What's new

Question Ask Smoke Thread - Have Any Question? Post It Here!

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
It would only be worth it for something like...

they have no meter and have about 30% life left and you have like 2 hits left on your life, but full meter. Armor with the X-ray, take the hit, and punish with a BnB to win the match.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Hoho,time to bombard w questions!

Whats smokes AA options
Fastest pokes in MK right?
What to do after blocked b23 3d12
When to tele
How to keep pressure when needing
How do i best utilise poke xx smoke bomb
how do i escape good footsie pressure
How do i best utilise smoke away and towards

thank you.

standing 2, 2(1)4, d1, sweep.
No.
b23 - smoke away or d1. 3d12 - smoke away or d1 or throw.
After a knockdown to get free oki on your opponent.
Pokes.
Conditioning.
Better footsies. All else failing, EX Shake/EX smoke drift.
Running away. You almost never want to use smoke towards, it's extremely unsafe.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
standing 2, 2(1)4, d1, sweep.
No.
b23 - smoke away or d1. 3d12 - smoke away or d1 or throw.
After a knockdown to get free oki on your opponent.
Pokes.
Conditioning.
Better footsies. All else failing, EX Shake/EX smoke drift.
Running away. You almost never want to use smoke towards, it's extremely unsafe.
2 to d1 smoke bomb as AA?

Thanks!

hardwire

Noob
EX smoke towards is vulnerable on startup. The point of an X-Ray cancel is for the armor to take hits you normally couldn't and dash in and "punish". EX smoke towards is going to cross you up and in many cases put you outside of smoke's range, even a b23 might be iffy.

It's a shenanigan and that's about it. Doesn't really warrant discussion.
na man i cant see any one justifying burring 3 meters just for armor

hardwire

Noob
It would only be worth it for something like...

they have no meter and have about 30% life left and you have like 2 hits left on your life, but full meter. Armor with the X-ray, take the hit, and punish with a BnB to win the match.
if they have 30% health and you get them to hit you why not fire the xray and kill them with the 37% damage

and b4 you can say they can block they can still block if you dash cancel it.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
if they have 30% health and you get them to hit you why not fire the xray and kill them with the 37% damage

and b4 you can say they can block they can still block if you dash cancel it.
idk... was just trying to come up with an excuse to use it. lmao

um...

to show off? lol

hardwire

Noob
idk... was just trying to come up with an excuse to use it. lmao

um...

to show off? lol
sorry man if i came off as harsh im a little pissed at the miss information about smoke (not from you or any thing)

but no please dont try to use the dash cancel as many have said its useless (at least for smoke)

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
sorry man if i came off as harsh im a little pissed at the miss information about smoke (not from you or any thing)

but no please dont try to use the dash cancel as many have said its useless (at least for smoke)
you kidding? I would NEVER use it... I hate wasting my meter. I <3 my breakers. haha

I don't even use X-rays anymore, unless it's sub's and in a combo. lol

Like I said, just trying to make an excuse to use it.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You can use 2 > 2 > d1 xx bomb, 2 > d1 > d1 xx bomb, 2(1)4 xx bomb, or d1 > d1 xx bomb all as AAs. Standing 2 is generally better than d1 though.
is that all?i find it's very height dependant,if they're dropping down already there's no real punishment.

I play Sub,Shang and Scorp and am used to very good AA's.

Qwark28
2 > 2 > d1 xx bomb. 214 bomb is very easy and doesn't require you to hitconfirm, however if you mess up you're gonna get whiff punished for it. at least with 2 dash 2 your recovery will be a bit faster so you can at least block, assuming a miss.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Qwark28
2 > 2 > d1 xx bomb. 214 bomb is very easy and doesn't require you to hitconfirm, however if you mess up you're gonna get whiff punished for it. at least with 2 dash 2 your recovery will be a bit faster so you can at least block, assuming a miss.
I only 214 bomb online. The two standing 2's and d1 to ex bomb is pretty hit and miss online plus you are burning meter (even though it is worth the damage).

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Anti air 2 is simple and reliable, you can combo from it with quite a few things, easiest to go for 2 214, into smokebomb to any combo you like/can pull off.

For cross over punches and jump outs , you can d1 them really effectively when you got the timing down, and when you land d1 you cna combo with d1 dash d1 sb, but judging by the height you sometimes need d1 d1 d1. its not too hard once you get it, and also because characters cannot duck the first few frames they hit the floor (not sure how many, but plenty enough ) you can b2,3 them as they land, into combo.

Anti airs from anywhere on the screen you can jump and do a telepunch which does a bit of damage, or do a ex SB that catches them into combo.

DirtyBalls

Banned
hey im wonder if anybody knows the advantages/disadvantages of these:

3d12 on block
3d1 on block
b2 on block
d1 on hit

sorry if im bothering, i dont see a list of smoke's advantages/disadvantages

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
3d12 is 0 on block (confirmed by Somberness)
3d1 is -1 on block (eyeballed by me)
b2 is 0 on block (eyeballed by me)
d1 is +1 on hit (eyeballed by me)

until somberness gets to Smoke and does a complete write up, this will have to do :(

since im a online player i usually rely on crossups because its hard to AA online..but i know any real player can blow me up and i really just wanna stop jumping altogether. i live in jersey and ive fought and seen a few VSM guys at salty battles and Apex and AA is freaking natural for them almost looks like they dont even need to think. i was blown away by kt smiths and cdjrs smokes.
so my question is laying down the pressure with pokes
when do u start?
when do u stop?
how do u follow up?
i always catch myself do so many pokes that i somehow get blown up please help thank you

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
since im a online player i usually rely on crossups because its hard to AA online..but i know any real player can blow me up and i really just wanna stop jumping altogether. i live in jersey and ive fought and seen a few VSM guys at salty battles and Apex and AA is freaking natural for them almost looks like they dont even need to think. i was blown away by kt smiths and cdjrs smokes.
so my question is laying down the pressure with pokes
when do u start?
when do u stop?
how do u follow up?
i always catch myself do so many pokes that i somehow get blown up please help thank you
THREAD MOVED

Thanks for the compliments :)

Yea, AA is a HUGE part of my game with Smoke, and is just muscle memory/natural reaction now. It's also part of the reason I suck as an online player; AA-ing is near impossible.

As far as when to start poke pressure and what to follow up with, that's a harder question to answer and really depends on the habits of your opponent.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
thank u very much, i'll be using that b2. btw KT ggs the other day online, hopefully one day we do mirrors offline
Oh shit, I didn't realize who you were until I read your PSN tag.

Yea man, ggs. your Smoke is nice; I was much more comfortable fighting your other characters. I just can't function in the online metagame. It felt like if I wasn't already holding block when your SB appeared on screen I got hit lol.