What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn Discussing the Viability of Blood God and Sun God

Belial

Noob
I read a lot of posts in here with crazy setups and reasons why BG and SG might be viable someday
So I want KK community to give up on them and just focus on War God for the sake of everyone, so that KK sees more crazy setups and more tournament play.

The two things that determine character sucess in FG are ability to force a reaction and ability to punish
1) Ability to force a reaction is a lot of things.
- You character has a good/safe mixup? This means your opponent just cannot allow you to get close and will be throwing things out.
- Does your character has that + on block normal that you can spam over and over again (see pre-patch Kano) until your opponent finally decides to try something
- Do you have a zoning move or far reaching normal that pushes your opponent back, so that he has to take some kind of risk to approach?
- Maybe you have nothing but a string that builds a lot of meter and leaves you safe to try again? Well your opponent definitely doesnt want to block it too often does he?
- Do you have a powerful armor move that keeps your opponent at check all the time, afraid to throw moves out?

Basically do you have ANY means of annoying your opponent?

2) Ability to punish is not just block punishment. Its an ablity to profit from a good read. You want to be able to extract damage from correct guesses and you want that damage to grow with the amount of effort it took to make that read (if you had to take a high risk, reward must be also high). If you block a mixup - you gotta punish. If you read a poke - you want to profit from it too. Did you just backdash to let that swing fly by? Get them before they can block. Do you see them jumping? Please teach them that ground is a far safer place to be. There should be a conditions which set your damage going. You will try to reach those and your opponent will try to work around them.

Combination of those is what also creates a comeback factor, that would allow you to take a couple of bad reads/mistakes and still come up on top in the end, making good reads later on.

How does Blood and Sun god fair in these aspects?

1) SG and BG doesnt have good mixup. In fact BG has NO mixup at all, while SG has mixup that has obnoxiously bad RR and completely unreliable and risky block pressure (as you can only throw-cancel from pokes and thus every poke becomes a gamble), his zoning is a joke (well you can buff your sundisks into 30% projectiles but it will still be a god damn shitty 30% projectile) his pokes are decent but do not convert to anything, b/c KK totally fails at...

2) punishment. SG and BG just DO NOT profit from reads. Where WG can take a hard read and counterpoke with b14 (and hitconfirm it into and overhead starter) and take that 35%+ your best bet is 2-3% or throw into non-existant pressure and wakeups. Where WG has a strong armor that is also a deterrent against hard to AA jumps and crossups SG and BG has ... mace parry? the worst parry in the game probably?
Their only hope is an extremely setup-heavy situations which must be achieved first to work, but no tools to achieve them are provided, eliminating any means for comeback to these variations.

To at least hope to make those variations remotely playable major buffs are required and even then I do not see them winning, unless those buff would alter fundamentals I described above.

Apply these rules to any other characters and you will see why some are good and others are not.

Some buffs that might turn community eye to ketchup and mustard variations of KK are
- Better startup on sun disc and sun ray
- Doubled duration on BG totems
- Mace parry stunning opponent on successful parry into free combo (with 8 fr starup on normal version this is no way imbalanced and most MB armor move grant a combo, so its only logical to have this)
- WAY more health/bar regen for SG (I'm thinking 12% health per charge at least and 1 bar per charge)
- adjustments to frame data that would allow application of sun god throw off blockstrings (take a look at Erron Black 211 now back to KK - sadly, KK is not Erron Black)

Suggest your own buffs to make KK variations more viable

Last edited:

Agilaz

It has begun
I personally agree on improving frames for sun ray and to a lesser extent sundisk, as well as the bit about the mace parry.

Right now the parry is in a place where it NEEDS to be used for SG/BG to even play at full efficiency, let alone viability - but it's just too fucking difficult for too little pay-off. Have fun learning every single gap in every single string for every single character. A slight stun state for landing an 8f parry would be fair.

Belial,

Well thought out post. I think many players in the community are kind of holding out with the hopes that they are overlooking very technical mechanics that will make sun god and blood god better. However, I'm not convinced such thing exists.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Sun god is all about reads.

People have been calling this variation shit, unviable, mediocre at best and all that. But I want to step off of tier talk for a bit.

I can't classify sun god. He seems a solid but not complete character who rewards smart play and makes me feel as if I always have a chance to win if I play right. What happened to using footsies and baits to open up your opponent?

People overestimate matchups. I've been maining or switching to low tier chars in all 4 years I've been playing fighting games. A 6-4 is a 6-4, it won't kill you to play a couple. It's the 7-3s you need to worry about.

That is current "meta" Kotal. An extremely solid footsie character that is mediocre offline, godlike online. It will all change. Once people learn the matchup, they will understand how punishable this character really is, not letting people get away with random f2 or f1b2 etc

IF Kotal's buttons get changed to slightly less - then I think he would be an extremely footsie-wise solid character, if some additional changes occured, even better.

This is what I would give Sun god

BO goes away after 8 seconds when done normally, 16 when done from a ray, limit him to 5 HITS, not blocks.

F2 is -8

F1B2 is -9

Sun choke scales like 12-14-16 and is now considered 1 hit when it concerns blood offering. Current sun choke loses the buff because the entire command grab is regarded as a 6 hit combo, I recently played a match where a blood offering D1 tick throw into L3 grab rewarded me with a 17% throw.

Give EX parry a large damage boost, I shouldn't have to parry the 3-4 things he can, that wouldn be punished if I blocked them anyway, with a 40% 2 bar combo.

I think this would make Sun god a solid high mid character with just the BO/SC buffs alone. If you want to make him really good, give armour on ex air throw and enjoy.

Last edited:

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
Honestly I don't think Sun God is worth it but I don't play it enough, so who knows.

However, Blood God gets a free totem off of every 114 blockstring while remaining safe. This set up even has possible mace parry reversals (big damage). That just don't seem very low-tier to me.

I feel parry is not very rewarding and it doesn't put the enemy at a disadvantage. You get the damage buff yea but.....the opponent can still keep relentlessly attacking you. I would think that a defensive skill like parry would punish the opponent for attacking you, thus making them respect parry. However this does not happen.

I think what they should do is either cause the enemy to stagger when you successfully parry or instead of having a damage buff granted for each time you parry, you get a buff that decreases the start up time of your normal and special moves. I feel it if either one of those was implemented the risk of using it would be worth it.

Honestly I don't think Sun God is worth it but I don't play it enough, so who knows.

However, Blood God gets a free totem off of every 114 blockstring while remaining safe. This set up even has possible mace parry reversals (big damage). That just don't seem very low-tier to me.
Big damage with no way to land it in most cases. At most you can play rope a dope and try to bait your opponent into whiffing attack. But the penalty for messing up is severe. In addition to that, any competent player who knows how kotal kahn plays will simply rush them down. With blood god in particular, there is nothing to fear by doing a rush down.

You don't have to watch out for mix ups, armored attacks, special moves, nothing. Lately I've been questioning the design intentions of blood god.

Belial

Noob
The current damage buff off parry is pretty weak actually, you get something like 5% increase off most realistic combos you could get as a practical punishment. Idk why maybe the buff just fades off quickly or only applies to first couple of hits, however its a fact. Even triple parry combo numbers are not very impressive if you try it out as an actual punisment to actual strings.

Also blood offering damage boost isnt that impressive for combo damage. It is best used to buff single, damaging moves, like d2 or sun discs
Most of those huge numbers you see in combo videos for Blood God is achieved via totem, while parry and/or offering add a small fraction of it
In that regard Quarks suggestion to rework offering mechanics to last seconds rather than # of hits might be quite a buff

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I read a lot of posts in here with crazy setups and reasons why BG and SG might be viable someday
So I want KK community to give up on them and just focus on War God for the sake of everyone, so that KK sees more crazy setups and more tournament play.

The two things that determine character sucess in FG are ability to force a reaction and ability to punish
1) Ability to force a reaction is a lot of things.
- You character has a good/safe mixup? This means your opponent just cannot allow you to get close and will be throwing things out.
- Does your character has that + on block normal that you can spam over and over again (see pre-patch Kano) until your opponent finally decides to try something
- Do you have a zoning move or far reaching normal that pushes your opponent back, so that he has to take some kind of risk to approach?
- Maybe you have nothing but a string that builds a lot of meter and leaves you safe to try again? Well your opponent definitely doesnt want to block it too often does he?
- Do you have a powerful armor move that keeps your opponent at check all the time, afraid to throw moves out?

Basically do you have ANY means of annoying your opponent?

2) Ability to punish is not just block punishment. Its an ablity to profit from a good read. You want to be able to extract damage from correct guesses and you want that damage to grow with the amount of effort it took to make that read (if you had to take a high risk, reward must be also high). If you block a mixup - you gotta punish. If you read a poke - you want to profit from it too. Did you just backdash to let that swing fly by? Get them before they can block. Do you see them jumping? Please teach them that ground is a far safer place to be. There should be a conditions which set your damage going. You will try to reach those and your opponent will try to work around them.

Combination of those is what also creates a comeback factor, that would allow you to take a couple of bad reads/mistakes and still come up on top in the end, making good reads later on.

How does Blood and Sun god fair in these aspects?

1) SG and BG doesnt have good mixup. In fact BG has NO mixup at all, while SG has mixup that has obnoxiously bad RR and completely unreliable and risky block pressure (as you can only throw-cancel from pokes and thus every poke becomes a gamble), his zoning is a joke (well you can buff your sundisks into 30% projectiles but it will still be a god damn shitty 30% projectile) his pokes are decent but do not convert to anything, b/c KK totally fails at...

2) punishment. SG and BG just DO NOT profit from reads. Where WG can take a hard read and counterpoke with b14 (and hitconfirm it into and overhead starter) and take that 35%+ your best bet is 2-3% or throw into non-existant pressure and wakeups. Where WG has a strong armor that is also a deterrent against hard to AA jumps and crossups SG and BG has ... mace parry? the worst parry in the game probably?
Their only hope is an extremely setup-heavy situations which must be achieved first to work, but no tools to achieve them are provided, eliminating any means for comeback to these variations.

To at least hope to make those variations remotely playable major buffs are required and even then I do not see them winning, unless those buff would alter fundamentals I described above.

Apply these rules to any other characters and you will see why some are good and others are not.

Some buffs that might turn community eye to ketchup and mustard variations of KK are
- Better startup on sun disc and sun ray
- Doubled duration on BG totems
- Mace parry stunning opponent on successful parry into free combo (with 8 fr starup on normal version this is no way imbalanced and most MB armor move grant a combo, so its only logical to have this)
- WAY more health/bar regen for SG (I'm thinking 12% health per charge at least and 1 bar per charge)
- adjustments to frame data that would allow application of sun god throw off blockstrings (take a look at Erron Black 211 now back to KK - sadly, KK is not Erron Black)

Suggest your own buffs to make KK variations more viable
I agree with a lot if this, but I hate the title of this thread, because both Blood God and Sun God could EASILY be turned into absolute monsters with a few tweaks. There is a fine line between being painfully mediocre and being really fucking scary.

For Blood God:

1) Reduce recovery frames on Sun Ray/God Ray. (This is one of those moves that would be very easy to accidentally make OP, so NRS would have to be extremely careful)

2) Make F1B2 safe on block.

For Sun God:

1) Reduce recovery frames on Sun Ray/God Ray. (See above)

2) Buff the damage of all three levels of Sun Choke by 3-4%.

Done. I honestly don't think either variation needs any more than that.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I feel parry is not very rewarding and it doesn't put the enemy at a disadvantage. You get the damage buff yea but.....the opponent can still keep relentlessly attacking you. I would think that a defensive skill like parry would punish the opponent for attacking you, thus making them respect parry. However this does not happen.

I think what they should do is either cause the enemy to stagger when you successfully parry or instead of having a damage buff granted for each time you parry, you get a buff that decreases the start up time of your normal and special moves. I feel it if either one of those was implemented the risk of using it would be worth it.
Good point.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
That is current "meta" Kotal. An extremely solid footsie character that is mediocre offline, godlike online. It will all change. Once people learn the matchup, they will understand how punishable this character really is, not letting people get away with random f2 or f1b2 etc
This is SO true. How often do we see videos posted with people randomly throwing out F2s and F1B2s and getting away with it? Those will be punished harder and harder as the game evolves.

I agree with a lot if this, but I hate the title of this thread, because both Blood God and Sun God could EASILY be turned into absolute monsters with a few tweaks. There is a fine line between being painfully mediocre and being really fucking scary.
I think Kotal Kahn in general is a "extreme" character. You generally lose without doing too much damage to the opponent or you win by a large margin. Often there is not much middle ground. If I had to suggest changes:

Baseline special moves:

Reduce the recovery of sun/god ray

A successful parry now staggers the opponent

Blood God:

Blood Totem: fixed omg! And no longer vanishes when you take damage OMG!

Obsidan totem: In addition to the -34% damage, it now provides push back immunity

Sun God:

Lvl 1, 2 and 3 command grab's damage increased

Soul Scorch heal per level buffed

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Yes, totems are easy as hell to get out safely, but the fundamental problem is that really good players know how to block their opponents really, really, really fucking well when their opponents don't have any mixups. Blood God doesn't have ANY mixups (besides interchanging B2 and F3 on oki). Blood God has to be played extremely patiently, and as a Blood God player, one simply can not afford to miss any punishment opportunities.

In short, Blood God has constant, safe access to preposterous levels of damage because he NEEDS it . . . When he punishes, he has to kill.

As the weeks have passed, I have become more and more of a proponent for using Obsidian totem more frequently. By constantly using Obsidian totem, you prolong the match, forcing your opponents to have to hammer you more and more, and as a result, increasing the number of opportunities there are for them to make mistakes and for you to punish accordingly.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I disagree that blood god is bad right now. The pressure u can do with him is good into safe totem set ups that will give u 50% on a punish for 1 meter (not counting if u have blood sacrifice on) and with that same totem you get a good amont of chip damage or with a different totem you could take less danage and still have a punish be 35%. the "mix up" in this variation is when you are throwing the disc (he still has the low overhead mix up that with damage totem turns the safe overhead into something that deals a good amount of chip or like 15%for one bar)

So i disagree with you that this variation isnt good. But i do agree the mace parry should be better

I disagree that blood god is bad right now. The pressure u can do with him is good into safe totem set ups that will give u 50% on a punish for 1 meter (not counting if u have blood sacrifice on) and with that same totem you get a good amont of chip damage or with a different totem you could take less danage and still have a punish be 35%. the "mix up" in this variation is when you are throwing the disc (he still has the low overhead mix up that with damage totem turns the safe overhead into something that deals a good amount of chip or like 15%for one bar)

So i disagree with you that this variation isnt good. But i do agree the mace parry should be better
Perhaps you haven't fought anyone who has absolutely no respect for kotal kahn. A opponent literally has nothing to fear from blood god, other than damage. In fact, they are doing themselves a disservice by not rushing down blood god. Because all it does is give bg the opportunity to buff up and maybe land a attack.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
my only issue is risk/reward on sun choke and lack of a safe footsie string (would like to suggest b14 be made safe in this situation). At his core, Kotal's just really unsafe for an already-risky character; most of his footsie strings are combo punishable, which forces him into a more defensive role even when he has a lead.

Sun God is a solid idea, but you can tell that NRS did some major changes because they thought he was too strong; as it is right now, I'm pretty sure his Sun Choke has the worst frame data of the command grabs. I would actually be okay with the low initial damage if its recovery were vastly improved to be on par with other grapples of its type (as a reference Jason's grapples recover in <20 frames while being about the same speed, and both move him further forward, whereas Goro's is 7 frames and appropriately has 49 recovery frames for its speed ((twice as fast as Kotal's)). A much faster recovery would make the lack of damage output acceptable since he'd be able to use it more liberally; of course, the EX should probably do more damage. I agree with Qwark's idea to make Sun Choke count as one "hit" in the case of Blood Offering -- you just don't get enough out of it for taking out a tenth of your life bar.

Kotal in general feels like he's been heavily tweaked based on how clunky stuff like f1b2 can feel, the abysmal recovery on Sun Ray, etc. I think his sun disc is "fine" -- he doesn't need nor should he probably have a fast mid-hitting projectile, especially one that leads to frame traps and chip if EX'd, and I kind of like the massive + frames and would miss seeing them go. His parry needs some work because it's a little silly that you can parry a move on read and still get blown up if it's something that hits multiple times before you can recover and punish/block/backdash lol.

Outside of maybe differentiating his variants a little better by putting spins on his universal kit, there's not much other than universal improvements that will push him up to a high standard.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Perhaps you haven't fought anyone who has absolutely no respect for kotal kahn. A opponent literally has nothing to fear from blood god, other than damage. In fact, they are doing themselves a disservice by not rushing down blood god. Because all it does is give bg the opportunity to buff up and maybe land a attack.
Ive played plenty of ppl who have had no resect for it and its tough until i get one hit and then i even up the score with big damage. It only takes one combo with blood god

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Isn't this the same reason Jin sucked in Tekken 6 and Tag 2? He NEEDED to master parries in order to be viable at best?