK9. I bought MKX for PS4 and haven't given it a look in months. MK9 had those UMK3 nostalgia feels.

Don't ya know, brah? You can't mess with the feels.
I gotta admit this really killed it for me too. The same thing happened with the Expendables movies. I go to see them for the old action movie heroes getting together and kicking ass. Not to see some team of nobodies and no names suck the life out of the party. It was a nice idea but you'd be hard pressed to have the new gen replace the OG's. I did like Erron though.

CRKFIEND

Noob
I gotta admit this really killed it for me too. The same thing happened with the Expendables movies. I go to see them for the old action movie heroes getting together and kicking ass. Not to see some team of nobodies and no names suck the life out of the party. It was a nice idea but you'd be hard pressed to have the new gen replace the OG's. I did like Erron though.
I liked D'vorah, I think they nailed her design. Erron was decent too. I was a bit let down by Kotal Khan, for being the ruler of outworld, he was kind of a bitch. The kids were all dopes... Oh, and the OST blows. I can't recall one memorable track from MKX. Actually, I can only recall one from track from Injustice I enjoyed too (excluding the credits). Game makers try too hard with "immersion", I don't need immersive music. Your game isn't going to change my life. I need memorable, and catchy music.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Just because we hate the game doesn't mean we are giving up on all future NRS titles.

Also, the only thread I come here for anymore is the Overwatch thread. Not even joking lol. (That might change once the next NRS title is announced).

As stated before, its not that zoning is nonexistent, just that it is 100X harder to do in this game than rushdown. I mean with the run, 50/50s, long reaching normals, teleports, it's no wonder why you don't see much zoning at a high level.

Also only trolls and idiots say the game takes no skill. The results are very consistent and it definitely takes a ton of skill to play, especially with how unforgiving its neutral and footsies are. Lets not start straw manning people's arguments please...
Add Mystic Ermac to the list of characters that play very efficient keep out games, even at High Level. Forgot about how good he is

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
I just wanted to add that the atmosphere set by the visuals and music are 2nd to none. I love how dark the game feels.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
I liked D'vorah, I think they nailed her design. Erron was decent too. I was a bit let down by Kotal Khan, for being the ruler of outworld, he was kind of a bitch. The kids were all dopes... Oh, and the OST blows. I can't recall one memorable track from MKX. Actually, I can only recall one from track from Injustice I enjoyed too (excluding the credits). Game makers try too hard with "immersion", I don't need immersive music. Your game isn't going to change my life. I need memorable, and catchy music.
Yeah I mean't to say my animosity was mainly towards the stupid Kombat Kids. No point in having parents and kids. If I had to chose 1 group it would be the parents.

We need more Dan Forden and John Tobias. Seriously after Tobias left MK lost it's heart and soul.

Major Moron74

I'm not paying for your beliefs
Honestly, I love MKX. It's polished, fun, and has that classic feel and mood all MK games have. It's right up there with my favorites of the series. But I won't lie, the game got a little stale, especially after KP2. The improved online is great, but didn't change the fact most casuals play with potato routers and the rest who take the game somewhat "seriously" relied on gimmicks and unbalanced variations, so weren't fun to play agains anyways. Which brings me to the thing that I think is holding the game back, the variation system. At first it was interesting but in the end it just led to some amazing variations with too much, and some uninspired variations with too little. It just made the game too difficult to balance and a lot of people's favorite characters got butchered and split into pieces (Raiden). I really want to see this system go for the next MK. The large number of guest characters in the game also was disappointing. They took the spots of what could have been MK4 characters like Fujin, Jarek, Reiko, or 3D era characters like Frost, Ashrah, or even returning MK9 characters like Baraka, Stryker, Kabal, etc.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
I love the game, but the patching was exhausting. This team really needs to focus on testing IGAU2 vigorously before launch, and even consider a beta so the online is not a mess. That way I do not have to re learn my damn characters every few months.

Game looks good and plays well, I enjoy playing it casually with friends but I honestly can't stand watching tournament footage, the top 8s are anti hype.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Oh gotcha. Well for characters like Zod and Aquaman that was their gameplan by design. Bane did that in only a few match ups really and MMH, well yeah he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted so thats on him I guess. I really dont feel like the grounded mobility was that poor considering it was a rule of thumb that blocking a non EX projectile gave everyone a free forward dash but I get what you are saying. On the otherhand there were characters like Batgirl and Flash that never really did that because they were busy hammering their offense down on people so I think it was more of a unique case. There were characters whose offense was just as strong as the defensive characters defense, I definitely would not say Injustice was as defensive as MKX is offensive, Injustice just had both options being viable.

I see nothing wrong with allowing people to hang them selves, blow them up for being impatient, and then starting your own offense now that youve conditioned them to respect your defense. That just sounds like a solid fighting game fundamentals to me if its designed around that kind of meta, but maybe thats why some NRS players didnt like it as much :rolleyes:
There's nothing wrong with it, but I think the vast majority of characters having bad back walks meant that it was far harder to avoid moves like Martian 2, aqua b1, sinestro b1, batgirl b1, gl b1, and the list goes on. Getting into the range of those moves meant your options were limited to back dash or jump back, and some of those moves even hit those. I think the game favoured those who could hold back and cause their opponents to have to move in range of their best move, and it gave them very good offense. Catoman had decent mixups, but her bad walk means her low was a rare option, so she had little to threaten a lot of chars with good anti air and moves like the ones described above.

MKX sort of got around this with most characters having good walk speed, but the run sort of takes it over the top. Hence the need for a happy medium.