What's new

"Death to All" YOMI REO Wins Atlanta Kombat Arena #12

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Tuesday has come and gone in Atlanta and that means another episode of the Atlanta Kombat Arena. This AKA would be the last before EVO meaning that everyone would be looking to go out on a high note before the world championships where YOMI is hoping to take home the grand prize. 22 players participated this week with all the usual notable names in attendance. Who would be victorious in the last few days before EVO?

Some early notable matches included Kush defeating Xenomorph 2-1 as well as MIT falling to REO 2-1. Top 4 would settle down to be DJT vs REO in winners and MIT vs Slayer in losers. Denzell would take the initial set against REO 3-1 to advance to grand finals while Slayer fell to MIT 3-1 as well. This set up a clash between MIT and REO to see if one could dethrone Denzell who has been unbeaten since CEO. A close 3-2 set would insue where REO used all Bone Shaper Shinnok and MIT swapped between Kitana and Scorpion.

Reo would now get the runback against DJT. Both players began grand finals in a mirror match with Shinnok. Shinnok has definitely been putting his place on the map as of late with his top 8 finish at CEO (D.R.) and a few local wins across the scene (Mustard at EGP, Gunshow at TTT). It seemed destined that if both players kept the mirror going that AKA would also be won by the great sorcerer. The first match would be excruciatingly close with REO winning after cornering Denzell for the last moments of the match.

Denzell would chose to swap characters giving hope to the idea of another character winning the tournament. Denzell decided to throw it back to TCW and give his Fisticuffs Johnny Cage another shot even after the nerfs. REO would show how to use Shinnok's great screen control to quicly go up 2-0 on Denzell. Another switch seemed in order, and this time DJT would select the character that won him AKA #11 in Jax. DJT was in full character roulette mode and it seemed that REO had him on the ropes.

The switch would prove fruitful for Denzell after the 3rd game where Denzell used EX dash punch as a conditioning tool to make REO fear the long range space control that had worked so well thus far. Game 4 began with Denzell going straight to the armor well again forcing REO onto his back foot. Denzell would push on in the round going for the win only to get met by a wake up MB sparks by REO. MB sparks is much faster on startup and caught Denzell when he hesitated to pressure REO on wakeup due to Shinnok's armor. Denzell would smother REO in the corner to even up the rounds. The final round started with both players at full meter meaning each player had to be cautious. The round would wind down and Denzell would look to be in control and get to a point where any armor would kill REO. DJT went on for the kill after REO just sat back only to be met with...AN XRAY. An unbelievably good move by REO as he was then able to hit DJT on knockdown because of an accidental delayed wake up to deplete his lifebar and cause a bracket reset 3-1!

Starting over, Denzell would take us back even further than the Johnny Cage pick by picking his oldest main SUB ZERO. The Grandmaster has been known to come in at key times for Denzell like when he used him to finish the Grand Finals at CEO. The first game would go back and forth until the final round where Denzell again was on the brink of taking it only to be stifled by excellent reads on REO's part. Denzell would stick with the Lin Kuei and give the Grandmaster one more run out. REO would win the first round and try to go stylish again at the end of the 2nd when he barely missed with yet another X-ray. In round 3, Denzell would use EX ice bomb on multiple occasions to dissolve REO's zoning attempts and would close out the round by locking REO down in the prison that is the corner when playing against Sub Zero.

All tied up and heading into game 3 each player seemed to be comfortable with how the set was going. Denzell would strike first in the third game but give up yet another chance to take the advantage by jumping into the corner late in the second round. REO would use a quick jump 1 to air to air and finish the round. REO would take most of the third round working on a flawless only to drop a late combo giving DJT the ability to slide and save some of his pride. REO was now up 2-1 and on the brink of taking his very first AKA and ending the streak of the current champ.

Denzell would finally decide to pick his true main in Tempest Lao to attempt the comeback of 2 games. DJT's initial pressure and pace would be a nice changeup as he took the first round of game 4. REO would fire back with a few tricks of his own. The final round would put REO on tournament point and Denzell struggling to stay afloat. Pressure would exchange between the two for almost the entire round until Denzell was forced into the corner. REO would finally go to his overhead after using the low tirelessly to open Denzell up. REO decided to throw thinking a breaker might come (even though Denzell didnt have the bar). REO would then simply use sparks and MB them followed by another set to chip out Denzell and take the set 3-1 giving REO his first AKA win!
:REO:REO:REO:REO:REO:REO:REO

Congratulations to REO and thanks for all those who tuned in for the action.

Grand Finals Video

Make sure to tune in to EVO this week with pools happening on Saturday for Mortal Kombat. YOMI looks to have many of the favorites for Top 8 as the tournament is only a few days away.

Top 8
1-REO
2-DJT
3-MIT
4-Slayer
5-Forever King
5-Saltface
7-Forever King jr.
7-Zyphox

Full Results can be found at http://challonge.com/mkx71415

Youtube Playlist

Last edited:

D. R.

Noob
The lack of damage optimization is disheartening by Reo and DJT. This character should always get an easy 30%+ with one bar into restand, anywhere on the map off virtually everything. Also, LOL at the lack of knowledge on the character by Yomi commentary for the most part. "Plus, plus, plus..." Lmao, man you dudes make him seem S-Tier. Smh Come on now guys.

The lack of damage optimization is disheartening by Reo and DJT. This character should always get an easy 30%+ with one bar into restand, anywhere on the map off virtually everything. Also, LOL at the lack of knowledge on the character by Yomi commentary for the most part. "Plus, plus, plus..." Lmao, man you dudes make him seem S-Tier. Smh Come on now guys.
So youre saying that Shinnok is even better than how they were playing him?:eek:

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
Like @Pig Of The Hut noted on commentary its more about making sure that you use the 10/10 rule than making sure you add 2-3% per combo. REO was just doing the combos that are most comfortable for him and it seemed to work just fine for him.

Having optimized combos should almost never be substituted for strong gameplay IMO.

D. R.

Noob
So youre saying that Shinnok is even better than how they were playing him?:eek:
Damage and set up wise? Yes.
Frame wise? Lmao Fuck no. He's plus off MB HS and three pokes that no one uses. Every thing else, negative. Start mashing.

Like @Pig Of The Hut noted on commentary its more about making sure that you use the 10/10 rule than making sure you add 2-3% per combo. REO was just doing the combos that are most comfortable for him and it seemed to work just fine for him.

Having optimized combos should almost never be substituted for strong gameplay IMO.
I heard the commentary. The combos have no skill barrier, that's the thing. It's almost like they are designed to work a certain way now to guarantee the optimum combo every time, EX:

f41d2 xx hell spark MB(3rd HS), dash, NjP, f221+3 xx bf1 = 31%

You can't fuck that up at all and it's hella hit confirmable. Also, the corner combos... But I digress, everyone will play how they see fit so I respect it but will critique if I think a player can do better.

Side note at @Pig Of The Hut since I've heard you say this a couple times now, MB Hell Spark is used on wake up because it is 7 frame start up versus normal HS being 13 frame start up and with a second bar is essentially a "get off the ground free and be plus" wake up. That's why Shinnok players use it.

I have BS Shinnok knowledge for days peeps. #upplayer

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Damage and set up wise? Yes.
Frame wise? Lmao Fuck no. He's plus off MB HS and three pokes that no one uses. Every thing else, negative. Start mashing.

I heard the commentary. The combos have no skill barrier, that's the thing. It's almost like they are designed to work a certain way now to guarantee the optimum combo every time, EX:

f41d2 xx hell spark MB(3rd HS), dash, NjP, f221+3 xx bf1 = 31%

You can't fuck that up at all and it's hella hit confirmable. Also, the corner combos... But I digress, everyone will play how they see fit so I respect it but will critique if I think a player can do better.

Side note at @Pig Of The Hut since I've heard you say this a couple times now, MB Hell Spark is used on wake up because it is 7 frame start up versus normal HS being 13 frame start up and with a second bar is essentially a "get off the ground free and be plus" wake up. That's why Shinnok players use it.

I have BS Shinnok knowledge for days peeps. #upplayer
Ah ok I thought i thought it was a Wakeup mash w MB on block but instead they get MB sparks . Cool to know

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Eh, Shinnok is extremely negative as @D. R. pointed out.

He's only plus on standing 2 (A very... Meh high that whiffs often.) and Standing 4 which isn't too bad but it's not a poke you'll be using compared to his d1, d3, d4 etc... I think b2 used to be plus but is now neutral, but it is a really good advancing poke that comes out fast.

I chalk it up to character unfamiliarity, because Bone Shaper is still rather new in a sense. Shinnok was rarely seen until this patch in anything but Impostor, and those were not common either.

Top ten? Good possibility. S-Tier? Hold on that for a bit.

D. R.

Noob
Top ten? Good possibility. S-Tier? Hold on that for a bit.
People would rather stay clueless and blame the character before they evitably lose at Evo then figure out how to beat him and realize his true placement in the tiers. Lol his weaknesses are so obvious!!! Oh TYM, you guys epitomize "level up." Fret not for after Evo the BS Shinnok guide will be avail for all, cause I'm a nice guy like that. ;)

People would rather stay clueless and blame the character before they evitably lose at Evo then figure out how to beat him and realize his true placement in the tiers. Lol his weaknesses are so obvious!!! Oh TYM, you guys epitomize "level up." Fret not for after Evo the BS Shinnok guide will be avail for all, cause I'm a nice guy like that. ;)
i dnt have him top 5 but he is no worse than top 10 in my book. I dnt mind the criticism of Yomi's shinnoks since there is always room to improve. Also i have a good amount of knowledge about BS shinnok, otherwise how was i able to stop your gdlk BS shinnok? :p but real talk i am looking forward to ur breakdown about shinnok for sure.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
@YOMI MITYEAP
You're mournful is really nice. Just a question. Why don't you end in staff grab? It does the most damage and greats a meaty glaive after.
Be careful with f112 glaive there's a gap.
If you need a combo off EX db2. It's EX db2 Air GLAIVE run d1 Staff or EX db2 Air GLAIVE shadow kick.
And almost any hit air glaives in the air at mid range you can run up d1 Staff or shadow kick.

I hope you Rep her at evo. I know you'll do her well.