Do you like MKXL

• Yes

Votes: 177 64.8%
  • No

Votes: 96 35.2%

• Total voters

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
the problem is that like anything, the haters or w/e you want to call them are LOUD and OBNOXIOUS. Just like anything click bate threads get clicked on, positive people try to talk but get shouted down... it gets to the point that there is basically two TYM communities and they can not mix, as any response to a "toxic" post is just feeding the beast... this in turn means that the bias becomes even stronger.

In short.. YES... I strongly suspect that the vast majority still love MK and MKx but a threads like that just go under the radar, even though there are many more made every day.

I keep reading best NRS game to date. It's the best fighting game ever period!!!
your right it is.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
I stopped liking the game right before tremor came out not because of the offense/lack of defense, but for a few more specific reasons:

-I main Kotal. When I play people online I literally win 90% of my games by mashing d1 and just chipping/knicking them to death because they have no answer. Or it usually turns into a air ballet of jumping around and throwing out air normals hoping your bs hits them and occasionally landing a combo. Losing didn't always feel deserved, but neither did winning. My knowledge and skill didn't improve and I can only like playing like that for so long.

-Before some smug ass comes in and tells me to play people from here - I have people from tym specifically on my friend's list so that I could play these games with you guys. I sent invites ALL the time early in the game's life and 99% of the time those messages were ignored. I'm done trying with that nonsense.

-Personal vent: When you send a "friend" of yours a request to fight, they play you for half a round, match desyncs and they decline to play you further, but somehow have time to play 1v1 with some other fuckboi on psn it gets me salty. F that. :mad::mad::mad:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Just because we hate the game doesn't mean we are giving up on all future NRS titles.

Also, the only thread I come here for anymore is the Overwatch thread. Not even joking lol. (That might change once the next NRS title is announced).

As stated before, its not that zoning is nonexistent, just that it is 100X harder to do in this game than rushdown. I mean with the run, 50/50s, long reaching normals, teleports, it's no wonder why you don't see much zoning at a high level.

Also only trolls and idiots say the game takes no skill. The results are very consistent and it definitely takes a ton of skill to play, especially with how unforgiving its neutral and footsies are. Lets not start straw manning people's arguments please...
You don't see zoning at a high level? Really?

I guess you haven't watched Shujinkydink's Summoner, Cossner's Sektor, Destroyer's Predator, etc?

I'm sorry, but this lack of zoning talk is one of the biggest bills sold to the community.

Meep8345

Noob
I stopped liking the game right before tremor came out not because of the offense/lack of defense, but for a few more specific reasons:

-I main Kotal. When I play people online I literally win 90% of my games by mashing d1 and just chipping/knicking them to death because they have no answer. Or it usually turns into a air ballet of jumping around and throwing out air normals hoping your bs hits them and occasionally landing a combo. Losing didn't always feel deserved, but neither did winning. My knowledge and skill didn't improve and I can only like playing like that for so long.

-Before some smug ass comes in and tells me to play people from here - I have people from tym specifically on my friend's list so that I could play these games with you guys. I sent invites ALL the time early in the game's life and 99% of the time those messages were ignored. I'm done trying with that nonsense.

-Personal vent: When you send a "friend" of yours a request to fight, they play you for half a round, match desyncs and they decline to play you further, but somehow have time to play 1v1 with some other fuckboi on psn it gets me salty. F that. :mad::mad::mad:
You win by just mashing d1 and abusing kotal's broken jip1? I can understand the jip1 winning since someone might try to AA it and eat a combo instead lol but how can you win from d1 in the new net code?

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
I like this game an awful lot.

That's why I want to see support continued and 1 more patch buffing the low tiers and slightly toning down the upper tiers. It's so close to being a perfect game.

As much as I complain about certain aspects of the game, it's because I love it and see what it can become. Even in its current state, it's still hella fun.

MK_Al

Noob
I really like this game - graphics and artwork are great, overall amount of content is great (sfv storry mode LMAO), char variety and var system is pretty cool and of course the mk typical game mechanics (block button, fatalities,...) are awesome.
What really kills that game is the risk / reward balance. I could live with 50/50ies if i could punish them on block. What the hell was NRS thinking when they came up with safe 50/50ies or moves that travel > sweep dist an are barely minus or even plus (the fact that most normals can be canceled into specials already includes some guessing work) and at the same time lead to good damage?
Overall, if the risk / reward balance would be better I would consider MKX one of the best fighting games out there.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
You win by just mashing d1 and abusing kotal's broken jip1? I can understand the jip1 winning since someone might try to AA it and eat a combo instead lol but how can you win from d1 in the new net code?
I stopped playing it before the new netcode. Before Tremor came out. I suppose its unfair yea, but it doesn't quite have the holding power that mk9 or injustice had, and I really didn't like injustice that much either lol. I played a little bit in the new netcode a week or so back though, got bodied by d'vo's oh/oh/kick string. So yea, I'm bad at the game, and I know it. I just didn't put the time in, BUT the time I was putting in, which was a lot early on, wasn't giving me any semblance of skill or progression at all.

I absolutely love it. Keep in mind however that I'm not a fighting game player, I'm an NRS fighting game player. I have no other fighting game to compare this to outside of other NRS titles. I mean, I tried SFxTekken and MvC3 when they came out but they were so different from what I was used to with MK that I didn't really give them a chance. That being said, MKX is the best fighting game I've ever played. The netcode at launch was gruesome and I nearly dropped the game because I had literally nobody to play with but since that was fixed I haven't stopped playing. The thing I have realized though, is that MKX is so much of a guessing game that it creates the illusion that anyone can win. But that's all it is...an illusion. This game takes skill to be good at it. Haven't you noticed that the top players are still pretty much the same? So yes, I like the game. I'm going keep traveling to these tournaments and hopefully I'll make a top 8 one day. And if that day comes, I'm going to feel like I accomplished something. I'm not going to let the MKX haters make me feel like I only made it that far because my opponents guessed wrong every time.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
The game is quite good, but I think we can reach the consensus that NRS should just stop with the 50/50s. The only thing they accomplish is to make new players feel that they are good at this game when they pick characters like Master of Souls or Cryomancer and do jump-in punch into 50/50. People are more likely to stay because of this yes (let's not forget that the competitive NRS community is small), but it promotes the exact opposite of skillful play.

Last edited:

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
The game is, at least, good and fun with some ecceptions.
It's the community that is horrible, from casual to uber-competitive.

The game is quite good, but I think we can reach the consensus that NRS should just stop with the fuckin' 50/50s man. The only thing they accomplish is to make new players feel that they are good at this game when they pick characters like Master of Souls or Cryomancer and do jump-in punch into 50/50. People are more likely to stay because of this yes (let's not forget that the competitive NRS community is small), but it promotes the exact opposite of skillful play.
Lel...
I saw a cryo player that have 5000 wins and 2000 loss and all he do is jump in into 50/50.
How can you play hours by doing only this and still have fun is beyond me.
And a ton of MoS Ermac. Really, a ton...
What a cancer...

DDutchguy

The game is, at least, good and fun with some ecception.
It's the community that is horrible, from casual to uber-competitive.
The community isn't nearly as bad as most say. I honestly think other fighting game communities can be just as salty and toxic as some people on this site. Also, compared to Moba communities for instance, TYM'ers practically hug you every time you make a post.

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
The community isn't nearly as bad as most say. I honestly think other fighting game communities can be just as salty and toxic as some people on this site. Also, compared to Moba communities for instance, TYM'ers practically hug you every time you make a post.
TYM is a small part of the community.
Don't take this site as an example of how the community act, play and think.

DDutchguy

TYM is a small part of the community.
Don't take this site as an example of how the community act, play and think.
Most players probably don't even visit TYM or /r/Mortalkombat on reddit. Besides those, I don't know of many other places where the community makes their voice heard.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
I try to enjoy it, I like making combos and working out what characters do, and I will play online like once a week if someones online but after a few games win or lose I always just get bored of playing.
Nothings risky, dial-a-mixup strings into specials are boring, half the cast feels like they took 6 seconds to develop and never got polished, the mechanics in game arent even thought out properly (breakers, running, stage interactions) they keep dropping half assed money grab dlc, and they dropped the PC version without warning. I never feel like im out-thinking my opponent regardless of how many successful mixups I get or wakeup/stagger armour I block, just going through motions and flipping my coin.

Im not sure if NRS can make a good game, or just are experts at polishing turds.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Love Mortal Kombat, Love MKXL. Had the most fun playing Ermac since UMK3 :)

It makes me upset to see many people hating on this game as much as they do. The fundamentals in an MK game are always pushing the bar and trying a new approach so the 50/50 aspect might not stay in future titles but a 50/50 is really the only stigma people gripe about. Just because you got hit by a OH/Low into full combo, doesn't mean the game mechanics are bust. It seems to me that in all fighting games, you need to really guess whats gonna happen and make dem reedz anyways. Be it an anti-air, air to air, backdash, zone, armor etc, you will need to make the read. If you have the skill, you will dominate because if it was all just guesses and coin flips, surely it wouldn't only be a select few getting the top results consistently? It feels to me like a lot of people preferred MK9/IGAU because it was easier and they done better with them than they have in MKX.

For someone like myself who only got into the competitive side of the FGC last year upon MKX's release, I've had nothing but love for the game. (Maybe a little salt lol) The characters are polished and aesthetically pleasing, the variation system breathes new life into your old favorites and new characters, the ESL and all the grassroots tournaments with big prize pots, hype events and even a TV spot in America! MKX has done wonders in just over a year. I'm just really not ready for the game to die and for everyone to throw in the towel if/when IGAU2 comes out, whenever that may be. I still believe that a KP3 is on the cards, which would then come in part with another patch to hopefully tweak all the little things that need tweaked. Here's hoping.

So basically, I love the game, its all I've really played since last April and I'm always overly optimistic.

Id say no, balance decisions kills it for me. How long ago last beta was? I don't get why A-List, Mileena and other bullshit still don't get nerfed, i prefer to drop the game if its not fun for anymore.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
I used to love the game but now I just about like it. The main reason was coming to the realisation that the playstyle of the game is not what I want in a fighter. The second issue is how balance was handled as I feel the XL patch essentially flipped the table on the roster, when all was needed pre-XL was just minor adjustments across the board. I will still play the game because it is MK and I love MK but I can't help but feel that there is a sense of a missed opportunity for this game to be a truly great fighter.

My main problem with the game is the story mode, i can't accept the end of it, Shinnok can't be beaten with Cage Family Power, i never eat this shit. Also i dislike the protagonist like Cassie Cage and Jacqui Briggs.. Looks like a goddamn joke for me..

RM slacked

Shinnok trash from Canada.
I got over not having my favorite character (Kabal) and now I seriously love this game, I'll be going back if I don't like the next game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Long post incoming:

Yes and No. Lets start with the Yes.

The game was nicely drawn on paper, there are things that worked for the game and there are things that don't.

The training mode is a god send, some moves being extremely punishable when whiffing is great, presentation and animations were very aswesome, the variation system could work a little better, but when you look at it from a competitive stand point it just doesn't pan out, some of the concepts were mixed together and some characters ended up having overpowered tools with little no repercussions at all on their approach. , the initial idea was that this game would reward defensive players more for spacing correctly, which turned out to be the extreme opposite.

Jump attacks being as dumb as they are, huge hitboxes, being plus when blocked, hard to avoid and having priority over grounded normals.
As if this wasn't bad enough some characters have concealable hurboxes on those jumps, disjointed hitboxes, making it stupid hard to hit them out of the air, they don't even need to measure the distance, they come out from almost fullscreen jumps from afar on a range where his arm will reach you, but your grounded normal can't even touch the rest of his body.
Characters with fast OH and fast Low starters in one single tool set, and in addition to it, they have these type of jump attacks. This is the first aspect of this game that is totally wrong.

Some characters have full advancing strings, that hits mid stupid fast, covers too much range, auto anti-airs, can be special canceled, nearly no way to space out.
In addition to these above, some very same characters have insane walkspeeds to outspace someone with already bad walkspeeds and short limbs, insane run speeds, and disjointed normals either airbone, uppercut or advancing string, that are either safe, plus when canceled and hard to punish.

The exact same thing that happened to characters build around the same formula with jump attacks hapenned to characters with range.

The insane blockstun animations to moves that are minus:
This is for sure one of the things that imo, hurts the game alot, the idea of having an attack with risk that its doesn't allow for immediate punish after being blocked is just another reason to add randomness to the game, and many people end up getting away with murder, no one needs that.

Two different buffer inputs, one for when strings and hitting, and one for when strings are getting blocked:
Another idea that i would like to see totally gone, every single time i play with Kung Lao, who requires absurd speeds to perform his 11212 string, there are two different speeds to hit his most required string, and i'm forced to identify by frames if my opponent is getting hit or he is blocking, otherwise the string won't come out, there are many other examples that requires the exact same thing from its players, and sorry NRS, execution shouldn't never be accounted as random in any fighting game.

Knockdown game is awful
Don't even need to explain why.

Slow walkspeeds: This game has characters that shouldn't just walk as slow as they do, it doesn't help on a game with characters that can cover distance super fast while running + using advancing strings, IMO NRS should get rid of Superman F23 type of strings and very slow walkspeeds in general

Insane input storage windows:
Another thing that didn't went well with the game, some characters have command normals that share required movements in the neutral and it happens that the button he needs to press most of that time is also the button that uses a special he doesn't want to come out in that particular situation. This is for sure one of the things that killed the game mostly for me and started to make me worry less and way less about it.

Everyone has corner carry combos and the exact same type of knockdown offense into the exact same type of oki meaty game
There is almost no diversity of playstyle in MKX, every character that punishes you do exactly the same thing, it combos you into a corner carry into a knockdown, then it locks you in the ground with 50/50s, hard to blockables, oki games, almost everyone gameplan is exactly the same, there are almost no characters that beneficts from restand more, than a knockdown or having a midscreen neutral far more than corner lockdown. Sorry bad this took away all the fun of the game

Backdashes being what they are.
As some of you said, having the backdash tied to the stamina rule hurted a lot of characters with already pretty bad ones.

I wasn't that pleased with the roster and the story direction
Though this is more of a personal opinion, i gotta say, if Scorpion wasn't in this game with his 2 Hellfire and Ninjutsu variation i probably wouldn't be as hyped for MKXL, its not up to me for sure, but the way how NRS handed te roster wasn't satisfying at all, specially when they brought 4 guests in a MK game, i don't care what other people think, this guest BS needs to stop coming by MK games or at least needs to stop being shoved into Kombat Packs, if NRS is willing to continue to implement guests in their fighting games, we as community should stand together and ban guest characters from tournaments, to they get the Kratos treatment and no one gives a shit about them.

Low profiling D1 that is safe and mashable
Frame data definied by Startup over execution.

And last but not least, the ammount of fuckery on the balance decisions.
Undeniable, NRS did an amazing work with MKXL, props to the net code improvement, but across the board, some balancing decisions were very questionable, and from a company that keeps learning from their mistakes, i just hope they keep learning, and take more careful approach into how they handle things related the competitive scene.

Advice:
Again, this is nothing new to what has already being said, NRS needs to start establishing ground rules in their games if they don't want to have headaches balancing towards afterwards, its completely sad when a Dev that supposedly values everyone's opinion decides your post is full of shit, or someone just doesn't know what they're talking about, and the balanced decisions turns out to be knee jerk reactions, with laughable outcomes in some of them. Practice what you preach NRS, no character tool should ever break rules of what you've stablished, stop introducing individual and exclusive mechanics into DLC characters after realeasing the game with no character being designed with tools to stop those things.

I will forever be annoyed by how Triborg has delayable dial string like a tekken character while everyone else doesn't, and how Alien animation can avoid mids and overheads, fullscreen disjoined hitbox low or overheads that combos, these need to stop.

MK_Al

Noob
Reading this thread made me realise how balls some of you are lololol, a lot of the situations people complain about is on them, not the engine.
What exactly are you talking about? I'm open for different point of views. Who knows, you might open my eyes to things i don't realize yet