What's new

Average APM for a Hi-Level fighting game player?

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
APM in fighting games is irrelevant IMO. sometimes the best option in some match ups/situations depending on the game is to just hold on down/back or the guard button and wait.

Apm is actually relevant. How fast one can input the commands for an Ultra in Street Fighter affects what moves they can punish the opponent for, and in that sense, a difference of just 1 or 2 frames is substantial.

Though Street Fighter is one of the few fighting games that actively seek to hinder the player by requiring excessive input without any buffer. Most other games, apm wouldnt matter.

I think a better calculation for fighters would be inputs per second, or inputs per half second, or even smaller etc.

Or something that also factors in reaction time.

Pros dont like to admit it, but how fast they do inputs does affect whether they can successfully AA with a shoryuken-input or not.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
From the human side of things, ulta/super startups would be problematic.

edit: I'll take that sentence out, didn't want to be derogatory.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
(korean is 450)
That's pretty much peak APM, and it's not the one that is impressive average APM still being high without anything spammy that causes it to peak is what's great.

Anways, it heavily depends on the game, I believe. Mashing buttons in some airdasher will show more impressive numbers than playing, say, SCV with some characters that's it.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
That's pretty much peak APM, and it's not the one that is impressive average APM still being high without anything spammy that causes it to peak is what's great.

Anways, it heavily depends on the game, I believe. Mashing buttons in some airdasher will show more impressive numbers than playing, say, SCV with some characters that's it.

as an SC5 player i feel that there is a lot less dead air than in any 2d game i play. with that being said, i am the biggest turtle ever in 2d games and i like to go ham and force you to block shit and put you in shitty situations in 3d lololol. but a lot of the people i see turtling in 3d end up moving around a lot and whiff punishing

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
as an SC5 player i feel that there is a lot less dead air than in any 2d game i play. with that being said, i am the biggest turtle ever in 2d games and i like to go ham and force you to block shit and put you in shitty situations in 3d lololol. but a lot of the people i see turtling in 3d end up moving around a lot and whiff punishing
Perhaps I'm wrong about SCV, that was just my impressions that people playing this game provide stupidly high APM while inputing most moves, what's with their complexity, but also have some downtimes inbetween. Now thinking about it, SCV wasn't good example of FG with relatively low APM involved. Okay, I should've just brought our recent MK mathces where we tried to outlame each other lol :)

EDIT: Anyways, I'm very interested in results of some actual measurements, if there will be any. Let the world know what discipline is the most mashy :p

davidovitch

In Europe!
APM can be interested for statistical analysis of fighting games. Already people started discussing what games had higher average APM. Or if you compare two player's APM with the same character you'd learn something about their styles (or you could just watch them play :p).

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
As a cyborg player I have 4 actions every 10 ish frames (1/6 a second). (Instant air fireball is up left right 1). So that's is 24 actions a second and 1440 actions a minute :)
1400 APM = pro cyborg spammer?

You're ready to take the belt from the Koreans.

SaJa

FH_FenriR

450 for starcraft : brood war, apm or eapm is still skill. When you rise 200 units, bashing keyboard will slow you down while a korean can still play properly doing so ;) and it's not useless in order to move your entire army on reaction.

A noob can easily get 500 apm the first 2 minutes spamming but he will get 90 once the real game starts (9min). A korean will still have 450 after 1 hour game. It's like piano.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
This thread is hilarious. "I know APM is meaningless in a fighter." Well, what the fuck did you make the thread for then, bright boy?

Imagine what the APM would be for a C.Viper player lol
Not any higher than anyone else? Viper play isn't any more button pressing than other characters, it's just speed and precision of inputs. Highest SF4 esque APM would be a Honda or Gen player simply due to the fact that every cancelable poke is already buffered behind 4 other subsequent inputs (Or more if EX Hands is wanted). So that person can whiff 10 jabs and it's counted as 50 actions or more. Which, is about maybe, less than 5 seconds? What about a guy mashing an ultra in a blockstring. Did his APM just skyrocket to a heavenly level because he wants a reversal on a tight string?

Realistically a top level player would have a lower APM due to precision in controls and motions. Less useless inputs and more meaningful decisions.

Reactions: zaf