What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
The only thing I honestly want is for his command grabs to have higher priority. So like you stated, a lot of the time when I EX rib break to beat enemy pokes it might whiff due to their moving hitbox or something. Grabs feels like they should have some priority to stuff some stuff that you just get shit on for trying it. Though maybe their thought is that all Grabs should be off of ticks and juggles to guarantee the dmg.

His zoning is still strong just not as powerful as cyber. I doubt choke will change. Making choke have better frames on block wouldn't add anything to his mixup since it would still just be a high hitting blockable move. if anything choke needs some sort of new positiong property or to give us more advantage to start an oki game when it hits. He doesn't need any more safe pokes I don't think.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I think having choke be safe(r) on block would be amazing. If i could have that AND have f33-choke work on hit id be in heaven Itd be SO GOOD lol

Tbh i think hes pretty fine the way he is and even though im not great as him hes by far my favorite character to be

FlappyDaniel

I definitely agree that I would like to see choke be a useable move eventually, I just don't know if they'll change it.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Curious as to what you guys think command kano needs in an upcoming patch. I think commando is kanos worst variation.

He doesn't have the zoning/pokes/meterless damage that cyber has - and cutthroat just seems like a better version of commando. Both mixup heavy, similar neutral, but the damage reward and safety cutthroat gets for his mixup is much higher.

What I would change to make him viable:
Make choke 0 to slightly negative + increase the damage by several % (this move is one of the worst in the game.. give it some use, it will add an added dimension to commandos mixup).

Make armor command grab whiff less/give it a better hitbox. - I think this might be a bug, but I'll do armor grab a lot of the time, absorb the opponent hit, and the grab will just whiff despite them being right by me. then they get a full punish.

Make ex ball cancel slightly faster or give ex ball slightly more hitstun - make his 1 bar BnB more consistent, especially when you drop the nj.p you are full combo punishable.- It's a joke compared to how easy cyber's BnBs are.

I mean I'ma keep playing this character no matter what cause he's so damn fun, so I'll make the most of him.. but he can definitely use some help.
Making choke safe would be broke IMO. You could just end all your strings with choke, be safe and go for a parry if you're feeling it. Sort of like all Laos do... Wait now that I think about it...... Nah it would still be broken.

Command grabs should not whiff as they do now. It's fucking annoying.

I don't think EX ball should be buffed and that would buff other variations as well. I would rather see a reworked variation specific string that pops up (when EX'd perhaps like cyber). Atm the Wood chipper string has no use because standing 3 is shit. Also I would not mind reworking EX parry in to pop up or something useful. Atm they're not worth the bar.

FlappyDaniel

There are some pressure sequences where I use standing 3, but you're right for the most part, it's booty. And the 32 are only good for juggle applications, the wood chipper is almost useless unless you get it specifically off a punish and you want them to switch sides.

Making choke safe would be broke IMO. You could just end all your strings with choke, be safe and go for a parry if you're feeling it. Sort of like all Laos do... Wait now that I think about it...... Nah it would still be broken.

Command grabs should not whiff as they do now. It's fucking annoying.

I don't think EX ball should be buffed and that would buff other variations as well. I would rather see a reworked variation specific string that pops up (when EX'd perhaps like cyber). Atm the Wood chipper string has no use because standing 3 is shit. Also I would not mind reworking EX parry in to pop up or something useful. Atm they're not worth the bar.
EX Parry is virtually useless (good against specific strings.. thats it), I forgot about that one - it would be nice to see some use for it.

The idea behind choke being safe is that it discourages people from jumping out/hitting buttons after stuff like b13 - which would open up command grab etc. You can parry after b13 now... it's the same idea, I don't see how thats broken. Not to mention you can duck the choke. This character's damage is pretty bad in most cases so I don't see why giving him decent options on block would make him that great. When your two main options are parry and grab.. most people are going to neutral jump and get a full punish off either one.

And yeah, they just need to make his BnB more consistent... I don't really care how they do it. When his goto punish does a whole 15% (b13 xx ball) and gives soft knockdown... you have a problem.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
EX Parry is virtually useless (good against specific strings.. thats it), I forgot about that one - it would be nice to see some use for it.

The idea behind choke being safe is that it discourages people from jumping out/hitting buttons after stuff like b13 - which would open up command grab etc. You can parry after b13 now... it's the same idea, I don't see how thats broken. Not to mention you can duck the choke. This character's damage is pretty bad in most cases so I don't see why giving him decent options on block would make him that great. When your two main options are parry and grab.. most people are going to neutral jump and get a full punish off either one.

And yeah, they just need to make his BnB more consistent... I don't really care how they do it. When his goto punish does a whole 15% (b13 xx ball) and gives soft knockdown... you have a problem.
112 choke is 20% I think lol.

112 ball is 19%... but for alot of things 112 whiffs because of its bad hitbox. so you have to use b13. cyber is the same way.. but you cancel b13 into laser into whatever for good damage.

I think ending in ball is way better for oki..... if you end in choke you get no oki

ando1184

Noob
Have you guys seen how jax can keep pressure by d4, gotcha grab over n over? That's basically the same thing if choke were to be safe on block. We could actually perform a little pressure to safely setup our command throws. Jax does the same thing in wrestler so no, I don't think it's asking a lot to make choke more viable and safe on block.

FlappyDaniel

Naw you're right. It would be a good tool to keep people flinching. Mix it in, or don't do it for a while and condition them to think one way or the other.

BigBiscuit

Just Blaze. YOLO.
I'm thinking of maining Kano. Cybernatic has the tools for heavy zoning and people have compared him to Guile/Sagat in Street Fighter. Anyone agree?

Does anyone have any thoughts of Street Fighter counterparts for Kano's other variations? I'm coming from a SF background so this really helps me better understand the character. Thanks!

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I'm thinking of maining Kano. Cybernatic has the tools for heavy zoning and people have compared him to Guile/Sagat in Street Fighter. Anyone agree?

Does anyone have any thoughts of Street Fighter counterparts for Kano's other variations? I'm coming from a SF background so this really helps me better understand the character. Thanks!
I think the general discussion will grant you more answers. Cyber is generally considered his strongest variation though

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
I still like that Idea of making Choke plus on block. Fuck it, if I can't have B1 at +2, give me Choke at +2! Also, a 1 frame teleport and air grabs

Fine jeez, I'll take -4.

Last edited:

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
but not really good
It's fantastic at taking people out of the air. The downside comes from having no advantages to B1. You can choke for 11 percent then no advantage, or you can B1xxBall for more damage and advantage.

FlappyDaniel

well if you're getting an AA B1 chances are you can get more then just ball afterwards. You should be able to get a juggle in most situations right?

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Well yeah, I was just pointing out that the bare minimum on a B1 is better than Choke. You could B1 B1 B13xxdbf4 for example