• Yes

Votes: 177 64.8%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.2%

• Total voters

shura30

Shura
yes
it's full of shit (which fighting game isn't) maybe some of it a little bit exaggerated in light of other franchises
but when one gets to understand what separates good from bad players, mkxl reaches a whole new level of competitive fun

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
It's alright. Not the first MK game I didn't care too much for over 20 years. I love MK just this isn't compared to the 90's classic or MK9. Which is fine. There are people who love Book series, TV series, or Movies series but didn't like a season, book, or movie in them. I'll always support MK but I didn't enjoy this game as much as I did MK9.

Not voting because there isn't an option for the middle. Just either yes or no.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I stopped playing it before the new netcode. Before Tremor came out. I suppose its unfair yea, but it doesn't quite have the holding power that mk9 or injustice had, and I really didn't like injustice that much either lol. I played a little bit in the new netcode a week or so back though, got bodied by d'vo's oh/oh/kick string. So yea, I'm bad at the game, and I know it. I just didn't put the time in, BUT the time I was putting in, which was a lot early on, wasn't giving me any semblance of skill or progression at all.
That might be because Kotal, imo, is a character with a low skill cap. Whereas someone like pre-patch Summoner Quan, while insanely overpowered, did have a really high skill ceiling.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Kitana
Mileena
Quan Chi
Shinnok
Sektor
Leatherface
Alien
Predator

All of these characters can zone well. Not in every match up, but pure projectile based zoning doesn't exist in too many fighters these days.

More to the point, the zoning exists to force mistakes for punishment, not to deplete an entire lifebar with fireballs.
Also you could throw in Sub if you're not counting zoning as pure projectiles, but the ability to control space.

kantboy-2

Ripper
I bought an XB1 just to play this game.

Best MK presentation, best character design in the series and they tried something new with the variation system (100 characters as of now).

The grapplers in this game are freaking fun. Commando Kano, I love you. ;)

Yes, I like it.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Yeah, please, go ahead and try to play sun god at a high lvl vs high tier characters and come back with another low skill cap comment.
Why are you getting so defensive? I thought it was pretty well know Kotal just isn't a very difficult character to play so you aren't going to feel like youre making crazy advancements in your play when there's not that much there to learn in the first place. Blood God being an exception.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I can honestly barely play MKX for longer than fifteen minutes anymore without descending into utter boredom, which is incredibly rare for me with a fighting game, especially an MK one. The improved netcode plus Alien - which is basically my ideal guest character - really breathed new life into the game for me, but it didn't last longer than a few weeks. (I commend NRS for the former, though. It took them long enough but an NRS game with good online play felt like an unobtainable dream. I was blown the hell away by how much it'd improved.)

My experience with MKX overall has been pretty odd, but I've never known whether it was my fault or the game's. Now I get the feeling it's a mixture of both. Unlike MK9, which I loved casually but thought was absolutely laughable as a competitive game, I think this
it's the closest NRS has come to a game with flaws that are more preferential than true-blue gameplay issues.
really applies to MKX.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
MKX is the greatest fighting game to date, IMO.

The presentation makes it feel absolutely visceral.

Also, the stuff everything else complains about - meaning no zoning or 'footsies' - all the dirt and that it just comes down to scrums in the corner - makes me love it even more because its fight or flight almost every game.

GAV

Why are you getting so defensive? I thought it was pretty well know Kotal just isn't a very difficult character to play so you aren't going to feel like youre making crazy advancements in your play when there's not that much there to learn in the first place. Blood God being an exception.
The idea that Sun God is easy is a misnomer, IMO.

I've only seen a very few people play him well.

Beyond the basics, there is a lot to know about him that no one learns without putting the time in.

GAV

BTW - The only thing I can think of that would deepen MKX are defensive hitboxes - meaning if you hit them - you recoil and are momentarily vulnerable, but these defensive hitboxes also have recovery and they can be hit around. Think, The Clone - but with much smaller hitbox areas - and more recovery.

It would change the wake-up game and offer depth to the armor/poke - 50-50 game.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
MKX brings out a lot more than a fighting game to the table, caters to both casuals and competitors, best visuals for a FG, trumps diversity and variety by far, immense amount of content and replay value and has such a unique skillful way of playing.. oh and the improved netcode is still amazing (if not the best?).
That doesn't mean it does everything right, for a game like MKX it really should have focused a bit more on Ranked Mode and since it was planned to be competitively supported for at least a year it should have been more self-aware and not have such a huge advantage towards offense, hurt/hitbox issues and specifically low risk/high reward guessing situations, although I like MKX for some of it's craziness, I'm pretty sure it lost a lot of its audience due to silly decisions and I cannot - for all that is holy - recommend anyone to get into it competitively.

In a nutshell: it's one patch away to flush out or improve some of the worst mechanics to become (one of) the best fighting game of all time (or at the very least, accomplish it's best potential before moving on to another trial-and-error experiment).

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It's interesting to me that a lot of people who say they 'love' the game seem to have never had played a fighting game before MKX, yet most people I recognise from Injustice or MK9 say they don't like it.
That is an interesting point. It could be that they didn't have preconceptions beforehand, it's hard to be disappointed with something you didn't have a lot of expectations for. I think people kind of expected it to be a certain way and it wasn't. Not necessarily a knock on the game, but I don't think a lot of the NRS veteran players expected it to end up like this from before the game was released.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
It's interesting to me that a lot of people who say they 'love' the game seem to have never had played a fighting game before MKX, yet most people I recognise from Injustice or MK9 say they don't like it.
MK XL has:

1) Best single player mode of any other fighting game except some old SC maybe

2) Amazing online (after the last patch, that is)

3) Very balanced roster. Despite all the silly complains 3/4 of the variations are competitive and get used in tournaments. It's not rare to find 8 different variations in top 8 around the world

4) Great graphics

5) A lot of very different characters/ variations, enough to satisfy pretty much every taste

MK9 and Injustice were fun games overall, but don't really compare. Are we going to say that p1 advantage, horrible online, meter drain glitch, very unbalanced rosters, infinities, etc... didn't exist?

And no, I don't play just MK lol

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
I will say though that I am a reactionary defense/zoning type of player, so the game's mechanics were pretty much going against everything I like to do in FGs.
As someone who is using MKX as my first game to hop into the competitive side, your playstyle is like my own and I'm struggling. You've probably played for several more years than I and can adapt but I cannot. I'm still playing the game because I can't just drop it and 'git gud' but I def understand your point.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
It was fun when Tanya came out. Then she kept getting nerfed (I played Pyro). Never wanted to play Kobu it wasn't as fun.

My scene died for the most part after XL dropped and I have more fun playing other games/running mystery tournaments for my scene.

Do I still enjoy watching it? Yes. Playing it? Not really.
You stopped coming out way before XL came out :(

It's definitely a great game but I gotta say I had more fun playing MK9 and even Injustice for that matter. This game looks great and I know I'm just a scrub but I really don't see how people think this game is balanced. I stopped playing for about a month and hopped on the other night, I played roughly 15-20 matches or so online and fought either Mileena, Takeda, and Ermac and that was it. Maybe KP3 will get me going again but I'm honestly just waiting for Injustice at this point.

coolwhip

Noob
This thread is a really small sample and doesn't really reflect much. It's not like every competitive player is posting.

Like Injustice and MK9, some like it, some don't. I literally don't see any difference, and there is no particular "demographic" that likes this game more than others (ie those who are only casuals vs. experienced fighting game players).

Remember how many people took a shit all over Injustice, many of which being experienced tournament players? You could have made that same statement then.

coolwhip

Noob
As far as the game goes, I think it's easily the least flawed NRS game to date (and probably the best balanced), and definitely the most polished. The flaws for the most part, are mainly down to personal preferences and that's a good thing. However, in case said flaws bother you, they can be considered MAJOR flaws. Stuff like 50/50's and super oppressive offense can be pretty tiresome if that's not your cup of tea.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 50/50's, especially combined with the ridiculous run speed that many characters have (that also ties in to how dangerous knockdown situations can be), but I really feel that's my only gripe with the game. And I realize Injustice was a 50/50 heavy game as well, but in MKX, it just feels like setting up 50/50's is a more straightforward affair, which makes it a bit more annoying.

On the whole though, I love the variation system, I love godlike net code, and I really don't think the game has any major issues (some so called issues are really overblown or flat out untrue, such as so alleged lack of AA options). So yeah, I like it quite a bit.

Last edited:

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I like it because I love MK in the heart. I dislike what've done to the meta game. Preferred the mega game that was in MK9. Outside of Cyrax's sick rests, Kabals IAGB's and few other shit that was there. I still play MKX but has not been into the game as deep as I was back in MK9 days. We could party hard, a group of people, starting on friday afternoon and finish on Sunday afternoon and go over again like that for 2-3 years. Its not like that with MKX :-(