What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero Changes You Feel Sub Needs?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Honestly if they took out that stupid tech grab clone setup in the corner I would be down to make EX clone not shatter, or something along those lines.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
The better question is why do they continue to go on for eternity?
That kinda was my question just worded differently.

Now allow me to make a suggestion to the OP and everyone else here for a sec, f/o with these threads for a bit, aight?

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
I'm just surprised that people are asking for buffs for Sub-Zero after that one nerf that only effected one move in your arsenal. The character is currently in the top 10 due to having excellent normals, corner pressure, basically 50/50's that you cannot fuzzy block, as well as anti-rush down with the clone.

The only reason that the clone shatters on block, is because that giant wall prevented a large portion of the cast from doing anything but wait helplessly as Sub-Zero built up a ton of meter before he finally decided to move in.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I'm just surprised that people are asking for buffs for Sub-Zero after that one nerf that only effected one move in your arsenal. The character is currently in the top 10 due to having excellent normals, corner pressure, basically 50/50's that you cannot fuzzy block, as well as anti-rush down with the clone.

The only reason that the clone shatters on block, is because that giant wall prevented a large portion of the cast from doing anything but wait helplessly as Sub-Zero built up a ton of meter before he finally decided to move in.
No but he needed it you don't understand!!!

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
I mained Sub since mk9. You are crazy op. Sub-Zero is a beast. He needs no buffs. Please just be quiet and lets all be happy with what he still has.

Edit: Please don't speak for the Sub-Zero community.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
guys they changed it to clone shattering on block on purpose

that's what the point was

they are not just going to randomly change it back because you don't like it

sorry other characters are allowed to have options

Wigy

There it is...
So I'm making this thread in hopes NRS or the community can gather opinions on changes to better guide Sub Zero in future updates with rational reasons as to why.

Currently GM just got a major nerf that seemed needed to some degree...however poorly executed as overkill in a lot of minds. Prior it also seemed GM was far superior to the other stances due to stronger neutral, set ups, and even damage (in corner). So here are my thoughts on changes to the variants (and yes currently they're all buffs as he no longer has any OP attributes I can see).

Grandmaster: I personally would like to see the clone not shatter on block...however since this seems to be the direction they want, I feel the hitbox needs to be improved or another effect applied. Sub doesn't have great mix ups, so clone was a way for him to apply pressure, he can no longer do that in the same way as many characters can easily poke him through it and now enter full pressure strings as though it wasn't there.

• Improve the hitbox - Prevent some moves from being able to get at Sub such as Raiden's electric fly that has EXTREMELY inconsistent results with going through clone or getting frozen. Sub should have to keep his distance to hide behind clone, but currently some disjointed hitboxes are absurd and can reach him on what is essentially a long recovery move if it's not doing its job.
  • Knockback on block shattered clone - If Sub Zero blocks, clones shatters and all nearby characters are knocked back slightly. So if Sub blocks, both characters will likely push apart and be at neutral frames.This gives the opponent an out, but doesn't let them not respect it entirely to establish an offense, as is the case now (D'vorah wrecks clones now)
Cryomancer: Cryomancer only offers a few things over GM: Better midscreen damage, standing reset, and d2. Aside from that the other moves really only play a part in combos. Once in corner GM out damages Cryo and clone set ups are stronger than standing resets. His big sell is consistent damage and easy execution, but he still has the linear play of Sub Zero with no real neutral advantages over the other variations, he needs stronger mixups. (don't get me wrong b2 is great, but this variations feels like it needs more of an edge).

• Improve Hammer recovery - Hammers are too easy to block on reaction since they're slow and currently only the EX~hammer has practical use in combos and situational armor instances (often slide and shatter are better options aside from combo conversion miscreen). If you make hammers safe, Sub now has mix up pressure.
  • Increase drop speed of air Hammer and make it safe on block - This move is currently way too slow and unsafe for practical use. It really has no use aside from some very high risk/low reward shenanigans. I feel it needs to be faster to make it useful as an air movement cancel and, if BOTH hits are blocked, should be safe (should definitely NOT be safe on just the ground hit).
  • An overhead string or move - Aside from hammers, Sub could also use more overhead moves to open opponents up (we already got lows). 111 currently seems like an unoptimal combo filler with no real neutral purpose (correct me if I'm wrong), possibly retweek that to be a mix up string.
Unbreakable: My issue with this variation is that it is the lowest damage by far and you lose EX~smash, which is an awesome tool to armor through moves like jump ins (which do not get countered). The defensive buff and counters don't seem to make up for the low damage output and lack of pressure mixups.

• Counter works on aerial attacks - It's far too easy to make jumps at this variations to avoid the counter, which is the main sell of the variation. This will help gain more hits to offset the linear neutral options.
  • Improve aura recovery - If you improve the recovery you could make more moves useful as pressure tools to cancel into aura and keep applying pressure. Since it is a long activation, it offsets the ability to abuse it repeatedly. You could also potentially up combo damage in corner if a move can cancel into aura and continue the juggle.
Post your thoughts and opinions. This isn't a forum to cry over nerfs/need for buffs, it's merely to post observations and argue their validity (for all I know Unbreakable could be a secret top tier with unexplored tech I'm unaware of).
What do u mean he has no mixups or overhead b2 and b3 are first hit low and highs.

I don't see how you could possibly be asking for GM buffs in any way. Adjust the derpy hitboxes i'd agree but aside from that leave GM as it is. Subzero has plenty of great options right now. Clone is probably the best special in the game.

These buffs you're asking for just make me think you want him to have NO weaknesses. Characters HAVE weaknesses, subzero is a beast as it is, don't be stupid. Hes more likely to get nerfed than anything

So Xbox One finally got the patch, so I finally got some time to look at how different the SZ matchup in grandmaster is (playing as sonya).

Alot of the complaints were due to ice clone setups and the fact that they disappear after a jip that he's now "forced to block."

Well, prepatch, sonya could ALWAYS JIP over a clone setup and if it was blocked, she never got frozen; she'd just walk through it. That was dumb. Afterthe patch, the clone indeed goes away, but the result is exactly the same.

these types of situations unleashed a shit storm of compaints saying that SZ couldn't just backdash and allow a jump in to land on the clone because a divekick could catch and punish the backdash. It seems to me that alot of people just accepted these claims as fact and never really tried it. Because well, I used clone setups and attempted to punish a backdash by immediately jumping over the clone and divekicking. Guess what. No she fucking can't.

Andromeda

I am Bard
I just have only complaint and that's in his Cyromancer variation. Just make the hammer move a bit faster and that's it.

It's not terribly slow like his ice nugget in Mortal Kombat vs DC, but it could use an oomph of speed.

Other than that, I really have nothing else to complain about.