What's new

Born On a Monday -- Solomon Grundy General Discussion/QA/Combo Thread

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
My problem when using Grundy is that you can not dodge any interactable period.

If I'm gonna get hit by an IO anyway I just armor through it so I don't lose position. The WCC is your best friend, though you still take around 3/4 of the full damage (I think, haven't had consistent results). Depending on the recovery of the interactable and how far away they were you can sometimes get a good punish. The corner water IOs in Atlantis are almost useless against Grundy, WCC means they'll eat a full corner combo.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
If I'm gonna get hit by an IO anyway I just armor through it so I don't lose position. The WCC is your best friend, though you still take around 3/4 of the full damage (I think, haven't had consistent results). Depending on the recovery of the interactable and how far away they were you can sometimes get a good punish. The corner water IOs in Atlantis are almost useless against Grundy, WCC means they'll eat a full corner combo.
stilll
regardless of the tool... thats still at least 10% gone. You can only WCC through them so many times... and you can't even get a decent punish every time.
The price of having 3 hit armor.

Can we ask for an AA throw buff.... so it has the same ground area hitbox that Supermans does? So it doesn't whiff on weird angles? That'd be nice.... and would solve most of the dive kick problem against BA. I'd probably stop bitching about it so much if that happened.

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
The anti-air grab? It's already one of the only consistent anti-airs in the game and has 5 frame startup, I don't think it really needs a buff lol
I feel you on the BA divekick thing though, it's freaking annoying if he spaces it right.

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
What is the best stage for Gundy and wtf does he do against Superman
I like Atlantis, the slab/globe are slow enough to dash up and WCC through them if it's obvious the opponent's gonna chuck one at you, but you can still use them off a MB WC. The corner IOs, which a lot of people rely on to MB and get out of corner pressure, don't save people from Grundy like other characters too.

Against Superman there are 2 mindsets you have to cycle between. If he has trait you just have to block his pressure and avoid his lasers. If he doesn't have trait on then you can punish his fullscreen aerial lasers with a quick dash into WCC at the cost of about 8-14%. If he's abusing F23->Breath you can MB Trait in between it, or WC/WCC.
I'd suggest going with the Health chain for the matchup. Kal-El can do a pretty decent amount of damage compared to the rest of the cast (except us of course lol), and a lot of his fullscreen game is avoidable. Power chain isn't bad, just Health chain prevents so much damage, especially from the MB lasers. Like when you crouch block the first hit and don't change your block quickly enough to block the overhead MB followup.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
What do you do against Green Arrow's wakeup special that takes him airborne and makes him shoot an arrow? WCC through it and punish maybe?

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
If they wanted to, they could just allow Grundy to chain into any of the chains and just change what he says. That would be a sweet buff
It'd be interesting too. You could combine them like 1X Health 1X Power. The only problem would be the animations looking weird. Going from the Health chain dribble into Power chain tombstone would look kind of odd.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
It'd be interesting too. You could combine them like 1X Health 1X Power. The only problem would be the animations looking weird. Going from the Health chain dribble into Power chain tombstone would look kind of odd.
I'd love to be able to mix and match the chains

cuz i'd always have chip trait and power triat going unless I wanted a huge chunk of damage.

HE NEEDS IT!!!

BTW... atlantis is by far his best map. No respawing things. They're all slow and have long recoveries. Trading 15% for 50% is ok if it happens one/twice

not 4 to 5 times tho (metropolis and watchtower and themyscara port and stryker island yard)

I just wish they all did the same amount of damage, my decision should be based solely on which one I want, but a lot of the times I find myself going for defence simply because it does the most damage of the 3. Although I guess that was part of the design, since they all leave him at varying distances from the opponent, do varying amounts of damage, and in the case of the power chain x1 even switch sides with the opponent, I guess you could look at it that you should take a lot more into consideration than just which buff you are getting.

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
Trading 15% for 50% is ok if it happens one/twice
I'll trade 15% for 50% as many times as they want.
Metropolis Rooftop is an good stage for him against ground-based gadget characters like Nightwing but most of his bad matchups can take advantage of the robots better than he can.

What about the giant pendulum on ferris airlines? I don't think he can duck that shit, least I tried to duck it and got a face full of pendulum for my troubles.

BurdManJR270

Bigg Burd
What about the giant pendulum on ferris airlines? I don't think he can duck that shit, least I tried to duck it and got a face full of pendulum for my troubles.
Thank you for bringing this up. You actually can crouch it from virtually any distance and it will whiff if the character doing it is a gadget character. However, if they are using a power character, you can only crouch it when you very close to them or just a step shy of full screen. Any distance other then those then those and it will hit you regardless of crouching or standing with a power character .

FigJ

Noob
I think Superman is much easier than Black Adam...I actually know what to do when I fight against Superman, but against Black Adam sometimes I have no clue. lol.

Great matches from Tyrant :)

Same here. I've gotten better against zoning Superman users, but BA is ridiculous. Luckily I heard they just recently made his dive kick more punishable. :)

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Same here. I've gotten better against zoning Superman users, but BA is ridiculous. Luckily I heard they just recently made his dive kick more punishable. :)

Unfortunately that never happened, his divekick remains unchanged

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
If we WC through a divekick can he escape the grab? When moves hit armor they count as "blocked" for the frame data. Deathstroke only fires 3 rifle bullets, Scorpion backflips out of his teleport, so maybe BA has increased recovery time?

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
If we WC through a divekick can he escape the grab? When moves hit armor they count as "blocked" for the frame data. Deathstroke only fires 3 rifle bullets, Scorpion backflips out of his teleport, so maybe BA has increased recovery time?

No, he can backdash without any problem if you do WCC and WC doesn't grab him because he is considered airborne

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
I love Grundy, but lets be honest here: He's a matchup fighter, nearly all grapplers are. He gets shut out by a lot of various things. If you go up against Superman, pick a non-Grundy character, force him to change, then switch back to Grundy and wail on his next character.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Doomsday matchup?