What's new

Are You Having Trouble with Inputs?

Having Issues with Inputs?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 9158

I was having problems doing BD movements, like Mileena's roll. I just hammered it out in practice until I got it.

Just something to be aware of. He mentions it in the video but if you buffer a special after a string and then hit a direction before it comes out it will cancel the special.

Also turn off input shortcuts and release check. Make sure when you are doing specials you get the directions in clean. Specifically the direction right before the face button. For example, if you have a special like db2. Make sure you hit BACK clean. If you do d, d+b, 2 it won't come out (It will if you have input shortcuts on, but this only works in the neutral game, if you try to cancel a string into a special, you must input the special clean whether input shortcuts is on or not)

You need to do d,b,2 OR d,d+b,b,2 OR d+b,b,2
Totally didn't know about that point at 9:00, holy crap. That's actually pretty awful as a default. They should reeeeeaaaally patch that out. i have a feeling it's screwing with a TON of people's combos...

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I seem to be one of the few who has absolutely NO issues with the PS4 d-pad. People say all the time that bf motions result in them neutral jumping, but I have never had that happen. Jacqui's combo ender is pretty much always bf3 and it always comes out when I put it in. *shrug*
Not sure about everyone else but I have no issues with combos that end in a BF input or has a BF input within it. My issue with the PS4 pad is doing raw BF inputs. That's where it is super inconsistent for me and many others I'm sure. In Injustice, I would always slide my thumb across the dpad to do the BF input but on the PS4 pad, a lot of the time I get a jump or I get a standing/back/forward 1,2,3,4 whatever.

I can do BF inputs in MKX on the PS4 pad, but I feel like I have to be really precise with my inputs to a point where I have to hit back and forward without sliding my thumb which takes more time and isn't something I want to be worrying about in the middle of a tournament match. It's really annoying.

Matix218

Get over here!
Not sure about everyone else but I have no issues with combos that end in a BF input or has a BF input within it. My issue with the PS4 pad is doing raw BF inputs. That's where it is super inconsistent for me and many others I'm sure. In Injustice, I would always slide my thumb across the dpad to do the BF input but on the PS4 pad, a lot of the time I get a jump or I get a standing/back/forward 1,2,3,4 whatever.

I can do BF inputs in MKX on the PS4 pad, but I feel like I have to be really precise with my inputs to a point where I have to hit back and forward without sliding my thumb which takes more time and isn't something I want to be worrying about in the middle of a tournament match. It's really annoying.
Honeybee do you think it is the ps4 pad itself or the actual design of how the game reads inputs being more strict/precise?

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
I seem to be one of the few who has absolutely NO issues with the PS4 d-pad. People say all the time that bf motions result in them neutral jumping, but I have never had that happen. Jacqui's combo ender is pretty much always bf3 and it always comes out when I put it in. *shrug*
It's more so doing bf motions while in the neutral game than in combos , I recently started playing reptile and his mobility is garbage without elbow dash (bf2) and its so difficult getting around with him , yet I have no difficulty ending a combo in slide

Heartwire

Awesomesauce

Just something to be aware of. He mentions it in the video but if you buffer a special after a string and then hit a direction before it comes out it will cancel the special.

Also turn off input shortcuts and release check. Make sure when you are doing specials you get the directions in clean. Specifically the direction right before the face button. For example, if you have a special like db2. Make sure you hit BACK clean. If you do d, d+b, 2 it won't come out (It will if you have input shortcuts on, but this only works in the neutral game, if you try to cancel a string into a special, you must input the special clean whether input shortcuts is on or not)

You need to do d,b,2 OR d,d+b,b,2 OR d+b,b,2
This video is actually very very helpful.
This might be why I sometimes randomly drop combo's where I have to move.
I was not aware at all that directional input before a special is thrown out messes it up.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
Simple question. Feel like things arent coming out? Simplest of inputs feel like they don't come out sometimes.

An example is f3nutpunch with Johnny. I don't know why i cant do this string but it baffles me that I have the biggest trouble doing it.

I only make this thread because I know people are experiencing trouble too. Use this thread to give tips and share your concern.
First of all, let's all give our proper respect to @Mikemetroid for having the courage to make this thread. And yes, the most entrenched, deeply ingrained motion in all fighting games; the fireball motion (df+button) doesn't come out sometimes and I don't know why. Too many things have changed at the same time for me: new game, new pad, new character to say that the issue is definitively "x". I'm reassured that others are experiencing what I can only call an input bug at this point. Hopefully this gets figured out soon.

Last edited:

Shady

Noob
With back forward inputs yes. I've never had trouble with them in MK9 (and I played Kabal, so BF was probably the most used input for me). Here, I don't know what it is. It's either a jump, or some random move.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
Honeybee do you think it is the ps4 pad itself or the actual design of how the game reads inputs being more strict/precise?
I had the exact same issue when I used the PS4 pad to play INJ on both the PS3 and the PS4 so I'm inclined to say it's the PS4 pad which is the issue.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
currently with takeda its really hard to hit confirm and he is so unsafe on everything that its super essentials to his game. i'm stuck using ps4 and xbox one pad so back forward motions are huge pain. if you see me doing just b21 on hit with takeda know that if i was using hitbox i would have hit confirmed and you would have been dead /rant.
This is me in a nut shell

Shady

Noob
I think it's something with the PS4 pad. Pig has come out and said it. A lot of MK players are saying it. A lot of injustice players are saying it, mostly pad players. If it was any other input as far as BF goes, I would write it off and grind execution. But that one I must have done a million times on different controllers.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
@Mikemetroid

Are you playing with input shortcuts off?

With them off F3 nutpunch is much more strict on what inputs it allows.

If you input F3, b, db, d, df, 3 you will not get f3 nut punch out with input shortcuts off. With them on this input is allowed.

Furthermore, specials cannot be canceled into using the shortcut notation. For example JC nut punch can be performed with b, db, 3 in neutral with input shortcuts on. However F3, b, db, 3 will not execute F3 cancelled into nut punch.

If you are used to MK9 you may be used to do b, db, 1 for nut punch in your combos and not realize it. it will just take some getting used to.
So I should turn off shortcut specials then for better accuracy?

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
I struggle to do Kano's bf3 midair and also any input that has a dbf. I'm trying to convince myself it's the controller because I has no problems with these inputs in mk9, but it might very well be an mkx thing.
I'm struggling with commando grabs. Every time I go for a grab Nothing hapens. Also, his air ball never liked to register when I need it to.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
Wow. You can input a whole combo with a special at the end, and if you know the whole string will be blocked, you can prevent the special from coming out by pressing any direction.