What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
You know they don't care bout us with this stuff, how else can you explain our concerns about the "same" issues over and over and still be left with knee jerk treatment? Now test his ex command throws on strings and it whiffing because their hit box moves or something. Is that still in too?
I'm just annoyed. The saving grace for the b1 nerf would be a functioning 1(1) and s2 but now it's kinda ugh. Oh well commando is still looking strong.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
That video explains it now. I was fughting a scorpion and seems like everything missed him. I never could figure it out until this video.

ando1184

Noob
I'm just annoyed. The saving grace for the b1 nerf would be a functioning 1(1) and s2 but now it's kinda ugh. Oh well commando is still looking strong.
I'm annoyed too but about a lot of stuff and characters. At first I thought they were going the mvc route and just decided to get everyone something that made them a force to be reckoned with. But then they just decide to give EB more range on command grab with faster startup, QC has a 2 bar unbreakable combo that steals 3 bars of meter from opponent, kano's jump 4 hitbox is shortened, his b1 is nerfed, and blade slice scales, predator has extremely slow pokes that are still negative a lot compared to most of the cast who's pokes are only -3 or so now, HQT was also nerfed dmg-wise and to his plasma cancels while LK and JC kept their pressure and LK even got a huge buff to his D2 hitbox. Just stuff like this looks so random and out of whack balance-wise it makes me cringe. On the one hand they made it seem like they were really thinking about everything then on the other we see a final product that still looks incomplete and has gaping holes in areas. I know this is only day 1 & 2 of its release but most of this was in the beta and some of the things that would have made certain things pan out were taken out. But IMO the beta should keep going and they should constantly be trying to further balance this game. There's no sense in completely making certain variations unusable or a turnoff because other characters have exactly what they needed to begin with (I'm referring to the crazy zoning of leatherface, that clearly shoulda gone to cyber and by this I mean leather face shouldnt even have an over the top zoning variation because He's Leatherface! While Kano has always had a Zoning aspect to his play style in every game he's been in) I know NRS has to and wants to make $$$ off of this stuff but they also are supposed to be listening to the competitive side of things as well. But to me it looks mighty biased on that end since only the characters we constantly see at tournaments are the ones that get treatment or keep the shenanigans they got. Sorry for the rant guys but this is what they did in mk9 and in injustice and it turned me off because by the end the games still felt incomplete. If they didn't make that "this is the last patch comment" I wouldn't be blowing my top off but I think the game still needs constant work in the balancing part for characters. There's just too many inconsistencies.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Why we can't have a good thing! We must sacrifice 1 meter to get a command grab now on combo or on tick! Just when I was enjoying this new change, here comes the NRS police to kill it. That mean no continuous pressure doing B1, d4, ji4 ticks. If I understood correctly, they just kill all my joy. I loved Commando cause I didn't feel like I had to depend on meter. Why why why!
No you dont. You can still tic all low pokes and b1. Idk bout j4 but if b1 hits yoi have to spend a bar

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.

22 xx EnBall Cancel, Dash, NJP, Move Forward, B1, B1, B1, 22 xx Command Grab - 40%

That was from like 5 minutes of labbing, if I find anything else I'll put it in the combo thread.
I personally think 22 is the new b1. I still use b1 of course but 22 and b13 are soooo good.

Fresh900

"Cooler than a polar bear's toenails." #Outkast
I have to say before I got the update I was still holding out hope for Cyber, but it's really not even debatable at this point after playing a few matches (imo) - that's his worst variation now.
1.CT 2.Commando 3.Cyber
Enjoying playing Commando tho. #BuffCyber

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
This is kind of a bill unless they're out of meter where it becomes a legit guess. It's kind of a double edged sword if they don't know the matchup because if they take the second hit of f33 BOTH the knife and the grab whiffs (unless EX'd). Knife isn't safe per se but it's hard to punish AND you can EX it for plus frames. So you know, enjoy yourselves

i use to like playing commando but i have to say that i am in love now. after taking sometime in the lab with him i have to say thanks god they remove his ability to combo the regular grabs on hit because he would have been brain dead easy win.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Ran a set last night against buddy playing konjurer alien. Dude's generally better then me at FG but the set was 11-22 his favor. I missed a lot of conversions jus trying to play with kano's changes and due to general rust (had one round where I got 4 D4s in a row trying to get armored grabs). I did the best just playing super lame to get around the Eggs and the Skydrop bro, plus alien's mixup is pretty fuckin nasty and he has some real good normals. Parry doesn't seem to counter his wakeup armor(unless it just has a lot of SU and the active frames were too late to be parried) but D4 will make it fly over you (sometimes will hit once but they can't convert).

The new commando is definitely a lot of fun to play. Even just having more adv on choke is huge for me, let alone now having 22 for more dmg/footsies and b1 tickthrow. It's unfortunate that he still has little in the way of meterless punishes though.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
The new commando is definitely a lot of fun to play. Even just having more adv on choke is huge for me, let alone now having 22 for more dmg/footsies and b1 tickthrow. It's unfortunate that he still has little in the way of meterless punishes though.
He makes up for it by reversal command grabbing on their minus frames.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
New string has pretty sick corner carry

(You need to rc into the second 22 for optimal carry. Sometimes you have to do 11 11 112 instead of 32 11 112 for better reach. Maybe even some b1 combo. Still pretty good)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
A cool (pun intended) thing in the CSZ MU is that if you get trapped in the corner with a 1112 ender and an ice bomb you can power bomb outta there. You're in the air when the bomb explodes so you get out for free on a good read. Pew pew.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
If you land b1 into command grab meaty on their wakeup you don't get a tick throw. Doesn't happen often but it's kinda annoying