What's new

"Death to All" YOMI REO Wins Atlanta Kombat Arena #12

@YOMI MITYEAP
You're mournful is really nice. Just a question. Why don't you end in staff grab? It does the most damage and greats a meaty glaive after.
Be careful with f112 glaive there's a gap.
If you need a combo off EX db2. It's EX db2 Air GLAIVE run d1 Staff or EX db2 Air GLAIVE shadow kick.
And almost any hit air glaives in the air at mid range you can run up d1 Staff or shadow kick.

I hope you Rep her at evo. I know you'll do her well.
thanks for the tips, appreciate that and she will be my second character at evo so there is a solid chance she'll see action. Also i should end in staff grab more often, i just like the full screen carry from shadow kick.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Eh, Shinnok is extremely negative as @D. R. pointed out.
Well, let me quickly dispute this dumb talking point and many others before they disperse to the Shinnok forum, the entire community, and eventually Cowboy, who will incessantly reiterate them, thereby slowly driving everyone in the Skype Illuminati insane.

f+4,1,d+2 xx dark beam is -4 on block and leaves you slightly out of range of many low pokes. f+4,1,d+2 xx EX hell sparks is +14 on block and can be looped as long as you have meter. These two strings will be used 90% of the time, which begs the question, how are -4 with slight push back and +14 "extremely negative"?

Another dumb talking point that I have read is "Shinnok requires meter to be any good" when f+4,1,d+2 xx dark beam builds 1/3/rd of a bar and does 4% of chip damage. Dark beam is also one of the best projectiles in the game in terms of start frames, total recovery frames, traveling speed, and block and hit advantages. If you try to threaten Shinnok with a projectile from any range that is not full screen, you will get launched on reaction, lose 30%+ of your life, and guess afterwards. If anything, Shinnok builds meter moderately fast and prevents the other character from doing the same.

lol anything Reo touches becomes OP.
Why even bother nerfing it?
REO has had absolutely nothing to do with the development of Shinnok. If anybody were to receive credit for putting the character "on the map", it would most definitely be D.R. But I think most people who pay attention knew Bone Shaper was going be very strong as soon as they read the patch notes.

You guys seem to all be in support of exactly what caused the problems in MK9, because its going to happen in MKX.

Sure MK9 had some bad characters but most of them WOULD have been viable if not for the fact that the top tiers completely crushed most of the mid tier and all of the lows. A character like Bone Shaper Shinnk completely crushes a lot of the mid and low tier. Yet, much like MK9, all people want to do is point out how the other top tier can fight him. What you guys are saying is that its ok for a lot of characters to get destroyed as long as a few other top tier characters can beat it.

I dont care if D.R. makes some guide to beat shinnok.. Lets not forget all the guides in early in MK9 pointing out the "holes" in Kabal, Kenshi, and Cyrax.

Leave it or normalize it, not my decision. However, how dumb would it be to be here 2 years from now saying "the mid and low tier are still great characters its just that most of them get crushed by some of the top and more common characters". This is exactly what all of us who come in to test wanted to avoid.

Either way, I'm happy to see @REO find his character right in time for EVO. Such a smart player who I think could have won at least one or more majors by now if he had a character he really liked. I also look forward to seeing what he does with Predator.

Last edited:

SaJa

FH_FenriR
REO is every bit as good as Sonic Fox, EB just isn't his style like it is Fox. Also, EB is absolutely top 10.
A top 10 character would have been more present in tournament. I don't see EB anywhere when Sonicfox (the guy that can shine whatever the character he plays) isn't playing him.

Also, hearing you guys, there are like 20 characters in top 10

And I don't think Reo is as good as Sonic. He doesn't win that much since Kabal and I believe igau and mkx are a bit more balanced.

A top 10 character would have been more present in tournament. I don't see EB anywhere when Sonicfox (the guy that can shine whatever the character he plays) isn't playing him.

Also, hearing you guys, there are like 20 characters in top 10

And I don't think Reo is as good as Sonic. He doesn't win that much since Kabal and I believe igau and mkx are a bit more balanced.
More balanced? After a major like CEO where top 16 was 90% Temp KL and Tanya..

Also, REO doesnt need Kabal or anything like Kabal to win. He is a great player and insinuating that he needs such an advantage to win I find laughable.

Last edited:

SaJa

FH_FenriR
More balanced? After a major like CEO where top 16 was 90% Temp KL and Tanya...... Sounds like MK9 to me
You picked up one example which is the worse, because Tanya just came out in DLC, so obviously we have this risk of overpowered stuff until next patch when a DLC comes out. But in mk9 you had like 4-5 characters in every top 8 from the EVO until the end (Cyrax, Kunglao, Kabal, Sonya).

For mkx it's already a bit better, but the patch are not over yet.

Both characters got nerfed. Please spare us the negative energy because you're still hung up on Sub-Zero.

(In be4 this has nothing to do with Sub-Zero. I've changed my style. I think Sub-Zero is good. etc...)
I didn't even mention SZ, what the hell are you talking about. Can you stifle the hate you've had since MK9 for just 5 min please..

Some of these top tiers can only be fought by top tiers, they completely destroy most of the mids and lows. Much like MK9, we downplay play characters that do this by bring up a few characters (also in the top tier) that fight or beat them so "they're fine". Lets not wait till 2 years from know we say "oops.. "x" character kind of crushes most of the mid and low tier", whihc is all im saying.

I'll end it here... In MK9 I was the only guy playing a low tier who not only consistently made top 8, also traveled to a lot of the majors while playing a low tier (something every other player that played such a character did not do because they'd rather not waste their money). The entire time I was told that many of these mu's that I thought were ridiculous were in fact close to even and I just had to level up. Years later, after spending god knows how much attending tournaments, I hear "yeah... it was pretty unfair and a lot of those mu's were borderline unwinnable". I don't think any game that gets patched this much should even have one 3-7 mu, let alone multiple ones. If you and other want to ignore any and all red flags then fine. I'll be done with these issues till we revisit things 2 years from now.

Shadow316

You inspire no fear.
Both characters got nerfed. Please spare us the negative energy because you're still hung up on Sub-Zero.

(In be4 this has nothing to do with Sub-Zero. I've changed my style. I think Sub-Zero is good. etc...)
And both are still really good. Please spare us this pointless post that's basically just to take a shot at Brady.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
@Tom Brady : do you think NRS needs to patch some fondamentals ? Like not the characters but the priorities, stamina or stuffs like that ?

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
No, this is the opposite : when something is OP, Reo is going to play it.
Kabal, Kunglao (mk9), MMH, Tanya, Bone Shaper. He tries Erron Black but Reo is not sonicfox, so obviously no result because EB isn't top 10.
I think you missed the part where he placed second at EVO with Mileena... And almost beat PL's pre-patched Lao lol....

Sure Reo only does well with OP chars... Inj kids man.

coolwhip

Noob
And both are still really good. Please spare us this pointless post that's basically just to take a shot at Brady.
Yes, I believe that was the whole point of nerfing them. You don't nerf a character with the intentions of making it shitty. You want them to stay good but less ridiculous, which is what happened with KL and Tanya. Characters being good doesn't mean the balance is as terrible as MK9, which is what Brady insanely implied in his original post.

Please spare me the baffling logic.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Aye, it's like 5 am and these dudes be arguing on a fighting game forum.

Anyways, BoneShaper Shinnok is ridiculously good and was probably buffed too much with that special cancelable F22 grab. If the in game frame data for dark beam was correct then maybe people would stop saying "I don't think he's top 10" or "He needs meter to be safe". But REO is also ridiculously good, so it's no surprise why he's able to show why Boneshaper is too OD now.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword

I honestly don't think what Tom is saying has anything to do with how he feels about Subzero. I think his concern do have merit. I can understand where he is coming from.

coolwhip

Noob
I didn't even mention SZ, what the hell are you talking about. Can you stifle the hate you've had since MK9 for just 5 min please..

Some of these top tiers can only be fought by top tiers, they completely destroy most of the mids and lows. Much like MK9, we downplay play characters that do this by bring up a few characters (also in the top tier) that fight or beat them so "they're fine". Lets not wait till 2 years from know we say "oops.. "x" character kind of crushes most of the mid and low tier", whihc is all im saying.

I'll end it here... In MK9 I was the only guy playing a low tier who not only consistently made top 8, also traveled to a lot of the majors while playing a low tier (something every other player that played such a character did not do because they'd rather not waste their money). The entire time I was told that many of these mu's that I thought were ridiculous were in fact close to even and I just had to level up. Years later, after spending god knows how much attending tournaments, I hear "yeah... it was pretty unfair and a lot of those mu's were borderline unwinnable". I don't think any game that gets patched this much should even have one 3-7 mu, let alone multiple ones. If you and other want to ignore any and all red flags then fine. I'll be done with these issues till we revisit things 2 years from now.
Please stop saying "much like MK9." There isn't anything in this game that is as terrible as Kabal, Kenshi or Cyrax. Nothing. I don't even think the balance is that great for now (but I think it will be eventually), but to make MK9 comparisons is absolute lunacy. And yes, I think much of your salt has to do with your character being nerfed.

I have no idea where and why you suddenly came up with this talking point but let's be real. I find it hilarious how you always preach to "let the game breathe" but suddenly feel you've gathered enough info in a couple of months to compare this game to knowledge we've acquired in 3 years of playing MK9. Come on.