What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
If b31 hits you should go for cancel into ex ball then njP combo. If you end nj.p combo with command grab you get hard knockdown and much more damage.

I think only use the 321+3 string if you want the side switch off a ground combo.. other than that I don't think its too useful

I think the njp combo is to hard to do (especially for me in tournaments) which is why i do it with a delayed command grab plus This way its meterless

I tried the command grab reset you posted - but people armor/jump through it so I don't use it unless I know the opponent doesn't know about it.

And yeah the NJ.P combo is really tough - I'm at like 50% consistency. Which is really bad, considering if you drop the Nj.p part of the combo you get full punished x.x. Hopefully they give him some better damage options.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I tried the command grab reset you posted - but people armor/jump through it so I don't use it unless I know the opponent doesn't know about it.

And yeah the NJ.P combo is really tough - I'm at like 50% consistency. Which is really bad, considering if you drop the Nj.p part of the combo you get full punished x.x. Hopefully they give him some better damage options.

Which one? The cross over j4 into command grab?

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I think he might mean just the OG combo after the EX ball cancel where you dash up and N.jp to extend and you can end in a command grab after whatever fill, Usually involving B1s lol. It is pretty fuckin tricky, Cancelling the ball ASAP and getting the NJP to come out ASAP on the Nj are the hardest parts though, and thats just a rhythm thing to get used to, I'm not super consistent on it either, but I've seen what having that tech on point in all of Kano's variations can do at NLBC so I'm still workin on it.

@imblackjames Yeah the 32 (reset) j.4 into command grab, people jump out of that shit all day on me. Not to mention if you do the j.4 too late they can actually armor through the j4 and get a punish (depends on character of course). I've done stuff like j.4 then b1 to catch the jump out... but still i like the guaranteed damage better.

@Flappy - Yeah. I think the hardest part is that the timing for the EX ball cancel depends on which string you cancel it from (b12 xx ex ball cancel has a different delay than 112 xx ex ball due to how strings are buffered) Can cyber do nj.p after ex ball cancel? I've never seen it done.

FlappyDaniel

Yeah, that's Coach Steve's main source of conversion damage. AAing people and mid screen EX ball shit. Seems like universal tech for Kano.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
@imblackjames Yeah the 32 (reset) j.4 into command grab, people jump out of that shit all day on me. Not to mention if you do the j.4 too late they can actually armor through the j4 and get a punish (depends on character of course). I've done stuff like j.4 then b1 to catch the jump out... but still i like the guaranteed damage better.

@Flappy - Yeah. I think the hardest part is that the timing for the EX ball cancel depends on which string you cancel it from (b12 xx ex ball cancel has a different delay than 112 xx ex ball due to how strings are buffered) Can cyber do nj.p after ex ball cancel? I've never seen it done.
Yea its very gimmicky. Thats why u d3/d1command grab right when u land it'll catch jumps and still grab them. And if they start armoring out just block or parry. Thats been working for me. Hope any of it helps :)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
What strings do you all use? I tend to spam the shit out of b1/b13/b13 knives/b13 grab/b13 command grab. Haven't really found any use for others. I know f4 has good range but it's unsafe and doesn't set up for command grab. B31 is good in the corner but midscreen I prefer b13. They shouldn't really be blocking high anyways

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I actually never use b13 even tho i know i should be lol b31 is my jam mid screen. Its safe and leads to really good pressure. And ive been using f33 on wake up if timed correctly itll break some peoples armor Plus it tick throws on block ans will catch jumpers besides that i uses f4 to catch back dashers on my oki

FlappyDaniel

2F4 is really good for spacing
112 should be your goto punish most likely since you get 19% for free off it or if you wanna burn meter you can extend.
B1 is like sooooo good. B13 is ok though I tend to only use the full string for filler in juggle, B1 pressure combined with D4s at max range and knives really fuck with peeps.
F4 is amazing of course, especially since you can link it into kano ball for free if it hits so any time F4 hits you should be getting at least 15%
32 is ok but not really for footsies, the range on the 3 is booty.
Of course B312 and B31 staggers + command grabs or poke pressure is really good too.

edit: F33 is probably my least used because it's so slow, but I do like to use it when people are at max normal range actually. The second hit hits slightly farther then the first I think and can catch people is situations.

saelig

Noob
Wakeup OS (d3/d4 xx OS EX command grab) doesn't work against some reversals that parry will on opponent wakeup. So it does have a little use ;).

Also the good thing about doing d3 OS ex command grab on their wakeup, is if they delay tech, you can still meaty them without fear of a reversal, as the d3 will recover before they wake up.

Also if they take the hit after the OS, you can OS the next hit so it will essentially be a true block string.

Example: d3 xx OS EX command grab (input b31). On block you get d3 into command grab, on hit you get d3, b31. This is because the command grab animation eats the b31 input.
How do you perform this? I can't get the b31 to go off on hit.

FlappyDaniel

Idk... other then maybe on Oki and really rarely I just really don't like F33, the range is mediocre and the frame data is pretty ugly. It's punishable on block (-8) and the first kick is -5 if you do only it. Just kind of a booty move all around IMO.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Idk... other then maybe on Oki and really rarely I just really don't like F33, the range is mediocre and the frame data is pretty ugly. It's punishable on block (-8) and the first kick is -5 if you do only it. Just kind of a booty move all around IMO.

The reason i use it is because it tick throws and the opponent cant jump out which theyll all try to do a couple times and get grabbed

What main jump in and cross up are you all preferring?

I've been going for a lot of ji4 ticks in command throw. I think I need to start using ji1 and ji2 more.

Also, what do you do after you connect b31?

Last edited:

I've been going for a lot of ji4 ticks in command throw. I think I need to start using ji1 and ji2 more.

i use j3, its the faster kick, goes down deep and has good range. does not have the risk of whiffing the grab on hit like jips.

after connected b13 i do command throw or another b13

After b31... you can hitconfirm into ex ball -> full combo. on block go for command grab.. or b31 or b1 or cancel into ex knives or block or jump back (react to something with ex ball) or nj (to bait grab/ some reversals) or jump forward and continue pressure. They are all good options you just have to mix it up.

Curious as to what you guys think command kano needs in an upcoming patch. I think commando is kanos worst variation.

He doesn't have the zoning/pokes/meterless damage that cyber has - and cutthroat just seems like a better version of commando. Both mixup heavy, similar neutral, but the damage reward and safety cutthroat gets for his mixup is much higher.

What I would change to make him viable:
Make choke 0 to slightly negative + increase the damage by several % (this move is one of the worst in the game.. give it some use, it will add an added dimension to commandos mixup).

Make armor command grab whiff less/give it a better hitbox. - I think this might be a bug, but I'll do armor grab a lot of the time, absorb the opponent hit, and the grab will just whiff despite them being right by me. then they get a full punish.

Make ex ball cancel slightly faster or give ex ball slightly more hitstun - make his 1 bar BnB more consistent, especially when you drop the nj.p you are full combo punishable.- It's a joke compared to how easy cyber's BnBs are.

I mean I'ma keep playing this character no matter what cause he's so damn fun, so I'll make the most of him.. but he can definitely use some help.