What's new

Are You Having Trouble with Inputs?

Having Issues with Inputs?

• Total voters
I noticed online some things aren't working that great. For example....someone trying to cross me up so I reverse my inputs for ball roll or ex ball roll and I get something different. I go into the lab or play the cpu and it comes out 99% of the time. Do you think its just the lag?
Yes, because that is exactly my experience

virtiqaL

Noob
While I've experienced similar issues with inputs (I'm using the shitty DS4 pad), keep in mind that this isn't MK9 or Injustice, so obviously things aren't going to feel the same as those games. For example, the blockstun in this game alone was causing me issues at first because I would try to input something too quickly after coming out of block.

I ordered the Hori FC4 pad, so it'll be interesting to see if I experience less execution issues in general on a different pad or if it's because I simply still need to get used to this game.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I like, don't know what all the fuss is about. I have zero issues with the ps4 pad. Best pad ive ever used. And no one training with me has any issues either. If you get a neutral jump every time you jump back, then stop pressing up before you press back. Go into training mode, and look at your inputs.

Inputs in this game are very disappointing. It actually makes me not want to play certain characters. Here's an example:

I want to do Jax's EX Flying Punch, and then use the overhead bounce version. To do this, the commands are BF2,D. I need to press 'down' after the move starts in order to convert it into the other version.

Here's the issue, in this game (for whatever awful reason), pressing an additional direction after a special move input is buffered, will cancel that special move. So if I press "down" too early, not only am I not getting the version of Jax's move that I wanted, I'm not getting anything at all.

I can get around this, the question is- why the hell should I have to???? Not only is this counter intuitive in any game, but it's EXTREMELY counter intuitive in Mortal Kombat, where the control philosophy is largely "dial it in, and you'll get it". So suddenly I'm supposed to mix quick dialing in of inputs, with at the same time trying not to be TOO fast or I won't get anything.

The Jax version is just one example, but this actually screws with ALOT of things. If there's any reason on earth this would be useful to be in, it certainly shouldn't be the default and should just be some extra settings. But as a default part of the controls it is awful :(

Last edited:

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Yes i have all options turn off but I'm still having online input issues. Doing a back forward input seems like a task by itself. I cant get my Kano air ball to pop off on reaction and it leaves me wailing in the air.

I hope this is address soon NRS please. Mk9 i never had input issues at all.
I am not sure what problems you are having, but it's working fine for me. I am on PS4 and I use the DS4, Back Forward motions are not a problem, online or off. It may be the way you are holding the controller or pressing the buttons. And I did actually have input problems with MK9, played it on PS3 with a NYKO wired controller.

infamy23

FireBeard
I switch between the Xbone and PS4 pad regularly, and for the most part, I don't have issues on either controller. Except for one thing... command grabs.

I can do ferra/torr's grab 100% of the time on Xbone, but whenever I play on PS4, it becomes a roll of the dice. I don't even bother trying to play any character with a DBF input when I'm on PS4.

I like, don't know what all the fuss is about. I have zero issues with the ps4 pad. Best pad ive ever used. And no one training with me has any issues either. If you get a neutral jump every time you jump back, then stop pressing up before you press back. Go into training mode, and look at your inputs.
you mean if you and your buddys has no problems with input issues, these doesn't exist?
lmfao

this input engine has issues for sure! nobody knows what the problem is!

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
you mean if you and your buddys has no problems with input issues, these doesn't exist?
lmfao
Well no lmfaomofoafofaoma.

But anytime I or anyone else have had problems with inputs, we can go into training and replicate it, playing a training match, and when an issue arises we can see our inputs and identify the problem. And it's usually because didn't complete a full direction motion, or we hit an attack button before completing the direction motion, or a back forward motion was actually pressed as back to forward-down. Or we just arent inputting it fast enough. Etc. I'm willing to bet a lot of people could solve their problems this way.

Last edited:
Inputs in this game are very disappointing. It actually makes me not want to play certain characters. Here's an example:

Here's the issue, in this game (for whatever awful reason), pressing an additional direction after a special move input is buffered, will cancel that special move. So if I press "down" too early, not only am I not getting the version of Jax's move that I wanted, I'm not getting anything at all.
oh nice, maybe this is it!!

"Here's the issue, in this game (for whatever awful reason), pressing an additional direction after a special move input is buffered, will cancel that special move. So if I press "down" too early, not only am I not getting the version of Jax's move that I wanted, I'm not getting anything at all."

I want to do Jax's EX Flying Punch, and then use the overhead bounce version. To do this, the commands are BF2,D. I need to press 'down' after the move starts in order to convert it into the other version.

I can get around this, the question is- why the hell should I have to???? Not only is this counter intuitive in any game, but it's EXTREMELY counter intuitive in Mortal Kombat, where the control philosophy is large "dial it in, and you'll get it". So suddenly I'm supposed to mix quick dialing in of inputs, with at the same time trying not to be TOO fast or I won't get anything.

The Jax version is just one example, but this actually screws with ALOT of things. If there's any reason on earth this would be useful to be in, it certainly shouldn't be the default and should just be some extra settings. But as a default part of the controls it is unspeakable awful :(
this is the reason option select is possible in this game, this is a bug!!!

virtiqaL

Noob
I personally just don't like the pad in general, the dpad on ps3 felt better for me, I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's because the dpad on that controller had the buttons spaced slightly further apart? I'm also not a fan of the triggers.

The other day in training mode, I held up+back on the pad and my character just neutral jumped repeatedly. I just think the pad is hit or miss with people, I can play with it, but it's definitely not preferable.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Had major problems early doors, only problem I have now is Ermacs Soul Blast, most of the times it just comes out as 1, rather than bf1, makes me not want to pick him online at all.

@Tony at Home
@MAPUSA

Help me understand then. I just went into training to replicate what was shown in the Jax video, and I had zero issues, ps4 pad, inputting the string cancel quickly and then holding down. On block, and on hit.
brb... checking to see if fixed...

**EDIT**

Nope, I'm still able to replicate this issue reliably. XONE-specific bug perhaps, can someone else please double-check this for me? Because if it's only on the XONE, it's definitely a bug and not a "feature"

And yes, from what I saw in your video, you were doing it right. With your inputs exactly on XONE, the move won't come out.

Last edited:
Pretty often I get f1 when trying to do bf1 (Mileenas sai) and I still don't get why.

My other problem is sometimes jumping forward and backwards I jump straight because in MK9 even if you pressed up only then forward or backwards it would work because the jump wasn't frame 1 so you didn't have to press u and f or b at the same time.

Also I can't instant air projectiles consistently even though I think I'm pressing same buttons always, and sometimes works others not.

Matix218

Get over here!
The worst netcode/online connectivity to ever grace any game within the last 10 years.
But people are saying these input problems are also occuring during offline play. So netcode would not be a factor in that. It would either be the controller or the way the game is reading the inputs, or maybe we all just suck...

WidowPuppy

Attack pekingese
Well for myself, can't speak for others... Things that work consistently in the lab, fail online. But I also, unlike some of my friends, I am experiencing 5 to 7 frames of input delay in 95% of matches I play. I'm on a wired connection, 60 down 30 up and have no latency issues in any other multiplayer game in any genre. Notice inputs drop online constantly that are built into my muscle memory and do not drop offline. Haven't experienced any input problems offline other than my own execution errors (Play on both xbone and ps4, admittedly a lil sloppy on the ps4 pad that i'm adjusting to cause it's new for me). And yes, Back forward moves online drop more than anything else, for me anyway.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
It's not hard, just different. When i started playing I had issues but now i feel my inputs are pretty spot on.

I have the hardest time with liu Kangs f44 bk only when I'm trying 2 do f21 fb cancel f44 bk I can do f44 bk by its self but the hardest time when its after fire ball cancel

Slayhawk84

Yup, still a noob.
When I play online I consistently have the incorrect string coming out after blocking and trying to punish. 214 with Raiden will usually just perform a jab. f1->df2 will usually just come out as either 2 or nothing at all.

I know this happens because I input the moves too early while trying to compensate for the input delay but it's still frustrating as hell, especially when the amount of input delay changes throughout the match.

Offline, I have no input issues to report that can't be attributed to input sloppiness or unintentional option selects. I play on PS4 with the standard issue controller.

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
It seems to be the opposite of MK9 where:
1) Instead of giving you too much time between directional inputs to get a special, it gives NO time.
2)Instead of giving you a lot of room for error it gives CLOSE TO NONE. You can thank the inclusion of diagonal direction recognition for that as I noticed the same problem with Injustice.

These 2 things make things like DBF motions very hard. In MK9 I could just slide my thumb from Down to Back to Forward and it would come out as :d:l:d:r but it would still give me the Special.

In Injustice, with the inclusion of diagonal inputs, what was previously :d:l:d:r becomes :d:qtl:l:qtl:d:qtr:r and there are too many wrong inputs for a special to come out. So I adjusted myself to do QCB then Forward instead making the input :d:qtl:l:r.

I tried to do the same with MKX but the problem is since there is a very small time frame between directional inputs to count as a Special, I have to do :d:qtl:l:r at a very fast speed, giving my inputs a bigger chance to not come out clean.

Also I bought the HORI Pad for X1 thinking the DPad would be good and it's only SLIGHTLY better than the X1 default pad. I find myself getting a lot of unwanted jumps on this pad and it pisses me off a lot. Man they need good comverters for X1/PS4 ASAP!!

I like it less and less.
It feels like it doesnt register half of the times, combos I am trying to do. I am no pro. But it feels like its made too hard for casual players. And that aint no fun.