What's new

Average APM for a Hi-Level fighting game player?

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
Has this been studied? Starcraft players are famous for their 300+ APM scores.

If we consider each individual movement an 'action', so a double half turn ultra in SF for example would be 13 inputs : b bd d fd f b bd d fd f PPP.

Is it fair to consider a qtr turn as 3 (4) movements? d fd f + (p/k)

What is the APM of our EVO players?

I'd imagine you'd get wildly different results depending on what game you're looking at, and then what character in those game.

SF seems like it'd be a baseline game, because it's generally slower-paced, but you're always shuffling back and forth.
And then, of course, there's KoF, where you're never not mashing out a trillion inputs a second.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Without a software you can't know how much apm we can possibly have.

I had 155 on starcraft :D (korean is 450)

I think for fighting games apm doesn't mean shit. You just need to do the executions properly, and having a good mindgame & knowledge.

From there, I guess a noob has a better apm than a pro simply because he will mash his pad for trying to have good results. :/

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Without a software you can't know how much apm we can possibly have.

I had 155 on starcraft :D (korean is 450)

I think for fighting games apm doesn't mean shit. You just need to do the executions properly, and having a good mindgame & knowledge.

From there, I guess a noob has a better apm than a pro simply because he will mash his pad for trying to have good results. :/

Starcraft separates APM and EAPM. My EAPM is around 70, my regular APM..lol..it's like 100+ (oh, and I'm a shitty silver Terran player, so its not a good measure of skill I guess. x.x)

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
I had around 300 apm in Warcraft 3, which was relatively slow compared to most professional players. Fighting game apm would be extremely slow, especially considering most button inputs are reactionary.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Starcraft separates APM and EAPM. My EAPM is around 70, my regular APM..lol..it's like 100+ (oh, and I'm a shitty silver Terran player, so its not a good measure of skill I guess. x.x)

Yeah, I'm protoss diamond :> But starcraft 2 is more casual, you can get good results with 90. That's why I gave up this game.

miloPKL

I'm certainly aware APM=\=skill. I just wondered. And you could know without software, you would need handicam or in the case of streetfighter, just watch a replay with Input Hud turned on and count.

Out of interest of course. I think it interesting. Guilty Gear and Blazblue would be high apm in terms of fighters i imagine.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
APM is an in game calculator that is used in RTS games. The way its calculated is really wonky and I don't even know if it can be applied to FGs.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Has this been studied? Starcraft players are famous for their 300 APM scores.

If we consider each individual movement an 'action', so a double half turn ultra in SF for example would be 13 inputs : b bd d fd f b bd d fd f PPP.

Is it fair to consider a qtr turn as 3 (4) movements? d fd f + (p/k)

What is the APM of our EVO players?

Starcraft players APM is inflated due to them click dragging in between actual actions to keep their apm high. So the bulk of that 300 is them literally clicking and dragging nothing. This isn't knocking them they are still amazing, but watch them and you will see this

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Also Starcraft is a totally different ball game. They use that to control troops/upgrade maneuver as fast as possible, we do combos by muscle memory and timing. If you do a combo too fast it may screw it up. So sometimes APM might be totally useless in a fighting game where timing and juggles are involved.

miloPKL

APM is an in game calculator that is used in RTS games. The way its calculated is really wonky and I don't even know if it can be applied to FGs.
record hands/watch replay with inputs on
count actions
?????
profit

its a no brainer.

miloPKL

OMG I KNOW WHAT APM IS AND HOW IT IS CALCULATED AND WHY IT IS SO HIGH FFS

you idiots. i still love you tho.

I asked two damn questions none of you have answered. They were what is/could be the apm of a high level player
is it fair to call a circular movement as 3 actions

i know yall want to talk down and make judgements like the kings of logic you are but apm could easily be calculated. it has no application, well done geniuses of TYM.

i dont have the handicam info of any matches because it likely doesnt exist. i cant watch replays with inputs on because im on mobile. so in before "hurrrr if its so easy do it yourself". so many negative nancies "oh it has no application / oh RTS games are so different bla bla fucking bla" IDIOTS

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
OMG I KNOW WHAT APM IS AND HOW IT IS CALCULATED AND WHY IT IS SO HIGH FFS

you idiots. i still love you tho.

I asked two damn questions none of you have answered. They were what is/could be the apm of a high level player
is it fair to call a circular movement as 3 actions

i know yall want to talk down and make judgements like the kings of logic you are but apm could easily be calculated. it has no application, well done geniuses of TYM.

i dont have the handicam info of any matches because it likely doesnt exist. i cant watch replays with inputs on because im on mobile. so in before "hurrrr if its so easy do it yourself". so many negative nancies "oh it has no application / oh RTS games are so different bla bla fucking bla" IDIOTS
I honestly think you have anger problems. BREEEEEEEEEEEEEATHE

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
if you were to do apm like an rts, every single action would count. So yes, each direction in a motion would count. any button press etc. No clue how much it would be and I really think the ranges would be to far spread out to have any type of consistency. These are my answers to your original post :p

Starcraft players APM is inflated due to them click dragging in between actual actions to keep their apm high. So the bulk of that 300 is them literally clicking and dragging nothing. This isn't knocking them they are still amazing, but watch them and you will see this
I believe they do this to keep their movements as fast as possible after the downtime. Like it is more difficult to switch on hyper speed when you need it if you're currently operating at a much slower speed because you're waiting for units to come in or whatever. I do the same thing just to keep my movements fast when I switch back to doing something. On the OPs question, I'm not sure what the APM would be for a player--maybe do Kabal IAGBs for 10 seconds and see how many you do...that would be 4 actions per IAGB, and multiply that out. Maybe something like 2 per second, so 8 actions per second would be 480APM. I imagine that would be like the highest number possible. So with that maybe between 200-300 for a regular match? I would say that every direction should count as an action.

AYSAMO

Noob
I had around 300 apm in Warcraft 3, which was relatively slow compared to most professional players. Fighting game apm would be extremely slow, especially considering most button inputs are reactionary.
wait you had 300APM in fucking WC3? why lmao. That kind of APM was really only necessary in BW. I don't even think you need more then 250 to play SC2 at high level right now, and it's faster then WC3.

But yea, APM is probably irrelevant in most fighting games. It's only measured in RTS games because the faster you can build your barracks or research a tech, even by a nano-second before your opponent, you have the advantage. Fighting games aren't a race, it's a lot more like chess and less like trying to solve a trap in the movie Saw like RTS games are.

zaf

professor
I do not think apm really matters for fighters.
There are tons of situations where you can literally be nothing and that is the best thing to be doing in that situation.

At least with rts games, you should at least always be doing something.

EDIT:

Shooting a hadouken would be 4 actions in a street fighter game.

Down, Down Forward, Forward + Punch

because you use those movement options outside of specials, I am sure an apm calculator would separate them and calculate them differently. The APM calculator does not really know that you are shooting a hadouken or just moving and whiffing jabs. So I can imagine it working as such.

Average APM per match for a high level player could vary depending on the match up and depending on the game.

miloPKL

can i clearly state for the record one more damn time that i know apm dont mean jack shit for fighters and u should stop projecting that here because i didnt even think about implying it and you certainly cant infer that from the op. now that 50 people have pointed that out redundantly let us carry on without inhibiting the thread further.

i dont really agree there are many times in a fighter a player will be totally neutral for more than a second. even defending you will need to block high and low and prepare for tick throw counters or alpha steps or parrying like sf3 and so on. if you can be neutral for more than like 1 second i would presume the enemy is also neutral and what is the point of that? standing in opposition looking at each other? one should probably be moving for spacing or footsies or attempting to zone if you are at range and apm could be high in moments of rushdown and zoning. think about sagat fireballs for example you can do like 3 or 4 in a few seconds and that would be 4 or 5 actions per projectile depending on EX attacks for example. if a throw is lp+lk thats 2 inputs / actions