What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Not sure how viable this will be after the patch but here's some corner gimmicks I've been trying out. Nothing ground breaking but with changes coming I thought I might as well record it. Some of it is more concept than anything but you get the idea

Tick after command grab (works on hit as well)

NJP combos (I usually get these after a block choke. A lot of people want to use the -frames to jump out but INJP usually gets them)

Quick stand setups

Fresh900

"Cooler than a polar bear's toenails." #Outkast
Update on the beta. (So I heard) Hate to say it, but I heard there are no more command grabs on hit in Commando anymore. Somebody tell me this isn't true. Just when you think the sun is shinning lol..

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Why we can't have a good thing! We must sacrifice 1 meter to get a command grab now on combo or on tick! Just when I was enjoying this new change, here comes the NRS police to kill it. That mean no continuous pressure doing B1, d4, ji4 ticks. If I understood correctly, they just kill all my joy. I loved Commando cause I didn't feel like I had to depend on meter. Why why why!

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
commando is still significantly improved. he doesn't need the normal grabs on grounded hit, he still has the mixup using EX because the EX c.grabs will combo. He also got actual advantage on choke, the 22 string and the IAB overhead. You're misunderstanding about the ticks. We should still have all the old ticks without having to expend meter. The example they gave in the cast was just a guaranteed way to get a grab (unless they NJP or backdash after blocking I assume)

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
commando is still significantly improved. he doesn't need the normal grabs on grounded hit, he still has the mixup using EX because the EX c.grabs will combo. He also got actual advantage on choke, the 22 string and the IAB overhead. You're misunderstanding about the ticks. We should still have all the old ticks without having to expend meter. The example they gave in the cast was just a guaranteed way to get a grab (unless they NJP or backdash after blocking I assume)
Okay. As long we have ticks I'm straight. Well that makes sense then. We still have good pressure even if they blocking.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Tick throws on hit and whiff were broke AF, it's a good thing that they changed it to how it is now.

Also could someone check if 22 Ex ball cancel 22 Command grab still works?

Fresh900

"Cooler than a polar bear's toenails." #Outkast
It's still a little strange as to why NRS would even mess it after the changes they had already made with him. Let's just be honest, there's not a lot of us Kano mains out there - at least I don't see that many online anyway.. #BuffCyber needs to be our new hashtag ha. I'm not asking for much, just a touch more damage and he would be fine...imo

kantboy-2

Ripper
Paulo said that to be able to establish the tick throw/ hit to MB throw they had to first establish the tick/hit into throw thing. It's mainly to do with the engine.

Seriously, just getting more tick throw options and being able to MB throws on hit is more than enough. Commando is a beast. Can't wait to match up against Jason after March 1st. Should be fun.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Recently, I've been messing around with Commando a little bit in the lab. I'm considering picking him up. He's pretty fun.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Well one thing is for sure I'm happy about are the tick throws staying. On block we can still do everything we normally do. On hit we must commit to spending a bar.

The beta spoiled my ass with all the on hit grabs wothout bar. So I feel like my toys been taken and being grounded (days long ago). But I will get over it soon, he still feels powerful since people tend to block alot so tick throwing will be in play more.

For BnBs I usaully just so the normal corner combo b3, 2,1..1,1..3,2 grab for 32%

The 42% hit is still using the awkward look wood cippper ex into string by the corner.

I do like the new 2,2 since i can now do wood chipper into b1 2,2 grab for some easy converts.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
It's still a little strange as to why NRS would even mess it after the changes they had already made with him. Let's just be honest, there's not a lot of us Kano mains out there - at least I don't see that many online anyway.. #BuffCyber needs to be our new hashtag ha. I'm not asking for much, just a touch more damage and he would be fine...imo
Exactly! You dont see no playing Kano cause everyone too busy tier whoring. So i would still like Beta Kano on hit grabs still. And please NRS#BuffCyber!

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Well, you can always do B1xxthrow or B13, and if it hits cancel into throw, if it doesn't cancel into choke/EX knives. The time it takes to realize B13 hit is more than enough to confirm. It hits Cyber more than Commando to be honest

So what's the new bnb with commando post patch?

Should still be [STARTER]xxBF3EX dash NJP RC 32 112xxThrow

Derocus

'The Cage Mage'
Far as I can tell, boys. 22 is too slow to use in combos a lot of the time, and I do land it, it's the same damage as the combo it's replacing :v
For example: 321+3EX, b1, 22xxComGrab is only 32% like the last combo I used to use (321+3EX, 32, 112xxComGrab)
However, 22xxExBallCancel, 22xxThroatHug is a bit more damage than the 112 version. I can't remember the numbers atm

Last edited:

ando1184

Noob
Far as I can tell, boys. 22 is too slow to use in combos a lot of the time, and I do land it, it's the same damage as the combo it's replacing :v
For example: 321+3EX, b1, 22xxComGrab is only 32% like the last combo I used to use (321+3EX, 32, 112xxComGrab)
However, 22xxExBallCancel, 22xxThroatHug is a bit more damage than the 112 version. I can't remember the numbers atm
22 seems to just be a way for our combos to scale less. For instance our standard bnb is 112 ex ball cancel, dash njp, rc 32, 22 command throw. This does 37% instead of the 35% we normally got with 112 command throw at the end. I think 22 is there ,more or less, as a "get in" tool over over dealing more dmg to combos. But this is only day 2 now so we have time to flesh it out.